PDA

View Full Version : Time for a gamble

Effem
26-10-2011, 18:47
Speaker change time again :)

I sold my Dali Suites a while back and bought a pair of Ruark Epilogues in anticipation of a house move, but I really, really, really couldn't get on with them in my current listening room. The move is only 5 - 6 weeks away, but that seems like a long time right now so I bit the bullet and sold the little Ruarks.

That was in reality the easy bit because finding a replacement was no easy task. Firstly, the overwhelming majority of bookshelf/standmount speakers seem to be centered around 30cm tall with a 5" or smaller bass unit, in which case I might as well have stuck with the Ruarks. The next step in size is around the 50cm mark which really is too big, so that narrowed the field down somewhat again. A search on the infamous action site revealed a plethora of Mission/B&W/Kef/Tannoy models, none of which I particularly like the sound of to be honest. Add to that a budget and the list went shorter still.

I had my sights set on some Epos M12.2s but the bidding went a tenner or so over what my hi-fi piggy bank was holding - gutted. When the house move is complete I will be hunting a pair of those out - maybe.

I say "maybe" because I did yesterday what I have not done in a good few years; I took a punt on an almost unknown marque/model just for the hell of it. I am donald ducked if I know what possessed me to press that "Buy It Now" button, but press it I did and the results of that folly arrived today.

And here the beastie is:

http://uk.jbl.com/system/html/Image%20-%20ES30%20%20(Cherry,%203D%20View)-e5ef2e17.jpg

JBL ES30.

It is often said "The photo does not do it justice" and in this instance it is rather apt. Lovely rich Cherry wood side cheeks on a tapered cabinet, with a mid grey face plate holding the drivers, each with a faux metal decorative surround. No, your eyes are not deceiving you, they do have twin tweeters, metal too - crikey, a sure fire recipe for excessive brightness you might think, but not so. They look small too, but they are actually quite large with dimensions of (H x W x D) 387mm x 223mm x 330mm and a six inch bass driver no less in a rear ported cabinet. Reassuringly heavy too at 8.9kg each. Price? A mere £189 plus postage, which isn't big money for a decent quality pair of speakers.

I won't give you a sound report yet because they have only had less than an hour on the amp and I reckon these are going to need a LOT of running in before they give of their true character. From what I have heard so far though, they do treble very nicely with ambience, space and reverberation captured beautifully which I have not heard in a speaker this side of £3k. The bass is a tad wallowy and a push on the bass cones tells me they really do need some stick to loosen them up before they will give of their best.

To come back to the "maybe" statement, the Epos M12.2s on my hit list are certainly on the lively side of neutral and the treble isn't as refined as some, so that was an intended purchase based upon reviews. These JBLs certainly have that elusive refinement in the treble registers, a transparent midband and a bass that sounds 'tight' just now, which may see the Epos purchase put on hold after some running in with these JBLs. Quelle surprise.

At one time I used to buy nothing at all that was flavour of the month and go for the obscure oddballs which nobody had heard of. I discovered some real gems at that time and although I enjoyed that immensly, come resale time I got hurt in the pocket and no doubt the JBLs will cause me similar pain, but what the heck :lol:

Reid Malenfant
26-10-2011, 18:58
:eyebrows: Only 6 weeks to wait to...

Frank, if you ever see any Sansui Sp-100i (http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/sp-100i.htm) for sale then grab them is my suggestion ;) First up you'll think the enclosure is small for an 8" driver, secondly you'll nearly give yourself a hernia lifting them & thirdly you'll be pleasantly surprised at the incredible frequency response & power handling...

I forgot sound quality, very good indeed due to the carbon fire 8" bass/mid & the metal dome tweeter appears to be tamed to :)

A tad over 40cm tall...

If you hunt you'll find them being sold for silly money on a Japanese site, i got mine for very silly money (£20) at the local car boot :eyebrows: Well i had to get a taxi to transport the buggers as they weigh nigh on three stone each!

If i ever see another pair i'll be after them :cool:

Macca
26-10-2011, 23:16
They look interesting - JBL are a good punt normally as like Wharfedale they always seem to voice their speakers just right, getting the compromises right if you know what I mean?

Effem
27-10-2011, 04:06
The treble resolution on these is absolutely amazing Martin. They really can claw detail out of music I have listened to thousands of times, yet they don't sound "bright" at all. Bass is plentiful, but then again they don't boom either.

DSJR
27-10-2011, 07:59
If the bass is ever-so-slightly wallowy, then "running in" won't improve it - the suspension on bass cones reportedly sorts itself out in the first few cycless of powerful use, but you may get used to it, and that takes time. Remember that this model may be balanced more for the lossy timber-frame homes from the US, so just pull 'em out a tad further from the walls and corners if possible..

