PDA

View Full Version : Music that 'feels like home'

Beechwoods
16-11-2008, 08:53
I thought it'd be intertesting to pick up on something Andy831 said over on the Brass Bands (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=22984&postcount=16) thread - what music makes you feel like you're back home, or reminds you of where you come from?

For me, I think the thing that sums up being 'British' is Jerusalem. I'm not from one of the regions with a strong musical heritage, but Jerusalem always makes me think of England :trust:

alb
16-11-2008, 09:37
The Simpsons theme tune always reminds me of home.
That bit where the cars arrive at the same time, and everyone wants to watch the telly.:)

Beechwoods
16-11-2008, 10:01
The bit at the Nuclear Power plant reminds me of work :)

John
16-11-2008, 11:58
Celtic fiddle music reminds me of my routes
Isley Bros Summer Breeze reminds me of summer
and for some reason prog rocks always feels so British

Joe
18-04-2010, 23:02
Half Man Half Biscuit, especially when they use lines like:

'I didn’t take much time convincing her
Baby, I’m from the Wirral peninsula'

'Because you had a daughter, and chose to call her Rain
Because you didn’t indicate to go down Woodchurch Lane'

'Remind our kid of Moroder
Remind our kid of Moroder
Moroder
Moroder
M’road out of here's a trunk route
A552
A552'

MartinT
19-04-2010, 06:17
Dire Straits makes me think of home, especially as I was abroad when 'Sultans of Swing' was a hit.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-04-2010, 07:40
I can't think of much that makes me think of "home" or England specifically, although oddly spin doctors firs album makes me think of holidays in Portugal ... That was where I first heard and liked any sort of guitar based "rock" music in the form of the spin doctors that I really liked!
Neil diamond, the Jackson 5 and the theme tune to Thomas the tank make my think of being in the car with my dad when I was little... That would be from traveling home when he picked me up from the child minders in the evening

Haselsh1
19-04-2010, 08:16
Boston 'More Than A Feeling'

It reminds me of my early motorcycling days in Lincolnshire on a Kawasaki H2C 750 triple.

The Grand Wazoo
19-04-2010, 09:16
Some ideas from me……….

Specific tracks:
'Oliver's Army' – Elvis Costello & the Attractions
'Penny Lane', 'Eleanor Rigby'– The Beatles
'Chalkhills & Children' – XTC
'Up The Junction' – Squeeze (probably most of those Squeeze singles would do it for me!)
'The Easter Parade' & 'Eventide' – The Faith Brothers
'Shipbuilding' – by whoever

Albums:
Jethro Tull – 'Songs from the Wood'
David Bowie – 'Hunky Dory'
The Zombies – 'Odysee and Oracle'

Bands/Performers:
Ronnie Lane – things like 'The Poacher' – how could they be about anywhere else?
The Kinks – pretty obvious really – 'Waterloo Sunset', 'The Village Green Preservation Society', 'Sunny Afternoon', 'Lazy Old Sun', 'Sweet Lady Genevieve', 'Sitting in the Midday Sun' (God, they did a lot of songs about the sun, didn't they?)
XTC
Roy Harper
Robert Wyatt
Billy Bragg

Apart from the above, the single sound (& I suppose you could call it music) that reminds me of England, whenever & wherever I hear it no matter what is the sound of a woodpigeon.

DanJennings
19-04-2010, 12:03
XTC and the Kinks agreed...
Madness and Genesis, definitely, and all snotty original punk bands... especially people like Splodgenessabounds

Rare Bird
19-04-2010, 12:52
For me, I think the thing that sums up being 'British' is Jerusalem. I'm not from one of the regions with a strong musical heritage, but Jerusalem always makes me think of England :trust:

Done properly that is ;)

http://open.spotify.com/track/0IPdb12l2DwtxgjY1ILgKr

MartinT
19-04-2010, 12:57
Ah, the ELP version. Yes indeed.

Rare Bird
19-04-2010, 13:17
http://open.spotify.com/track/5zSC5iTs4iPiETs1i5Aogb

Alex_UK
19-04-2010, 20:15
Other than Jerusalem, "Home" as in England, I don't really have any tracks that come to mind, but "Home as in being a kid in my parent's house", it would have to be Steeleye Span, probably "All Around My Hat" or "Gaudete" - though "Ralph McTell - Streets of London" would be another.

