PDA

View Full Version : Smearing? Problem

icehockeyboy
24-10-2011, 19:00
Had my Samsung 46" led tv for a couple of years now, but can't seem to get rid of what I can only describe as smearing, eg, someone walking from right to left on screen, and a kind of small vapour trail seems to follow them at times.
Afaia, I have the settings adjusted correctly, not too heavy on the backlight, edge definition enhancer off, and just a slight boost on sharpness, and theoretically set to 100hz.

It happens more often on the "cheaper" channels, ITV3 etc!

Anyone able to offer any help? :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
24-10-2011, 19:02
Try turning the 100Hz setting off ;)

icehockeyboy
24-10-2011, 19:10
Try turning the 100Hz setting off ;)

Really? :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
24-10-2011, 19:23
Yes, the processing can mess things up ;) I have a TV capable of 200Hz & it has a 1mS response time, but all that extra cobblers is switched off... It messes up the picture on fast pans.

Try it, you may be surprised :)

Jason P
02-12-2011, 18:34
Wot he said! Turn off ALL processing options for your telly - most of them do a disservice to the IQ of a telly. You'll always suffer from some lack of quality but most of the technologies designed to 'help' improve a picture actually don't. Some freeview channels are a bit crap, and there's little you can do about them (can't polish a turd, etc..) Oh, and make sure you're sat back far enough, you'll notice any artifacts less.

Jason

pwood
20-01-2012, 13:06
My mates Sammy LCD showed the same effect with the so called enhancements turned on. Everything was turned off and turned on 1 at a time. I think the 100htz was causing it or a frame interpolation type function. Each time someone turned their head or split sec type movement there was a blurry smear. His TV is a couple of years old and 46" so probably the same or similar model.

icehockeyboy
29-01-2012, 22:47
Thanks guys!

I believe the problem is caused, or rather I should say is prevalent on the crappier channels, like ITV3 etc.
I have heeded all suggestions re turning off the so called enhancement features, but still see the problem, but as I say, normally on the channels like ITV3 etc.

goraman
30-01-2012, 03:22
Thanks guys!

I believe the problem is caused, or rather I should say is prevalent on the crappier channels, like ITV3 etc.
I have heeded all suggestions re turning off the so called enhancement features, but still see the problem, but as I say, normally on the channels like ITV3 etc.

If it continues get tested for LSD residual in your fatty tissues as flash backs can resume after decades. :eek:

DSJR
30-01-2012, 11:29
Freeview has pixellation and some smearing as standard and it's even occasionally visible on our "steam powered" geriatric 28" Panasonic 50Hz CRT set...

Inferior huge screens are a disaster, but most people don't notice, so the TV manufacturers get away with it. Large screen TV's are now so cheap, I don't think any of the manufacturers are making any money out of it, so I suspect there'll be some product re-positioning in due course.

P.S. I read somewhere that Sony is now in bed with LG for their TV's...?

prestonchipfryer
30-01-2012, 11:48
I run a Freesat set-up with a Humax HD receiver. Very good mostly but on ITV 3/4 broadcasts of 'Poirot' and 'Pie in the Sky' and other similar progs from the 80s/early 90s, do smear quite badly. Could it be the way the original versions are stored and then used for transmission? Are they analogue copied to digital? Really unwatchable most of the time. TV is a Samsung LCD 32 inch. whuch is just about two years old.

John

pwood
05-02-2012, 15:22
Can you not watch the HD channel versions of ITV 2/3 granted would require a Freeview HD tuner if you dont have Sky HD but I can honestly say the quality is pretty good on those channels. A lot of the programs are upscaled at source by ITV but the equipment used to upscale to 1080i is far better than anything we can afford. I dont know how you can watch ITV SD anything the quality is shocking. Plasma TV tend to handle the poor quality better due to faster refresh rates but its still crap on my 50" G10

prestonchipfryer
05-02-2012, 16:05
Unfortunately the transmitter here in Weymouth does not transmit all ITV HD channels, just ITV 1. In order to access those it would mean SKY (no no for me) or getting an aerial for Stockland Hill (Devon) and that is expensive. Dunno if there are plans for all terrestial digital channels to be broadcast here after all parts of the UK are switched to digital. At the moment Freeview offers only a limited selection here and Freesat carries only BBC 1 HD and BBC HD and ITV 1 HD and Channel 4 HD.