Effem
27-10-2011, 21:28
Much improved sound now I have thrown those godawful terminal jumper plates into the bin and fitted some pure silver wires as links :eyebrows:

How on earth can cheap brass plates be considered as adequate for the job :scratch:

hifi_dave
27-10-2011, 21:34
Because they ARE cheap..:doh:

jandl100
29-10-2011, 16:48
Ah - JBLs. I like JBLs.

Had a pair of the old L110 monitors which cost me £160 and replaced a pair of Super-audiophile Kharma Ceramique 3 speakers which had cost me over 10x as much and retailed at £5k. I needed a change after 2 years with the Kharmas and after a flying leap of faith like Frank's for the JBLs I didn't miss them at all!

Also a pair of JBL Ti2K speakers went down a treat in my 2nd system. They were a similar size to yours, Frank, and easily filled the room with crisp, clear and very musical sounds with just the right amount of nicely controlled bass.
Nowt wrong with them at all, apart perhaps from the colour! :eyebrows: ...
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/JBLTi2Kspeakers.jpg

I'm not at all surprised you are pleased with your JBLs, Frank! :thumbsup:

hifi_dave
29-10-2011, 17:06
JBL have made some great speakers. It's a pity they have not been distributed properly in the UK since the early 80's.

worthingpagan
29-10-2011, 17:43
Much improved sound now I have thrown those godawful terminal jumper plates into the bin and fitted some pure silver wires as links :eyebrows:

How on earth can cheap brass plates be considered as adequate for the job :scratch:

Agree with you entirely Frank. It's amazing the difference silver links make to the sound quality.......people spend ££££££ on speakers and don't seem to realise that they're never going to get the best out of them all the while they use those cheap brass plates. But then there are people who believe i/c's, speaker cables and mains cables make little or no difference at all to the sound :laugh:

Ali Tait
29-10-2011, 18:06
The treble resolution on these is absolutely amazing Martin. They really can claw detail out of music I have listened to thousands of times, yet they don't sound "bright" at all. Bass is plentiful, but then again they don't boom either.

If you like treble detail Frank, have a go with some Klipsch offerings, the ones I've heard have this in spades.

worthingpagan
29-10-2011, 20:26
If you like treble detail Frank, have a go with some Klipsch offerings, the ones I've heard have this in spades.

Do you know which model Ali? I'm a big fan of treble detail, but i was put off the Klipsch as I read somewhere they were rather harsh & forward in the treble? But if you've heard them yourself maybe they're not as bad as the author suggested :cool:

Ali Tait
29-10-2011, 20:48
Sorry can't remember, will try to find out for you. The caveat was I was listening with an 845 SE valve amp though, and I'd say a lot of trannie amps would push them over the top I think.

jandl100
29-10-2011, 21:04
Klipsch ... hmm, I had a pair of Heresy II speakers. A bundle of fun, but very coloured, not high fidelity at all. A deeply flawed speaker imo.

Ali Tait
29-10-2011, 21:11
These were the ones I heard-

http://www.klipsch.com/rb-81-ii-bookshelf-speaker

Effem
30-10-2011, 09:10

I have always wanted a pair of Klipsch speakers and the Elac range with the ribbon tweeters have always fascinated me too.

At the moment though I really am enjoying these little JBLs because they are amazing for the money. I usually go for upfront ballsy dynamic speakers but these JBL simply are not disappointing me with their capabilities. The treble really does dig deep yet not in the least forward or glassy and at the moment I am sat almost in front of them because the listening room is half full with boxes ready for moving. The bass has no boom or overhang yet still deep with great resolution and after so many years of searching for just such a speaker, it is doubly ironic that I find this elusive beast purely by accident :lol:

jandl100
30-10-2011, 09:13
.... I usually go for upfront ballsy dynamic speakers ...

No ! ... Really? :D

.. visiting Frank's place is always fun, but it takes a couple of days afterwards for my ears to stop ringing! :lolsign:

Macca
30-10-2011, 09:58
I have always wanted a pair of Klipsch speakers and the Elac range with the ribbon tweeters have always fascinated me too.

:

I had a listen to the Elac standmounts at a dealer, fronted by Exposure amp and CDP. They sounded good but there didn't seem to be anything special about the top end even given the ribbon tweeter. I was a bit disapointed especially after reading the rave reviews. Not heard any Klipsch but there does seem to be large design differences between their legacy range and their smaller, more modern offerings.

Ali Tait
30-10-2011, 11:54
Well the ones I heard certainly majored on detail, but didn't sound harsh, at least with a valve amp. Very easy to drive too, being about 97dB/W.

Macca
30-10-2011, 12:12
What is the thinking behind the dual tweeters on these JBLs? Is the top one a super tweeter?

Effem
30-10-2011, 13:27
What is the thinking behind the dual tweeters on these JBLs? Is the top one a super tweeter?

As far as I can make out from the specs they are supertweeters - able to hit 40k apparently :eyebrows: