PDA

View Full Version : Help! Random problem! - Hitachi flatscreen TV stopped working!

twelvebears
05-10-2011, 16:00
OK, this has got me totally stumped.

37" flat screen Hitachi, about - oh 3 years old.

Has worked perfectly and is safely fixed to a wall.

Was working perfectly when we watched a weekend but now it refuses to switch on from standby.

The standby light is on OK and it's not the remote because neither of the remotes which work the TV will do anything, nor will using the buttons on the TV itself.

Have repeatedly powered up and down inc removing the actual power lead. All no joy.

Very weird, annoying and all that. :scratch:

Any suggestions?

Reid Malenfant
05-10-2011, 16:36
Power supply, it'll be a switch mode PSU.. If there was a fault with the TV circuitry i'd expect it to power up & then shut down due to overload or under voltage.

Just a guess but as i'm not there to see what's going on it's about as near as you'll get :rolleyes:

twelvebears
05-10-2011, 16:48
Do people do repairs these days?

It's not the money, and personally I'd quite like and excuse to buy a new 42 or 50 inch TV for the movie room, but it makes me a bit cross that for a PSU worth a few quid, a perfectly good 1080 HD TV will end up in a land-fill somewhere!

Reid Malenfant
05-10-2011, 16:53
Some people do repair things yes, the problem is finding a competant engineer who won't charge you £50 or more just to look at it :doh: It'd probably have the complete SMPS changed anyway if that is definately what the problem is, rather than a repair to it.

You might find a secondhand replacement on ebay though, i see quite a lot of TV SMPS on there as well as other parts of flat screen TVs as spares..

twelvebears
05-10-2011, 17:09
OK, encouragingly, I've found several local companies that seem to offer reasonably priced repair services - certainly much less than a new TV and frankly, an damn sight more environmentally friendly than chucking it away.

Excellent

Reid Malenfant
05-10-2011, 17:17
You know it might be as simple as a fuse thinking about it :eyebrows: I should imagine that the circuitry controlling the standby has it's own PSU & this is likely to be powered by a small transformer & PSU of it's own. It's quite possible that the fuse supplying the main PSU is open circuit, though why this should be so isn't obviously apparent...

Good luck getting it sorted :)