PDA

View Full Version : The Edingdale Loudspeaker

Ali Tait
30-09-2011, 21:42
Last weekend I drove down to see Nick so we could get the prototype dac on his scope. After this, Nick mentioned he was going to see Colin Topps to take some measurements with his calibrated mic of some new speakers Colin has been working on, so since it was on the way back for me, I tagged along. What I heard was quite something.

The premise of this design was to produce something quite special using some modestly priced drivers, namely the Mark Audio Tweeter #3 and Woofer #6, which Colin had previously used in a stand-mounted speaker, now called the Edale.

Basically, Colin has succeeded I think. These speakers really are something IMHO, with HUGE bass that is in no way overblown, but very nicely detailed. The real stand out for me though was the midrange. Just so clean and clear, incredibly so given the low cost of the drivers. The only caveat for me was the tweeters, which were a little sibilant on some tracks. After some discussion, the option of a ribbon tweeter was mooted. Colin then remembered that Monocor did some ribbons at a reasonable price, and given he has a trade account with them, ordered a couple of pairs to experiment with. So far they seem to be a success. Have a look at the thread on Audio-Talk on these speakers here-

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3578&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Anyone looking to spend 1 - 2k on speakers needs to hear these, they really are astonishingly good. They certainly far surpass anything commercial I've heard at this level.

I realise all this sounds like a review, but I'm only giving my impressions of what I heard. I have nothing to gain, and no agenda. I just would like folk to hear for themselves how good these speakers are. Have a look at the thread and see what you think. They really are that good. Seriously.

Ali Tait
30-09-2011, 21:58
Oh yes, something I forgot to mention, this speaker is 93-94dB with a very easy 8 ohm load, which was also one of the criteria. Who wouldn't want a speaker with specs like that?

When I heard it, it was driven to huge levels with a 4-5 watt 300b SET amp, and I mean HUGE levels, more than most sane folk would want.

Macca
01-10-2011, 11:15
They look very interesting.

Marco
01-10-2011, 11:36
Indeed - another quality project from Toppsy! Ali, do you know roughly how much he's intending on selling them for? :)

Marco.

Toppsy
02-10-2011, 08:26
Marco Wrote
Indeed - another quality project from Toppsy

Thanks for the compliment Marco. And thanks to Ali for the review and posting the link to the build thread.

I had intended posting these up myself once they were finished and looking asplender in a nice new overcoat of veneer.

I do think these speakers are special for a 2-way (what I call) conventional box speaker. They have a midrange to die for that I have only ever heard before on my Quad Electrostatics, but a bass that should satisfy the 15" driver OB boys and with the 1" silk dome tweeter now swapped out for the ribbons a HF that adds sparkle and zest to the overall soundstage. And they image like the best.

Marco also wrote
Ali, do you know roughly how much he's intending on selling them for?

Well I'm hoping to offer these complete and fully veneered in standard type real wood veneer for £975. The price may vary slightly depending what veneer. They will be bespoke made-to-order, using CNC cut panels and finished to individual customer requirements. I can also offer full front mounted grills for those that do not like to see the exposed drivers on the front baffle. I'll post up photos of the grills when I get around to finishing the bare ply speakers.

For those that like such things the general specs for the speakers are:

Driver compliment: 4 x Mark Audio Woofer #6 (or CSS EL166) + Monacor RBT-95 Ribbon Tweeter.

Efficency 93 - 94dB with nominal 8-ohm load tuned to around 35Hz.

Overall size: 1100mm tall x 235mm wide x 415mm deep. The bases add a little to the O/A width and depth and spikes add a little to the O/A height.

Basic Contruction: CNC cut 18mm Baltic Birch Ply.

Anyone wanting to come and listen to these can contact me through the forum.

Here's a couple photos how they look now with the ribbons. Please note the speakers are still in there underwear of the bare unfinished Baltic Birch Ply.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/EDINGDALE08.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/EDINGDALE09.JPG

John
02-10-2011, 08:53
Hi Colin
Great job seems like you managed to create a real bargin I hope you get some good sales from this project
John

Toppsy
02-10-2011, 09:03
Great job seems like you managed to create a real bargin I hope you get some good sales from this project

Thanks John.

