PDA

View Full Version : So do we really need another version/remaster of Dark Side of The Moon

Spectral Morn
28-09-2011, 21:52
Listening to the new DSOTM and well....truthfully not sure if it was worth buying, except for the Wembley concert.

Anyone got any views ?

Regards D S D L

Stratmangler
28-09-2011, 22:40
Well it's a better remastering job than James Guthrie managed on the previous two occasions - third time lucky I suppose. ;)

WAD62
29-09-2011, 08:45
Well it's a better remastering job than James Guthrie managed on the previous two occasions - third time lucky I suppose. ;)

That's encouraging Chris, I was just checking out my CD copy last night and it's the '95 one that Mr. Guthrie presided over, so hopefully I'll hear some benefits when the new one arrives (along with the others).

My big hope is for meddle, animals, and WYWH, as I only have the original CD issues (apart from the old vinyl).

Time will tell...;)

prestonchipfryer
29-09-2011, 14:49
Just another re-master/re-release to take punters' money for what is essentially the same. :rolleyes:

Beechwoods
29-09-2011, 17:44
The bonus 'unreleased' disc on the Immersion set is worth the price of entry alone, but I'm a bit of a sucker for unreleased Floyd.

DSJR
29-09-2011, 18:35
My ears must be more shot than I thought, 'cos apart from level changes, I can't hear much if any difference. I'll try again when my current stresses are less intrusive :)

By the way, my own CD of meddle is the original release and it still sounds pretty darned good to me!

aquapiranha
29-09-2011, 18:44
The point is if you buy another 'new' release of DSOTM, you pretty much make all the previous copies you have bought obsolete, assuming the new one sounds better, Therefore you have spent maybe three of four times the asking price, and where does it stop? I bet within a couple of more years there is another one...Oh, and I personally do not think it is the best the PF ever did anyway.

MartinT
29-09-2011, 19:15
My new remaster of Animals certainly sounds better than my original CD. Good news indeed as the murkiness has gone.

Audioman
30-09-2011, 09:19
I think the main interest in these is the unreleased extra's on the CD's. If they are devoid of the loudness wars problem they may be an improvement over earlier remastered CD's. However apart from quiet background they won't beat original vinyl. I see DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall are getting vinyl releases. In spite of claims of the DSOTM being better than 30th anniversary I have my doubts as I am sure the source is the new digital files.

WAD62
30-09-2011, 10:06
My new remaster of Animals certainly sounds better than my original CD. Good news indeed as the murkiness has gone.

Agreed Martin, and both 'Atom Heart Mother' and 'Meddle' are a big improvement too, a lot more 'body' shall we say...DSOTM, & WYWH sounded excellent too, but I'd had too much wine by that point to be objective...;)

WAD62
30-09-2011, 11:28
Just another re-master/re-release to take punters' money for what is essentially the same. :rolleyes:

There's certainly something in what you say, but on the other hand we're all into improvements in sound quality, and if these albums are close to your heart...why bite your nose to spite your face :)

One hypothetical approach might be as follows...

If you play your music via FLAC, and already have the album/cd covers, one might only want to rip the remaster once, and then sell on the CDs at a discount to a like minded chum who plays his music from CDs...for example ;)

All completely hypothetical of course...:eyebrows:

DSJR
30-09-2011, 13:22
However apart from quiet background they won't beat original vinyl.

Are you sure about this? My original vinyl (oh, alright, 1974) copy isn't very good and the standard MFSL LP I have was vastly better when I last compared them.

MartinT
30-09-2011, 13:53
For me, Meddle on vinyl was always best and still sounds magnificent. I also have AHM on vinyl.

Audioman
30-09-2011, 14:27
Are you sure about this? My original vinyl (oh, alright, 1974) copy isn't very good and the standard MFSL LP I have was vastly better when I last compared them.

I don't currently have an MFSL but from memory it has pumped high frequencies. Pressing quality varies on early pressings but the minty A3/B3 (2nd press) I have is very good. The 30th anniversary has quieter surfaces and not far behind soundwise. Better than MFSL. I had a copy purchased in 1974 that had too many pressing faults so binned it some years back.

DSJR
30-09-2011, 17:00
I doubt I'll be able to hear it now, but I remember the watch ticking at the beginning of the first track which I'm sure wasn't there on the original LP I had (I think it went when I got the standard MFSL issue - it's not the heavy-vinyl version).

Pete The Cat
01-10-2011, 07:01
Re the Wembley concert. After all those years of buying bootlegs I could've waited until now to find many of them released officially as extras on reissued albums :(

Pete

Beechwoods
01-10-2011, 11:06
It really sucks when those old boots are rendered obsolete! Still, for the obsessives, the version of the show on the remaster has a sampled kick-drum as the mic on the original kick channel was knock out of line and only picked up spill - and the BBC broadcast the boots are from was from a different feed. The DSOTM outtakes on the Immersion box are different to the boot outtakes circulating, with the exception of the 'Money' demo the beeb broadcast in the early 90's, which is nice.

