PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm Wanted

Mike
11-11-2011, 20:28
It's one of those 'now or never' moments!

I'm looking for a tonearm in the £750 range, I might stretch a little further, but not much!

I'd better 'declare an interest' here and say; I've pretty much decided on the new Audio Note Arm-1 http://decoaudio.com/deco_audio_tonearms1.html (http://decoaudio.com/deco_audio_tonearms1.html).

Unless, of course, anyone has something interesting for sale?

This is one of those "do-it-now-or-forget-it-forever" moments, so any suggestions or offers to sell would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike.

StanleyB
11-11-2011, 20:41
What TT were you hoping to fit it on? The two need to be in synergy.

Mike
11-11-2011, 20:47
What TT were you hoping to fit it on? The two need to be in synergy.

Oh bollocks yes, sorry! :doh:

It's going on a Denon (Vantage Audio serviced and modded) DP-3000 direct drive TT with an Audio Technica ART-1 cartdidge.

This will all feed into a (very) modified WD Phono3.

Cheers...

montesquieu
11-11-2011, 21:34
I've been round the loop on arms including an Ittok II, SME 3009, Roksan Nima, Alphason HR100s and Jelco 750-D (all on an LP12); Townshend Excalibur on a Rock Reference; various 12in arms including Thomas Shick, Funk arm and PU7.

After hearing the new AN Arm3 in several setups including my own, I've just ordered one. the only difference with an Arm1 is the silver wiring, and if you aren't using it with something really wiring sensitive like an AN Io or some other really low output cartridge, then the Arm1 is an ideal choice.

I don't think there's anything available to match it even second hand.

Mike
11-11-2011, 21:38
I don't think there's anything available to match it even second hand.

This is where I am right now...

Marco
11-11-2011, 23:36
As Tom says, Mike, there's no need to look any further than the Arm-1. If you remember, I recommended it to you a while back, so I'm pleased that you're now treating yourself :)

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1268/audionotearm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/audionotearm1.jpg/)

It's a veritable bargain, and deserves to be championed more, so enjoy!

Marco.

Mike
11-11-2011, 23:53
Why on earth do you want to spend that much?

Coz I can... just this once!

Of course, If I can achieve the same results for less dosh, then by all means let me know! :)

Mike
12-11-2011, 00:04
Huh? :scratch:

Mike
12-11-2011, 00:19
As Tom says, Mike, there's no need to look any further than the Arm-1. If you remember, I recommended it to you a while back, so I'm pleased that you're now treating yourself :)

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1268/audionotearm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/audionotearm1.jpg/)

It's a veritable bargain, and deserves to be championed more, so enjoy!

Marco.

Indeed you did!

However, I managed to hear one for myself (albeit in a different room and system) and I agree!

I'm in a bit of a quandary though, in so much as I could (just about) stretch to the ARM-2... which is just about three hundred quid more, and is a whole different kettle of fish!

I'd rather stick to my £750 budget.... but I could stretch it a bit!

;)

Mike
12-11-2011, 00:23
Well theres an whole spectrum of cheap amr's (from the past) that are probably the best sounding arms ever for peanutz

I'm listening... :)

montesquieu
12-11-2011, 00:29
Well theres an whole spectrum of cheap amr's (from the past) that are probably the best sounding arms ever for peanutz

Have you heard the Arm3? :lol:

I've been round the block and for the £500 or so of the Arm1, I can't think of a single genuine competitor at the money.

Not to mention issues of buying an old arm that might need bearings checked, rewiring etc etc.

But do, please make some recommendations I'm all ears .... see if I'm wasting my money or not ....:doh:

Mike
12-11-2011, 00:46
Greatest ever arm ive owned assuming you are into MC Cartridges

Fidelity Research FR64x
Mission 'Mechanic'
Syrinx 'PU2/3'

Ah... now! I've looked into the FR's and (by and large) they're too expensive when they come up. Nice though, I'll give you that! :)

The Mission i don't know. Open to advice on that one.

Syrinx... maybe!

montesquieu
12-11-2011, 00:48
Greatest ever arm ive owned assuming you are into MC Cartridges

Fidelity Research FR64x
Mission 'Mechanic'
Syrinx 'PU2/3'

if not, the best low mass arms i owned are:

Mayware 'Formula 4'
Mision '774' (Original)
Grace '707'

Hmm FR64x - I'll have two please if you can locate them for £500!
Mission Mechanic - never heard of it
Syrinx PU2 - no match for the Arm1. Please.
Syrinx PU3 - well I just got rid of my PU3-based Audio Origami 12in PU7, a very fine arm indeed, to go for the Arm3. I'd own one again but for the Io, the Arm3 is superior.

None of the low mass arms you quote are sensible arms for modern MC catridges and none of these would be on my shopping list. Grace is lovely though, if I ever put a vintage LP12 system together.