I should have added to my posting above that I could replace the round ribbon with the SQ one for those that prefer that look. ie:

http://monacor.co.uk/typo3temp/GB/0d8e342708.png

Ali Tait
02-10-2011, 11:52
Just to add, at that price I've not heard anything commercial that comes anywhere near these.

Stratmangler
02-10-2011, 13:35
Just to add, at that price I've not heard anything commercial that comes anywhere near these.

I agree.

I went round Wednesday and Thursday evenings to listen to some tweaking around with the tweeters, and the ribbon integrates superbly with the mid/bass drivers.

synsei
02-10-2011, 16:27
I like these a lot Colin, even without any veneer. If I can pull off a couple of deals over the next couple of months I may well be contacting you to arrange a listen sometime after Christmas with a view to buy... ;)

vinylspinner
02-10-2011, 21:24
Hi Colin,

I too would be interested in hearing these with a view to buying, what would they cost without the veneer finish?

I would be looking to get my pair sprayed piano black (I know a man who can)

Nigel

Toppsy
03-10-2011, 07:39
synsei wrote
I like these a lot Colin, even without any veneer. If I can pull off a couple of deals over the next couple of months I may well be contacting you to arrange a listen sometime after Christmas with a view to buy... ;)

Hope the deals go through, hey ;) Look forward to hearing from you in the new year. You can contact me through this forum or the Audio-Talk forum pages.
I am also hoping to bring these to the Scalford 2012 where I shall be sharing a room with NickG and one other.

vinylspinner wrote
Hi Colin,

I too would be interested in hearing these with a view to buying, what would they cost without the veneer finish?

I would be looking to get my pair sprayed piano black (I know a man who can)

Nigel, you have mail.

Toppsy
06-10-2011, 07:20
Chris (Stratmangler) came over last night with his NAD SS amp to try out on the Edingdale speakers.

Here's what he posted on the Audio-Talk thread:

Not long since returned from Colin's with my amp in hand, and I've had a thoroughly entertaining evening.

The Edingdales sound luvverly hanging off the back of 50W per channel of solid state muscle.
Most astonishing was the degree of low end clout and detail these speakers can supply (who hid that sub in the corner of the room ?).
Yet the low end was never once overblown, and certainly never dominated proceedings.

Sibilance is also not an issue with the ribbon tweeters installed - if you can hear it now it's because it's in the recording, and not because the tweeters are highlighting it, which was the case with the MA tweeter.
Not that I'm knocking the MA tweeter, as it works superbly well as a supertweeter with the FH3, it's just that it didn't quite work properly in this application.
The ribbon on the other hand is spot on.

Nice one !

So I'm happy that these speakers work perfectly well integrated with either valve and SS amps. Though my personal favourite with these speakers is a pair of 5W 300b SET monoblocs with fully regulated power supplies. One of NickG designs.

Stratmangler
06-10-2011, 08:11
To clarify my comments about the bass - if it's there in the recording you'll hear it, if it's not then you won't.
There's no cabinet colouration, or "boofiness" (new word for the dictionary ?) adding to the proceedings. The box certainly doesn't sing along in sympathy.

I learned last nite that Joanne Shaw Taylor's bassist has a wicked sense of counterpoint tune playing, something I'd not picked up on before.

The low bass on "Time" from Floyd's DSOTM (the bit before the drums power in with the rest of the band) is powerful and solid, as in brick outhouse solid. This elicited a comment from me along the lines of "Fookin'ell".

But best of all the bass was not overblown.

I really, really, really like these speakers :)

Toppsy
11-10-2011, 12:35
Now that I am happy with the overall sound of these speakers and as I had some spare time waiting to get some ply CNC cut for other builds, over this last weekend and yesterday, I have got around to veneering one the cabinets. After an overnight drying of the Finishing Oil during my luch break today I reinstalled the drivers into this finished cabinet. As it's still raining here in Lancashire (has been non-stop these last 3-days :( ) the only good light for taking photos without flash is in my conservatory/dining room.

So here's some photos. Veneer is American Cherry with a single coat of Liberon Finishing Oil. The rerar view shows the inlay speaker binding post tray and the adjustable L-pad attenuator on the ribbon tweeter. For the eagle eyed amongst you you'll notice the ribbon tweeter is no longer round. I think the Sq. version this tweeter looks more 'upmarket- for want of a better word and is more flush with the front baffle. It has made no difference to the sound just looks better, to my eyes.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/EDINGDALE10.JPGhttp://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/EDINGDALE11.JPGhttp://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/EDINGDALE12.JPG

I'm not sure I'll get the other cabinet veneered and finished like this ready for my mini meet this weekend. Depends how well I get on with my other (paying) builds. Suffice to say they shall be fully finished for their first public outing to Audui-Talk Owston meet next month.

Stratmangler
11-10-2011, 12:47
Wahhhaaaay!!!
Looking luvverly, as per usual Colin.

synsei
11-10-2011, 13:39
I have now officially begun an Edingdale Fund Account. They look absolutely superb Colin... ;)

While we're at it sir, would you be willing to consider re-veneering my B&W DM2's for me? If so, I'd like a dark oak finish please. I shall of course supply you with the dimensions if you are able to accept the job so you can furnish me with a rough quote. PM me if you are interested please ;)

RochaCullen
11-10-2011, 16:20
Wow... they are stunning.

vinylspinner
11-10-2011, 16:45
Hi Colin,

I'm placing my order now :)

Nigel

Ali Tait
11-10-2011, 16:50
Believe me, these speakers sound even better than they look.

clive7164
11-10-2011, 20:50
Hi Colin,
have you got the dates and details for the Owston meet,I missed it last year but want to attend this time

Clive

Toppsy
11-10-2011, 20:53
Clive,
It's 19/20 November.
Check out: http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3630

Though I haven't registered my intent on the thread I shall be attending with the Edingdale speakers.

Alex_UK
12-10-2011, 21:51
Looks fab, Colin. :)

Toppsy
13-10-2011, 12:12
It's been light drizzle rain in Rossendale almost non stop since Saturday Night :eek: So with the weather forecast for Thursday (today) and Friday up our way saying it was to be DRY with light winds, I worked till the wee small hours last night to get the Edingdale speakers finished for this weekend mini bash my place. I need to get lots of wood cut/routed and some speakers built. This I have been doing since 8 o'clock this morning. So I'm on a well earned lunch break and thought I'd download and post up a photo of them either side my fireplace in my listening room. Again the photo don't do justice and it was late.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/EDINGDALE13.JPG

Must dash whilst the sun shines. Wood to cut, holes to route..................

Vinyleyes
13-10-2011, 14:08
synsei wrote

Hope the deals go through, hey ;) Look forward to hearing from you in the new year. You can contact me through this forum or the Audio-Talk forum pages.
I am also hoping to bring these to the Scalford 2012 where I shall be sharing a room with NickG and one other.

vinylspinner wrote

Nigel, you have mail.

I look forward to hearing these at Scalford Colin ... I hope you can get them there ... If they can indeed get towards 15" driver bass levels then I would be very interested indeed .. particularly if you can veneer them to look like your lovely fireplace ......... :)

MCRU
21-12-2011, 22:28
Looks like I have found what I have been searching for for months!

I will be visiting you soon, Rossendale, do I need a passport for there? :lol:

Val33
21-12-2011, 23:47
Me too. They look just about perfect for my Leak's :)

Colin, you have mail!

Val

Toppsy
22-12-2011, 09:04
David (Mains Cables R Us),
You have mail. I look forward to meeting up first wek in January. No passport is need to visit Lancashire though border control may frisk you!:eyebrows:

Val (Val33),
you too have mail.
Portsmouth is indeed a trek but I'm sure we can find a way for you to listen to the speakers at home!
I shall be going down to Bristol early in the new year for some guys down their to review the speakers. Could be an oppostunity for you to join the party?

Anyway guys, thanks for your interest in the speakers and lets hope you fall in love in the sound. As ever these are bespoke builds so within reason any finish you want or minor asthetic changes can be made to suit. Full face Grilles are also an option.

Rare Bird
22-12-2011, 12:54
Way way too big for our place, Whats the small 2 way standmounters you created Colin & how do they stand up to these big fellas minus the Bass? Big air moving Bass is not my thang see.

