PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox

aquapiranha
06-11-2011, 22:43
Just in case anyone is interested, you can use this program to share files and sync across devices for free (2GB). It is a good way to back up important documents for free...

http://www.dropbox.com/

:)

The Vinyl Adventure
07-11-2011, 08:36
It's brilliant!
We use it at work all the time!
We have clients download it then they can put web content in, images etc, we put stuff in the folder for them to proof... It's fantastic! We have the 50gb accounts each so it can act as a cloud back up to a lot of stuff too
Much of my work is just in the Dropbox, so I can work from any computer, and then any computer I do work from, by the nature of Dropbox also contains a backup of my work!
It's very very good!
I also have shared folders with a number of members of RPF for them to send me large versions of images etc!
There's even an iPhone app that allows you to upload images which will then of course be synced with every pc you have Dropbox installed ... Although that for me has been superseded by iCloud now ..

DSJR
07-11-2011, 08:53
I tried to send some "surprise" FLAC's to Alex a couple of weeks ago and a week later (laptop on 10 hours a day) it still wasn't complete. The fact that he had them already didn't really help either :scratch:

Apparently, if several files are combined together into a larger "zipped" file, the upload speed is better?????

WAD62
07-11-2011, 10:26
I tried to send some "surprise" FLAC's to Alex a couple of weeks ago and a week later (laptop on 10 hours a day) it still wasn't complete. The fact that he had them already didn't really help either :scratch:

Apparently, if several files are combined together into a larger "zipped" file, the upload speed is better?????

It all depends on your connection speed Dave, FLAC files represent huge amounts of data so it can take some time.

Given that FLAC is already a compressed format zipping them will have little effect if any ;)

Alex_UK
07-11-2011, 21:25

The thought was still very much appreciated, though! :)

I do agree it is a rather cool bit of "kit" though, the free version being fine for most people.