PDA

View Full Version : Wharfdale Linton 3XP speakers

Wakefield Turntables
06-10-2011, 18:44
Has anyone had a go with these. I'm picking a pair up for £15 on Saturday and wondered if anyone has had any experience with them??

vinylspinner
06-10-2011, 19:43
I had a pair of these in the mid to late 70's, served me well until I changed to Kef 104ab set up, also had a pair of Glendales, may still have some old pics somewhere.

Nigel

DSJR
06-10-2011, 20:33
They're very cheap and will give you that "vintage" sound, which I think was tamed somewhat over the rather squawky 2XP models (from memory) - and here's me with some mk1 Dentons :)

Wakefield Turntables
07-10-2011, 14:51
thanks guys. I'm finding I'm getting lots of joy from fettling and dismantling old gear so these speakers should keep me out of trouble for a few days.

tannoy man
07-10-2011, 15:45
They were my first hi fi Speakers, brand new for my 14th birthday.
I cant give a balanced review because I was like a Pig in shit.

DSJR
07-10-2011, 17:50
Sometimes, I think our memories are extremely rose tinted. However, I vividly remember my first exposure to proper HiFi, and that was an SP25mk3 with AT66 I think/Metrosound ST20 amp and Denton speakers. having recently bought some Dentons of the same era (late 60's), I do have to say that my memories weren't too inaccurate, since what they lack in smoothness and absolute resolution, they make up for with a huge-hearted sound that never fails to make me smile, since they cover their tracks so very well. Hopefully, these later Lintons will do the same for you with any luck :)

Wakefield Turntables
08-10-2011, 17:02
Sometimes, I think our memories are extremely rose tinted. However, I vividly remember my first exposure to proper HiFi, and that was an SP25mk3 with AT66 I think/Metrosound ST20 amp and Denton speakers. having recently bought some Dentons of the same era (late 60's), I do have to say that my memories weren't too inaccurate, since what they lack in smoothness and absolute resolution, they make up for with a huge-hearted sound that never fails to make me smile, since they cover their tracks so very well. Hopefully, these later Lintons will do the same for you with any luck :)

Would you say that they were a good speaker for rock music? I was supposed to get them today but will now have to wait until Monday. :doh:

DSJR
08-10-2011, 19:28
Would I say they were a good speaker???? Depends what you compare them with I think. They should certainly be funky enough and nearly thirty years may have changed the performance somewhat as well possibly.

Wakefield Turntables
08-10-2011, 20:07
Would I say they were a good speaker???? Depends what you compare them with I think. They should certainly be funky enough and nearly thirty years may have changed the performance somewhat as well possibly.

I bought these just to experiment with the cross over, so I'm not too bothered if they dont sound to great!

DSJR
09-10-2011, 11:28
Memories are funny things and you may well cause me to eat even more humble pie. Hope you have some fun with them in any case :)

Jac Hawk
09-10-2011, 11:40
I had a pair last year, and yes in a modestly sized room rock music has plenty of thump through them, as i recall they do have that 70's sound, plenty of bass and mid range only let down slightly by the high frequencies and stereo imaging, however i found they mellowed the sometimes over bright and clinical sound you get from CD and they put a smile on yer face.

RobHolt
09-10-2011, 12:41

Funnily enough I picked up a pair of Dentons last year out of curiosity.
I remember as a kid looking through the mags at the the double page Warfedale ads where they'd have the whole range spread across the pages.
Must have been about 10 years old at the time so no real money to buy anything like that, so just magazine shopping.

I'd agree with your assessment of the Dentons - big warm sound for a small speaker but a bit soft toned and foggy. Be interested to see these Lintons and how they perform.

DSJR
09-10-2011, 16:34
My Dentons (mk1's with that purply coloured cone-dome tweeter directly above the bass unit) don't lack sparkle at all (good for my ears at low volumes), but i agree about the "foggy" quality, which was just right for a cheapo budget UK made amp and SP25 style turntable, their rapid bass roll-off suppressing rumbles. The Lintons will certainly have a smoother bass for the 8" driver I think. Hope so anyway :)

synsei
11-10-2011, 16:52
I seem to remember the cheapest model in the Wharefdale XP range having a dual concentric drive unit with high frequencies being handled by a wizzer cone. I always assumed these were the Dentons, can anyone shed any light on my foggy memory?

DSJR
11-10-2011, 17:40
To my knowledge, Dentons always had a tweeter of some description, the purple cone-dome of mine evolving into a purply cone and then a paper one I think, which for some reason was offset to the right above the bass unit (and not mirror imaged either I believe).

Tell you what guys, if you see some Wharfedale 505's cheap, these were and are excellent as long as you don't mind black vinyl wrap boxes.....