PDA

View Full Version : A few tweaks = Happy Customer

kininigin
09-10-2011, 15:34
Having owned some MG G1000HD's for a while and being perfectly happy with them,i knew that cables made a difference,but when it came to mains cables,i was a little more sceptical.

So when dan (busytip) had a MG DSP 2.5 for sale,i thought,i've got some spare cash,lets see what all the fuss is about.

When it arrived,i popped it into the croft pre and had a listen.Straight away there was more refinement in all the frequencys and a quieter background.
There was a greater sense of seperation between instruments and vocals,which was most welcome.Safe to say,i was pleasantly suprised.

Dan also said he had another two 1.5m lengths,and if i was happy with the first cable,he'd offer me the other two.So of course,i bought the other two,which after clarifying i wasn't using a cheap crap extention block ;) (im using A Belkin PF30) he said he would put the cables into a hydra mains plug so i could stick it into the high current socket,as i planned to use them for my active monitors.

While waiting the the two mains leads,i thought i would upgrade my digital and anologue cables as well.Contacted mark grant,and decided to trade in my G1000HD's for G1500HD's and a Supra Trico Digital Coax with WBT 0110 Ag plugs.

So today i decided to plug in the rest of the new purchases and also took the chance to re-route the total mess of cables behind my rack and clean plugs and sockets with some alchohol.

All i can say is WOW a significant amount of clarity is now present,with far more ambience and seperation of instruments.The soundstage appears to have a more tangible amount of depth whilst projecting out and to the sides a little more.

Bass is tighter,deeper but also more tuneful.The midrange is way more open and clear,whilst the high frequencys are sweet,more natural and less grainy than before.There's a more fluid presentation,with more micro detail coming through now,which im really enjoying.

I was worried about my speakers not being able to keep up with the rest of my system,and have been looking at replacing them.After these ''tweaks'' i don't think i need to,they sound alot more refined now,which supprised me.

All in all,im one happy camper :cool:

Effem
09-10-2011, 15:52
Nah, it's all in your imagination Darren :lol:

A change of mains cables cannot possibly make any improvements to the sounds you are hearing - allegedly.

Glad though that you took the plunge into the aftermarket cables pond and have got some really satisfying results for not too much outlay.

Enjoy :cool:

MartinT
09-10-2011, 16:05
Indeed, we'll be getting the "but there's miles of copper cable between your wall socket and the power station" argument soon. Yet, you have heard what a difference good power cables can make. It's better than a good component upgrade, don't you think? Well done!

kininigin
09-10-2011, 16:07
All i can say is,you'd have to be blind as a bat not to here the difference cables can make,something like that anyway :lol:

I was thinking of getting MG to make me a tonearm cable with G1500HD plugs,can anyone comment on whether it's suitable for this purpose?

Do tonearm cables have different properties/construction to stereo cables?

kininigin
09-10-2011, 16:14
Indeed, we'll be getting the "but there's miles of copper cable between your wall socket and the power station" argument soon. Yet, you have heard what a difference good power cables can make. It's better than a good component upgrade, don't you think? Well done!

Definitaly agree with you there martin,i was seriously think of buying new speakers and spending £600-800.Having spent far far less than that on a few cables,my whole system has improved for the better and i've saved some wonga.

Reid Malenfant
09-10-2011, 17:21
Do tonearm cables have different properties/construction to stereo cables?
Not really no, they are just thicker than your average tonearm cable & probably better constructed than most. In certain ways it sounds like a good idea as with a bigger diameter cable the capacitance will be reduced given a similar length. You'd probably just need to add an earthing wire in there & that's about it..

MartinT
09-10-2011, 18:08
Tonearm cables do tend to have good screening whereas some interconnects have none. In terms of sound, they vary greatly as with other cables.

Reid Malenfant
09-10-2011, 18:15
Tonearm cables do tend to have good screening whereas some interconnects have none.
True, but the MGs have excellent screening, very high coverage braided & aluminised mylar full screen under that. As the OP was asking about the MG cables i neglected to bother mentioning unscreened stuff ;)

I didn't think it was relevant, though i guess for completeness i should have done :eyebrows: However anyone that is dumb enough to try unscreened cable from a record deck deserves all the hum he's going to get!

MartinT
09-10-2011, 18:16
anyone that is dumb enough to try unscreened cable from a record deck deserves all the hum he's going to get!

