PDA

View Full Version : Amp for Ruark Sceptre's?

Ski
04-10-2011, 12:59
Hi all,

I have recently bought a pair of Ruark Sceptre's and am now on the hunt for a bargaintastic amp to go with them.
My budget would be £200 so would be looking at secondhand.
One issue is that I dont seem to be able to let go of tone controls:stalks:
I have a T amp that I use now and again but always wish it had tone controls.

current setup is Squeezebox classic, Beresford caiman gatorized, Arcam alpha 2 and the Ruark's.

Music wise mainly older rock/folk

Any suggestions welcome:)

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2011, 21:52
Hi Rod,
I suggested this amp (http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1063) to another member a little while ago, but it didn't seem to do it for him. Maybe it'll fit the bill for you. It's a bit of a rarity at a bargain price. It's being sold by a Trade Member of Aos (whom many of us will vouch for as a proper gent).

Someone needs to snap this up quick!

Ski
05-10-2011, 09:31
Thanks for that,

It looks very solid! If I had a rack I would go for it, but the unit we have for the tv etc has lowish shelving.
dilema's... I could go for it and get the grump treatment for a while.. hmm

How do you think this would rate against an Arcam Alpha 9? (the alpha would fit in the shelving)

Cheers

The Grand Wazoo
05-10-2011, 17:23
Sorry, I don't really know the Arcam amps well enough to say. But your 'solid' description would be correct! Put it this way, if I was an Arcam Alpha 9, I wouldn't want that Pioneer falling on me!

Have you tried Googling it?

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/a-717-e.html

0IttcLqNH5A

Ski
08-10-2011, 17:58
Well it was off to the audio jumble tomorrow, so I decided to buy it :)

Now I am going to have to get a rack to fit it!
Cant wait to hear it. Thanks for pointing it out:cool:

The Grand Wazoo
08-10-2011, 18:03
I think you got a bargain there. Let us know what you think when you get it installed.

Ski
27-10-2011, 18:18
Late reply but!!

Wow!!
Way better than my Arcam :stalks:
No idea how to describe it but the definition is fantastic. The amp is not the UK version as it has power outputs on the back.
It has tamed the sceptre's treble but given them more clarity and the bass is well defined.

Very happy!!

Thanks for letting me know about it.

The Grand Wazoo
27-10-2011, 18:35
You're very welcome Rod - it's great to help folks out once in a while.
Now we need to see some pictures of your treasure! Have you got a rack sorted for it?