PDA

View Full Version : Mains Cables R Us No14 Mains Cable

synsei
12-10-2011, 17:47
I bought my first No14 Mains Cable from David Brook about four months ago and I've been so pleased with the extra sparkle, depth and control it has brought to my system I now have two. What came as a pleasant surprise was that the No14 outperformed a Russ Andrews Kimber Yellow Power Chord by a wide margin. This is an excellent mains cable and I highly recommend it...

Cheers Dave... ;)

Gazjam
12-10-2011, 18:09
David's stuff is good.

synsei
12-10-2011, 19:07
That it is Gary ;)

My next purchase will be one of Dave's power supplies for my Caiman. I'm happy with the core components of my system these days so thought it was high time I began upgrading the ancillary stuff. A Belkin PF30, also ordered from Dave, should be arriving tomorrow to replace my Tacima power conditioner 6 way mains block and I'm also awaiting delivery of the final upgrade components for my Hafler which are coming from the US. I predict some exciting listening sessions in Synsei Towers in the next couple of weeks... :cool:

icehockeyboy
07-12-2011, 10:40
That it is Gary ;)

My next purchase will be one of Dave's power supplies for my Caiman. I'm happy with the core components of my system these days so thought it was high time I began upgrading the ancillary stuff. A Belkin PF30, also ordered from Dave, should be arriving tomorrow to replace my Tacima power conditioner 6 way mains block and I'm also awaiting delivery of the final upgrade components for my Hafler which are coming from the US. I predict some exciting listening sessions in Synsei Towers in the next couple of weeks... :cool:

Is Russ Andrew's Yellow cable made by Kimber? I thought it was the cheapest in his range......and not that hard to beat? Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

As for the Tacima, I have tried it against a £300 Mega block, very close call, certainly not almost 10 times the cost difference, and a £200 QED Quonduit, which the Tac beat, so unless you have already done an A-B test and know for sure the Belkin will be better, don't sell the Tac on just yet! :)

Reid Malenfant
07-12-2011, 17:42
Hi Craig, I'm pretty sure the Belkin whooped the Tacimas backside good & proper :spank:

:eyebrows:

Gazjam
07-12-2011, 17:51
I had a Tacima in which got replaced (and then some) by the PF30.
Its not nearly as good imho.

Alex_UK
07-12-2011, 22:50
I had a Tacima in which got replaced (and then some) by the PF30.
Its not nearly as good imho.

Me too, the PF30 was much better, though the Tacima is still used for Hard Drives and the like, as the PF30 just doesn't have enough sockets.

wee tee cee
08-12-2011, 01:05
I recently removed the tacima block from my system with two old shitter B&Q extension leads the system came alive soundstage wise.The tacima was chocking the sound.
Tony.

synsei
08-12-2011, 05:28
Is Russ Andrew's Yellow cable made by Kimber? I thought it was the cheapest in his range......and not that hard to beat? Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Kimber Yellow mains cables are no longer produced and I picked it up for a song on ebay with the thinking that it'd be better than a standard power lead, it wasn't. The MCR No14 is significantly better than anything I have tried to date and I am very happy with the three I am now using ;)

As for the Tacima, I have tried it against a £300 Mega block, very close call, certainly not almost 10 times the cost difference, and a £200 QED Quonduit, which the Tac beat, so unless you have already done an A-B test and know for sure the Belkin will be better, don't sell the Tac on just yet! :)

Like Alex my Tac is now distributing clean power to all my computer kit and it is doing a sterling job... :cool: The PF30 trounces the Tacima completely, my system has come alive since I installed the Belkin ;)

icehockeyboy
08-12-2011, 13:22
I recently removed the tacima block from my system with two old shitter B&Q extension leads the system came alive soundstage wise.The tacima was chocking the sound.
Tony.

But are you sure it was the Tac and not the cheap B&Q wires screwing up the sound? :scratch:

Re the RA Yellow, I'm pretty sure it was not Kimber......

Hmmmm........might have to try and find a Belkin job to see what the fuss is about! ;)

AlanS
10-12-2011, 04:30
A Belkin PF30, also ordered from Dave, should be arriving tomorrow to replace my Tacima power conditioner 6 way mains block

What is the time 4 ordering to delivery on in stock items? Does their ordering system email you?
Thnx

Audioman
10-12-2011, 10:26
RA yellow has been improved (in appearance at least) and has a new name. It was made by RA using Kimber Cable. From experience it is certainly better than standard mains cable. I have seen comments from people that upgraded to the next level of Kimber mains that the difference was not that great.

synsei
11-12-2011, 03:31
What is the time 4 ordering to delivery on in stock items? Does their ordering system email you?
Thnx

Turnaround is very speedy Alan and yes, MCRU's email system does despatch order status emails. I should point out that the PF30 I bought from Dave was one he purchased for himself sometime ago, so it wasn't new. ;)

icehockeyboy
11-12-2011, 09:58
RA yellow has been improved (in appearance at least) and has a new name. It was made by RA using Kimber Cable. From experience it is certainly better than standard mains cable. I have seen comments from people that upgraded to the next level of Kimber mains that the difference was not that great.

Thanks for that!

I too upgraded to his Classic, as well as keeping the Yellow (still have 1 or 2 in use) and if I am honest with myself, there was not a lot of difference to be heard! :scratch:

Gazjam
11-12-2011, 18:59
Try some of Mark Grants DSP 2.5's....
then you'll hear a difference.

On a completely different subject, I have some for sale Craig. :)

MCRU
11-12-2011, 20:13
Try some of Mark Grants DSP 2.5's....
then you'll hear a difference.