:sofa:

Toppsy
22-12-2011, 17:37
Andre,
they take up no more floorspace than the EDALE standmounts and are both around the same O/A height!

The Edingdales are 1100mm tall x 235mm wide x 415mm deep.

The Edales are 490mm high x 235mm wide x 350mm deep. And on the bespoke stands are 1050mm tall.

Though they both have the same signature sound the midrange clarity from the Edingdales is far more detailed and has better bass clout and bass detail. What you'd expect really. Afterall the midwoofers in the Edingdales are doing a quarter of the work the single midwoofer in the Edales is doing. This equates to a quarter the distortion greater efficiency which results in a cleaner sound with a little more detail in the music coming through. having said that the smaller Edales are still very good speakers that will outperform many a commercial standmount speaker up to £1K.

If you're interested I can demo both pairs at my place side by side and you and as an option, if you still prefer to go for the smaller Edales I can offer these with the ribbon tweeters for very little extra money.

To give perspective to size check out the photo below:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/EDINGDALE14.JPG

The guy in the photo is a mate from up Scotland who's wife also had the impression these were hugh speakers. This photo put her mind to rest.

Toppsy
22-12-2011, 17:44
Andre,
here's a couple of photos of the Edale speakers:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/P5230293.JPGhttp://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/P5230294.JPG

Send me a pm via the forum if you want to know more.

Toppsy
24-01-2012, 14:56
Just thought I'd post up a couple of photos of the latest build of Edingdale speakers.

These are skinned in Blue/Grey Birdseye Maple. This comes pre factory stained and so the colour is consistant and goes right through the veneer. The veneer has a natural sheen to it and looks in some ways similar to grey slate/marble. Very nice :)

The veneer in the photos is just sanded ready for the finishes and the drivers are simply placed on the cut-outs. Finish shall be clear acrylic satin varnish that takes nothing away from the natural look of the raw veneer.

The photos don't do justice really but then I'm no David Bailey with the camera and the lighting today is very poor with overcast skies and a light drizzle. But for those that want a natural wood finish without the 'wood' look then this veneer may just be what you are looking for. Available from Nantwich veneers, but be warned. It ain't cheap!

Anyway onwards and up I've got the second speaker to finish veneering and then another pair of speakers to finish off the build but these in oiled American White Oak. No peace for the wicked, hey ;)

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/GREY01.JPG

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/GREY02.JPG

Marco
24-01-2012, 15:08
Awesome stuff, Colin - looks fab! Your work has my greatest respect :)

Marco.

Toppsy
24-01-2012, 15:18
Thanks for the compliment Marco. :)

These very speakers will likely be the ones I'll be bringing to the Scalford do next month in the room I'm sharing with Nick Gorham. As long as I don't fu** up on the finishes, hey. :doh:
Otherwise it'll be my pair in American Cherry veneer that you can see lurking in the background of one the photos.

Reid Malenfant
24-01-2012, 15:27
Wow, love that finish :stalks: :stalks: :stalks:

Then again I'm kind of prejudiced as mine are a similar colour, but in no way wood veneer :scratch:

Superb stuff :) 6046

aquapiranha
28-01-2012, 21:54
Hi Colin. The grey finish looks bloody brilliant! Very surreal looking almost as if you have photoshopped the colour out of them, but in a good way. Do you mind me asking where you got that veneer from, I have never seen it before.

Thanks, Steve.

keiths
28-01-2012, 22:00
Do you mind me asking where you got that veneer from, I have never seen it before.

Available from Nantwich veneers, but be warned. It ain't cheap!

http://www.nantwichveneers.com/

aquapiranha
29-01-2012, 14:29
Thanks! :)

Cotlake
01-03-2012, 23:24
Having heard the rather compromised sound of Toppsy's 'Edingdales' at the last Owston, I nevertheless recognised the potential these speakers would have within a domestic listening environment. Colin (Toppsy) and I agreed he would travel south with his speakers so that some of us could sample them in a minifest home situation. We did this last weekend.

