PDA

View Full Version : IC: Tannoy 12" Monitor Gold Lancasters with stands

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 11:12
Hi guys.

This hurts...a lot.

After months of looking for a new house it looks like we have decided on one that simply won't be able to accommodate my lovely Tannoys.

The are 12" Monitor golds in superb condition Lancaster cabinets. They have had new crossovers fitted and have very decent quality binding posts from Hifi Collective.

They come with my Abbey Road inspired (1 month old) something solid stands of which I totally recommend. They come with the original plinth bases too of which are simply screwed on.

The sound from these is amazing as you may have read from my previous threads. I'm still thinking about this and trying to figure a way of keeping them but what I don't want to do is put them in to storage. I don't see the point in that as they need to be enjoyed.

Things are moving fast and so I'd better get me skates on with this or else storage will become them.

I'm looking for £1800 for them. The 15" Lancasters are going for over £2200 on ebay these days and strange as it may seem the 12" MG's sound much better than the 15's in the Lancasters.

This is a sad day for me as they are everything I wanted in style and sound.

If anyone is interested and would like to make me a sensible offer please do.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/Tannoy%20stands/DSC05185.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/Tannoy%20stands/DSC05184.jpg

Thing Fish
08-10-2011, 16:04
That's a shame. Breaking up such a lovely setup.

Wakefield Turntables
08-10-2011, 17:10
Joe,

I would love to have a pair of Tannoy's! They sure do look lovely, gutted for you that you have to sell them :doh:

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 17:19
Thanks guys.

I know... I know. It's really painful to do this and I'm still trying to find a plan to keep them but I think any more trying is rather futile as the new living room is just too narrow for them.

I've tried to put the plan to knock the wall out but unfortunately that would be in to the garden, lol..

Thing Fish
08-10-2011, 17:51
Thanks guys.
I've tried to put the plan to knock the wall out but unfortunately that would be in to the garden, lol..

Gardens are overated in my opinion. Get that wall down...:lol:

Or convert the attic into a man cave...:eek:

Dingdong
08-10-2011, 18:40
If you want to put them in storage I could probably find some space in my 'storage' facility for them. I'd do you a cheap rate as well;)

DSJR
08-10-2011, 19:23
Can you not use them along the long wall? Firing bigger speakers down an oblong room isn't always a good idea I found..

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 19:52
No can do.. other furniture n that.

Reid Malenfant
08-10-2011, 19:58
Joe, have you considered having some narrower enclosures built to utilise the 12" monitor golds?

I'm not thinking of me as i have my own problems :eyebrows:

But as long as the internal volume is kept the same & the port tuned to the same frequency then they'll sound the same given some care. They only need to be as wide as the driver + wood on each side, but the front to back depth & height can be altered to suit.

Store the Lancaster cabs & still get to use those lovely Tannoy drivers :)

Wakefield Turntables
08-10-2011, 20:10
Storage seems to be the best way forward, I bet if you buy another pair in the future they will be even more expensive :(

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 20:12
Yeah thought of that but I've got two little un's ere and the only time I've got is to breath and blink... eating and sleeping is for wimps. :o

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 20:15
Storage seems to be the best way forward, I bet if you buy another pair in the future they will be even more expensive :(

Oh... I know and I just know I'm going to kick me sen if I do sell em. Storage, well... it's an idea but I've got so much to move and I just don't know how I'm going to get to use them...

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 20:16
That's a shame. Breaking up such a lovely setup.

Arrrgh!... It's bloody lovely and it hurts.

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 20:17
If you want to put them in storage I could probably find some space in my 'storage' facility for them. I'd do you a cheap rate as well;)

Aw, cheers matey... I'll keep it in mind.

Thing Fish
08-10-2011, 20:40
The all omnipitant deity 'Tannoy' is telling you to keep his children Joe.

Do not foresake them for the devil's drivers.

Build a giant shed. Line it with the fur of audio. lead them in two by two and wait for the great rains to subside...:wheniwasaboy:

Reid Malenfant
08-10-2011, 20:42
:lol:

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 20:47
oh bloody'ell... it's come down to scripture... I think the gods are angry with this thread.

aquapiranha
08-10-2011, 22:00
nice nixie clock.

The Black Adder
08-10-2011, 22:21
nice nixie clock.

lol... cheers. That will fit in the new place... haha

vencel
10-10-2011, 12:21
Hello Joe,

Sorry to read you are thinking on selling your Tannoys. We cannot allow to lose such a Tannoy fan like you.
I hope you'll find a solution to keep them. As others noted: you'll have to pay much more later if you decided to buy them again.

I hope you can keep your Quads. WHat speakers do you plan to use in your new place?

Regards,

The Black Adder
10-10-2011, 14:19
Hello Joe,

Sorry to read you are thinking on selling your Tannoys. We cannot allow to lose such a Tannoy fan like you.
I hope you'll find a solution to keep them. As others noted: you'll have to pay much more later if you decided to buy them again.

I hope you can keep your Quads. WHat speakers do you plan to use in your new place?

Regards,

Thanks matey. No idea yet.. I've got some old Celestions here so they will have to fill the gap me thinks.

I'd like to try some Isobariks to try and get near the size of the sound and bass of the Tannoys but we shall have to see. Budget n all that shizzle.

Alex_UK
10-10-2011, 22:25
If you need to downsize Joe, I can recommend Harbeth SHL-5's - you should try some. :eyebrows: ;)

Stratmangler
10-10-2011, 22:31
I'd like to try some Isobariks to try and get near the size of the sound and bass of the Tannoys but we shall have to see. Budget n all that shizzle.