Indeed ;)

kininigin
09-10-2011, 19:12
Not really no, they are just thicker than your average tonearm cable & probably better constructed than most. In certain ways it sounds like a good idea as with a bigger diameter cable the capacitance will be reduced given a similar length. You'd probably just need to add an earthing wire in there & that's about it..

cheers for clearing that up mark,i all ways wondered.

Looks like MG will be hearing from me again then.

Reid Malenfant
09-10-2011, 19:29
I think that if you think about it logically (Mark puts on Spock persona :eyebrows:) if you are finding that certain interconnects are doing the business then there shouldn't be any reason they won't with lower level signals (assuming they are well screened) ;)

After all, if specific phono cables were better we'd all be rushing out to purchase them to run line level stuff wouldn't we :eyebrows:

MartinT
09-10-2011, 19:45
I've not used G1000HD as a tonearm cable but I can vouch for its superb quality, especially in G2000HD form with WBT connectors. There is no reason that a tonearm plug and earth cable couldn't be incorporated.

kininigin
09-10-2011, 19:47
This is what i was thinking.I like the cables running my amps and dac,why not use it for the tonearm as well? and keep the synergy.Or is there something we have missed :scratch:

MartinT
09-10-2011, 19:52
Or is there something we have missed :scratch:

Only whether you could get it physically into a tonearm plug. Why not ask Mark Grant directly, you can PM him here?

kininigin
09-10-2011, 20:00
Only whether you could get it physically into a tonearm plug. Why not ask Mark Grant directly, you can PM him here?

All ready have martin,says he's made a few with Neutrik Profi connectors (what i intend to use)and sme din plug.Just wanted to make sure there was no technical reason for this way not to work.

Marco
09-10-2011, 20:10
Hi Darren,

Nice one, mate - I'm really pleased for you :)

You've bought some top-quality cables; stuff I recommend on here all the time and that represents some of the best cables on the market - we're talking serious SPPV here...

Anyway, mate, enjoy. Your system has certainly come on leaps and bounds since you joined AoS! :cool:

Marco.

kininigin
09-10-2011, 20:32
cheers marco,it's quite staggering how much of a difference there is now.Im very pleased how my system has progressed over the last couple of years.

It absolutly spanks the arcam/wharfedale/marantz i started with and i had that system for about ten years,so i expect this to last me at least as long.

The next main purchase will be something that will enable me to play my file based sources without using the pc,squeezebox touch i hear you all shout :lol:

Vinyl wise,phono cable is on the cards for a change and some isonoes.There were some isonoes for sale on ebay the other week.He had a set of 8 in two seperate listings,which i was watching.I put a film on and completly forgot about the auction.Both sets went for about £60 :doh:

Reid Malenfant
09-10-2011, 20:35
I put a film on and completly forgot about the auction.Both sets went for about £60 :doh:
I find AoS has the same kind of effect :lol: Get too busy looking & replying to stuff & you lose out...

Well hopefully it gets cheaper in the end ;)

kininigin
01-11-2011, 12:57
since i've installed these new cables,i've not listened to any music up until yesterday,due to working like a dog.

I've got a load of new records to play,so today im going to make up for 2 weeks of listening to the radio in the van.Let the good times roll....think i'll start with some hip hop ;)

kininigin
01-12-2011, 21:50
Having been impressed by the G1500HD's between pre and actives,i have ordered,a pair of G2000HD's,to go between pre and dac.I've got no work till monday,so can have a proper listening session over the weekend,which i haven't done for awhile.

Also after a lucky timing of a question i had,i'll be recieving an oyaide tonearm cable,which im also eager to hear.I must say,after listening to some vinyl today and being impressed with what i heard,if the oyaide can improve on the jelco which im using atm (im sure it will) then i'll be very happy.

kininigin
21-01-2012, 10:19
A quick update,i have had the oyaide and MG G2000's a couple of months now and have to say they are both excellent cables.

With the oyaide cable,it's less smeared than the jelco,so instruments are better seperated.It has a far more natural quality to it and i now have a less bloated bass presence.

The G2000's are similar to the G1500's but up the ante a couple of notches (or three :eyebrows:)

I hate trying to explain what changes things make,im more of the type that 'feels' and to me these feel right :)

The oyaide and G2000's are both amazing products and bring big improvements to my system.

Bonky
04-02-2012, 20:23
Hope I'm not seen to be hijacking this thread..but..

I'm thinking of putting my toes in this (murky) water.

I'm think first of 1.5m of MG mains lead (with connectors). Where should this go, in the amp, CD player, squeezebox, to hear the most difference?

Thanks,

Bonky

Ali Tait
04-02-2012, 20:30
Just try it in all and see where it makes the most difference.