On a completely different subject, I have some for sale Craig. :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is about my cable boss and you are touting MG's cables...:lol:

Naughty, naughty. :lolsign:

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 20:15
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is about my cable boss and you are touting MG's cables...:lol:

Naughty, naughty. :lolsign:
Indeed :spank:

:eyebrows:

Marco
12-12-2011, 10:14
Indeed... Gary, consider your wee botty suitably spanked! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Gromit
12-12-2011, 12:06
Does David so an AoS discount? I'm rather keen on one of his mains blocks - plus I'd get a No.14 to go with it. :)

MCRU
12-12-2011, 12:08
Does David so an AoS discount? I'm rather keen on one of his mains blocks - plus I'd get a No.14 to go with it. :)

PM sent

Gromit
12-12-2011, 16:31
:cool:

realysm42
14-12-2011, 13:20
Have any of you guys used uprated fuses in your plugs, can you report back to me on any change to the sound you noticed?

MCRU
14-12-2011, 15:05
Have any of you guys used uprated fuses in your plugs, can you report back to me on any change to the sound you noticed?

what equipment are you using at the moment and I can tell you if changing fuses will be worthwhile

realysm42
14-12-2011, 17:19
I'll tell you what I'm getting (tomorrow :D); a Caspian M2 amp and a pair of K2 TR 5 speakers and an Audiolab M-DAC. All of my audio comes from my Asus Xonar Essence.

I've had a look at your site and next time I get paid I'll be getting some power cables (for PC and amp) and a new multl-plug for the whole shebang, so would be looking to re-fuse all of that plus the Caspian has a fuse in the back of it, which I don't know the size of, can you confirm it'd be beneficial to replace that one as well?

Cheers mate.

MCRU
17-12-2011, 17:03
I am only going off what my customers tell me and only 1 person has ever sent a fuse back saying it made no difference out of 100's sold.

These fuses cost between £25 and £65 so if they made no improvement I would say as the english are generally careful with their money if the fuses did not improve things people would send them back!

realysm42
29-12-2011, 10:30
Okay, so I got my new power lead through, build quality is exceptional and it really delivers!

Also, dealing with Dave has been a pleasure, he's been patient with my blundered orders and been extremely quick about it; one very happy customer!

Tarzan
29-12-2011, 15:43
Dave's customer service is second to none, l have poncy fuses in most of my mains leads, and it pains me to say it that they do IMHO and in MY SYSTEM make a subtle difference for the better, also a few years ago l put three poncy fuses internally an old Lynwood Emerald intergrated amp and this made a nice difference, smoother, more refined sound:):)

Gromit
29-12-2011, 16:59
Ditto the above - ordered a No.14 and the Audiophile mains block and both arrived promptly. No great sonic fireworks (just a subtle tidying of the sound) but for the money they do what they say in the tin etc and are very solidly constructed. :)

Russell Turner
07-06-2012, 21:10
Awaiting delivery of

Audiophile Mains Block Silver Plated
Mains Cables R Us No.14 Mains Lead

And whilst I was at it I thought I would get one of these...

Squeezebox Touch Regulated Linear Power Supply - Mains Lead Up-Grades : Fit MCRU No. 14 Mains Lead

Order has been "In preparation" a few days now, hopefully delivery will be soon.

MCRU
07-06-2012, 21:39
Awaiting delivery of

Audiophile Mains Block Silver Plated
Mains Cables R Us No.14 Mains Lead

And whilst I was at it I thought I would get one of these...

Squeezebox Touch Regulated Linear Power Supply - Mains Lead Up-Grades : Fit MCRU No. 14 Mains Lead

Order has been "In preparation" a few days now, hopefully delivery will be soon.

The squeezebox psu's are built to order then need testing so will be with you shortly along with the rest of your order, don't forget that saying...anything worthwhile is worth waiting for.:)

Russell Turner
07-06-2012, 21:57
For sure Dave!

Wasn't having a dig or owt Dave, I assumed the PSU would be built to order

:-)

Anyways I have plenty of new kit to occupy me for the next few days at least (Bushmaster DAC and Belkin speaker cables), just give us a nod when I need to work from home to be here for the delivery is all I ask please.

Cheers

Russ

MCRU
10-06-2012, 20:45
here is a nice pic of your cables being tested, shipping tomorrow for tuesday delivery, glad to be of service

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ALL%20MCRU%20POWER%20LEADS/259e2742.jpg

Russell Turner
10-06-2012, 21:05
Excited!

Cheers for the heads up Dave and the excellent service, be interesting to see how much of a difference all the individual items will make now the Bushmaster DAC and Belkin speaker cables are burnt in, most intrigued by the power supply unit...

p.s. I notice you have been listening to Vince and Martin's effort what do you think of it, are you a bit of a Depeche Mode fan like myself?

MCRU
10-06-2012, 21:07
Excited!

Cheers for the heads up Dave and the excellent service, be interesting to see how much of a difference all the individual items will make now the Bushmaster DAC and Belkin speaker cables are burnt in, most intrigued by the power supply unit...

p.s. I notice you have been listening to Vince and Martin's effort what do you think of it, are you a bit of a Depeche Mode fan like myself?

Yes Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, Heaven 17 etc, etc, etc. :)

Russell Turner
10-06-2012, 21:10
Excellent... Excellent... An 80's fan like myself, bit of the early Human League and OMD in there as well?

Ashmore
26-06-2012, 22:26
On the strength of this thread I bought three No. 14s for my system. They arrived today and are already in place.

I'm not exactly a cynic with such things, but perhaps 'healthily skeptical'. However I have to report that they have indeed added a layer of coherence and detail to the sound. Very good. I'd never noticed the zomming motor car sound in the outro of Geroge Harrison's Wah Wah before. I guess I ought to pay for them now...