PDA

View Full Version : X-Factor haters - surely this girl is worth watching?

Marco
14-10-2011, 08:22
I'm not a massive fan of X-Factor, but I watch it occasionally, and Janet Devlin has definitely caught my eye.

Normally the finalists, although they can sing (well, some of them!), have zero individuality, and their voices lack any kind of uniqueness of expression which separates it from that of 100s of others who all sound virtually the same, and so, if any of the contestants or the winner of the show make it in a big way, are simply destined for a career churning out nothing other than bland commercial pap.

But for me this wee girl is different... She has the most beautiful and hauntingly melodic voice, with a deftness of phrasing that makes her unique, and the ability to silence a room and capture and hold the attention of an audience like very few performers of her age. This girl has presence, soul, and a magic all of her own.

If some decent material is written for her, and she's not targeted at the mainstream market, producing superficial chart-type dross for the masses, then she can retain her individuality and become an interesting performer in her own right.

Oh, and in terms of X-Factor, I think she'll win!

Anyway, here she is performing Regina Spektor's 'Us', on You Tube. She's just singing an acoustic set at home, with no fancy arrangements, allowing her magical and unique voice free reign, showcased in all its beauty. See what you think:

vEabV4Iy574&f

Marco.

DSJR
14-10-2011, 08:28
We have no interest in X Factor at all this year, what with Gary B showing a nasty side to his character early on (I think he moderated it later, but "we" don't half love ourselves...).

Marco, it doesn't matter a darn if this young lady can sing or not. if she gets a contract, she'll be given formulaic rubbish to perform to, she'll be auto-tuned to high heaven and dropped like a stone when her records don't sell any more. Nah..... not for me..

The telly's rarely on at this time now, but if "Strictly's" on, we'll watch that instead...

Marco
14-10-2011, 08:46
Fair enough, Dave, and you may well be right. We'll see what her future holds. Don't you like her voice, though, judging her solely on that performance on You Tube?

The reason I picked her performing that particular song is because I'm a fan of Regina Spektor, and Janet Devlin's voice, for me, had the necessary 'edge' and tone to portray the song properly. That song really suits her, and it's this type of material I'd like to see her produce, if she makes it.

But my point was really that, for me, she (along with Matt Cardle) are the most interesting performers the show has unearthed since its inception.

As for Strictly? I can't stand that sort of stuff, and have never watched an episode. It's just not my type of dancing, and I find the whole thing distinctly old-fashioned. I'd rather watch Diversity, do their stuff, which is more my thing:

PtwVfJqBfms&feature

Who was that young boy who won Britain's got talent a few years back - he did the Fred Astaire 'Singing in the Rain' thing....? Now he was awesome, and *that* is what you call dancing!!

{Edit} Got it... It was George Sampson. This performance utterly blew me away:

kyDnYeUnT7w

Simply sensational! He reminded me of Michael Jackson at his best, and he was someone who could certainly dance!

Marco.

John
14-10-2011, 10:21
It is possible for finalist to go on and create a good solo career Beth Hart is a great example of this

Marco
14-10-2011, 10:22
Indeed - let's hope that Janet goes on and does the same... I'd hate to see here obvious talent wasted!

Interesting watching her performance on Star Search, where she 'made it':

mjAj0g-yN1Y

She's obviously talented, but a bit too 'shouty', for me. I much prefer Janet's gentler, more ethereal tones.

Marco.

synsei
14-10-2011, 10:40
I can see Matt Cardle having a decent career once he has slipped out from underneath the X-Factor comforter. He has a fantastically versatile voice and such a good range. He can give his voice an edge when needed, or it can be as smooth as treacle. That boy is gonna go a long way I reckon, as long as he stays away from teeny pop that is... :eyebrows:

Marco
14-10-2011, 10:41
I agree, Dave. What do you think though of Janet?

Marco.

synsei
14-10-2011, 10:46
She is a star in the making Marco, and has a lovely, lovely voice. Her personality shines through in her performances as well. I wish her all the best and hope very much that the X-Factor machine doesn't ruin what she has...

Tim
15-10-2011, 17:41
Ooooo, you nearly had me snagged Marco with a mention of Beth Hart and I almost clicked on your X-Factor video :stalks: (I'm a big Beth fan see).

Anyway, I have resisted the temptation and will give this girl a go when she can prove herself beyond the X-Factor like Beth has :eyebrows:

gHWYW6Tw67A

(I'm not a stubborn old cuss at all :wheniwasaboy:)

Marco
15-10-2011, 18:23
That was an excellent and very powerful performance! :) Of course, Beth Hart was discovered on Star Search, not X-Factor ;)

Marco.

ikaruga
15-10-2011, 18:43
She sounds incredibly similar to Diane Vickers from a few years back. Yes i have watched it way too much thanks to my lovely lady. I think her voice would get very boring quickly, nice though it is.

Tim
15-10-2011, 19:25
That was an excellent and very powerful performance! :) Of course, Beth Hart was discovered on Star Search, not X-Factor ;)

Marco.
Marco, you are not suggesting I didn't already know that? :lolsign:

She's on the road next month too (Beth I mean ;) and 25th Feb at O2 Shepherd's Bush)

Marco
15-10-2011, 19:30
Marco, you are not suggesting I didn't already know that? :lolsign:

Lol - seemed that way, mate, when you said this:

Anyway, I have resisted the temptation and will give this girl a go when she can prove herself beyond the X-Factor like Beth has...

That suggested to me that you were saying Beth had been on X-Factor, although it seems that's not what you meant.

I would've said "Anyway, I have resisted the temptation and will give this girl a go when she can prove herself beyond the likes of Star Search, like Beth has."

:)

Marco.

Tim
15-10-2011, 19:34
That's a very fair point and very well presented ;)

XX

(100 lines for Tim from Marco :spank: )

Spectral Morn
15-10-2011, 19:38
Yep Diana Vickers meets Juliet Turner.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
15-10-2011, 20:13
Have we got a general x factor discussion thread?

What genre is 'would I lie to you' by Charles and Eddie?
We have no idea in the gill house

Jonboy
15-10-2011, 21:35
i must agree Janet has a certain something alrighty, that voice is almost haunting and just relays heartfelt emotion

Canetoad
17-10-2011, 13:16
I bought my wife Dianna Vickers CD and even she thought it was DIRE! :doh:

I'd hardly say that she is that bad!

Neil McCauley
18-10-2011, 13:04
Have we got a general x factor discussion thread?

Yes.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13736