Initially, before reaching Bristol, he stopped off at Nick's (NickB) place where we compared the Edingdales to Nick's WD25T with very expensive Seas Millennium tweeters. In comparison, the 'Edingdales' produced a far more comprehensive sound that extended properly through the whole frequency range. In comparison with the WD25T, they had fuller bass extension and were much more revealing in the lower frequency register. The WD25T simply could not do what the 'Edingdales' could. It is worth noting that the WD25T's have been upgraded with the most expensive Clarity Caps in the crossover.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/Dingsking/IMG_2754a.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/Dingsking/IMG_2756a.jpg

Colin stayed with us in Bristol over the weekend. Initially we listened to my WAD KLS3's and Colin acknowledged they presented a very respectable sound. We then swopped in his 'Edingdales' and wow, what a difference! Upper treble was sweeter, midrange was the best I have ever heard, and bass was controlled yet fully extended. I just loved the overall presentation of the sound from these 'Edingdales'.

That was the Friday evening. On Saturday, friends joined in and all fully appreciated the quality of the 'Edingdales'. Pictures below are not too good owing to sunlight in the room at the time.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/Dingsking/IMG_2762a.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/Dingsking/IMG_2761a.jpg

All these friends of mine have very good audio ears and we all agreed that the 'Edingdales' were superb speakers. High frequency sounds were very evident but tuneful and fully extended. The midrange sound was probably the best I have ever heard (Quad panels excepted) particularly with regard to vocals. Both male and female voices seemed almost live, immediate, totally open and completely in a space of their own. I completely loved this aspect of the 'Edingdale' performance. Actually, overall, the sound presentation had all instruments/voices in there own space. Bass response was impressive, going as low as you can in a normal sized living room but remaining extended, revealing and tight. On certain recordings, you can properly feel the rumble. In particular, the 'Edingdales' being a bass reflex design did not reveal any room node frequency hump that is normally typical in an averaged sized living room. I've worked my pants off to eliminate this problem with KLS3 but have never reached total satisfaction. In contrast, the 'Edingdales' showed no sign of this problem.

To summarize, the 'Edingdales' are very very special. I could not want for a better speaker in my system in my listening room. As a result of this minifest, three of us are trying to persuade Colin to make a pair of 'Edingdales' for us. That is a 50% positive ask commitment from those who came to the fest. I hope he can find a way to do this.

If you want to hear the 'Edingdales' for yourself, visit room 76 on the 1st floor at the Scalford Hall Show on Sunday. See you there :D

Toppsy
02-03-2012, 08:35
Wow Greg, thanks for the very favourable and positive review. Glad they went down very well at our minifest.:o

To summarize, the 'Edingdales' are very very special. I could not want for a better speaker in my system in my listening room. As a result of this minifest, three of us are trying to persuade Colin to make a pair of 'Edingdales' for us. That is a 50% positive ask commitment from those who came to the fest. I hope he can find a way to do this.

OK guys I'm persuaded. I'll get on to CSS in Canada and order 16-pair of the midwoofer drivers. That'll give me a spare set should anyone else be so enthused they want me to build them a pair. I can hardly refuse the 3 who have expressed and interest having already built the Grey Birdseye Maple pair for David Brooks and a Oak veneered pair for Val Walker (Val33).

I'll get some ply CNC cut next week and order the other parts. We'll have a chat about this on Sunday at Scalford, hey Greg ;)

DSJR
02-03-2012, 10:12
That pic of the man-club enjoying hifi reminds me of the wonderful days at Jimmy's place, doing exactly the same thing :)

Cotlake
05-03-2012, 00:01
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/Dingsking/IMG_2786a.jpg

Colin's lovely Edingdale speakers doing the business at today's HiFiWigwam.com organised 'users' (no traders) show at Scalford Hall, near Melton Mowbray, Leics.

Amplification was Nick_G designed and built 300b monoblocks using TJ Meshplate 300b's. Preamp is Nick_G designed and built unity gain pre feeding a pair of Silk TVC's, and of course, his highly regarded Moving Coil Phono Stage. TT, cables and equipment stand were supplied by David Brooks.

Considering the room constraints, it was one of the best sounds at the show and IMHO, Colin's Edingdale's really are quite special!

sq225917
05-03-2012, 08:02
I was really impressed with Nick and Colin's room, I've heard the pre and phono before so it was interesting to hear them All together. The cabinetry quality was really first rate, a far cry from the over the top spray lacquer seen elsewhere. Thanks to nick for the loan of a 0.1uf capacitor for my turntable psu. I owe you a drink Nick.

