PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hynes Design new SR3 series 3 power supply and series 2 clearout

Paul Hynes
27-09-2011, 14:02
SR3 series 3 power supply upgrade

The SR3 series 3 power supply power supply is now available. The rectification and energy storage arrangements have been upgraded. Some additional circuit modifications have been made to reduce the power supply noise floor even further than series 2. The regulator transient response has also been improved. The sound quality of this series 3 upgrade is well worthwhile as the musical information presentation is noticeably clearer and background noise lower with all the items of equipment I have used it with. This includes the Altmann DAC, Squeezebox Touch, a prototype FET phono stage and even the Technics SL1210 direct drive turntable.

The retail price for the SR3 series 3 remains the same for the time being at £270. All outstanding SR3 series 2 orders are being upgraded to series 3 versions so customers need not be concerned that they are not getting the latest specification of the power supply.

I have a number of series 2 printed circuit boards left in stock and I have decided to offer the SR3 series 2 version, for a greatly reduced price of £180, until these boards are used up, as this is still a good power supply for high quality sound, and this will be of benefit for those on a more limited budget. High performance DC leads are extra at £35 and shipping costs are £10 in the UK, £20 in Europe and £30 to the rest if the world. Payment can be via Paypal.

The SR3 is normally supplied with the following ratings :-

3v3 at 3 amps
5v at 3 amps
6v3 at 2.5 amps
9v at 2.5 amps
12v at 2.5 amps
15v at 2 amps
18v at 1.5 amps
24v at 1.25 amps
30v at 1 amp

Intermediate voltages are possible if required.

The SR3 is a great choice for the various single supply voltage DACs, digital streamers and digital interfaces that are currently popular. Products successfully upgraded using the SR3 include the following,

Altmann Attraction DAC
Altmann BYOB power Amplifier
Antlope Trinity clock
Antlope Zodiac
Arcam rDAC
Caiman DAC
Cambridge Audio Dac Magic
Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3 and 4
Empirical Audio Pace Car
M2Tech Hiface
M2Tech EVO
M2 Tech Young DAC
Metric Halo ULN-2
Metric Halo LIO-8
Squeezebox Classic
Squeezebox SB3
Squeezebox Duet
Squeezebox Touch
Technics SL1200 and SL1210 Direct drive turntable
Wadia iPod Dock
Weiss INT202

Paul Hynes
Paul Hynes Design

leo
29-09-2011, 02:20
Anybody with kit ran from a stock external switcher or linear psu should seriously give one of these a try, their bloody brilliant! the PR3/SR3 series 2 is by far the best regged psu I've tried. If the series 3 is even better than the series 2 it'll be a corker :eyebrows:.

HighFidelityGuy
29-09-2011, 21:57
Sounds good! What's the difference between the PR3 and SR3? Cheers. :)

Paul Hynes
30-09-2011, 09:19
Dave,

The PR3 is a regulator module for DIY enthusiasts to enable them to build their own power supply and the SR3 is a fully built power supply.

Regards
Paul

HighFidelityGuy
30-09-2011, 14:30
Thanks Paul.
So is the SR3 the highest quality, lowest noise, fully built power supply that you make? At least for low current devices like the HiFace EVO and stuff like that?

Cheers. :)

Paul Hynes
30-09-2011, 18:03
Dave,

The SR3 is my middle range power supply. If you want better performance the SR5 and 7 will give you that and the XL versions will give you even better performance. The SR7EHDXL is the best currently. These power supplies are all custom orders and are tailored to suit the equipment requirements for output voltage and load current.

Regards
Paul

Reid Malenfant
30-09-2011, 18:20
Hi Paul, hope you are well fella :) Is this equipment on your website? Last time i looked it needed updating even then i have a feeling ;)

Paul Hynes
30-09-2011, 19:12
Hi Mark,

I am good thanks. You too?

The website was set up around four years ago and I have been so busy building regulators and power supplies since, that I have never found the spare time to update it. There are many more products available than shown on the website and they go as high end as you want to go. I tend to use my manufacturers circle on AudioCircle to publicise new additions, as it is so quick and easy to start a new thread. Until recently 99% of my trade has been overseas and AudioCircle is convenient because of this.

Maybe Marco can set something like the specific Manufacturers Circles up on this site where each manufacturer can air his wares and provide useful info for forum members. Posts on the trade section or any of the threads on AoS soon get lost in the mists of time unless set up as a sticky. A specific manufacturers thread is readily accessible. Manufacturers could sponsor the site with an annual contribution to the site upkeep. How about it Marco? I would be happy to participate and I am sure other manufacturers would.

Regarding the website, work has started behind the scenes to provide a web site that can be updated easily anytime and it will have a shopping cart and applications database attached. This is a work in progress so I am not setting any timescales but will notify everyone when it is up and running.

Regards
Paul

Reid Malenfant
30-09-2011, 19:21
Hi Paul, much better of late thank you for asking :) Good to here that trade is good by the way!

SR7EHDXL... SR7 Extra Heavy Duty? Just a guess :scratch:

I'll leave the rest to the relevant people, sounds like a reasonable idea though imo :)

HighFidelityGuy
01-10-2011, 10:43
Dave,

The SR3 is my middle range power supply. If you want better performance the SR5 and 7 will give you that and the XL versions will give you even better performance. The SR7EHDXL is the best currently. These power supplies are all custom orders and are tailored to suit the equipment requirements for output voltage and load current.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul, that makes sense. I think the SR3 is about the most I could stretch to at the moment but it's nice to know it's possible to take things further in the future. :)

On a slightly different subject; I noticed that you now offer regulator upgrades for the HiFace EVO and I was wondering if the SR3 would be a good match for an EVO modded by you and also whether the EVO would then need a different input voltage to the standard 7-11V DC? Many thanks. :)

Paul Hynes
01-10-2011, 11:59
Dave,

I normally sell the SR3-09 as an external power supply for EVO and this power supply works very well with the internal regulator upgrades. The SR3 output voltage can be adjusted internally over a reasonable range and I usually set it for 7 volts for the internal regulator upgrade to minimise heat generation inside the EVO case.

Regards
Paul