PDA

View Full Version : Tracks which sound good on headphones

dave2010
29-10-2011, 05:34
Not everyone listens on headphones. Headphone listening can be a worthwhile experience, but it can also really show up faults in recordings. Often listening to a recording which has been digitally compressed (e.g mp3) or via a streaming service such as Spotify can be a poor experience with headphones.

In order to get the best out of tracks, they need to be played back on good equipment, and preferably with no compression or other digital processing.

Following on a suggestion made elsewhere - http://theartofsound.net/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=13283 this thread is to put up details of any tracks which you have found sound really good on headphones. I'm not sure that we want to know about tracks which are bad though - maybe a separate thread for that also!

AlanS
29-10-2011, 09:40
Solid Air - John Martyn - std issue CD

s70rmp
30-10-2011, 12:38
Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is - from the Intersection boxset.

Pete The Cat
02-11-2011, 20:58
I remember Hawkwind's "Levitation" being recommended as a great headphones album by the late Tommy Vance. He was right. Apparently it was one of the first rock albums recorded using digital technology, plus it has Ginger Baker too, everything goes panning across the channels...

Pete

YNWaN
03-11-2011, 00:01
It's not actually all that good a recording though.

Roger Waters stuff always has lots of stereo effects (though I personally prefer Hawkwind).

The Vinyl Adventure
03-11-2011, 08:09
There are a couple of tracks of Regina Spektor's Begin to hope that I've used for headphone comparison in the past ...
Some crazy bass out my old grado 125's