MCRU
05-03-2012, 10:26
Nice to put a face to a name Simon, glad you liked the gear. There were 2 outstanding comments from a lot of visitors, some said the Denon 103 should not sound that good (which I think was due to the NG phono stage which we loaded to match the 103) and the other was the Squeezebox Touch which we used throughout the day without an external DAC thus using the Touch's own internal DAC, visitors could not believe the internal DAC sounded so good and again that was due to Nick's wizardry with the Touch PSU.

I looked for Simon's room but they had moved him so was annoyed I never got to listen to his TT

sq225917
05-03-2012, 12:20
We ended up in 86, next door to Steven Toy. Feel free to pop over for a listen some time if you like. Sheffield is close enough and I work from home.

Clive
05-03-2012, 13:29
It would be great if the show could accomodate cottage industry trade people, maybe anyone who's not VAT registered? I'm guessing Colin's speakers are in a grey area. It would be harsh to call them trade products.

sq225917
05-03-2012, 13:37
I'm sure you could discuss that with the event organizers. I know how James feels on the matter- so good luck with that ;-)

Clive
05-03-2012, 13:46
I'm sure you could discuss that with the event organizers. I know how James feels on the matter- so good luck with that ;-)
Ok, not much point flogging a dead horse...

YNWaN
05-03-2012, 17:15
Ok, not much point flogging a dead horse...

Well, your friend Vic had his deck and speakers at the show, Mains Cables R Us had their phonostage and associated bits, at least one other TT manufacturer had his design at the show (no doubt there are a couple of other examples) - so I think the 'cottage industry' did a fair job of being represented at the 'no trade' event. Personally, I think it should be absolutely no trade. If a trade member wishes to take part they should not show anything they make or sell. For example, Guy S of Puresound loaned his turntable to one of the rooms, but he doesn't make or sell the deck, arm or cartridge; he makes and sells amps and speakers, neither of which were at the show.

Clive
05-03-2012, 17:44
Well, your friend Vic had his deck and speakers at the show, Mains Cables R Us had their phonostage and associated bits, at least one other TT manufacturer had his design at the show (no doubt there are a couple of other examples) - so I think the 'cottage industry' did a fair job of being represented at the 'no trade' event. Personally, I think it should be absolutely no trade. If a trade member wishes to take part they should not show anything they make or sell. For example, Guy S of Puresound loaned his turntable to one of the rooms, but he doesn't make or sell the deck, arm or cartridge; he makes and sells amps and speakers, neither of which were at the show.
If the rules are no trade then that's what it should be. I couildn't attend due to family commitments, some pleasant, some not so. I thought the room was John's so I assumed the Salvation was his but I don't know for sure.

I think an off-shoot for the 'little guys' would be good though it would need to be seperated in some way. Seems like a moot point if there's no interest from the organisers.

Toppsy
05-03-2012, 18:33
With respect to 'Trader' label I am NOT a trader. I do not have web site or advertise direct. I don't sell on Ebay or any the other web based auction sites.

I don't do this fulltime. I am a DIY'er like you guys that build amps and speakers for my own use. I am by profession a Civil Engineer specialising in Water/Drainage Engineering.

Yes I have built speakers for other DIY'ers that have contacted me direct and asked me to build them some speakers as their woodworking skills are non existant and I have obliged. Wouldn't you if asked by a fellow forum member? And if so make a small profit your your skill? That is what I do.

I shared the room with NickG who is registered with Wigwam as Lurcher300b. Nick did email the event organiser and posted on the wigwam forum stating that both Nick and I had built gear for folk by request and though not traders if this broke any of the show rules we would rather back down and let the room go to someone else. No one responded to this email and thread posting. We did no hard sell at the show so not to contravene any the rules.

To suppliment my income I do have a MJK Licence to make flat pack kits of the Frugal Horn Mk3 speakers. Though I took these to the show I left them in my car and only brought them out late in the day, by a request from a couple of Londoners visiting the show who wanted dearly to listen to these speakers.

