PDA

View Full Version : Garrard 4HF - how much is it worth?

Richardl
02-10-2011, 15:18
I've got a Garrard 4HF turntable I've had knocking about the house for ages, The turntable doesn't seem to work, but it's in excellent condition for it's age. The mechanism and the parts underneath seem in excellent condition, but some of the wiring seems a bit loose, I'm sure it's just a badly connected wire stopping it from working.
It also has a Shure N75-3 cartridge and a crappy thin wooden plinth which would be handy for someone as a template.

I thought I'd ask you lot, as you seem to be experts on vintage turntables.

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/richardl10/Garrard%204HF/

DSJR
02-10-2011, 16:48
Gawd, and I chucked one of these out twenty odd years ago because the speed pot/rheostat crumbled away in storage with no hope of replacing it at the time :(

The N75-3 is the 78 stylus I believe, but a 6S stylus should work in that arm if all is well with it - I think the arm can track down t 3g with perfect safety and probably lower if all the linkages are free and fettled correctly.

I think these decks usually fetch around a ton or so these days. Ones asking for more tend to hang around, but you may be lucky as the mat looks intact.

Richardl
02-10-2011, 17:13
I think if I wanted to make more money, I'd take it to bits and sell them, but I couldn't do that, I really like the look of it, it's quite a cute looking TT, it would be a shame to butcher it.

Thanks for the information.

Beobloke
03-10-2011, 11:52
I think £100 is about right if you can persuade it to work. Don't be fooled by those who'll tell you it's "just a 301 underneath" - it isn't but it's quite nice for all that.

Shame it's not in the original "wedding cake" plinth - that can double its value if you're lucky!