John

chris@panteg
05-02-2012, 16:18
I run a Freesat set-up with a Humax HD receiver. Very good mostly but on ITV 3/4 broadcasts of 'Poirot' and 'Pie in the Sky' and other similar progs from the 80s/early 90s, do smear quite badly. Could it be the way the original versions are stored and then used for transmission? Are they analogue copied to digital? Really unwatchable most of the time. TV is a Samsung LCD 32 inch. whuch is just about two years old.

John

Could be but plasma screens don't seem to show it as much ?

Thinking about a new tv this year , so far undecided.

prestonchipfryer
05-02-2012, 18:19
Could be but plasma screens don't seem to show it as much ?

Thinking about a new tv this year , so far undecided.

What about an LED screen? They are (seemingly) wafer thin - but is the picture quality good enough? Just been watching the Ski Sunday on BBC HD - stunning!

John :)

chris@panteg
05-02-2012, 18:35
What about an LED screen? They are (seemingly) wafer thin - but is the picture quality good enough? Just been watching the Ski Sunday on BBC HD - stunning!

John :)

Hi John

Been looking at those , very bright picture ! Still LCD but with LED backlight , i would say some improvement over older LCD's like my 5 year old 2030S 32inch Bravia , they seem to be very energy efficient .

prestonchipfryer
05-02-2012, 18:42
Hi John

Been looking at those , very bright picture ! Still LCD but with LED backlight , i would say some improvement over older LCD's like my 5 year old 2030S 32inch Bravia , they seem to be very energy efficient .

But you could alter the picture brightness anyway. Thing is TVs are so cheap now compared to just a few years ago. How about a 3D set?

John

chris@panteg
05-02-2012, 19:22
But you could alter the picture brightness anyway. Thing is TVs are so cheap now compared to just a few years ago. How about a 3D set?

John

I was looking at a fairly high end 3D set yesterday , it did bring a smile to my face i must say but its so unnatural to me and a bit of a gimmick but .... if it only cost a little more and the panels are usually the latest and best ? Well you may as well have it , but no not that bothered to be honest , for me I'm just looking at going up to a 37 or 40 incher with Freeview HD and hopefully a better picture than my old Bravia , I'm looking at the budget sets at around £350 to £500 and as i have a Sony S380 Bluray , another Bravia seems logical .

prestonchipfryer
05-02-2012, 19:32
I was looking at a fairly high end 3D set yesterday , it did bring a smile to my face i must say but its so unnatural to me and a bit of a gimmick but .... if it only cost a little more and the panels are usually the latest and best ? Well you may as well have it , but no not that bothered to be honest , for me I'm just looking at going up to a 37 or 40 incher with Freeview HD and hopefully a better picture than my old Bravia , I'm looking at the budget sets at around £350 to £500 and as i have a Sony S380 Bluray , another Bravia seems logical .

Well Chris that would be good enough for me too. Don't actually watch much as we (wifey and moi) cannot stand all the p***ing ads on the commercial sides. Record want we wanna see (which isn't much, mind) and then 'wind-on' past the ad breaks.

Come to think of it my previous HD recorder, a Philips unit, made all recordings look smeary. So, perhaps, it may just be the 'technology' used.

John

chris@panteg
05-02-2012, 19:59
Well Chris that would be good enough for me too. Don't actually watch much as we (wifey and moi) cannot stand all the p***ing ads on the commercial sides. Record want we wanna see (which isn't much, mind) and then 'wind-on' past the ad breaks.

Come to think of it my previous HD recorder, a Philips unit, made all recordings look smeary. So, perhaps, it may just be the 'technology' used.

John

Same here John :) In fact i think I'm sort of talking myself out of buying anything for a while as i really fancy getting a new cartridge , AT33EV or similar , been using budget carts for getting on 4 years now :scratch:

prestonchipfryer
06-02-2012, 07:08
Same here John :) In fact i think I'm sort of talking myself out of buying anything for a while as i really fancy getting a new cartridge , AT33EV or similar , been using budget carts for getting on 4 years now :scratch:

Go for it then, the AT33EV that is. You know you want to. :D

John