PDA

View Full Version : Is used vinyl quality getting worse ?

Audioman
04-10-2011, 14:22
I haven't bought a satisfactory used vinyl copy form Ebay for most of this year. Last was unplayable Tangerine Dream Rubicon. At least the seller gave a full refund without hesitation. Do members find quality of used vinyl from whatever source is getting worse ? Have collectors (including myself) exhausted the bank of quality vinyl at sensible prices?

colinB
04-10-2011, 15:23
I have had some goodies recently, first press Lieg and Leif for £30 in vg condition but 80s stuff always seems to be poor condition with skips although they only cost me a couple of quid.
I think in future i will be more careful with sellers. Some go state condition according to actual playability and not just surface condition.

Audioman
04-10-2011, 15:44
I have had some goodies recently, first press Lieg and Leif for £30 in vg condition but 80s stuff always seems to be poor condition with skips although they only cost me a couple of quid.
I think in future i will be more careful with sellers. Some go state condition according to actual playability and not just surface condition.

Trouble is £30 is a lot unless near mint. Used to be plenty quality stuff at under £10. I think 80's vinyl is less durable due to lighter weight but it appears most people were still using groove grinders. No wonder the masses lapped up CD and then I pods.

Haselsh1
06-10-2011, 07:39
I've recently bought all of the Phil Collins related Brand X back catalogue on used vinyl and the quality has been excellent. OK so I have bought from record fairs and not ebay but I am well pleased with what I have got.