Mike
12-11-2011, 00:50
well I just got rid of my PU3-based Audio Origami 12in PU7.

Erm... I think I might end up with the very same arm.

Small world, maybe? ;)

Mike
12-11-2011, 00:54
Lets not fall out, I'm "just askin" like! ;)

Mike
12-11-2011, 00:59
No falling out but he is on my ignore list from now. I suggest i dont want challenging

Relax bud, your comments/advice always welcome! ;)

Mike
12-11-2011, 01:17
I've got to admit, though.... I'm seriously struggling to think of a better arm (that's actually available for sale!) for the ~£650 price of the ARM1!

But is the ARM2 worth the extra £300 or so? :scratch:

Marco
12-11-2011, 07:40
I've got to admit, though.... I'm seriously struggling to think of a better arm (that's actually available for sale!) for the ~£650 price of the ARM1!

New, no such arm exists.

But is the ARM2 worth the extra £300 or so? :scratch:

That depends on how much difference the 'fancier' wiring makes! ;)

I'd imagine that you could upgrade an Arm-1 to an Arm-2, at a later stage, so I'd just go for the former, for now. You may find that when you hear it, that you can't even be arsed upgrading any further.

Btw, the only other arm I could think of that would give the Arm-3 a run for its money (in terms of the addictive way it presents music), at roughly the same price, is the Funk Firm FXR, which sonically, is rather special indeed :)

Marco.

Clive
12-11-2011, 07:55
It may not be for everyone but I suggest the Trans-Fi Terminator. For sound it's really sets a standard for the others to try to appoach. You'd need to be happy to deal with the pump (easy for most) and put up with a really easy alignment procedure!

John
12-11-2011, 08:04
A second for the Terminator pro set up on this is a lot eaiser than traditional arms and performance will be imo in another league

Ammonite Audio
12-11-2011, 08:20
I am somewhat biased, owning an Arm 3 for some time - it's by far and away the finest sounding arm that I've owned, having a really lovely dynamic, expressive but even handed sound with notably deep bass; and, ultimately, it's musically very inviting and rewarding. It's also very easy to use and set up, which helps. Martin will attest that it does go very nicely with my favourite Ortofon Kontrapunkt B.

You really can't go wrong with the Arm 1, even before you start considering its modest price. I don't think it's fair to compare it with other arms around the £600 price point - its performance competition most likely lies in the £1000+ range. I wouldn't be surprised if most people preferred it to the SMEV.

John
12-11-2011, 08:36
It depends Mike if you willing to go down the parrell tracking route The Terminator totally destroyed a SME4 silver wired I was using on a VPI HW19 mk4 in every department and its British too

Mike
12-11-2011, 09:53
Hmmm... strong resemblance!

http://www.heliusdesigns.co.uk/_wp_generated/wpb96f60f5_0f.jpg

Clive
12-11-2011, 11:01
I know that some people feel the Terminator arm is not as beautiful as they would like but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll try to explain it in a couple of ways.

1) An arm is a precision technical instrument so if it looks like one then that's fine by me.

2) Our view as to what is good looking is shaped by our experience. Imagine a young chap before he's experienced a few girlfriends. He may find a size zero model beautiful but when they get together he finds her boney and hard to the touch. He then happens across a curvy girl with whom he shares a lot of pleasure. Gradually he views curvy girls with an admiring eye and realizes the size zeros make great clothes horses but he's not looking for a clothes horse. To me now pivoted arms are like a size zero.

The point is that you find beauty in what gives you pleasure, whether that be size zero or curvy, pivoted or parallel tracking arms.

Mike
12-11-2011, 13:53
Thanks folks, but I'm now sorted. :band:

A mate phoned me earlier and offered me something a bit special at a price I'd be an idiot to turn down! :o

montesquieu
12-11-2011, 13:57
Spill the beans then! what are you getting?

sq225917
12-11-2011, 14:13
Hmmm... strong resemblance!

http://www.heliusdesigns.co.uk/_wp_generated/wpb96f60f5_0f.jpg

That's because it's based on the Helius design. Let's not forget the Helius weren't exactly setting the tonearm world alight when they were available.

Mike
12-11-2011, 14:33
Spill the beans then! what are you getting?

A foot long piece of J7's finest audio bling!

:)

Ammonite Audio
12-11-2011, 15:03
That's because it's based on the Helius design. Let's not forget the Helius weren't exactly setting the tonearm world alight when they were available.

