PDA

View Full Version : el cheapo Car Boot Systems ;o)

ribside
16-11-2008, 00:48
My kit is very basic low budget gear.

All of your pictures make me cringe when describing my own set up, but nevertheless, I'll continue..... I can be the poor cousin of this nice little community :)

I am passionate about audio but can't afford the really nice stuff so I kinda bodge old retro classics and low cost newer units together to get a reasonable sound.

Currently using an iMac for producing (http://www.ribside.com) music with a Cambridge A60 feeding two Mission 30 bookshelf speakers. Have various pro audio s/w and h/w synths, midi keyboards etc also...

Then, in the living room, I have a Pioneer PD8700 CD deck with a Tangent amp, Mission sub and two Gale bookshelf speakers.

I can also plug my Macbook into the Tangent amp which is nice coz I've got over 11,000 320kbps mp3's on it! I'm a mobile DJ too :)

Various retro solid state amps, knackered Wharfdale speakers and a couple of direct drive record decks in the loft also... for the kids to point at the LP's and say "what are these?"

And finally.... I traditionally buy myself a xmas present every year and I'm currently waiting for my latest hi-fi addition... gimmicky new toy from HK...

http://www.e-audio.net/servlet/Detail?no=8

I'm quite excited by this coz my missus made me sell my last valve unit (amp) saying it was "too smelly". :scratch:

Regards to all, Clive.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/cccb/THA06-photo_04.jpg

Steve Toy
16-11-2008, 04:11
Too smelly? Yes I guess new valve amps do have an odd kind of smell but it does wear off....

Sometimes you just have to put your foot down else they walk all over you. :eek:

Clive, welcome, btw. Enjoying listening to your music is what it is about not the cost of your system.

alb
16-11-2008, 09:34
I'm quite excited by this coz my missus made me sell my last valve unit (amp) saying it was "too smelly".

Or it could have been overheating or had something leaking inside. In which case selling was possibly a good move.

Filterlab
16-11-2008, 13:42
Various retro solid state amps, knackered Wharfdale speakers and a couple of direct drive record decks in the loft also... for the kids to point at the LP's and say "what are these?"

Hehehehehe, how quickly technology moves on. :) My nieces had no idea what a cassette tape was.

Marco
16-11-2008, 14:56
Never mind cassette tape, do they know what CD is? :lol:

Marco.

Filterlab
16-11-2008, 15:31
Actually yes! :) You may remember the Fisher Price turntable which had plastic records and the arm contained music box style tuned pins, well in keeping with the advance in modern technology the latest version is a CD player! Very slick.

Mike
16-11-2008, 15:56
All of your pictures make me cringe when describing my own set up, but nevertheless, I'll continue..... I can be the poor cousin of this nice little community :)

I am passionate about audio but can't afford the really nice stuff

Join 'the club' matey! :) :lolsign:

Beechwoods
16-11-2008, 18:47
You may remember the Fisher Price turntable which had plastic records and the arm contained music box style tuned pins

I had one of those. I loved it. Trying to do free-jazz by turning the pins by hand was always fun too :) Now they were analogue :lol:

Filterlab
16-11-2008, 21:08
I had one of those. I loved it. Trying to do free-jazz by turning the pins by hand was always fun too :) Now they were analogue :lol:

LOL! Me too! That was analogue in its purest sense.

Mike
16-11-2008, 22:04
LOL! Me too! That was analogue in its purest sense.

Derrr... yuve spelted it rong like... it's anal-log! :ner:

Marco
16-11-2008, 22:15
No, that's the American way, ya toob :lol:

;)

Marco.

Labarum
17-11-2008, 07:05
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/cccb/THA06-photo_04.jpg

What does it do? Take the corners off the square waves?

Ali Tait
17-11-2008, 10:44
Think it's a buffer stage to give better impedance matching between components.IMHO a much overlooked point in hi-fi.Ones The ones I have heard have made a huge difference in sound quality.

Labarum
17-11-2008, 12:54
Think it's a buffer stage to give better impedance matching between components.IMHO a much overlooked point in hi-fi.Ones The ones I have heard have made a huge difference in sound quality.

With a harmonic distortion of 0.15% and how much hum?

Ali Tait
17-11-2008, 13:09
It's not the only one out there,and you could always build your own!

Labarum
17-11-2008, 13:23
It's not the only one out there,and you could always build your own!

:)

Ali Tait
17-11-2008, 13:40
This one looks good for the money.Cheap as chips really for the decent quality parts-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Valve-Buffer-Amp-6N11-6DJ8-6922-ECC88-Indeed-Hi-Fi-Lab_W0QQitemZ260317019394QQihZ016QQcategoryZ39997Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Diyhifisupply do one too,though this is considerably more expensive.

Mike
17-11-2008, 13:47
It says on the top of it...."HiFi Stereo Power Amplifier"!!!!

Labarum
17-11-2008, 13:52
I can't believe that modern equipment manufacturers, even at the lower end of the market, would engineer impedance matching so badly.

Are all sure these valve buffer amps don't just knock the corners off a well amplified signal?

Ali Tait
17-11-2008, 14:18
Well all I can comment is on what I've heard personally.Nick's D3a bufferstage and TVC is a superb sounding piece of kit.At the last meet,one member had knocked up a Pass Labs buffer pre for about 15 quid's worth of parts.That sounded superb too.

ribside
17-11-2008, 14:32
it's all very promising.... can't wait for the postman to arrive! Although it's likely to be January/February. Unit despatched by sea from Hong Kong, airmail cost sky high ;o)

Ali Tait
17-11-2008, 14:51
From what I've heard buffer stages do,you should be very happy with it.Let us know how you get on.

ribside
18-11-2008, 14:58
Cheers Ali, will do ;o)