Rare Bird
01-10-2011, 11:58
It won't be till monday i can get my mawlers on my mates Immersion set so i can check out the packaging quality, if it ticks all the boxes i'm inline for all the immersions prior to 'DSOTM' when they become available,thats if they do get issued as such.. So fingers crossed..

When the King Crimson 40th Anni got released a couple years back i was distraught that they only released the 1st album as a multi Disc set, i was hoping for multi Disc'erz for 1st four albums. However i did buy (at massive expence) the Japanese issued set of it.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Set.jpg

sparrow
01-10-2011, 18:13
:cool:Andre how you doin now mate??

Rare Bird
01-10-2011, 18:30
I'm good John, been on holidays for a few days.... No you can't have it :lolsign:

Beechwoods
01-10-2011, 18:38
If the Floyd are watching the following would be nice:

1. Piper At The Gates of Dawn with 2nd disc featuring the 'semi-pro' Revox recording of their 1967 Gyllene Cirkeln show. EMI have a copy and serious discussions have gone on regarding some kind of license for it's release.

2. 'More' or 'Ummagumma' with additional discs featuring... Anthony Stern's pro-shot rehearsal footage from the Royal Festival Hall April 1969, all the work tapes that must exist from the More sessions, that so far have never surfaced. 'Interstellar Overdrive' from the 'Ummagumma' live sessions, that was taped but never released... A proper double-disc release of the Concertgebouw 1969 show which VPRO have in their archives, and the Paradiso 1969 show recorded by Hilversum 3 radio that was never broadcast because the vocal mics failed... but still makes an extraordinary instrumental odyssey. Oh, and the BBC Top Gear stuff BBC6 keep playing, but in proper 'lossless' quality...

3. 'Atom Heart Mother' with the Quad mix in 24/96, plus the KQED TV special from April 1970 which the Floyd now have, and featured 2 tracks from in the recent BBC4 night. Bonus discs including the BBC Paris Theatre show from early 1970.

4. 'Meddle' with the One Of These Days outtakes that circulate, the Quad version that was mixed but never released, and there must be some footage from 'Live At Pompeii' that was recorded but never released. There is certainly a lot of European video footage that sits in the French and German TV archives that has never been officially released and which could enrich a box from this time.

It's a bit like fantasy football I know, but if you're going to clear the closets, you may as well do it properly.

Rare Bird
02-10-2011, 10:44
BBC Paris Theatre show from early 1970.

16th July '70, the Sound Quality for that is very good.

MartinT
02-10-2011, 18:22
'Interstellar Overdrive' from the 'Ummagumma' live sessions, that was taped but never released

I'd pay money for that.

Beechwoods
02-10-2011, 19:11
A raw mix - 'rough reductions' - , via an MP3 source :doh: came out a year or so ago.

http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/ummagummalivetape1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/ummagummalivetape2.jpg

And some guy has been trying to flog the multi-tracks for ages - Floyd's management had his sale closed down last time he tried IIRC. The multi-tracks were found 'in a bin' apparently! Sounds somewhat dubious :lol:

Rare Bird
02-10-2011, 22:01
I'd pay money for that.

Anything nice around the 'Ummagumma' & 'Atom Heart Mother' time please

:eyebrows:

MartinT
02-10-2011, 22:25
Careful with that axe, Andr'e

Rare Bird
02-10-2011, 22:32
Aye or it'll be ''Absolutely Curtains" :lolsign:

Spectral Morn
03-10-2011, 13:11
Hate to say it but the packaging is crap, hard tight carboard again so you can scrape your CD as you remove it from the cover. Not quite as bad as the Directors Cut Kate Bush release :doh::(:steam: but still not easy to remove. Why oh why do this, have they never seen the Jap Cds that are so beautifully packaged........

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
03-10-2011, 13:17
Thats it Neil & not the mention the stupid printing on the Disc (Why not just print a mock up of the original Album label) ?
I get pig sick of it tbh. I know Japanese issues are expensive but they are very worth it to me.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Picture034.jpg

WAD62
03-10-2011, 13:38
Hate to say it but the packaging is crap, hard tight carboard again so you can scrape your CD as you remove it from the cover. Not quite as bad as the Directors Cut Kate Bush release :doh::(:steam: but still not easy to remove. Why oh why do this, have they never seen the Jap Cds that are so beautifully packaged........

Regards D S D L

...and don't even try to get accompanying album notes booklet out, as you'll be there for ages trying to get the damned thing back in again :steam:

I'm glad I ripped it to FLAC, and don't have to scratch the CD each time I want to play it :)

MartinT
05-10-2011, 11:59
Alan Parsons 1972 Original Album Mix

This is the version I have on hi-res DVD-A, a download that's been on the net for a while. Interestingly different, isn't it? Also excellent sound quality but balanced a little lighter than the SACD of the standard mix.