PDA

View Full Version : hello AOS

hermit
09-10-2011, 16:51
hi,

Paul here. I'm Edinburgh based and signed up here after some encouragement from Simon who assures me you are a friendly bunch. My user name is hermit because I am, generally, a bit reclusive. I have got back into hi-fi in the last 18 months since a NAD AV receiver went on fire. I have since assembled a modest s/h system which gives me a lot of pleasure. The squeezebox is the sole survivor.

Shanling CD T80
Squeezebox 1
Beresford 7510 - modded by tirna
Marantz 2050 tuner
Rotel RC06/RB06 amps
B&W 685

Here are some pics: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/25849675/1/public?h=d4589f

I am particularly pleased with my innovative cat based cable tidy system. This one could take me all the way to dragon's den. Form an orderly queue please.

My music taste are pretty wide and range from jazz to house. At the moment, I am listening to a lot of blues, soul funk and 70's stuff. Here's a snapshot

John Martyn
James Taylor
Neil Young
Carol King
CSNY
Van Morrison
Gerry Rafferty
Doors
The Band
Rolling Stones
John Lee Hooker
Buddy Guy
Muddy Waters
Howlin Wolf
Dr John
all the Kings - BB, Freddie, Earl and Albert
Etta James
Donald Byrd
Maceo Parker
Fred Wesley
Sly Stone
Al Green

You get the idea - I'm nearing 50 and on a major nostalgia trip

bye for now

The Grand Wazoo
09-10-2011, 17:11
Hi Paul,
Great introduction!
Here's a big warm welcome to The Art of Sound from me.
How do you get on with your Marantz? You can't beat a big old Japanese tuner!

Cheers

hermit
09-10-2011, 17:32
hi chris

thanks for your welcome. I picked up the Marantz recently. At the minute, it is performing its secondary function of looking amazing. It's in great condition but, I really need an FM roof aerial. Just now I have it wired to an out of use slightly buggered tv aerial and it hisses a bit too much in stereo. Sounds lovely though with the mono button pressed. I plan on getting a freesat hd recorder at some point when I have more cash and that will necessitate an aerial man to run a second cable from the dish so I'll put the tuner aerial on hold till then and kill 2 birds with one stone.

paul

Reid Malenfant
09-10-2011, 17:35
Hi Paul, welcome to AoS from me also :) Sorry to hear you let the sacred smoke out of your Nad AV receiver, fire you say :eek: Pleased to hear that nothing worse happened.

I hope you enjoy your stay, all the best :cool:

hermit
09-10-2011, 17:50
Thanks Mark. Yeah smoke and flame - good job I was home at the time. Still, it worked out well in that it got me started on the hifi road again.

Thing Fish
09-10-2011, 17:56
Welcome Hermit...:wave:

Lucky your innovative cable system didn't get singed...!

John
09-10-2011, 18:06
Welcome To AOS Paul
I hope you enjoy your stay here. Yes we generally quite a friendly bunch here

MartinT
09-10-2011, 18:12
Hello Paul and welcome to AoS. Nice cable tidy...err...cat :)

hermit
09-10-2011, 18:19
Welcome Hermit...:wave:

Lucky your innovative cable system didn't get singed...!

:lol:

so you're assuming that the cat in the picture is alive ;)

actually the cat based cable tidy system is a recent development!

Alex_UK
09-10-2011, 19:55
Hi Paul, welcome to AoS from me too - enjoy! :)

Spectral Morn
09-10-2011, 21:30
Welcome to AOS Paul

Regards D S D L

sburrell
10-10-2011, 18:15
Hi there Paul!

Great pic of the cat - my two sleep so often I should take advantage and make them useful like you've done with yours :)

Glad you're enjoying my old 7510, and I look forward to arranging a side-by-side some day with my new Caiman and your valve Shanling.

Cheers :)

hermit
10-10-2011, 18:28
Hi there Paul!

Great pic of the cat - my two sleep so often I should take advantage and make them useful like you've done with yours :)

Glad you're enjoying my old 7510, and I look forward to arranging a side-by-side some day with my new Caiman and your valve Shanling.

Cheers :)

Thanks Simon. Very pleased with your old caimanised 7510. It would be interesting to hear it against a real Caiman.

Beechwoods
13-10-2011, 18:16
Welcome to AOS Paul!