PDA

View Full Version : Free! - Cosi Fan Tutti DVD - Gardiner / DG

jandl100
11-10-2011, 08:32
Trying to expand my musical horizons further into opera I bought this Hong Kong pirate knock-off of the JE Gardiner Cosi ... Amanda Roocroft etc.

Well, I tried. But after about 50 minutes I got so cheesed off with the cheesy plot I'm afraid that I gave up.

So ... free, gratis and for nothing (I'll even pay the UK postage :)) ... anyone want this DVD-Video?

I'll give it a few days and then if there are mulitple volunteers I'll just select the "winner" at random. :)

It's this recording .... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Cosi-Tutte---Gardiner-NTSC/dp/B00006J9OU/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1318321049&sr=1-1

Yes, it's a Hong Kong pirate DVD, but was fine as far as I watched it.

Marco
11-10-2011, 08:38
Cheers for the offer for folks, Jerry - nice one! :)

Btw, as an aside, it would be good if you used this section of the forum more often, having asked for it, by at least telling us what classical music you've been listening to on the 'spinning today' classical section....

You must listen to loads of different stuff every day, dude, so let's hear about those classical gems that have been filling jandl towers with beautiful music! :cool:

If you posted regularly on the 'spinning today' thread, it would help waken up this section of the forum..... Try and make it a daily visit.

Marco.

griffo104
11-10-2011, 09:23
Get your hands on some Wagner Jerry, if you haven't already, or Strauss.

If you want some proper Mozart opera, you need to get Don Giovanni.

jandl100
11-10-2011, 09:27
Wagner? - that's just fat people shouting at each other. :eyebrows:

Mozart? - I have Marriage of Figaro with Bryn Terfel on DVD. That's good.

My fave opera, though, is Handel's Xerxes - I really enjoy that on DVD. :thumbsup:
Ooooo - Valerie Masterson and a young Leslie Garrett. Yummy. :eek:

Always looking for new stuff to try, though.

griffo104
11-10-2011, 11:04
Yep, Wagner is fat people shouting but some of the music is simply amazing.

I'll have a look through my DVD collection and see what I've got and if interested I'll send them up to you- I've got some Verdi and Puccini in there. Got in to opera in a very big way about 10 years ago but sadly never seem to have the time to sit down and enjoy one from start to finish nowadays.

I've got a full Ring cycle but posting that may be a problem :scratch: I've got a few operas on Cd as well, although more on vinyl nowadays.

I'll see what I've got and if interested will post them up to you.

I could always pop up to you but I don't seem to have any spare weekends at the moment (just got back from Italy and off to yorkshire next weekend, followed by Mid-Wales/Shrewsbury) - too many social activities.

I'll see what I've got and let you know.

jandl100
11-10-2011, 11:12
I've had a full Wagner Ring Cycle on DVD - Barenboim.
I tried, I really did .... :scratch:

I do have a personal problem (ooh, missus!) with the overblown melodrama of Grand Opera. I just get embarassed with all the over-emoting. It really isn't my thing. So probably forget Verdi, Wagner etc ....

But, yep, it would be great to have you visit sometime ... when you can fit me into your busy schedule! :)

griffo104
11-10-2011, 11:18
:lolsign:Ah Barenboim is the cycle I have except it's on CD - had before this new fangled DVD stuff came out.

I'll have to try and sort something out about popping up to you. I need to hear those speakers of yours.

I'll check what I've got and see if there's something outside of the usual over-emoting, but without that is it proper opera :lolsign:

griffo104
12-10-2011, 13:29
Checked the opera list last night Jerry and I doubt you would want any of the DVDs very much seem to be the type of Opera you dislike. On CD I do have some Haydn and Handel operas. Not sure if you fancy trying one or tow of those out ?

I do have some Prokofiev and Rimsky-korsakov (spelling?) as well both from Gergiev and his Moscow forces. Not quite the over-emoting soon fest you dislike.

also on CD I have contemporary operas from the likes of Birtwistle, Glass, Turnage and Andriessen (done in conjunction with Peter Greenaway no less).

I can post a couple up to at the weekend or we can try and sort out a Suturday and meet up and I bring some along. Maybe if we sort a date out we can actually finally meet up :lolsign:

jandl100
20-10-2011, 09:08
Whoops - sorry griffo, I forgot to reply to your generous offer!

I'll, umm, go slowly on my opera adventure. I certainly find that I need the visual experience to have even a faint chance with most opera. Glass's Akhnaten being the singular exception to that - I saw that live at the ENO and have the CBS recording on CD. I wish they'd bring out a DVD-Video of it!

BTW - check out my charity sale of opera LP box sets in the classical music section!
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13785 ;)

MartinT
25-10-2011, 19:17
I have a similar problem with opera, probably the same root cause as my dislike of musical films. Like you, Jerry, I've tried and generally failed. Saying that, a rousingly performed Carmen (for instance, the superb Julia Migenes in the film of the opera) can certainly do it for me.