PDA

View Full Version : FS: high-end Garrard 401 rig

montesquieu
11-10-2011, 14:07
Selling my Garrard 401 rig which comprises:

Garrard 401 motor unit fitted with the Kokomo bearing pad mod (this hugely reduces friction on the bearing and cleans up the sound no end). Fully serviced to a high standard by Guildford Audio before fitting to the plinth about 3 years ago.
Audio Origami PU7 tonearm, 12in version, in black & silver (copper wired). This comes with two counterweights, the standard one and a heavyweight one J7 ran up for me for use with an AN Io. (I have the original padded box for this).
Martin Bastin PSU with two regenerated power outlets, one with variable frequency (not variable voltage as some cheaper PSUs have) that enables fine tuning of speed without depending on the eddy brake, complete with independent strobe unit and speed test disk. Equals the £2k+ Loricraft PSU, rare as hen's teeth, and transports the 401 to a different level.
Heavy solid silver litz umbilical mains cable between Bastin PSU and TT (original copper also available if you prefer).
Shindo 301-lookalike round cornered plinth in layered, solid cherrywood, done by Russ Collinson. Deader than stone when you tap it and very heavy. Looks gorgeous, as anyone who has seen it will tell you. Some very slight probs at the back with a small amount of veneer lift cracking the lacquer a little, but it doesn't detract and Russ can fix it if you want, I haven't felt the need. You can't see it in the pics.
Townshend Seismic Sink, the TT was designed by Russ to have a base with Sink-sized indent in the bottom so that, sitting on the Sink, all you see are the feet. If you need a less tall profile you can remove the base and just fit feet directly on the bottom of the cherrywood. This Sink is new, £400 sprung version rather than the older air bladder one, so it doesn't suffer from leaning over due to the weight of the motor. It can be levelled using the feet anyway.
Heavyweight custom-made perspex cover with curved edges and cut-in handles.

Anyway I'm looking for £2400 for this package which is less than the new cost of the tonearm on its own. I could certainly get considerably more by breaking it up but that would be a shame, I think.

Apologies for the crap pics I'll try and do some better ones.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/401-1.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/401-3.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/401-2.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/montesquieu61/401-shelt.jpg

hornucopia
11-10-2011, 14:15
Absolute TOP set-up.
Can only assume Tom has lost his hearing (not his marbles!) to be selling this!
Phrases like "digging deeper into the music" etc apply.

Tarzan
11-10-2011, 16:11
X2 that deck is fit, good luck with the sale:stalks:

danudanu
12-10-2011, 16:52
PM sent

Spectral Morn
12-10-2011, 16:59
PM sent

Scuse me but your first post needs to be in the welcome section of the forum, not here as it implies you have zero interest in AOS, or contributing to the AOS community but only in buying this, very fine turntable.

Now if montesquieu decides to sell to you or not is a separate issue but from AOS's point of view we consider it extremely rude to join just to buy or sell (more so selling but this is only slightly more rude than wanting to buy only) So on your return pop into the Welcome section, as you were asked to do as part of your joining process and tell us about your system, taste in music and a wee bit about yourself.

Regards D S D L

Thing Fish
12-10-2011, 18:15
I didn't thing you could send or receive PM's with under 5 posts...?

Reid Malenfant
12-10-2011, 18:18
I didn't thing you could send or receive PM's with under 5 posts...?
It probably disappeared into a rather voracious black hole Dave, never to be seen again ;)

montesquieu
12-10-2011, 18:54
Indeed. No PM arrived.

Reid Malenfant
12-10-2011, 19:00
Indeed. No PM arrived.
I thought so :eyebrows: That's a really gorgeous looking deck you have there & very well specified to with all the extra kit :) If i was into vinyl more than i am i think you'd find it sold by now ;)

montesquieu
12-10-2011, 19:02
Tons of interest and queries, quite a few offers for the constituent bits, one audition. I'll leave it till the weekend to see how it goes I'm much rather keep it all together (synergy is superb) but if needs must I will break them as the thing I have my eye on won't stick around forever.

Reid Malenfant
12-10-2011, 19:05
Fingers crossed you get what you are after :) Must be some bit of kit if you are selling this to fund it :eek:

Thing Fish
12-10-2011, 19:14
Fingers crossed you get what you are after :) Must be some bit of kit if you are selling this to fund it :eek:

That's what I was thinking...:scratch:

WOStantonCS100
12-10-2011, 19:32
Lucky fella whoever gets this deck next. :drool:

Marco
12-10-2011, 19:42
Indeed. No PM arrived.

It would've done, Tom, had Danuta read the joining procedure and complied with it. This is the email which is sent out to all new members, once they've registered:

Before posting in the main areas of the forum, please pop into the Welcome area and say 'hello', giving your proper first name, basic location, something about your system and something about your favourite music.

You will be assured of a warm welcome, it helps us get to know you, and it's part of what we think makes The Art of Sound a proper community.

Thank you!

Pretty straighforward, innit?

Had he done as he was asked, he'd now likely have sufficient privileges in order to send PMs, and you might have sold your Garrard! It's just sheer bloody laziness that people don't read things properly - or even worse, read it and think 'fuck that, I'm only here to satisfy my own selfish needs'.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure that your T/T will go to a good home soon!

Marco.

danudanu
13-10-2011, 18:03
I have done things back to front in my excitement joining this site for which I am sorry and hopefully will upset too many people for too long

I have posted onto the welcome forum now

I had spent quite some time reading these forums lately that I guess I "forgot " that I was new , so to speak

:sorry: I rushed too much when I saw this for sale

Marco
13-10-2011, 18:53
Hi Danuta,

No problem, mate. I'm sure you realise and appreciate why we do what we do :)

Anyway, are you still interested in the Garrard? :cool:

Marco.

danudanu
13-10-2011, 20:49
thanks for reminding me to RTFI ;)

I feel some passion has gone into this Garrard and would like to have it complete to fully appreciate that time and effort........but things have gone quiet ? :scratch:

Marco
13-10-2011, 20:51
Well, one more post and you can PM Tom! ;)

Marco.

montesquieu
16-10-2011, 22:23
Now SOLD