PDA

View Full Version : Too many stickies!

aquapiranha
30-09-2011, 21:13
Is it just me or are there too many? Seems like I miss threads as I am scrolling all the time..

:confused:

Stratmangler
30-09-2011, 21:30
Is it just me or are there too many? Seems like I miss threads as I am scrolling all the time..

Good point should be made a sticky :eyebrows:

aquapiranha
30-09-2011, 21:32
Good point should be made a sticky :eyebrows:

I should have known that was coming :lol:

Joe
30-09-2011, 21:41

Yes, way too many. Lob 'em off!

Marco
01-10-2011, 08:16
Ok guys, as requested, some stickies have been unstuck. The remainder will be staying, as mostly they serve as an important information resource for popular discussion topics on AoS :)

Marco.

Joe
01-10-2011, 09:56
Ok guys, as requested, some stickies have been unstuck. The remainder will be staying, as mostly they serve as an important information resource for popular discussion topics on AoS :)

Marco.

Ta, though I'm not sure what resources are provided by the 'What's your website worth?' sticky.

The Vinyl Adventure
01-10-2011, 10:02
You ever thought of upgrading to vb4 suite Marco?
You could make articles out of useful stuff ...
Would certainly make more of your library etc

Marco
01-10-2011, 10:35
Ta, though I'm not sure what resources are provided by the 'What's your website worth?' sticky.

It's handy for me to check back on occasionally to see how my pension fund is progressing! ;)

Marco.

Marco
01-10-2011, 10:39
Hi Hamish,

You ever thought of upgrading to vb4 suite Marco?
You could make articles out of useful stuff ...
Would certainly make more of your library etc

Point taken, dude, but I absolutely hate the vB4 aesthetic template, and I believe that there are some 'bugs', unique to vB4, which I have no wish to address.

Nick's the man for that stuff, though, and I don't think he's much of a fan either....

How's little Connie doing? :)

Marco.

Beechwoods
01-10-2011, 10:59
I love what Hamish has done on his forum with v4 but I like what we have here. It is a major project to get v4 working and iron out the issues... And it's still young compared with v3, which we've got working pretty well here :)

The Vinyl Adventure
01-10-2011, 12:02
Shes good thanks Marco, cute as a button! She has a big head ... Out of 100 babies she would be bang on 50 in terms of her size, apart from her head - which is bigger than average, she would have the 75th biggest head!
It's has to be that way because of the massive brain she has been genetically passed by her daddy! ;)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSF2455.jpg

Vb4 does have it's problems, but what off the shelf software doesn't?
We are on 4.1.5 now
They have just introduced a new text editor that auto saves to stop people loosing posts after thy had been typing for ages and somthing goes wrong... Works great apart from on the iPhone where it is still a little buggy...

If you ever want to upgrade, you know I would help where I could - recommend plugins from vbullitin.org that do useful things etc!

I'd give you (Nick) admin access to my back end for you to have a look around and get tour head round stuff too if it would help, and give you a good bit of help over te phone if it was required!

There is so much that vb4 does that would add a great deal to the user experience here I think!

If you want me to show you anything or talk through anything with you let me know and I'll make some time one day at work!

Marco
01-10-2011, 16:00
Awww.... Cute!

Nice one, mate - glad to hear she's doing well. You just didn't need an excuse to post that picture! :eyebrows:

Regarding vB4, that's a very kind offer... I think we should explore this and take it a step at a time, the first one being Nick having a squinto round your 'manor', as it were, and then we'll see how it goes from there!

Could you guys liaise with each other on that one? :cool:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
01-10-2011, 16:35
Yeah, no worries!
Email on it's way if you still havethe same email address from a while ago Nick?

Reid Malenfant
01-10-2011, 16:43
It is a major project to get v4 working and iron out the issues... And it's still young compared with v3, which we've got working pretty well here :)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :eyebrows:

Beechwoods
01-10-2011, 16:46
Cheers for the very kind offer Hamish - I'll be in touch!

Marco
01-10-2011, 17:09
Excellent! I wouldn't have entertained it normally, but Hamish's influence will make all the difference :)

Let's make this happen, dudes... Nick, please update everyone in the mod room as and when you have some info. It would be good to have things in place in time for the Christmas banner! :cool:

Marco.