Correct, but only up to a point - that Helius tonearm clearly provided some inspiration for the new Audio Note arms, but look closer at the design of the one-piece machined headshell/armtube, the unique horizontal bearing and the (Rega compatible) alignment of the thing, and you'll see that the designs may share a look, but that's pretty much it. Helius had some fantastic ideas that often did not work in practice due to poor execution; the Audio Note arm is, to my layman's eye, a brilliant piece of intuitive design and astonishing engineering quality made possible only by modern CAD/CAM processes. That it sells for such a sensible figure is just amazing.

selfaddict
12-11-2011, 18:11
Hi Clive and John.

Terminator has been on my list for a second/first arm for a long time now. I have been really happy with my 12" Jelco. I am even happier now because I finally, after a long hunt, found ex demo Analysis Plus Silver oval tonearm cable for it with bargain price. I am going to buy one of the SPU's mono or stereo for the Jelco, but with what cartridges the terminator would perform it's best? Can I use low compliance carts like my ESCo modifier Denon DL-103 or do I need to buy something from Decca :scratch:?

I know that some people feel the Terminator arm is not as beautiful as they would like but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll try to explain it in a couple of ways.

1) An arm is a precision technical instrument so if it looks like one then that's fine by me.

2) Our view as to what is good looking is shaped by our experience. Imagine a young chap before he's experienced a few girlfriends. He may find a size zero model beautiful but when they get together he finds her boney and hard to the touch. He then happens across a curvy girl with whom he shares a lot of pleasure. Gradually he views curvy girls with an admiring eye and realizes the size zeros make great clothes horses but he's not looking for a clothes horse. To me now pivoted arms are like a size zero.

The point is that you find beauty in what gives you pleasure, whether that be size zero or curvy, pivoted or parallel tracking arms.

Clive
12-11-2011, 18:38
Hi Clive and John.

Terminator has been on my list for a second/first arm for a long time now. I have been really happy with my 12" Jelco. I am even happier now because I finally, after a long hunt, found ex demo Analysis Plus Silver oval tonearm cable for it with bargain price. I am going to buy one of the SPU's mono or stereo for the Jelco, but with what cartridges the terminator would perform it's best? Can I use low compliance carts like my ESCo modifier Denon DL-103 or do I need to buy something from Decca :scratch:?
Hi Juha,

You certainly don't need a Decca for the Terminator. Deccas don't suit every arm and the fact that the Terminator copes perfectly shows something for sure. I know that many people use 103's on Terminators without needing to add mass. For some reason parallel trackers behave differently to pivoted arms, they seem less picky about cartridges. I know that Vic has made wands for SPUs mounted via an exchangeable headshell. "Normal" MCs are fine too.

Clive

John
12-11-2011, 18:46
I use a 103 on my tt its works well but when I heard a mod one on Vics it sounded even better, its a we bit vague on my system (un modified) but also my phono is not state of the art yet
With the Decca its magical but speak to Vic he tried loads of different carts with it and is really friendly to deal with

selfaddict
12-11-2011, 19:24
:hijack: Sorry to Mike of hijacking your thread.

Thanks for your comments re Terminator arm. I wonder if Vic would take my KTM 625 supermoto for a part exchange for the Terminator :lol:

montesquieu
13-11-2011, 00:11
My new Audio Note Arm3 is now fitted and running ...

Very very pleased with it, wonderfully fluid and natural, great bass, wonderful detail, great control too as it's tracking very securely.

What you don't get in pics is the 'nice to handle' feeling you get, it's beautifully made, not as show-offy-hi-tech as an SME V but the adjustments are there to hand including easy VTA.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/voyd-arm3.jpg

Mike
13-11-2011, 07:19
:hijack: Sorry to Mike of hijacking your thread

Now problem, I'm sorted now so carry on......

stevied
13-11-2011, 09:07
My new Audio Note Arm3 is now fitted and running ...

Very very pleased with it, wonderfully fluid and natural, great bass, wonderful detail, great control too as it's tracking very securely.

What you don't get in pics is the 'nice to handle' feeling you get, it's beautifully made, not as show-offy-hi-tech as an SME V but the adjustments are there to hand including easy VTA.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/voyd-arm3.jpg

I might go for mk 1 of those

Marco
13-11-2011, 09:13
I forgot all about the Terminator (a very valid choice at the price points mentioned) :doh: That's the problem when things are 'out of mind', because the designer keeps a very low profile. Vic needs to be more proactive in terms of promoting his designs! ;)

Congrats on the 12-incher PU7, Mikey - nice choice! I do rate Johnny's designs very highly. They are certainly in the same league, or if not even better, as the Audio Note's mentioned. Is yours the chrome finish, like this:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3019/pu7kr.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/pu7kr.jpg/)

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5016/94361580.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/94361580.jpg/)

Or something more 'blingy'? Go on, tell me yours is pink! :lol:

Marco.

Mike
13-11-2011, 09:23
Or something more 'blingy'?

Yes!

but not pink....

Marco
13-11-2011, 09:44
Gold?

Marco.

Mike