PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Kan II stand top spikes

worrasf
02-10-2011, 17:21
Just resurrected my wonderful Ruark Epilogues and Linn Kan II stands but have mislaid the screw in top spikes for the stands - just got the threaded allen bolts holding the top plate down.

So looking to find a set of 8 top plate screw in spikes - I think they are M6 thread.

Steve

Reid Malenfant
02-10-2011, 17:36
Stephen, there are bucket loads on ebay though top plate spikes might be a bit shorter?

speaker spikes (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=speaker+spikes+&_sacat=0&_odkw=speaker+spikes+8&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313)

Hope you find your item ;)

YNWaN
02-10-2011, 17:39
My memory of the Kan II stand is that the bolts that attached the top plate to the legs were also the top spikes - the spike was machined into the head of the bolt.

Reid Malenfant
02-10-2011, 17:43
Ah, might be a bit more problematic then :doh:

However, if the thread on the spike was a decent length then a nut could lock it all together & you'd still have a spike to sit the speaker on - i think :scratch:

;)

webby
02-10-2011, 17:55
No.5 on this page: http://www.qtasystems.co.uk/spike_kits.htm ?

I think I have some myself from my old Kan stands but I'd rather keep hold of 'em in case I sell the stands, which I'm likely to do.

Rare Bird
02-10-2011, 18:05
If it were me i'd countersink the top plate & fit c/sun allen bolts..Tiny self adhesive rubber feet on the top plate for the speaker to sit on..All those top spikes are good for is damaging your cabs imho

All you need is someone with a pillar drill for the c/sinking.

Dingdong
02-10-2011, 18:11
I might be able to help. I've got a pair of Index stands with top spikes and I'd prefer them spikeless. I'll go and have a look and measure in a minute and get back to you.

Ignore that. I've just checked and the stands only have 3 spikes each. Ah well.

The Grand Wazoo
02-10-2011, 18:31
I have some Kan top plate spikes but I'm afraid I use them. However, for info they look like this:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5707/dscf3698.jpg

webby
02-10-2011, 18:31
I might be able to help. I've got a pair of Index stands with top spikes and I'd prefer them spikeless. I'll go and have a look and measure in a minute and get back to you.

Ignore that. I've just checked and the stands only have 3 spikes each. Ah well.

Want some Index speakers to go with those stands?

Dingdong
02-10-2011, 18:42
Got more than enough speakers, thanks. Would you like a pair of stands to go with your speakers?

webby
02-10-2011, 18:45
Got more than enough speakers, thanks. Would you like a pair of stands to go with your speakers?

No, I have plenty of stands thanks.

Pleasure not doing business with you Sir :)

Reid Malenfant
02-10-2011, 18:46
I have some Kan top plate spikes but I'm afraid I use them. However, for info they look like this:

I guess i was correct then with my earlier post :) Spikes with a reasonable length M6 thread & the locknut will bolt it all up tight ;)

The Grand Wazoo
02-10-2011, 18:48
No, that's not a lock nut - it's all one piece.
In those days, mate, you used a spanner with a length of 8 foot Linn approved pipe to 'nip up' yer threaded ironmongery! No lock nuts required.

worrasf
02-10-2011, 18:55
No.5 on this page: http://www.qtasystems.co.uk/spike_kits.htm ?

Excellent - just the job - have placed my order

Muchos gracias amigo :)
Steve

Reid Malenfant
02-10-2011, 18:58
No, that's not a lock nut - it's all one piece.
In those days, mate, you used a spanner with a length of 8 foot Linn approved pipe to 'nip up' yer threaded ironmongery! No lock nuts required.
:lol: I never said that the pic you posted was not a one piece thing Chris, but i'm sure you'll agree that a threaded spike with lock nut would do just as well at the end of the day. May be a tad more fiddly to setup though ;)

Anyway, it appears Stephen is apparently sorted :)

webby
02-10-2011, 18:59
Excellent - just the job - have placed my order

Muchos gracias amigo :)
Steve

You're most welcome Steve.

worrasf
02-10-2011, 19:04

Yep that be him - even got the rounded corners after the Ivor T torque wrench nipped him down a wee bit :)

Steve

DSJR
03-10-2011, 08:15
Just resurrected my wonderful Ruark Epilogues and Linn Kan II stands but have mislaid the screw in top spikes for the stands - just got the threaded allen bolts holding the top plate down.

So looking to find a set of 8 top plate screw in spikes - I think they are M6 thread.

Steve

My own view is that top spikes are the work of the devil and, rather than improve sound (they don't IMO), they damage any speakers that are sat on them... The number of totally ruined speaker cabs I've seen....

Get some small "bump-on" style feet, which is what we ended up using at home and in the shop(s). RS part number - 248 451

OK, I'm biased, but some speakers I've just swapped my N5's for (and which came with strict recommendations to use blu-tak), have little indents underneath where top spikes have been at them :(

Dingdong
03-10-2011, 08:41
Balls. Of Blu-tak that is. Works for me. Small balls, though.

