PDA

View Full Version : Looking for audio amateurs

johnrtd
14-11-2008, 17:47
We have a few new d-i-y projects which are almost finished. We now look for amateurs wanting to build those projects and produce a good building instruction with English text for future hobbyists.
One of our problems is being Dutch and English is not our native language.
Have a look at prototyping (http://www.hawkaudio.nl/proto.html)

John

Ali Tait
14-11-2008, 18:52
I'd be happy to give it a go,but I'd probably not be interested in keeping the kit as I'm happy with what I have.Perhaps it could be sold here? I may be interested in an amp for friends and/or family,but I'd have to hear the finished article first.I'd not be interested in the speakers however,I already have DIY electrostatics,which are superb.I'd say my English is pretty fair,I got an A in my A-level,and I've read constantly ever since I learned how :)

Mike
14-11-2008, 19:15
Ooh!!!... Me too!

I love this sort of stuff!

I'd only be interested in buying though if the end result is better than what I already have.

Cheers...

StanleyB
14-11-2008, 20:31
One of our problems is being Dutch and English is not our native language.
John
Kom nou John, daar geloof ik geen lars van! Engels is toch een vak bij hogere onderwijs?

Puffin
14-11-2008, 22:21
I'd be interested. Do you want to know what people have done to see if they are up to it? I have written articles for www.affordableaudio.org and others.

johnrtd
15-11-2008, 09:48
Thanks all for your reactions!
When talking about audio quality looking at prices it should be clear that most of the current projects are NOT High End ones. The current market for expensive products is quite small but happily there are still guys around wanting a "reasonable" sound quality for a moderate price. And, let's face it, at present you can buy quite good products at a low price from the big manufacturers.
But having said this I also want to stipulate that what we're doing is developing a serious design with as few concessions as possible.
When looking at the A-08 project you'll find a small 15 Watt amp with a pair of full range loudspeakers AND a passive subwoofer.
A lot of you, being used to single ended tube amps, know that one can experience very "emotinal" sound reproduction even at low power. And some of you also know that a filterless full range loudspeaker has an advantage over filtered ones in that it "hides" less of the original record.
But ......... after a long period of various designs, be it with tubes or transistors, we try to take care with power supplies (and the amplifying circuit itself) using adequate filtering and good components.
The result in the end will be that the enthousiastic d-i-y audio amateur has a modern state-of-the-art audio set giving lots of pleasure when listening to his music.
If someone wants a more specific electronic explanation I could publish some of the circuitry here.
The second project in the series is NOT a common loudspeaker, but a very special one. It has an English subwoofer, full range mid units and a ring emitter tweeter. So this comes at a price.

Our problem, as said before, is to create a nice and very clear building instruction in English.

John

Puffin
17-11-2008, 21:56
What next ?

johnrtd
18-11-2008, 01:04
What next ?

Dear Puffin

At the bottom of the prototype page (http://www.hawkaudio.nl/proto.html) there's my mail adress. After looking at the various projects just let me know which one is the most of your liking.

John

nafanja
26-02-2009, 16:06
Hello.

Tell me Please:

what kind of sencitivity do youi plan of your speakers systems?

Do you plan work with 93-94-95 systems?

johnrtd
27-02-2009, 09:49
Hi Nafanja

I don't understand the words: "sencitivity" and "youi"
What do you mean by: "93-94-95 systems"?

Our systems date from the early eighties and are updated whenever we meet new products, design better filters, design better constructions. The current models all are from after 1993 - 1995.

Maybe because I'm a foreigner that I don't understand everything. So please help me out!

John

leo
27-02-2009, 10:06
I think he means what is the efficiency of your speakers, as in sensitivity

Mike
27-02-2009, 11:30
nafanja is from Ukraine, English is not his first language either. :)

johnrtd
28-02-2009, 08:23
The sensitivity of our models is around 88 - 90 dB/1 W/1 m

John

nafanja
28-02-2009, 15:49
I am about 93-94 db...
I try to ask you - can this speakers work with 6 w tube amlifiers?

I am know inglish not right...I think you better)))

nafanja
28-02-2009, 16:04
Tell me plaese: do you plan to make the speakes with 93-94?

johnrtd
01-03-2009, 09:12
Dear Nafanja

To be really honest 6 Watts is really a small power. You could do with our new FR-1 (look at FR-1 (http://www.hawkaudio.nl/LS/ls.htm)). The sensitivity is around 92 dB, but moreover it's also an "easy" load for your amplifier. The impedance doesn't go below 6 Ohm and that too is important when using such a small amplifier.

Have fun!

John

shane
01-03-2009, 10:27
Hi Nafanja,

it's pretty obvious that you don't mind a bit of DIY, so if you want to look into high efficiency speakers, try here http://www.planet10-hifi.com/ and here http://www.frugal-horn.com/ . There are speakers here that can produce ear-splitting levels from 2 or 3 watts.

It's true that full-range drivers are not to everyones taste, and if not done properly they can sound bloody awful, but when done well they can be sublime.

John
01-03-2009, 11:19
If you got the space another one to try is the Hawthrone Open Baffle speakers I heard both the Solo and Duet and both are very good and will cope with low powered amps
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/

Puffin
01-03-2009, 13:06
Johnrtd. I emailed you back in November 08 and heard nothing. Is this not happening now?

johnrtd
02-03-2009, 09:41
Dear Puffin

I never saw your message (and normally you'll get an answer within one day!). So please send it again wether to the TAOS box here or to john@hawkaudio.nl

John