PDA

View Full Version : Meridian 557 owners

macvisual
11-11-2011, 21:14
Presently trying to sell my (refurbished) Quad 11 valve amps, so looking around for a power amp with XLR (balanced) inputs, I quite like the style of the older Meridian 557 power amp.

Would love to hear from any Meridian 557 owners on how/why they like it and your views/thoughts/experience on how it sounds please?

Spectral Morn
11-11-2011, 21:26
Presently trying to sell my (refurbished) Quad 11 valve amps, so looking around for a power amp with XLR (balanced) inputs, I quite like the style of the older Meridian 557 power amp.

Would love to hear from any Meridian 557 owners on how/why they like it and your views/thoughts/experience on how it sounds please?

Hi Peter

Have a look for a Meridian G56 Peter, I use one along with a G02 pre-amplifier quite a lot these days and really like the sound. Shock horror valve lover using solid state....mostly :eek:

Not heard a 557, I don't think :scratch: so can't comment on how it would compare to a G56.

I wrote about these two bits quite awhile ago and liked them so much I bought them.....http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/20/03/2010/meridian-g-series-components-can-you-have-designer-looks-and-excellent-sound/

Regards D S D L

macvisual
11-11-2011, 21:41
If and when I sell my Quad 11's I'm looking for a used power amp with XLR inputs with a max budget of £800 to connect to my older Classe Audio 30 pre-amp.

wee tee cee
12-11-2011, 17:19
Peter,
I know its off topic but how are getting on with the MF M1.I really rate it, Haven't heard anything that betters it Yet.
Regards Tony.

macvisual
12-11-2011, 17:32
Hi Tony,

Still playing my M.Fidelity M1 DAC every day, it's a fabulous piece of kit, loving it, totally excellent sounding DAC for the money I believe!

I was using my Sony JA50ES (mini-disc) before the M1 DAC, but the M.Fidelity is superb, up-sampling at 192kHz etc... I love the rear panel, stuffed with versatile inputs/outputs.

M1 DAC in situ;

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo268/macvisual/IMG_4170.jpg