PDA

View Full Version : IPL Transmission line speakers

wee tee cee
05-11-2011, 13:22
Does anyone have any experience with these speakers?
I am looking at the S2TLM model and wondered if anyone had built or heard them.
Any advice greatly received.
Regards Tony.

bobbasrah
05-11-2011, 15:31
I think the 2 is the little brother of the S4k that I built last year Tony. Superbly developed designs by Ivor I would say, and I do note that apart from the 4, he has now reorientated the tweeter at ear level and retweaked the crossover to suit.
I can't remember who was on this forum intending to have a go at the 5 version, but did not hear anything further on it from over 6 weeks ago.
Must get around to posting some pics of that build as I was quite chuffed when they were finished...

PS - Why the 2TL?

wee tee cee
06-11-2011, 02:16
2tl suits me cabinet size wise and the bigger bass/mid unit should give me the grunt Im after.The cost of the full kit is manageable with the additional cost of silver solder/internal wiring.Thanks for the advice.
Tony.

alan47
11-11-2011, 15:31
Hi,I built a pair of S3TLM's five years ago and still use them most days.Good fun making and tuning them,and they still work very well.
He is only an hour down the road from me so i went and listened to all his models,i bought the S3's as the sound and size suited me and my not very big room.I will never need a sub,that's for sure.
Ivan's a very helpful chap to deal with,shame you are so far away.I used to live near you,but moved down south to avoid the midges.:scratch:
Good Luck.

bobbasrah
11-11-2011, 17:59
The 3 if was the next model up the range from the 2, now discontinued from Ivor's lineup I believe, so Alan l you have not only a cracker of a speaker but a collector's item. The DIY is the icing on the cake for a hand built speaker...

wee tee cee
11-11-2011, 19:20
Hi,I built a pair of S3TLM's five years ago and still use them most days.Good fun making and tuning them,and they still work very well.
He is only an hour down the road from me so i went and listened to all his models,i bought the S3's as the sound and size suited me and my not very big room.I will never need a sub,that's for sure.
Ivan's a very helpful chap to deal with,shame you are so far away.I used to live near you,but moved down south to avoid the midges.:scratch:
Good Luck.Alan,
Just out of interest,was there a lot of tuning involved...regards the wool etc. I quite fancy having a go but would be starting from scratch soldering and construction wise.
Ikea furniture is about as far as I have ventured.No need to solder anything....
Regards Tony.

alan47
11-11-2011, 19:26
The good thing about DIY is;;YOU CAN PUT AS MUCH GLUE ON AS YOU LIKE,no bean counters when you are your own boss.
The S3tlm is the same as the S2,but with a SEAS H398 Aluminium Dome Tweeter and a slightly deeper cab.The ribbon tweeter he went over to on all his kits after that is the only difference.
There is another advantage to kit speakers;
They are not so easy to sell,so you tend to keep them longer.Saves a lot of box swappping,you only have to worry about upgrading your source.
Cheers.

alan47
11-11-2011, 19:50
Tony,
In hindsight,all my tuning was a waste of time,i spent six weeks messing about with the wool etc and ended up where i started.Just follow his suggestions and you wont be far off.
I spent all my working life mending JCB's etc,the smallest thing i worked on was a cement mixer,so if i can solder a xover unit ,so can anybody.Basic soldering skills will be enough.It's not a circuit board after all ,plenty of room.Just take your time.Good luck,you wont regret it..
Regards Alan.

bobbasrah
11-11-2011, 20:19
+1

wee tee cee
12-11-2011, 17:11
Thanks chaps....just needed a bit of encouragement,Sounds do-able. I'm pretty happy with my source just now so really fancy doing the rest justice with some better speakers...
Will let you know how I get on.Bob mentioned spray paint finish,might give that a go.
Midges....I know,The highland ones have Kalashnikovs.
Regards Tony.

bobbasrah
12-11-2011, 17:50
Money is tight and all that but if you can spring the extra 90 for the 3.0 Fountek on top of what you are already earmarking, you may be pleasantly surprised. Ivor may be worth chatting with as he knows the differences intimately. That tweeter is a cracker, and I am hearing it in all it's glory right now.....