PDA

View Full Version : Changing Pass-times

Rare Bird
10-10-2011, 19:56
I've recently been getting extremely pi**ed off with Hi-Fi as an whole, spent too many years trying to get it right but never have been happy with it. I decided to buy a bunch of vintage stuff & just listern to it.Job done

I decided recently to start buying in reference books i used to own when i was a teenager covering Diesel & Electric railways from the 1940's to the 1970's..brings back a lot of memories aswell as indepth study that i kinda forgotten about over the years. I'm thoroughly enjoying it all. I don't think you'll see me around here too often in the future.If it keeps me away from certain people on here it must be a good idea.

sparrow
10-10-2011, 21:30
If you don't post here as much Andre I will miss you mate..even if I do have a wee laugh at some of the bands you listen to that I've nver heard of.:eyebrows:

Rare Bird
05-04-2012, 23:58
I have to go, i detest this hobby more & more to the point i dont give a crap what i play my music on.. Im going dudes ive truly had enough of it.

Bye i really mean it this time.

seoirse2002
06-04-2012, 10:08
And here was I thinking I was the only one!
While I still go on here to read some of the oneupmanship and technical blurb that is meaningless to me, I still get some information and enjoy "three little words daily" but most of the techie talk just goes over my head,and Ive felt like an idiot sometimes when I asked a question.
After a few months of buying and selling to "upgrade" Ive realised that at my age, my ears are no longer capable of hearing certain frequencies talked about on here,and I started to get lost in the equipment,rather than the the music.
In reality,I was trying out stuff I couldent afford in the 70s/80s. and looking for that "sound" that I so enjoyed in those days,but couldent seem to get it right.
Lately,Ive had my old AR 77XB(bought in 1978) rewired,pulled out my Leak Delta 70 and old Harmon Kardon 930 receiver,and original Kef Concords(with the metal grilles) and DM2s and have been listening to them with great pleasure..Ive also even used my old Aiwa cassette deck and Sony TC730 open reel.. and Ive stopped trying to hear things I cant, and am just enjoying the music....so I know how you feel....the "let your ears decide" has never been more true in my case,no matter what anyone says I should be hearing...and I really missed the TONE CONTROLS LOL!
I think Ill be getting rid of a lot of nice(so they say) stuff soon.....but theres something about those EAR speakers....GT

bogle111
06-04-2012, 11:09
And here was I thinking I was the only one!
While I still go on here to read some of the oneupmanship and technical blurb that is meaningless to me, I still get some information and enjoy "three little words daily" but most of the techie talk just goes over my head,and Ive felt like an idiot sometimes when I asked a question.

......rather than the the music.

In reality,I was trying out stuff I couldent afford in the 70s/80s. and looking for that "sound" that I so enjoyed in those days,but couldent seem to get it right.

....the "let your ears decide" has never been more true in my case,no matter what anyone says I should be hearing...and I really missed the TONE CONTROLS LOL!

I would agree with most of what you said George. You have held onto your old kit as I did. Although having liked music, I let it become a means of financial income, which killed a lot of enjoyment for me. Over the years I collected a lot of stuff. I've been through the
Flat Earth Brigade (not for me)
Rare Earth Crew (too anal)
Round Earth Group (I know what I like which isn't perfect, but suits my ears, pocket and needs. If all records, rooms and equipment were perfect, we would not need TONE CONTROLS).

There are other things in life (as well). In the next year or so I too shall be getting rid of my collection, so as not to cause a headache for my wife on what to do with it and because I would like to see it go to a good home. Though I like the kit, I just don't use it all so it becomes "furniture" or "mementoes" of previous efforts, no more, no less.

This goes for selling the equipment. I would rather it went to a good home than just the highest bidder.

Regards
Pete

StanleyB
06-04-2012, 11:32
Andre, have you considered photography? It can be a lot more fun than HIFI, gives you the chance to go out of the house more, and you can mess about with the picture on your PC without harming anyone.

seoirse2002
06-04-2012, 11:54
Totally agree Peter,but not many would admit to it,having already spent a fortune on all the gear.
Ive been recently showing my wife pics on here of certain peoples listening rooms with obviously very expensive kit...and she mistook it for envy...
She gave me the short answer..."well,you could always sell the porsche".....
mmmm...prefer the sound of that!

Spectral Morn
06-04-2012, 14:24
Guys I don't think it is a particularly nice thing to do, to take this test in the way you all are.

Frankly I think you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Andre is a friend, I care about him and to take the piss in this way is truly shameful I am disgusted. To mock those with issues is........

I am locking the thread and soft deleting the comments and I will see what the others think as to whether this thread should be reopened and the test posts reinstalled.

:(