Toppsy
02-04-2012, 10:31
To add to my portfolio of builds here's a couple of photos of the latest speakers just before they go off to their new homes later today.

One pair is in crown cut American White Oak the other in crown cut Maple. Both have a oiled finish.

Both sets of speakers should take on a richer look and patina as the veneer starts to age and mature in the natural light.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/OAK.JPG

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/MAPLE.JPG

sq225917
02-04-2012, 17:54
If you give them at away at a loss you are a charity, if you sell them at a profit or charge for your time then you're a trader, IMHO. As such when I made and sold PSU's for the Young I took Wam trade status, since I no longer make them I'm not longer 'trade'. The fact that i made next to F-all on each one is neither here nor there in the eyes of the Wam.

I'm sure this will be clarified for next year. Hopefully the 'Wam line' on traders will 'flex' to accommodate those participants who do it ostensibly for the love, without wishing to subsidise the purchases of their potential clientele too greatly.

realysm42
02-04-2012, 19:13
I think we're detracting from an interesting thread here.

Besides, to assume that charities make products/provide services at a loss can be incorrect, they might just be a sh1t business :eyebrows:

And what if one breaks even, by fate or design, what are they then?

Reid Malenfant
02-04-2012, 19:25
If you give them at away at a loss you are a charity, if you sell them at a profit or charge for your time then you're a trader, IMHO

I think we're detracting from an interesting thread here.
I have a different take on things :) If you are advertising something then you obviously want to sell it...

Why you want to sell it is besides the point, but IMHO opinion it makes things trade. I mean you are not going to make a loss on stuff as I don't see too many truly altruistic people on here. At what do you price your time? Who is to say that you aren't going to make more than the day job (though this could be hard to believe :eyebrows:).

Selling stuff like Jerry (jandl100) does (as he goes through a good deal of stuff) at the same price he bought it at is about as good as it gets..

If you are not advertising anything then you certainly are not trade in any sense of the word. While I also build loudspeakers for myself & have been known to for others you won't see me putting up an add or price for a set of loudspeakers (unless they go into "private exhibitions"), in which case they are secondhand.

realysm42
02-04-2012, 19:46
You got any information on the speakers you made Mark, like some pictures and stories to accompany?

Reid Malenfant
02-04-2012, 19:52
Only the ones I'm listening to right now...

Reminds me, I must get some pics up before I change things yet again :eyebrows:

diyer
14-04-2012, 09:04
i know this is a risky 1st post but ,true DIY'ers share designs , thoughts and DO NOT make money YOU are a trader you state on other forums that you make speakers for other people in turn making a profit whether you directly advertise or not doesn't matter ,you indirectly advertise on forums for FREE which is not fair on the paid up dealers or the diy community that you gain free advise from .

this is not ment to detract from your very nice looking speakers its just that i don't agree with your ethics and i'm also very suprised the mods haven't picked up on the fact you are trade.

steve

synsei
14-04-2012, 09:42
I find this conversation distasteful and not in the spirit of AoS. There, I've said my piece... :doh:

Marco
14-04-2012, 10:55
Hi Steve,

i know this is a risky 1st post but ,true DIY'ers share designs , thoughts and DO NOT make money YOU are a trader you state on other forums that you make speakers for other people in turn making a profit whether you directly advertise or not doesn't matter ,you indirectly advertise on forums for FREE which is not fair on the paid up dealers or the diy community that you gain free advise from .

this is not ment to detract from your very nice looking speakers its just that i don't agree with your ethics and i'm also very suprised the mods haven't picked up on the fact you are trade.

You're absolutely right that it's a risky first post. I object to its tone and to the lack of consideration you've shown to this site, and to one of our respected members, stirring up trouble as soon as you've joined. We have a very low tolerance threshold here for that sort of behaviour.

There are a few DIYers in our community who occasionally build things for people and sell them to fellow members, often for no more than cost, plus labour, and Colin is one of them. That does not make them trade, in the true sense.

Now, as owner of this site, Colin has my full blessing to do what he's doing, so with respect, if you have any objection to that, take it up with him privately, or better still, go elsewhere and moan about it, as such contributions from you are not welcome here.