Pop up and see Toppsy and listen to his Edingdales ;)

The Black Adder
11-10-2011, 04:42
If you need to downsize Joe, I can recommend Harbeth SHL-5's - you should try some. :eyebrows: ;)

lol... They are tempting (again). Oh but the sheer scale of the sound from the Tannoys is to die for... the post below looks ruddy interesting though Alex.

The Black Adder
11-10-2011, 04:43
Pop up and see Toppsy and listen to his Edingdales ;)

Hmmmmm... These look very interesting indeed!

jandl100
11-10-2011, 08:01
Why the rush to sell, Joe?

Why not try them in your new house and see how they work? You might be surprised. :)
... ime you cannot always tell how well or badly speakers will work in a room. I've seen some seriously strange looking setups that actually work very well.

Toppsy
11-10-2011, 12:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
Pop up and see Toppsy and listen to his Edingdales

Hmmmmm... These look very interesting indeed!

The Black Adder,

Check out the latest: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=257428&postcount=15

The Black Adder
11-10-2011, 18:41
Hi Jerry... They are too big.. (wide) height and depth are fine. With the other furniture in there they would simply not fit. A rush because it will only be more of a stress later.

Reid Malenfant
11-10-2011, 18:50
Colin appears to be your man for enclosures. As i mentioned previously, why not store the Lancaster enclosures & get someone like Colin to make some narrower versions with the same internal volume, tuning etc ;)

After all Joe, you keep going on about the scale that the Tannoys can manage, this is a way to keep the very same & fit into your new environment...

If i was so enamoured of a pair of speakers & couldn't build my own, this is the route i'd take ;) As you keep what you really want to :eyebrows:

The Black Adder
11-10-2011, 20:35
That is a great idea Mark... I'll look in to that, thanks!

The Black Adder
14-10-2011, 18:26
Sod it... I'm keeping em!

I need to figure out what I'm going to do with them in the new place but I have a cunning plan my lord and it's so cunning you can brush ya teeth with it.

I've been listening to my friends 15's in Lancs today but they are too chesty to which he also agrees (he's waiting to buy some GRF's). To justify the sale retraction I thought I'd just let you know why.

The 12" MG's in the Lancasters sound much nicer with a stupendous accuracy and fulsome bass whilst losing nothing in the mids or highs. I'd put this down to the new crossovers and being on stands as the sheer scale of the sound is all encompassing. I can only imagine what GRF's sound like.

The only other set of speakers that have made me really smile ever are the Harbeth SHL5's to which I'd be happy to go back too and seeing as size is still an issue it would be a sacrifice for sonic scale... But Hey Ho!

IMO something else around £1800 will not give me the same feeling as these in sonics, style and heritage.

Reid Malenfant
14-10-2011, 20:32
:mex: Wise decision me thinks :)

The 12" work better in the Lancaster enclosures due to the driver VAS being lower with the 12" than the 15". With the 15" it'll no doubt sound a bit peaky (chesty is a good one :eyebrows:) in the upper bass (say 50 - 60Hz) & probably roll off quicker in the low end than the 12" versions...

The 15" MGs need bigger enclosures - simples ;)

Ammonite Audio
15-10-2011, 07:03
Sod it... I'm keeping em!

.....................The 12" MG's in the Lancasters sound much nicer with a stupendous accuracy and fulsome bass whilst losing nothing in the mids or highs. I'd put this down to the new crossovers and being on stands........................

You've certainly made the right decision as these things are only going to be more expensive to buy into later on.

What have you done to your Tannoy crossovers? My attempts at building entirely new crossovers have not been very successful, so now I'm simply going to overhaul the existing ones. In particular, I have a feeling that the HF section autotransformer is important, and not easy to replicate (I did e-mail Sowter to ask if they could make one, but have not received a reply). There is a chap on eBay (betterbyvalves) who sells crossovers for MGs and HPDs etc and I'm going to have a chat with him - in the meantime I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has any experience of his work.

Thing Fish
15-10-2011, 07:58
Crisis averted...:grouphug:

Marco
15-10-2011, 09:59
Smart move, Joe. Never let WAF get in the way of keeping something which means a great deal to you! And it's obvious ya lurves yer Tannoys!

If she loves you, she'll compromise.... ;)

Marco.

The Black Adder
15-10-2011, 12:59
lol.. it's not the WAF thats the problem (really! :o) it's the house thats not Tannoy friendly.

House or speakers? Speakers or House? - Hmmm! We could live in the speakers?

synsei
15-10-2011, 13:56
lol.. it's not the WAF thats the problem (really! :o) it's the house thats not Tannoy friendly.

House or speakers? Speakers or House? - Hmmm! We could live in the speakers?

:lol::lol::lol:

DSJR
15-10-2011, 19:24
If she loves you, she'll compromise.... ;)

Marco.

I don't think you live in the real world Marco. Glad your better half lets you get away with it :lol:

synsei
15-10-2011, 20:07
My other half is very understanding, although I have had several of those 'looks' since I took an interest in Colin's Edingdale speakers :lolsign:

The Black Adder
15-10-2011, 20:18
lol.. strange how we all know 'that look' - it says everything yet nothing at all.

Silence is agreement!

lol

synsei
15-10-2011, 20:20
Shush, she's looking.... :eyebrows: :lolsign::lolsign::lolsign:

DSJR
15-10-2011, 20:31
:sofa:

synsei
15-10-2011, 20:41
LMAO!!! Dave, my partner Jo just asked me to ask you if you watch Dr Who? (in ref to the icon btw) :lolsign:

The Black Adder
15-10-2011, 21:12
Dave, Dave? - Already too many Daves round ere.. Anyway, Dave (1) has curly hair, wears a long scarf and has an amplifier in the shape of a dog... that should answer your question... Dear boy!

:p

My name is Dave!