Beechwoods
01-10-2011, 17:11
I will - give me a few days though to get my stuff together :)

Marco
01-10-2011, 17:17
Hey, no worries, dude.... :thumbsup:

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-10-2011, 11:00
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :eyebrows:

There's fixing & pointess fixing :)

The Vinyl Adventure
02-10-2011, 12:18
It's not really fixing
More adding more features
The forum it's self would be basically the same, it would just have other features that people may or may not use ...
Vb4 suit gives the ability to create articles from threads, meaning if someone writes a review it can be promoted to the home page.
Same goes for any other content. Meaning everything that does get promoted can be categorised!
This gives the user much better ways of searching important content meaning threads are less likely to get doubled up ... And that's just one of many advantages!
The is also blogging software built in so people could write blogs on DIY builds for example.
Stan could have a blog on dac mods, he could link it to his web site ...
Neil and Howard could have mini articles that link to the stuf on thier sites that would help people searching on google for thier stuff by taking advantage of the high rank that aos has ...
The effects on the community are really positive if you ask me!

Apart from anything, there are no other hifi forums (apart from head fi) that do things like this!

It's a step from just a forum toward cloudsource journalism ... Which is arguable where things are going! (note disappearing magazines off the shelves - might not be what everyone wants, but it's happening regardless)

Of course, all of these things can be switched on and off very easily, meaning it can all be introduced at a slower pace giving users the chance to get used to the features as they appear!

I have no benefit to draw from this, apart from better user experience for me! I hardly post here any more(although I do read a lot) I just see this place get indexed on google often within a day of posts and think will a little nudge in the right direction this place has massive potential!
Potential that won't actually change how people currently use the place if they don't want it to... But if people are willing to make effort and really be part of the great community that Marco and co have built it could be so much more!

So yeah, not fixing, moving forward ... If everything stayed the same forever we wouldn't get anywhere in life would we?!

Marco
02-10-2011, 13:44
Nice one, Hamish. I totally share your sentiments, and thanks for showing an interest in the development AoS. Like I said, work closely with Nick on this, and keep us posted :)

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
02-10-2011, 15:17
I'll do what I can Marco :)
No worries! I might as well pass on some of the stuff I've learnt about vb4 over the last year an a half, you guys have been good letting me post lots of links and whatnot :)

Beechwoods
02-10-2011, 17:31
Thanks Hamish, you're a star, and thanks for your email, I will be in touch!

The Vinyl Adventure
03-10-2011, 08:02
If I have the time today I'll make you a list of mods that help keep the forum working like vb3 ... They or rid of the "threads that haven't been updated but still contain unread posts" but it's fixable with about 4 mouse clicks ... Stuff like that I hope will really help!

Marco
03-10-2011, 09:05
Coolio! The most important thing for me is that in switching to vB4, the visual template of the site remains near-identical to what it is just now, and doesn't end up looking like, say, Dave Cawley's TimeStep forum, or worse Wigwam (:eek:), only in a different colour..... :nono: :nono:

I hate all those stupid quote bubbles next to each section of the forum, new forum posts listed on the homepage, and pish like that! It adds too much clutter. The controls must also be as intuitive to use as they are now, or better, not worse.

What I'm getting at is that I don't want AoS to immediately look like it's a site running on vB4, framed with its rather ugly template, but rather one which incorporates the software benefits of vB4 as seamlessly and as invisibly as possible.

Marco.

Beechwoods
03-10-2011, 17:01
I think that whatever we do, we will need to have it running in a test bed, separate from the main forum, so we can try stuff in a safe environment. This is not the kind of upgrade you do *properly* over a weekend. Getting a distinctive look and feel is something needs to be done 'offline' -

I think we're on the same page Marco!

Marco
03-10-2011, 17:05
Yup, mate, I think we are :)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
03-10-2011, 17:24
Nick, can i also ask that you include some kind of second skin such as the "evening style" that we have on here at present, thanks in advance :)

Saves me from getting migraines it does ;) First thing i do when i log in is switch over...

synsei
03-10-2011, 18:27
Echoing Marks thoughts, it would be nice to have a wider selection of skins to choose from. I'm not fussed if they all have the AoS trademark look, it's just a little more sophistication wouldn't go amiss for me. Keep the original for those who still want it however... :cheers:

Marco
03-10-2011, 18:46
Echoing Marks thoughts, it would be nice to have a wider selection of skins to choose from.