Themis
19-04-2010, 20:25
Rebetiko music feels like home to me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebetiko). ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
19-04-2010, 20:33
Dan, have you seen my kind of blue tt thread

DanJennings
20-04-2010, 10:33
Dan, have you seen my kind of blue tt thread

nope, will have a nose in a minute.

back on topic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rykzz/Black_and_White_Towns/

really good BBC doc. about music from and about British suburbia....

includes interviews with Andy Partridge :stalks: Ray Davies, Damon Albarn, Paul Weller, and a couple of others

well worth a listen :)

Jason P
22-04-2010, 19:00
England? Title notwithstanding, anything by the late lamented Kirsty makes me think of home...

_fwtFSEovro

and what for me is quintissentially English, the fragrant Kate...

tWdHOm256N4

on a more cynical note, can't beleive this was written in 1984. Listen to the lyrics, could be today!

cHzOG4mJ0PA

Anything by the Copper Family

WFP8K-oP-ag

and Thomas Dolby always reminds me of England, even when he's not here:

ArEBFLZsK8s

Alex_UK
22-04-2010, 21:37
on a more cynical note, can't beleive this was written in 1984. Listen to the lyrics, could be today!

One of my all time favourite tracks from an all time favourite album, from an all time (you get the drift...)

Indeed, same sh!t, different Century, it would appear! ;)

Beechwoods
22-04-2010, 22:43
The Men They Couldn't Hang always makes me think of England, at least Thatcher's England.

The Ghosts Of Cable Street always makes me want to stand up and take my cap off :)

2FuRIow6cco

GzKv5gjOzTA

Jason P
23-04-2010, 12:38
One of my all time favourite tracks from an all time favourite album, from an all time (you get the drift...)

I think this is one of my all time fave tracks - reminds me of summer at art college driving around in my 2CV with the top down, girlie at my side!!

phWv7l8Lm_A

Think I need to go for a The the sesh!!:cool:

Alex_UK
23-04-2010, 14:37
I think this is one of my all time fave tracks - reminds me of summer at art college driving around in my 2CV with the top down, girlie at my side!!

I bet She was lying on her back with her lips parted squealing like a stuffed pig... :eyebrows:

M1GY4klP_tA

Jason P
24-04-2010, 15:47
I bet She was lying on her back with her lips parted squealing like a stuffed pig... :eyebrows:

I couldn't possibly comment.

:eek::eyebrows::eek::stalks:

DSJR
24-04-2010, 21:17
Ashra - Deep Distance

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oinoP5qd9LI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oinoP5qd9LI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

aquapiranha
24-04-2010, 22:05
Obviously the band name here does not represent where I am from, but I just remember listening to this track over and over at home when I was a kid and also in the car on days out. Happy times.

IcsVPis1iNs

Beechwoods
25-04-2010, 06:54
I grew up near Stourbridge in the West Mids. This was the soundtrack to being 15 for me.

933mX9h1hK8

TGhXasAv1P0

... and all the bands playing local town halls. Lein To Disaster, Cake (not the US version :lol:) Bathchair Suicide, Stinkin' Fish... Soundtrack to a childhood. I used to record shows by my mates' bands onto a dictaphone. One day I'll transfer them to CD for old times' sake.

The Grand Wazoo
08-04-2012, 23:49
From The Grave

MartinT
09-04-2012, 08:04
I was about to say Dire Straits when I realise that I said it years ago back in the thread!

Dusty Springfield, prog and punk rock.
Walton, Elgar, Delius and Holst all make me think of Blighty.

aquapiranha
09-04-2012, 09:16
Not sure why I cannot edit my original entry, but here it is again anyway...

t4QK8RxCAwo

As I said, it reminds me of trips out in the car when I was a kid.

bobbasrah
09-04-2012, 10:10
Perversely, nowadays Peatbog Faeries reminds me of home from here, and Bregovic when over there, particularly the fanfara style of traditional playing......

Welder
09-04-2012, 11:01
njG7p6CSbCU

1u2ill7yOZo

RavIqRBe_L0

j9gX26AdFLo