DSJR
03-10-2011, 08:47
Blu-tak can get into some open-grain finishes and is all but impossible to remove. use with care and I agree ;)

Dingdong
03-10-2011, 08:52
Blu-tak is very good at removing blu-tak. Use a new soft ball of it. Sounds a bit daft but it works.

worrasf
03-10-2011, 12:32
My own view is that top spikes are the work of the devil and, rather than improve sound (they don't IMO), they damage any speakers that are sat on them... The number of totally ruined speaker cabs I've seen....

Get some small "bump-on" style feet, which is what we ended up using at home and in the shop(s). RS part number - 248 451

OK, I'm biased, but some speakers I've just swapped my N5's for (and which came with strict recommendations to use blu-tak), have little indents underneath where top spikes have been at them :(

Mmm! strokes-for-folks I suspect here as is so often the case - a one-size-fits-all recommendation won't do apart from the bit about holes in the cabinets and then it depends on how rough they are placed on them. My Ruarks were always on spikes and there are just 4 tiny holes in the bases where they rested on them.

Memory is a wonderful and oh so fallible thing but I know (?) when I was using my Linn Kans they did not come alive until they were placed on Kan stands with top spikes and with their little rubber dome feet removed.

I'll do an A/B/C demo (spikes/bluetak/sorbothane feet) with the Ruark when the spikes arrive. No doubt that the sorbothane feet sound "better" than the bluetak but there is too much "wobble" for my liking - it's probably not in the resonance frequency range of the cabinets but nonetheless it bothers me (unless they prove to sound better than the spikes that is :scratch:)

Steve

webby
03-10-2011, 13:02
I'm sure some folks put a small coin under the floor spikes. Would this work between speaker and top spikes?

How about speaker>blu tak>coin>spike? :)

Rare Bird
03-10-2011, 13:04

Get some small "bump-on" style feet, which is what we ended up using at home and in the shop(s).

I love it when people don't read previous posts :lol: (Post #6)

YNWaN
03-10-2011, 13:44
I would recommend the use of top spikes.

worrasf
05-10-2011, 17:57
So the spikes arrived today from QTA thanks for the suggestion Lee (Webby) and there is no doubt the Ruark's are night and day better with them.
Mid range is cleaner and bass is taught and less flabby than with bluetak or the sorbothane feet - just as I remembered :)

Steve

Reid Malenfant
05-10-2011, 18:17
Paired stands? :scratch: Never seen that before, but a decent idea if i do say so myself. Man those stands have a much bigger floor spread than at the top of the stand, another good thing me thinks - very nice indeed ;)

Glad you are sorted & happy Stephen :cool:

worrasf
05-10-2011, 19:19
Paired stands? :scratch: Never seen that before, but a decent idea if i do say so myself. Man those stands have a much bigger floor spread than at the top of the stand, another good thing me thinks - very nice indeed ;)

Thanks Mark

They are Pucker Linn Kan II stands but also used for Sara's

Had them for yonks in the loft - would survive a nuclear attack
:laser:

Steve

YNWaN
05-10-2011, 19:45

They aren't paired as such, they have been turned through 90 degrees to better fit the speakers.
--------------------
The proper Sara stand looked like the Kan stand but was shorter and had a bigger top plate - I don't remember top spikes either.

Reid Malenfant
05-10-2011, 19:53
They aren't paired as such, they have been turned through 90 degrees to better fit the speakers.
Ah, that makes a tad more sense but in all honesty i can't remember ever seeing non symmetrical stands (except for top plates) previously ;)

Perhaps i have led a sheltered life :lol: Cheers for the input Mark.

webby
05-10-2011, 20:05
So the spikes arrived today from QTA thanks for the suggestion Lee (Webby) and there is no doubt the Ruark's are night and day better with them.
Mid range is cleaner and bass is taught and less flabby than with bluetak or the sorbothane feet - just as I remembered :)

Steve

Glad they worked out Steve. I had my stands turned that way cos they fitted the floorspace better. Are yours filled with anything?

worrasf
05-10-2011, 20:10
Are yours filled with anything?

No Lee, they are virgin :) Mind you they are pretty darn heavy as they are.

I have an Atacama rack and have filled that with Atabites and I suspect they would pack into the bases of the Kan stands very well.

Steve

webby
05-10-2011, 21:16
Mine werent filled either. I actually use a pair of atacamas (the se24's I think) now since picking them up for £11 already filled with lots of small bags of sand!

YNWaN
05-10-2011, 21:56
Ah, that makes a tad more sense but in all honesty i can't remember ever seeing non symmetrical stands (except for top plates) previously ;)

Perhaps i have led a sheltered life :lol: Cheers for the input Mark.

Funnily enough, my stands aren't symmetrical either (not Linn stands). The Kan and Sara stands were made that way so that you could get them close to the wall.

Reid Malenfant
05-10-2011, 22:00
Nice one Mark, thanks for once again clearing things up :) It does make a lot of sense, but all i have ever seen are the symetrical variety except for the top plate, speaker dependant ;)