Lol, Dave... Have you any idea how long it takes to properly design ONE extra skin, never mind a "wide selection"? :eek:

Fine if you have a spare fortnight with nothing else to do, or a plenty of dosh to pay a professional, otherwise................. ;)

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
03-10-2011, 22:25
The colours of the forum can be chosen from a colour wheel in vb4 ;)
You could make a parent template and the give it child versions with different colours (I think... I don't use it) if I'm right, it would take very little time or effort to do!

Marco, have a look here at the catergories http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/section/125-features.html

That should give you an idea of how you could organise articles etc ...

I've recategorised my content after blabbing on about how good it is here! ;)

Marco
04-10-2011, 09:14
I hear ya, dude. I think that Nick and you need to have a chat on the phone, and perhaps we do, too :)

Marco.

jandl100
24-10-2011, 09:13
I hate all those stupid quote bubbles next to each section of the forum, new forum posts listed on the homepage, and pish like that! It adds too much clutter.

Hey, wow, no ... not pish at all. I like the 'new forum posts' on the Wigwam homepage - I go to a lot of threads there that I wouldn't otherwise because of those. It's good intra-forum advertising! :thumbsup:

And, yeah, going back to the original post - there's still way too many pishy stickies on AoS! :ner: I just skim over the damn things! :doh::eyebrows:
Generally speaking, it seems to me, that threads should look after themselves - if they are popular they will stay at the top, if not then no-one wants to contribute to them anyway! There will be exceptions, of course, but not as many as there currently are!
Damn things just get in the way ... mutter mutter ...

Ant
25-10-2011, 10:35
Hi guys, I've found this 'new look' discussion interesting - I know I'm a 'newbie' here but maybe I can help out somewhere along the line, a freebie for AoS of course and nothing expected in return.

I've been a Graphics guy for 15 years in 2D & 3D so if I can help in any way, just give us a shout.

Just an idea but I've had a quick play with the header AoS banner and thought I'd post it:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/ant000/Beresford%207520%20mods/AoS2.jpg

Ant

Alex_UK
25-10-2011, 21:05
Nice work Anthony. I think in the past the Marco has been encouraged to look at a "re-brand", but I think he is rather fond of the current style. I guess it is a big decision to make when people have got used to a certain scheme and style, but I'm sure it will be considered with the good grace in which it has been offered. Thank you. :)

Ant
26-10-2011, 20:02
Nice work Anthony. I think in the past the Marco has been encouraged to look at a "re-brand", but I think he is rather fond of the current style. I guess it is a big decision to make when people have got used to a certain scheme and style, but I'm sure it will be considered with the good grace in which it has been offered. Thank you. :)

Thank you, although I hope my post didn't come across as 'sticking my nose in', the banner was just an idea, not a 'use this' kind of thing.

I like the ethos and already I can see there are lots of friendly genuine good guys here at AoS and would like to contribute to the forum in a way that I can - So if you need any graphics or anything related, I'd be more than happy to help.

Ta,
Ant

Alex_UK
26-10-2011, 21:10
Hi Ant - didn't for one minute think you were sticking your nose in - your enthusiasm and kind offer have been very much noted I'm sure! ;)

Beechwoods
27-10-2011, 05:39
Thanks for your concept Ant, it looks really modern and real, it doesn't look like a computer rendering at all!

When we refreshed the banner a year ago we wanted to keep a slightly retro-look, and tie the images back to gear owned by members, and pictures taken by members. It was a conscious thing. That's not to say that there might not be a more dramatic rebranding at some future point :)

Ant
01-11-2011, 21:07
Hi Ant - didn't for one minute think you were sticking your nose in - your enthusiasm and kind offer have been very much noted I'm sure! ;)

That's a relief, thanks Alex.

Thanks for your concept Ant, it looks really modern and real, it doesn't look like a computer rendering at all!

When we refreshed the banner a year ago we wanted to keep a slightly retro-look, and tie the images back to gear owned by members, and pictures taken by members. It was a conscious thing. That's not to say that there might not be a more dramatic rebranding at some future point :)

Thanks for your compliments on the render Nick, much appreciated. It's nice to see the member tie, makes it feel all homely :)

Cheers,
Ant