PDA

View Full Version : Stan the Man (and network storage Q)

macca63
26-09-2011, 08:42
Hi all

On the advice of the forum I now have a Caiman Gatorized - I picked it up from Stan's place yesterday evening (an interesting and clever guy!)

Connected it to my CD deck via Coax and my Macbook via USB and - WOW! - what a difference! An instant increase in frequencies, rounder firmer bass and crisper treble and crystal clear midrange. The overall sound is warm and very much like vinyl (high praise indeed!)

I have to say that I found myself feeling a little confused though - I think maybe as it's a sound quality I'm not used to without any noise - almost reminiscent of Dolby C / DBX but with more space for the music. Vinyl, of course has a higher sound floor and there are inevitable pops, surface noise and tiny scratches.

I have to say, though, that I'm delighted with my new sound - I sat there for hours last night inwardly marveling at it. I tried Spotify, Soundcloud, iTunes and CD's - all sounded fantastic.

So, many thanks to the forum and, of course, Stanley Beresford.

Lastly, what advice on a network drive and how to I access / control music files easily?

All the best

Tony

webby
26-09-2011, 11:23
Do you have an iPhone or iPad? You could use the Apple Remote app to control iTunes. It's free.

I'll leave the NAS for others to answer.

macca63
26-09-2011, 11:39
I have both! iPhone 4 & iPad 2 - both have remote on them too. The main reasons I was looking at NAS are storage capacity (especially if I'm going down the 'lossless' road) and having it as part of my hi-fi. I understand that some of the manufacturers have websites that can access your music libraries, which has it's appeal as it gives wireless control through the router without the risk of wireless interference as the NAS will be wired to the DAC via coax of optical cables depending on the NAS.

I must confess to being very excited about my digital music future after being blown away by my new Caiman - I just want to make sure I go about it the right way to ensure the best quality sound.

Cheers

T

webby
26-09-2011, 12:03
Are you running lion? Lion may not work with some 3rd party NAS drives due to the version of Netatalk (I think it's called that) lion uses.

You might wanna look into that.

macca63
26-09-2011, 12:17
I am using Lion and found a few apps aren't compatible - I see the 'beach ball of death' much more than I used to :(

Would this be an issue if I'm accessing / controlling a library via a programme on a NAS manufacturers website?

webby
26-09-2011, 15:10
I am using Lion and found a few apps aren't compatible - I see the 'beach ball of death' much more than I used to :(

Would this be an issue if I'm accessing / controlling a library via a programme on a NAS manufacturers website?

I haven't upgraded to Lion yet so I can't comment. I do know some apps aren't compatible. Any ppc apps that you may have had before won't work in Lion as Lion doesn't have Rosetta, the code translation app, that previous OS's had.

StanleyB
26-09-2011, 17:10
So, many thanks to the forum and, of course, Stanley Beresford.

Hi Tony,

it was nice meeting you, and I am glad that you are very pleased with the results :).