You should note that this matter is not up for debate, so if I read any argumentative replies from you on this subject, they will be removed with immediate effect. Therefore, accept what I've told you and leave it there, or it may also be you being removed.

I do hope that I've made myself clear!

Marco.

Dominic Harper
17-05-2012, 18:40
Dom and I have just had the pleasure of listening to these beautiful speakers. Colin, is still a DIYer and I hope I don't upset anyone by posting. Colin has kindly allowed us a few days to trial them as he knows the issues we have been having with speakers. Anyway, so far these are fantastic and I can only say that I am really happy with the sound. They are superb in the mid and control the bass with ease. I think we are going to go for the Zibrano finish.

Natalie;)

Ali Tait
17-05-2012, 20:03
Yes rather nice are they not? Almost electrostatic like mid, and the bass is the nicest I have heard from a box speaker.

NickB
17-05-2012, 20:08
Hi Dom/Nat

Told you they were good didn't I, really glad you like them could be the missing piece in your system!

Nick

Dominic Harper
17-05-2012, 20:15
Yes rather nice are they not? Almost electrostatic like mid, and the bass is the nicest I have heard from a box speaker.

I agree, they control the bass like no other speaker I have heard. I absolutely love them and if Colin thinks he is going to get these back, he has another thing coming :lol::lol:, only joking Clive whoops I mean Colin :lol::lol:.

For some reason today, I kept calling Colin 'Clive':doh:

Natalie;)

Dominic Harper
17-05-2012, 20:18
Hi Dom/Nat

Told you they were good didn't I, really glad you like them could be the missing piece in your system!

Nick

Ok Ok, you was right. They would have sounded even better if we had your Allnic cart in our arm. I don't think that Allnic sounds as good in your turntable as it would have done in ours :lol::lol::lol: Your whole system looks cool Nic and I loved the pics you sent.

Natalie;)

Ashmore
17-05-2012, 21:14
I'm picking mine up from owston next week. Really looking forward to hearing them.

MCRU
27-05-2012, 20:09
I'm picking mine up from owston next week. Really looking forward to hearing them.

You won't be dis-appointed :)

Val33
27-05-2012, 20:37
Just to add to what others are saying. I've had mine for a few months now and could not be happier with them.

The bass is fantastic, I'd love to measure how low they go, but I can feel it on the other side of the house, even at quite low volumes! I also think the treble is superb, extremely controlled, razor sharp but never harsh.

These are definitely long term keepers for me :)

Val

Ali Tait
27-05-2012, 21:07
I think they measure down to 25Hz.

Dominic Harper
27-05-2012, 21:20
I think they measure down to 25Hz.

I did ask Colin this question and he said the same as you Ali, 25Hz.

I can't wait to get ours :)

It was great meeting you and Nick by the way.

Natalie;)

Ali Tait
27-05-2012, 21:49
Yes, likewise, nice to put faces to names. :)

RichB
21-10-2013, 12:23
Does anyone know if this Colin chap is still making speakers and how one might get in touch with him?

Ali Tait
21-10-2013, 12:27
Yes he is indeed, he occasionally looks here, but I can give him a shout for you. PM your email address and I'll pass it along.

Ali Tait
21-10-2013, 12:28
BTW, one of our Owston do's is coming up, and there should be some of Colin's speakers there if you fancy a listen.

MCRU
21-10-2013, 17:26
BTW, one of our Owston do's is coming up, and there should be some of Colin's speakers there if you fancy a listen.

Hopefully a brand new design from Colin and Scott, fingers crossed!

RichB
21-10-2013, 18:54

Hi Ali, I'd love to hear some of Colin's speakers and owston isn't a million miles away so I might pop along. Is it by invitation or open to all? When is it happening?

Things seem to have turned a corner on the work front and I've long been promising myself something a bit special for my final destination speaker. The edingdales do look somewhat appealing.

Ali Tait
21-10-2013, 19:33
It's Sat/Sun 9/10th November. Open to all, the cost is shared amongst all attendees. Sat is usually a tenner, which includes a buffet lunch, and Sun is a fiver, no lunch.

MCRU
27-10-2013, 21:04
Its worth attending to see Ali's waistcoat.

Ali Tait
27-10-2013, 21:30
:ner: