PDA

View Full Version : Last Gig You Went To...

Pages : [1] 2 3

MartinT
23-09-2011, 21:25
Sorry guys, I made a boo boo and deleted the one Alex created :o

MartinT
23-09-2011, 21:26
Gordon Giltrap last night at the Lights Andover was a superb, intimate, concert where he played solo and displayed all his mastery of both acoustic and electric guitars. We were in row 2 and right in front of him so we could see all his fingering very clearly. GG had an easy way with the audience, regaled us with stories of his experiences and played some utterly compelling music. I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed at a concert, especially after a day's work. Most enjoyable.

Alex_UK
23-09-2011, 21:30
Sorry guys, I made a boo boo and deleted the one Alex created :o

:lol:

All good fun, innit!

slate
23-09-2011, 21:47
Argh… so all my subtle taunts of Alex’s affectuation with Tina Dico has gone to the eternal bit fields!!! :doh:

Hereby back on tracks :ner:

MartinT
23-09-2011, 21:50
Alex’s affectuation with Tina Dico

Watch it - he has competition, you know ;)

Rare Bird
23-09-2011, 23:46
I said i will never ever see anyone play live again, i said this in 1986, but i do it because if i don't the wife wont go see what she likes!

DanJennings
26-09-2011, 13:37
Right, let's get this new one started.

Last night I went to see Between The Buried And Me an incredible American prog/metal group at Birmingham Academy 3.

I've only heard a couple of their albums, so I was going in a bit blind on this one (they have done about 5 albums, a live album and I think a couple of EPs too.)

The musicianship was amazing, and although I will admit their style certainly not for everyone, I really enjoyed the show.

They are a hard band to describe, their music shifts styles, keys and time signatures very quickly, as they incorporate rock, metal, jazz, math rock, and melodic bits some of which can sound like Porcupine Tree or Muse. They are also rather heavy!

D3_7_wIxQ-k

We met them all afterwards, they were happy to sign all of our stuff, all in all a great night!

Beechwoods
26-09-2011, 19:28
I like the heavier bits, a bit like Cephalic Carnage, but the 'clean singing' bits I struggle with. Cool band to come to the UK though!

IbQHISgQqaE

Tim
27-09-2011, 08:07
I said i will never ever see anyone play live again, i said this in 1986, but i do it because if i don't the wife wont go see what she likes!
So you didn't see ELP last year at High Voltage......it was a good show fella :eyebrows:

DanJennings
27-09-2011, 18:30
I like the heavier bits, a bit like Cephalic Carnage, but the 'clean singing' bits I struggle with. Cool band to come to the UK though!

WOW.... I've heard of them, but actually not heard them before...

That certainly blasted out the cobwebs, great stuff.... can you recommend an album?

Tim
28-09-2011, 11:12
The Civil Wars - Union Chapel
Tues 27.09.11

Fantastic show in a beautiful venue and I was sat in row two behind Adele! That girl is getting as large as Alison Moyet used to be :scratch:

MartinT
28-09-2011, 11:55
Alison Moyet had the lungs to go with it ;)

Tim
03-10-2011, 23:47
That she did Martin :lol:

This was one of the best gigs this year and taking The Wall out, probably my number one - a truly magical evening. These guys are IMO a bit special with a great story about how they formed. There are on Jools Holland tomorrow (Tuesday 4th Oct) and worth checking out - may not be everyone's cuppa, but worth a knowledge check at least, as they are on the rise ;)
Some of the most wonderful vocal harmonies I have heard in sometime.

3Fmo68AL8Yw

I had quite a lot of banter with them during the show too, which was a hoot - great sense of humour and right there when it comes to English wit and repartee.
I'm a big fan along with Adele :)

WAD62
11-10-2011, 10:51
Spiritualized @ Leamington Assembly

This is the second time I've seen Spiritualized at this venue, both times it's been used as a warm up gig (there's some vague connection with the venue owner), last time for the 'Songs in A&E' tour, this time for their 'Royal Albert Hall' gig which I think is tonight...get yourself down if you're in the London area :)

For the first half of the gig we were treated to their forthcoming album in it's entirety (apparently to be released early next year), the band have been bolstered by an additional guitarist, and the result is an even bigger wall of sound...more reminiscent of their 'ladies & gentlemen...' period.

I was close enough to the front to appreciate why Jason Pierce has taken to sitting throughout the gig (in his usual stage right position), his legs look like pipe cleaners. Presumably as a result of years of ill health, or drug abuse, or more likely a combination of the two.

The second section was a scorching trip through the highlights of their back catalogue, including a Spacemen 3 cover, which was nice. ;)

Here's the set list from their gig in Edinburgh the previous evening (the same set)...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spiritualized/2011/the-queens-hall-edinburgh-scotland-3d069a7.html

This was probably the best I've seen them since the late nineties, well worth catching the tour if you can, well their one date at the RAH anyway ;)

Beechwoods
13-10-2011, 16:29
WOW.... I've heard of them, but actually not heard them before...

That certainly blasted out the cobwebs, great stuff.... can you recommend an album?

Sorry Dan, missed this!

Anomalies is fab. Utterly scary opening track. Highly recommended!

Will... Spiritualized are a great live band. I once had a completely trancendental moment with Spiritualized at Bristol's Colston Hall. Almost floated out of my seat during Electric Mainline!

Marco
13-10-2011, 16:35
That must've been some bad-ass shit you were on, dude! :peace:

Marco.

DanJennings
13-10-2011, 17:32
I saw the Specials last night at Wolverhampton Civic...

it was the most fun I've had in ages. And you could buy a recording of the concert on CD when you left the venue. Don't mind if I do!

I had a quick listen, the sound quality is surprisingly good.

Beechwoods
13-10-2011, 18:02
That must've been some bad-ass shit you were on, dude! :peace:

Marco.

Lol! You'd have thought! I think I was stone cold sober at the time!!

Reid Malenfant
13-10-2011, 18:09
Lol! You'd have thought! I think I was stone cold sober at the time!!
It's quite easy to be sober & yet totally off of your box Nick ;)

Batty
13-10-2011, 21:35
A guy named Johnny Diesel in the Norwood Hotel in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago.
Audience of about 250, excellent music well played.

SteveW
13-10-2011, 21:42
Ok, not the last gig I went to... but the next one!
Caravan and Curved Air over in Holmfirth tomorrow night.
Not sure I'll still get into the 32inch waist loons though.

WAD62
19-10-2011, 17:48
Will... Spiritualized are a great live band. I once had a completely trancendental moment with Spiritualized at Bristol's Colston Hall. Almost floated out of my seat during Electric Mainline!

Likewise Nick, I must have seen them about 15 or so times, it's always a great experience, and now with a beefed up band...and those strobes!!!

Anyway what can one expect from a man who released an album (well Spacemen 3), called 'Taking drugs, to make music to take drugs to' :)

Good job I'm a clean living kid...;)

WAD62
19-10-2011, 18:19
I saw the Specials last night at Wolverhampton Civic...

it was the most fun I've had in ages. And you could buy a recording of the concert on CD when you left the venue. Don't mind if I do!

I had a quick listen, the sound quality is surprisingly good.

I saw them last year at the Ricoh in Coventry, great fun but they were absolutely slaughtered, they'd been on it all day...I've never seen security at a gig so frightened of an audience (more bifters on the go than you could shake a stick at), they'd have given Millwall away fans a run for their money.

But they did show last year's Wolverhampton gig on Sky arts, in 5.1, an they did an excellent performance there, I wonder if that's where the recording came from.

They're on again here on the 29th, but it clashes with the Rapture, and to be honest it's just a bit too Cov. to go again ;)

DanJennings
21-10-2011, 17:51
But they did show last year's Wolverhampton gig on Sky arts, in 5.1, an they did an excellent performance there, I wonder if that's where the recording came from.

The recording came from the show I went to... 12/10/11.... they burned the CDs and you could buy them in the foyer almost immediately after the show. Technology eh?

I just gave the double CD its first proper listen on the way to and from work today actually, and it's great, almost as fun as it was being there.

WAD62
26-10-2011, 08:46
Tindersticks @ Warwick Arts Centre 22/10/11

This was advertised as an hour of their film scores to Clair Denis's movies followed by a full Tindersticks gig...

However, if your ever at a Tindersticks gig and you hear Stuart Staples (the lead singer) say 'Sorry I've got laryngitis, I can't sing, so we're just going to do the film scores'...run like the wind.

If you know Tinderstics you'll know how important Stuart Staples baritone is to their sound...even to their film scores, 'Trouble Every Day' etc., we even had the bass player attempting to sing 'tiny tears'...The first 45 minutes were tolerable, but after 90 I'd lost the will to live :(

Dull, dull, dull...Time to ask for a refund...:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
31-10-2011, 10:09
Regression time for me last night - I went to see Alice Cooper.
The first time I saw him was in 1981 - this was my third. As before, it was an absolutely brilliant piece of musical theatre. Cheesy in the extreme - but that's kind of the point! It's the old songs that I'm interested in - I discovered Alice Cooper when I was very young! Plenty of the old stuff on offer, played by a really tight band, including Steve Hunter who with, Dick Wagner, produced that particular guitar sound that's on the Billion Dollar Babies and Welcome to my Nightmare albums for example, as well as Berlin & Rock & Roll Animal by Lou Reed.

a4VuHHqIBqI

Also playing guitar was Australian Orianthi Panagaris, who I've never heard of, but apparently played for Michael Jackson. Frank Zappa originally signed the Alice Cooper band to his Straight label - their first record deal & later he also gave Steve Vai help and support early on in his career, so it was a nice twist to discover that her first ever live performance was at the age of 15(!) for Steve Vai.
Here they are playing together more recently than that (please excuse the ropey advert at the begining of the video):

G7b-_YcACuQ

Support band was the New York Dolls, to whom I'm rather partial, so all in all it was a great night out for myself and Madame Wazoo.

DanJennings
31-10-2011, 19:06
Alice Cooper

Nice, I nearly went to the Birmingham one, but I was a bit low on cash and I saw him on his last tour...

Anyway, At the weekend I went to see Pop Will Eat Itself at Birmingham academy 2....

The band were great, played a good mix of old and new, and were great fun. I bought the new album there, it's pretty damn good.

However, the venue was NOT. They started the gig early, so we missed a fair chunk of the start of the show. It was also ridiculously oversold, which made it almost unbearable. Me and a friend were wearing hooded sweatshirts, and found it difficult to take them off because people were packed in that tight, and that was at the back. It was also unbearable hot, and probably contravened any number of safety regulations. We couldn't get to the bar, the toilet, the merch stand or the exit until the very end.

Why they didn't put it in academy 1 I have no idea..... there was nothing else on there. Oh well, I'm probably coming across as a grumpy git, but it did pretty much spoil the night, and it isn't the first time this has happened at this venue.

Rare Bird
31-10-2011, 20:45
The wife is going to see Beverly Craven Wedensday at Buxton Pavilion Arts Centre

Alex_UK
31-10-2011, 21:35
The wife is going to see Beverly Craven Wedensday at Buxton Pavilion Arts Centre

So annoying - she was at Bury St Edmunds a couple of weeks ago! Still, Braintree in March is an option... ;)

Tim
01-11-2011, 01:34
Steven Wilson - Shepherd's Bush Empire

Well I'm a little shell shocked right now, as this was a stonking night to be sure. As ever Steven pulled off a very professional show, touting his new album 'Grace for Drowning'. I have to admit, I thought I was at a King Crimson gig and they had just released a new album - I even reckon tonight's show may have appealed to André. All that re-mixing of KC albums with Robert Fripp has rubbed off it seems - I was in heaven for sure.

And the audience was a right who's who too. I had 'H' (Steve Hogarth) from Marillion sat right in front of me, with other celebs also in the front row of the balcony. The boy Wilson seems to be popular with other musicians of a certain age i.e. older than me!

All in all a stunning night, which was his first 'solo' show in London, if you can call it solo, as he had a full band who were also exceptional, especially the bass player, whose name I forget :scratch:

:cool:

EDIT: The bass player was Nick Beggs, ex Kajagoogoo and more recently work with Steve Hackett and also folk/prog band Iona. He's darned good.

WAD62
01-11-2011, 11:12
Anyway, At the weekend I went to see Pop Will Eat Itself at Birmingham academy 2....

The band were great, played a good mix of old and new, and were great fun. I bought the new album there, it's pretty damn good.

However, the venue was NOT. They started the gig early, so we missed a fair chunk of the start of the show. It was also ridiculously oversold, which made it almost unbearable. Me and a friend were wearing hooded sweatshirts, and found it difficult to take them off because people were packed in that tight, and that was at the back. It was also unbearable hot, and probably contravened any number of safety regulations. We couldn't get to the bar, the toilet, the merch stand or the exit until the very end.

Why they didn't put it in academy 1 I have no idea..... there was nothing else on there. Oh well, I'm probably coming across as a grumpy git, but it did pretty much spoil the night, and it isn't the first time this has happened at this venue.

I very nearly went to that Dan, sounds like a bit of a nightmare, re. the crowding...I'm sure they oversell the main room too.

I didn't as 'The Rapture' were playing Cov. that night at the Kasbah.

An excellent gig, good crowd, and a mixture of their new album and old favourites, great fun and rather sweaty.

What was surreal was that they'd been booked in the over 14s slot, i.e. out by 10 so the over 18s club night could start, but the audience's average age was about 35...whereas the kids coming in for the subsequent club night looked about 12!!! :lol:

The highlight for me being...

Eh6ewSKs8HU

And on the previous Thursday;

Went to see my mates band Souvaris on Thursday night, their third album launch, which has taken them 21 bloody months to finish...they must have taken ages to come up with the title...

Excellent stuff, think of a more jazzy/funky explosions in the sky or mogwai etc.

Souvaris - Souvaris Souvaris

http://gringorecords.bandcamp.com/al...varis-souvaris

Also on the bill were Zun Zun Egui, who I believe are from Bristol, with some strong Mali influences...very unique, a cross between the Bundu boys, Talking Heads and very early Yes...I know it sounds implausible but take a listen.

The frontman is a terrific, and an excellent guitarist

Zun Zun Egui - Katang

http://open.spotify.com/album/40ZlWxTdxWq1t0Xwx4BTfS

...a very good gig week for me :)

bennyboyph
01-11-2011, 17:54
Fucked Up @ Soundcontrol in Manchester

One of the best live bands at the moment. Take your earplugs though, very loud!!

jostber
01-11-2011, 18:11
Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlins acoustic in Oslo at Sunday 31th October. Migthy great music and show.

Bazil
01-11-2011, 19:26
Crosby and Nash beginning of October, I'd seen CSN last year and the year before, this was different a couple of Byrds and Hollies numbers included.

Tim
01-11-2011, 20:05
Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlins acoustic in Oslo at Sunday 31th October. Migthy great music and show.
Excellent, I am seeing Gillian in a couple of weeks - looking forward to it :)

Werner Berghofer
09-11-2011, 17:05
Yesterday evening, Innsbruck.

Heard Mark Knopfler play his guitar like he always did in the last 35 years, and heard the 70 years old Bob Dylan smashing some of the most excellent lyrics ever written on this planet with a croaking voice.

Werner.

Tim
10-11-2011, 00:03
Well in the last week I have been lucky enough to see Tori Amos, Jon Allen, Emily Barker & The Red Clay Halo and last night Eilen Jewell.

Without doubt the stand out was Tori Amos, who gave an extremely polished performance at the Hammersmith Apollo. Of particular note was the very simple but elegant and stylish lighting. It's amazing what was achieved with just black drapes and lights. She performed songs from her entire repertoire, backed by a string quartet. Bloomin' marvellous :) I also liked the way she interacted with the audience and she looked pretty darned good for a woman approaching 50.

eu9hRBe4_4A
Not my recording

(I think Eilen Jewell ran Tori a close second, also a great show with a very tight band of 3 musicians behind her)

Rare Bird
10-11-2011, 00:12
What i always found facinating about her is how she sits on the piano stool.

MartinT
10-11-2011, 06:58
Tori was looking pretty good on the Jo Whiley show in a short interview. Reminded me to play some of her early CDs.

WAD62
13-11-2011, 10:50
Went to see Yes at the Birmingham symphony hall on Saturday night...

mmmm...I'm still not quite sure what to make of it, I think in short some things are better left to memory...

Ok Firstly there was always going to be the dreaded 'new material', which was suitably ponderous and tedious, but I was mentally prepared for that.

What I wasn't prepared for was the visual experience, and I don't mean the roger dean projections.

Haven't these lads ever seen 'Spinal Tap', Chris Squire looked like some form of transvestite darts player, whilst both Steve Howe and Alan White appeared to be competing in an iron maiden lookalike contest...chaps you're in your middle sixties, you're bald...get a bloody haircut!!! Have a look at Brian Eno, now that's how to grow old gracefully :)

Then there was the Andersonesque stand in vocalist, with ones eyes closed (the best way to experience the gig) he did a passable impression, but his stage 'presence' and general mincing about, proved to be very irritating.

The keyboard player, even with his OTT silver jacket was the definition of sartorial elegance compared to the rest...and he looked like he'd just escaped from Skid Row.

Musically they played most of my old favourites, all pre Relayer, they did trot out 'Owner of a lonely heart' later on, but mostly stuff from the first 4 albums. All pretty well played, particularly Howe & Squire...who whilst looking ridiculous are still excellent musicians, Alan White on the other hand does seem to be struggling a little physically, but I suppose that's understandable given the demands of drumming.

Whilst the sound quality was very good, it was a little quiet, so with my eyes closed it was almost as good as my stereo...I should have stayed at home with a nice bifter ;)

Myself and my mate came to the conclusion that we'd rather we'd not gone...some things are indeed best left to memory :)

Tim
13-11-2011, 11:45
...some things are indeed best left to memory :)
I saw them in Bristol in Nov 2009, I enjoyed myself but that was the last time I care to see them - they will never top the performance they put on in Reading in 1975. Like you say, best left to a happy memory.

I walked out of Jon Anderson & Rick Wakeman recently, one of only 2 gigs I have walked out of in 40 years of going to concerts!

WAD62
13-11-2011, 12:18
I saw them in Bristol in Nov 2009, I enjoyed myself but that was the last time I care to see them - they will never top the performance they put on in Reading in 1975. Like you say, best left to a happy memory.

I walked out of Jon Anderson & Rick Wakeman recently, one of only 2 gigs I have walked out of in 40 years of going to concerts!

I think I saw them in Edinburgh in 75 or 76, so those were good Yes memories :)

Going to see these old bands is always a bit of a gamble Tim, for example I've seen both Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash, and Martin Turner's.

Whilst Martin Turner's wasn't the most hideous experience I've ever had, I found Andy Powell's version to be far more entertaining, and much less pretentious ;)

But if you don't gamble you never win...anyway that's Yes off the wish list :)

s70rmp
13-11-2011, 19:30
I'm actually off to see The Darkness in 5 mins in Manchester tonight

s70rmp
13-11-2011, 19:30
I'm actually off to see The Darkness in 5 mins in Manchester tonight

MartinT
13-11-2011, 22:25
Went to see Yes at the Birmingham symphony hall on Saturday night...

Thanks, Will. I'm still looking forward to seeing them on Thursday at the Hammersmith Apollo. Material from the first four albums sounds just fine with me. Quiet is also good, I no longer want to be deafened or have to wear ear plugs at gigs.

MartinT
13-11-2011, 22:26

:eek: I loved them at the Basingstoke Anvil earlier this year.

WAD62
14-11-2011, 09:07
Thanks, Will. I'm still looking forward to seeing them on Thursday at the Hammersmith Apollo. Material from the first four albums sounds just fine with me. Quiet is also good, I no longer want to be deafened or have to wear ear plugs at gigs.

Martin, I stopped listening to yes around 'Going for the One', so all I can say is that everything I recognised was from the first 4 albums, no Topographic Oceans, or Relayer...they may have played some material from more recent albums but I just assumed it to be new stuff, mostly due to it being poor IMHO :)

I think the volume was more down to the venue, BSH is usually a little quieter than most venues I go to...I'd imagine there'd be less restrictions at the Apollo.

I also hope they have a bigger projection screen for the Roger Dean images (far too small at the BSH), might be able to distract you from the band's 'visual' issues ;)

Enjoy...:)

Tim
14-11-2011, 09:36
:eek: I loved them at the Basingstoke Anvil earlier this year.
I just couldn't stomach Rick's cheesey slap stick humour anymore Martin and when Jon started paying too much attention to his 'bit of stuff' in the front row (get a room guys), that was it for me.....

Royal Festival Hall - Sunday 13th Nov
Alison Krauss & Union Station

What a bloody great show, Alison's second night of 4 sold out shows. I was lucky to have great seats in the front stalls, a few rows from the front. The sound was sublime, but then most things sound pretty good in the RFH.

They did a lot of stuff from Paper Airplane as well as stuff from her entire career and a couple of covers. Special mention goes to Jerry Douglas on the Dobro, this guy owns the instrument - wonderful.

Over 2 hours of music and an encore which saw them unplugged together around a single microphone, which for me was the highlight - I love to see an artist strip it all back and perform pretty raw.

All in all a really fantastic night with a great meal in Ping Pong beforehand!

Taken by a friend

Werner Berghofer
14-11-2011, 18:57
Tim,

that was the last time I care to see them

unfortunately I hadn’t the honour to know you back in 1973, but I guess even at that time I would have suggested to *not* visit that gig :-) Sorry, really don’t want to insult any “Yes” fans, but for me their music always has sounded like bloated cr*p.

Werner.

DavefromDorset
14-11-2011, 19:14
I heard the Arctic Monkeys rehearsing from outside the SECC in Glasgow last Tuesday - does that count as going to a gig?

Dave

jostber
14-11-2011, 20:17
Elvis Costello mostly solo at the Sentrum Scene in Oslo at the 12th of November. He also did some tunes with warm-up act Larkin Poe, which was also a very fine set.

Rare Bird
15-11-2011, 16:31
Yes were at Sheffield City Hall last week although i love the old YES albums i had nay intensions in going to see them...

Tim
15-11-2011, 19:01
Yes were at Sheffield City Hall last week although i love the old YES albums i had nay intensions in going to see them...
:lol: good call fella IMO

DanJennings
15-11-2011, 19:15
catch up time.... I went to see the Defiled at Birmingham academy 3 a couple of weeks ago....

Great up and coming band, it's the third time I've seen and met them in just under 2 years.

Hard to describe musically, they look quite theatrical, but they play ferocious metal with a bit of industrial too.

This is their newest single:

D3Zrn-eEnGg

I went to see Opeth at Birmingham Academy 1 on Saturday night.

I love Opeth, and I like the new album, but I was not expecting them to do an evening completely devoid of death metal growls and their heavier bits. Unfortunately that's what I got.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, they played some great songs, and there was a great atmosphere. I just felt it was like Opeth with their balls cut off..... I've always liked the contrast between fragile and brutal that in my opinion is a big part of their sound and their appeal...

Just my two cents. :)

MartinT
18-11-2011, 07:01
The band looked old and the audience looked positively ravaged by time. Two members were missing, but three originals were there. The acoustics were (as ever) terrible and the sound system the usual gig standard (rubbish of course - we are audiophiles, after all). The visuals were somewhat subdued compared with when I saw them in the early eighties. Benoît David sounded impressively close to Anderson's voice when singing, but not when talking. Steve Howe's guitar playing was superb as always.

All this is immaterial. The question is: did they sound like Yes? They certainly did. What's more, they played Heart of the Sunrise and Starship Trooper, among several memorable songs. I had a nostalgic and very satisfying evening.

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/YesApollo.jpg

WAD62
18-11-2011, 12:49
Glad you enjoyed it Martin, shame about the sound...how did you get on with Benoit's dancing & general mincing about?

It looks like Mr Squire was sporting his rather tasteless pearl necklace/choker again...:doh:

And it also looks like the same backdrop as at BSH, which is a shame because they had some nice visuals, should have been much larger IMHO

As you said they definitely sounded like Yes, and played most of my early favourites too...:)

I think the audience in Brum was very similar, a 50:50 split between senior executives (who'd dug out an old T-shirt for the night), and people who'd been 'tripping' for the last 35 years...;)

MartinT
18-11-2011, 14:16
After 10 mins of Benoit's 'mincing' I ignored him, watched Steve Howe's playing and just listened.

As for the backdrop, I don't think it warranted a larger screen as it was definitely sub-Pink Floyd standards of mesmerising visuals. The animation sequences seemed rudimentary.

Ruth laughed at the number of blokes in black leather jackets, blue jeans and some old T-shirt there were. Then we looked at me, and laughed some more!

Tim
18-11-2011, 16:56
Ruth laughed at the number of blokes in black leather jackets, blue jeans and some old T-shirt there were. Then we looked at me, and laughed some more!
You should go to a Porcupine Tree gig Martin, you will struggle to see many girls at all amongst the group of men who match your above description :lol:

MartinT
18-11-2011, 17:28
You should go to a Porcupine Tree gig Martin, you will struggle to see many girls at all amongst the group of men who match your above description :lol:

I'd love to see them live, Tim. However, what's with the lack of girls? I love a good sprinkling of rock chicks :)

michaelhigh
19-11-2011, 02:17
I saw Chris Isaac at Family Arena in St. Charles, MO last night. 1200 people came to a 7000-seater, and we were escorted down to the lower area to bring the appearance of the place being more filled. The show was ggod, good playing, Chris was hamming it up for his largely female audience and their male other-halves, and his hit was good. Good all around. I remember what concerts sound like now, as it had been over a year since I saw anything other than small club shows.

Tim
19-11-2011, 08:13
I love a good sprinkling of rock chicks :)
Me too, they just seem to attract a lot of guys - Steven Wilson often comments about it saying 'we need to change this demographic' . . . you should see the queue for the toilets! :eek:

Not really a gig as such, but I went to see Shappi Khorsandi last night, what a hoot that was.

jostber
19-11-2011, 15:57
Gordon Giltrap last night at the Lights Andover was a superb, intimate, concert where he played solo and displayed all his mastery of both acoustic and electric guitars. We were in row 2 and right in front of him so we could see all his fingering very clearly. GG had an easy way with the audience, regaled us with stories of his experiences and played some utterly compelling music. I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed at a concert, especially after a day's work. Most enjoyable.

Would like to check out more of his music. He contributes some fine articles to the Acoustic Magazine which I subscribe to. Might check out this one:

http://www.acousticmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=245&Itemid=44

MartinT
19-11-2011, 20:50
All his albums are good, Jostein, but I do particularly love Fear of the Dark, which is well worth getting a copy of, especially the LP if you're into vinyl.

jostber
20-11-2011, 08:42
All his albums are good, Jostein, but I do particularly love Fear of the Dark, which is well worth getting a copy of, especially the LP if you're into vinyl.

Thanks for this recommendation, and yes vinyl is my thing. :)

Tim
23-11-2011, 13:08
Elbow - Little Noise Sessions
St Giles Church, Hackney
Tues 22nd Nov

Well it was my birthday yesterday and what a treat this was for sure. Elbow were playing headline for the first of this years Little Noise Sessions in aid of Mencap. I managed to get to the front and was rewarded with the gig of the year without a doubt (apart from The Wall, which I don't really count, as it stands alone in time).

The set was introduced by Jo Whiley (goodness she's a tall girl!) and the packed Church was in for a night to remember, which was also Elbow's last night of their 2011 tour. What we got was a set heavily influenced by The Seldom Seen Kid, so there was lot's of singing and audience participation. A superb performance by the band, but especially by Guy Garvey - if you have ever seen Elbow, you will know what I mean, as he actually sings 'to you', as opposed to 'at you' and includes the audience as part of the show.

A top evening for sure and it's Gillian Welch tonight at the Apollo :)

aV5NeuDFe_g

2LrA8_ue5ng

flaxman
25-11-2011, 19:30
Not sure I should admit this, but I went to a sixties medley type night in glorious Swinedon last week. Watched The Dreamers (of Freddie), The Union Gap, Hermans Hermits and last but not least The Tremelos....surprisingly I quite enjoyed it.

MartinT
27-11-2011, 13:05
Well I'll go first on this. Rickie is clearly a woman with issues and has been through the wars. Some of her kookie behaviour could be attributed to this, but I'm fairly certain that she has always been a bit wayward. You can tell by listening to some of her earlier live tracks.

Nevertheless, I have been wanting to see her live for some 30 years and she didn't disappoint. Her lazy jazzy delivery remains, which I like but I can see that others wouldn't. Her backing group were superb, tight and very sympathetic to her timing lapses and pulling/pushing of notes. The trombonist was exceptional and we had a very good view of him.

Of course Rickie's strength lies in her songwriting, little vignettes on street life and small town America. To hear them performed was delightful and put a reality on the songs I know so well from the enonymous album and Pirates.

All in all a good night for me but Ruth wasn't so sure, except that she loved the band too.

By the way, it was great to meet Tim and Barry. And thanks for my birthday drink, Barry. Shame we didn't have more time to catch up.

Tim
27-11-2011, 15:07
Well I'm going to withhold commenting too much on the Rickie Lee Jones concert, as I thought it was a shocker! But I was good to say hi to a few faces :)

. . . so,

Beth Hart
The Brook, Southampton
Fri 26th Nov

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/hart2.jpg

I have never seen Beth live before, but I knew it was likely to be an exceptional performance - I wasn't disappointed one bit. It was a sold out gig, played to a packed, sweaty and clearly knowledgeable audience. Beth wears her heart on her sleeve and gives it all when she performs live. This ladies vocal range is quite astonishing, powerful but never uncontrolled. She is also very personable on stage, chatting openly about some of her life experiences (of which there have been many). Beth often got right up close as well, sitting on the edge of the stage making contact with the audience as The Brook has no safety barrier.

Backed by a three piece band, who are all accomplished musicians in their own right, especially the drummer (Todd Wolf). We were treated to a lot of material from her album with Joe Bonamassa (Don't Explain) as well as some of her well known songs and although her guitarist Jon Nichols is no match for Joe B, he certainly didn't disappoint. She also played my personal favourite 'Leave the Light On', so I was a very happy boy. A truly great night from a very capable blues singer and one of my gigs of the year. I was a little disappointed she didn't make it out after the show to mingle, but her husband Scott said she was worn out, which I totally understand as she really did give it her all. However, he did take items up to her for signing, which was thoughtful and I managed to blag a set-list and get a few of my CD's signed as well :)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/hart4.jpg

Here's the set-list in case anyone's interested?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/hart3.jpg

P.S. She's playing a one-off in London in February - still some tickets left. ;)
Beth Hart tickets >>> (http://www.o2shepherdsbushempire.co.uk/event/34616/beth-hart-tickets)

DanJennings
11-02-2012, 13:35
Lots of catching up to do....

On 18th November I saw The Darkness at Birmingham Academy.

Love em or hate em they put on a cracking show, tight performance and thoroughly entertaining great fun. I even excused them playing that Christmas song in November.

The day after (19th November) I saw Smashing Pumpkins also at Birmingham Academy.

Very good, if a little self indulgent and noodly at times, still packed a punch and played some old favourites towards the end. Also we randomly met the bass player from Pop Will Eat Itself in the audience, who was a thoroughly nice bloke.

Into 2012 now and we saw Fairport Convention at The Roses Theatre in Tewkesbury.

This is becoming a regular thing for me now, this is either the 3rd or 4th year running I've gone to Tewkesbury to see them in January. They had 2 new CDs to promote, but as one was a collection of fan selected songs rerecorded by the current lineup ('By Popular Request') and the other was a live recording of the Babbacombe Lee album from the previous tour, they pretty much played a bit of everything. They seem to get better every time I see them, so I shall definitely be getting my Cropredy tickets for the summer soon. We met them afterwards and as always they were kind, friendly and happy to sign anything you thrust into their hands.

Next I saw Half Man Half Biscuit at the Robin 2 in Bilston.

They were hardly going to top last time (during which while they were playing the opening chords of 'The Bastard Son Of Dean Friedman, Dean Friedman surprised the singer by popping on stage and singing a song that implied that singer Nigel Blackwells mother had had an affair with a gingerbread man and was therefore half a man and half a biscuit) but they had a bloody good go. Plenty of songs from their great new album too.

And we're nearly up to date. Last night I went to see Mastodon supported by Dillinger Escape Plan at the HMV Institute in Digbeth.

Dillinger Escape Plan for the uninitiated, play insane jazzy mathrock metal. Not for the faint hearted, but very entertaining, and an extremely energetic show, with a large mosh pit and members of the band jumping of speaker cabs etc.

Mastodon were note perfect, blisteringly heavy and absolutely amazing. If you get a chance to see this tour, you must.

snuffbox
11-02-2012, 14:11
Glad to see theres a section on this forum for the appreciation of real live music,which is my reall love.
Last Friday mywife and I went to the Cadogan Hall to see Martin Taylor with the Royal Philarmonic Orchestra playing a selection of Django Reinhardt.
He was accompanied with violinist Florin Niculesco,what a monster player.
He also had with him on violin Ola Kvernberg,guitarJon Larsen and bass Diego Imbert who plays with Bireli Lagrene.
Last gig before that was the amazing Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain and I think our next gig we're off to will be The Fishermans Friends next week or the week after.
We've got a visit to the theatre to see Katherine Kelly in She Stoops to Conquer which has had some great reviews.

I keep meaning to get down to our local(The Half Moon,South Harrow) where they have some great jazz combos, on Wednesdays we have what was the Dudley Moore Trio without Dud alternating with a guy called Frank Griffith and his combo,he's a terrific sax player and brings some great supporting players with him.
Google him and you'll see he's no slouch,well respected connected and a great musician.

jostber
12-02-2012, 11:55
Nick Lowe with band at Rockefeller in Oslo at the 7th of February. :thumbsup:

Next stop Wilco in Oslo at 26th of February.

sparrow
12-02-2012, 20:46
Dream Theater last wednesday in Glasgow..stunning show appart for the awful support act Periphery who were dire to say the least.

johnB
12-02-2012, 22:42
Black Keys and Band of Skulls at Nottingham last week.
The Hamster in Leicester next weekend.
Then 2 weeks until SXSW, 10 days in Austin with wall-to-wall live music. :)

john

Tim
12-02-2012, 22:45
Then 2 weeks until SXSW, 10 days in Austin with wall-to-wall live music. :)
You lucky, lucky bugger.... I love Austin and to be there when SXSW is on :eyebrows:

Enjoy :cool:

snuffbox
12-02-2012, 23:25
Thought the Hamsters knocked it on the head about a year ago

johnB
14-02-2012, 00:03
Farewell tour apparently.....

johnB
14-02-2012, 00:21
7th year at sxsw.....it's got to be done.

chelsea
14-02-2012, 00:49
morrissey

keiths
14-02-2012, 01:08
The Australian Pink Floyd Show...

About 5 years ago. Used to go to at least a couple of gigs every month, but then my "circumstances changed" as they say. Really miss it, but not a lot I can do about it really. Ho hum...

Tim
26-02-2012, 23:05
Shelby Lynne
Saturday 25th February 2012
Union Chapel, London

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/shelby1.jpg

This was a bit special and to be honest quite an emotional evening for all those present. Shelby played the entire gig solo, just her and a guitar to a very well behaved and respectful audience in the wonderful setting of Union Chapel. The sound was perfect and Shelby's voice was literally spellbinding at times. I have seen many female vocalists including the likes of Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss and k.d. lang but last night Shelby proved she is right up there with the very best. She openly talked about some of the more personal elements of her past, which I have not heard her do before and this really drew the audience in, as I doubt there was anyone in the room that doesn't know her history. Her performance of 'Heaven's Only Days Down The Road' was particularly poignant and prompted rousing applause and you could clearly see Shelby was moved. This song refers to when Shelby was 17 and her father shot her mother on the driveway in front of Shelby and her sister (Alison Moorer), before turning the gun on himself and committing suicide.

The show lasted around 1¾ hours and comprised a large chunk of her new album Revelation Road, together with some favourites from her back catalogue. I have seen Shelby before but last night was something of a one off I think, I got the feeling she has laid a few demons to rest and is revealing the real Shelby Lynne.

B6YK85c0dCI

Rare Bird
27-02-2012, 13:18
Yesterday afternoon:
Birmingham Symphony Hall - Lee Mead with special guest Louise Dearman

The wife loves him, i was personally intrested in the drummer/musical director (Mason Neely) he had a superb sounding retro drum kit 2x floor tom tom's :eyebrows:, the sound of a properly mic up drum kit is important to me & especially how old drum kits sound compared to newer ones.. The Symphony Hall is one spectacular looking place inside that's for sure.

Tim
07-05-2012, 13:19
Ian Anderson
Southampton Guildhall
Sunday 6th May 2012

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RlajeWalL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This was a gig I wasn't sure about going to initially, as I thought Thick as a Brick was an OK album, but not something I play often. I bought the tickets prior to hearing TAAB2 and I went without any expectations.

The show was broken into two parts, the first half started bang on time at 7.30pm with some rather dull onstage antics by men in old fashioned brown work coats and flat caps, ala Ronnie Barker Open all Hours. This turned out to be the band. I'm not really into theatrics at a rock concert, so I could have done without this. Anyway, first half was TAAB parts 1 & 2 with some more ridiculous theatrics in between the two parts. I found my mind drifting towards the end of the first half and got a little bored TBH.

After a 20 minute break we had TAAB2 in its entirety which was very good and made the first half of the show seem rather dated. Ian has a very good band with a great lead guitar, who I saw with Ian a few years ago on acoustic guitar... Florian Ophale. Florian has been around for a few years now and has worked with Greg Lake amongst others. His flamenco guitar work is excellent, but we didn't have any of that tonight unfortunately. We did get a lot of excellent riffs on a Gibson Les Paul however and Florian's sound made the night for me. Ian's voice was quite muted in parts and difficult to understand, but that may have been my seat as I was right at the front and bang in the centre, so I didn't get a lot coming from the PA.

All in all a very enjoyable night, but I would have preferred a show of TAAB2 with some of Ian and Tull's work padding it out, instead of TAAB.

Florian Ophale (I doubt you will get anything like this, but I add it just for interest).

Y4Xj_pFZmF0

northwest
07-05-2012, 13:35
Thanks for that. I have been listening to TAAB2 myself lately and your review has convinced me not to go.
I am also extremely disappointed that this album was not released on Vinyl. Normally I am ambivialent about these things but Thick as a Brick holds terrific memories for me (her name was Janice:rolleyes:) so I did actually want this album, the sequel, to be vinyl too. Sad, I know. :)

Wakefield Turntables
07-05-2012, 16:32
Blaze bayley at the snooty fox in Wakefield. £6 entry, the band played a solid 2 hours, I then bought his CD for £12, even after spending £18, the band still worked for less than minimum wage :eek: Very underated in the metal genre of music, had a great time. Check him out.

Simon
11-05-2012, 16:10
Teatro Miela, northeast corner of Italy bordering on Slovenia, May 10th.

Trieste, part little Vienna-on-sea, part sombre Balkans tribal metropolis, a fittingly incongruous setting for the passionate brew of melody and racket performed by the erstwhile Van Der Graaf Generator frontman.
Probably 3-400 or so in a tightly-packed provincial theatre, composed largely of the, ahem, temporally challenged. Pawn Hearts went no. 1 here in 1973...
A highly appreciative audience nonetheless, richly deserved by Hammill.
I personally prefer his grandeloquence and raw poetic expressionism when punked up a little in songs like Central Hotel and Amnesiac but a great evening's music all the same. We were also treated to a couple from the new album Consequences.
Show lasted an intense hour and a half, spot on, plus encore. At 20 euro, excellent value.

Cap duly doffed to one of prog's most interesting mavericks. Still going strong? Absolutely.

dr.jones
16-05-2012, 07:41
Went to the MEN to see Kasabian in Nov (I think) after an impulse buy of a "cheap" pair of tickets for me and the mrs.
Think we paid about £40 for 2 tickets and ended up in some cracking seats almost on the stage!! We don't get a babysitter often so we made a night of it and went round the xmas markets beforehand then to the gig and had a great night.

Sonority
16-05-2012, 20:15
Well this time last night Steve Wilson was on stage doing the final date in the Grace For Drowning tour.
What a group of talent was gathered on that stage.
Utterly fantastic night musically.

Nothing, but nothing like Storm Corrosion it has to be said :-)

We now also know precisely which way his new project is going.
Luminol showed us exactly what he has plans for there.
20 minutes of very progressive rock. Bit of polishing to be done, but for a first time live.. wow.

Tim
16-05-2012, 20:26
Well this time last night Steve Wilson was on stage doing the final date in the Grace For Drowning tour.
What a group of talent was gathered on that stage.
Utterly fantastic night musically.
What about Nick Beggs too on the Chapman Stick :)

Welder
20-05-2012, 10:38
http://www.bathabbey.org/music/organ-recitals

I've been to few of these recently and no, your stereo cant do it. ;)

MartinT
02-06-2012, 23:08
Norah Jones, Festival Hall, Saturday 2nd June

Her smokey honey voice was in superb form, every bit as good live as on her recordings. She has a new band, all very competent, and played most of Little Broken Hearts plus some earlier material. She also turned her hand to acoustic and electric guitars as well as the more familiar keyboards. But the voice is to die for. I enjoyed this concert so much more than some other recent ones I've been to and really wanted more at the end. Simply fab.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/mast_image_landscape/mastimages/NJ2.jpg

TCats
03-06-2012, 11:14
Acoustic Music Festival, Uttoxeter Race Course great three days. The Move; The Animals; Katrina; Glen Tilbrook; Mike Peters Joan Armatrading any many others. http://www.acousticfestival.co.uk/

Tim
05-06-2012, 12:05
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Hammersmith Apollo
Sunday 3rd June 2012.
Ticket: £40.00 (+ fees)
Rating: 10/10

This was the first time I have ever seen any variant of Lynyrd Skynyrd, despite having tickets to see them at Knebworth Festival in 1976. My boss at the time wouldn't let me have the day off, so I never got to see them and the ticket went in the bin. After the death of the bands core in 1977 I have not really paid them much attention, apart from still playing their early music and I've not bought an album since Street Survivors.

I had no preconceptions prior to this show and did wonder when I bought my ticket, if I was going to be wasting my time...... how wrong was I! What I got on Sunday was an absolutely stonking rock show, the like you don't often witness these days, performed by some very professional and entertaining musicians, with the emphasis being on the music and a really gutsy performance - Southern Rock at its very, very best.

The Apollo was packed to the gunnels on Sunday with an extremely varied audience, which in itself was very interesting and illustrated that the band has not only retained its aging and original loyal fan-base, but also has a very young one and unusually at a rock concert of this type, a female one too. We had lots of cowboys hats, long grey beards, confederate flags and biker style jackets - the audience was as colourful as the band and went a long way to adding an extra dimension to the nights entertainment.

Despite only Gary Rossington remaining from the original band, you really did get the feeling you were watching a Lynyrd Skynyrd show. Difficult for me to judge I know, but I have seen countless videos of the band over the years and this just worked, with Johnny Van Zant really pulling off a performance that I'm sure brother Ronnie would have been immensely proud of. What stood out for me was the energy the band produced on stage. The four guitars all had wireless control systems, which allowed them to be very mobile around the stage and they made the most of this, getting up close and personal to a very appreciative audience. They were loud, flamboyant and appeared completely comfortable amongst themselves and their adoring fans. Johnny was also very talkative between songs and adept at stirring up the crowd, I don't think anyone in there didn't have the biggest grin on their face for the entire show - the band included. We had a great spread of music too, with a good smattering of Skynyrd crowd pleasers.

Setlist:
Workin' For MCA
I Ain't The One
Skynyrd Nation
What's Your Name
Down South Jukin'
That Smell
I Know A Little
Saturday Night Special
Simple Man
Gimme Back My Bullets
Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
The Needle And The Spoon
Tuesday's Gone
Gimme Three Steps
Call Me The Breeze
(J.J. Cale cover)
Sweet Home Alabama

Encore:
Free Bird

Toward the end of the show the backdrop became a pseudo Confederate flag and the entire room sang along to Sweet Home Alabama, which was very moving and uplifting. They left the stage to one of the biggest roars I have experienced at a rock concert, which continued until some torch lights flickered in the dark, signalling the bands return. Johnny marched to the front of the stage and yelled they had time to play one more song and asked what that song was going to be..... I swear every single person in the Apollo screamed at the top of their voice "Free Bird", the roar when the first bars played and an American Eagle appeared on the backdrop was deafening.

I have become quite critical over the years as I go to a lot of gigs and will walk out if the artists are not giving it their all. I have stated before that the majority of the gigs I go to are good, some (not many) are poor, a few are very good and every now and then you get treated to an exceptional performance - this night falls firmly into that category and I'll be on the lookout to see them again if at all possible - a truly fantastic live band.

I don't take a camera to gigs, but I had to take a couple of shots of this night with my phone.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/skynryd1.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/skynryd2.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/skynryd3.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/skynryd4.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/skynryd8.jpg

Macca
05-06-2012, 12:39
Brilliant write up - I'm a big LS fan, wish I had been there.

Tim
05-06-2012, 12:48
Brilliant write up
Thanks Martin, I thought it deserved a bit of effort on my part as the show was so good. I have been playing LS all day today too - its a Southern Rock day for me :)

MartinT
31-10-2012, 07:18
This is the third time I have seen her perform and she just delivers in her own way, adapting to a large variety of musical styles. Her piano playing gets better and she is the master of off-beat and syncopated styles. I'm not sure about music from the new album, preferring her upbeat jazzy numbers to be honest. Her voice remains smoky and sultry, just perfect, and she spoke to the audience in her usual personable manner.

Two negatives about last night: the audience was a bit flat and took some time to warm to her; the film footage was bizarrely inappropriate and frankly distracting. I mean, clips from Stingray were used for one of the songs! Once I learned to avoid looking at the screen all was well again, but the stage director should be given a good talking to. She doesn't need that crap!

So a mixed evening but I came away still admiring her confident skills.

Tim
31-10-2012, 20:28
Glad you had a good (ish) night Martin. As you know I was in two minds about this one and the deal was sealed when I saw her on Jools Holland and decided against it. I reckon I made the right choice - I think I will keep her for at home, as I'm not sure she would do it for me live based on her JH appearance.

DanJennings
01-11-2012, 19:01
Wow, I'm miles out of date with this thread.... Since I last posted in February I've seen:

Chris Wood at the Red Lion Folk Club
Presidents Of The USA at the Wulfrun
Korn at Birmingham Academy
Steel Panther at Birmingham Academy
Ian Anderson at Symphony Hall
Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts at the Kitchen Garden Cafe
Guns N Roses at the NEC
Cropredy festival
Martin Simpson at the Red Lion Folk Club
Axewound at the Slade Rooms
Terrorvision at the Slade Rooms
Romeo Must Die at Scruffy Murphys
Alice Cooper & Ugly Kid Joe at Wolverhampton Civic
and
Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts at Birmingham Town Hall with The Old Dance School and Lady Maisery.

This was amazing, Gilmore and Roberts played their new album in its entirety, and it's fantastic.

9c7h-izdDo8

Lady Maisery were a revelation too, an all-female trio with occasional instrumentation (harp, violin, accordian and weird banjo/sitar hybrid) but it was mostly all about vocal harmonies, and indeed several songs were a cappella. Brilliant stuff.

7EZeccqe4zQ

Met all the bands, and they were all really nice people. All in all, great night.

WAD62
26-11-2012, 11:35
A bit like Dan, I've not been posting here of late, in fact for nearly a year since Mogwai last November...so here we go :eyebrows:

All Tomorrows Parties (Nightmare before Christmas) @ Butlins Minehead, 09/12/11 to 11/12/11

Holy F*ck
Oxes
Simian Mobile Disco
Les Savy Fav
Battles
Flying Lotus
Gary Numan
Walls
Caribou (Caribou Vibration Ensemble)
Orchestra Of Spheres
Omar Souleyman
The Ex with Getatchew Mekurya
Four Tet
Pharoe Sanders
Sun Ra Arkestra

Quantic Soul Orchestra @ Hare & Hounds, Brum 22/12/11

Wild Flag @ Electric Ballroom Camden, 01/02/12

Black Keys @ Alexandra Palace London, 12/02/12

Souvaris @ Nottingham Contemporary, 17/02/12

The War On Drugs @ Electric Ballroom Camden, 28/02/12

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion @ Scala, London 08/03/12

Spiritualized @ Hackney Empire, 19/03/12

PWEI @ Electric Ballroom Camden, 23/03/12

Peter Hook & The Light (Unknown Pleasures) @ HMV Institute/Library Brum, 18/05/12

Lou Reed @ Leamington Assembly, 09/08/12

The Cult & Mission @ O2 Academy Brum, 15/09/12

Ginger Baker's Jazz Confusion @ Warwick Arts Centre, 20/09/12

Hidden Orchestra @ Nottingham Contemporary, 28/09/12

Dark Side of the Wall (PF tribute) @ Albany Social Club Coventry, 06/10/12

Walter Trout @ Leamington Assembly, 14/10/12

Grizzly Bear @ Warwick Arts Center, 21/10/12

Efterklang & Northern Symphonia @ Warwick Arts Centre, 27/10/12

Spiritualized...again! @ Warwick Arts Centre, 04/11/12

Peter Hook & The Light (Unknown Pleasures)...again! @ Kasbah Coventry, 16/11/12

Mulatu Astastke @ Warwick Arts Centre, 22/11/12

Mr Scruff @ Warwick Arts Centre, 24/11/12

Rodrigo y Gabriela @ HMV Institute Brum, 25/11/12

Coming Up...

Black Keys (again!) & Maccabees @ NIA Birmingham 09/12/12

...bit of a quiet Summer, due to rubbish weather and indecision, but things are picking up of late, particularly as they've employed a new 'booker' at my local Warwick Arts Centre.

:cool:

chelsea
26-11-2012, 11:38
Hugh corwell-as well as his doing his new album he did all of no more hereoes.

In a small venue of around 300.
Very good night out.

DanJennings
26-11-2012, 18:54
Slightly smaller catchup this time:

Dave Pegg's 65th Birthday Bash (02/11/12 Birmingham Town Hall)
The Birthday celebrations of Fairport Convention's bass player Dave Pegg, featuring sets from The Dylan Project, Fairport Convention, some covers from Dave, and a few musical interludes from various guests including an audience participation 'Strawkestra' involving playing music with a drinking straw clamped into your elbow. A good fun night!

Jim Moray (03.11.12 MAC Birmingham)
An intimate solo set from Jim, a real treat, and a lovely bloke to chat to afterwards

The Albion Band (16.11.12 Huntingdon Hall Worcester)
This is the YOUNG Albion Band, featuring Ashley Hutching's son Blair Dunlop, and Katriona Gilmore, who I think I might be going to see too often (she comes over and greets me by name these days!) They were fantastic by the way, a slightly heavier take on folk rock.

Not much on youtube, but here they are doing a great cover of Richard Thompson's 'Roll Over Vaughan Willams'

bp9SLTMEfFU

johnB
26-11-2012, 19:21
Have probably seen more live music this year than any of my 51 years, despite there being no Glastonbury.

Three festivals:

SXSW in Austin: highlights were Alejandro Escovedo supported by Springsteen, Joe Ely and Garland Jeffreys.

Hop farm Kent: many highlights including Patti smith Band and Peter Gabriel.

Summer Sundae Weekender: highlights were Death in Vegas (loud!) and Public Image Ltd.

Plus probably a band every 2 weeks.....highlights definately Ryan Adams solo, Black Keys, Ian McClagan, Beach Boys.

Last week The Vaccines (v good), and Stiff Little Fingers.

Next up is Mark Lanagan band next week in the smoke.

Floyddroid
02-12-2012, 21:33
Ultravox at The Sage Gateshead. magic.:):)

Rare Bird
03-12-2012, 20:27
I don't know what ive done to deserve this life but ive got to got take the wife see Human league tomorrow night Sheffield City Hall :steam:

MartinT
04-12-2012, 10:45
LOL - I can just see you now, Andr'e, with a full face on :eek:

Sonority
04-12-2012, 10:59
Hmm - well I'm finishing my gig list for the year on a high, if not exactly the place I expected.

Nearly a 3 hour drive to London ending in the rush hour - then a tube to Charring Cross, and a short walk to "HEAVEN" where, at long last I get to see Archive play live.
Have to admit I am very much looking forward to it, if not the drive.

Rare Bird
05-12-2012, 00:54
LOL - I can just see you now, Andr'e, with a full face on :eek:

The D+B audiotechnik PA System sounded fantastic.

johnB
05-12-2012, 01:45
Tuesday night at Kentish Town Forum aka Town & Country Club....Mark Lanagan Band,,,,nice.

Sandro
05-12-2012, 07:35
2 weeks ago I saw a great Cowboy Junkies' gig in Vicenza's new theatre.
Here am I with Margo Timmins after the concert !

http://imageshack.us/a/img132/2217/margome.jpg

Barry
05-12-2012, 20:38
2 weeks ago I saw a great Cowboy Junkies' gig in Vicenza's new theatre.
Here am I with Margo Timmins after the concert !

http://imageshack.us/a/img132/2217/margome.jpg

Whoa - lucky you Sandro!

I love Cowboy Junkies, especially Margo Timmins's voice. :)

DanJennings
15-12-2012, 10:35
catchup time again:

Rob Zombie & Marilyn Manson (Twins Of Evil Tour) at the NIA - 29.11.12

Marilyn Manson supported, and I used to be a fan years ago, but he was a bit of a let down, focussed quite a bit on the weaker material, a lacklustre performance, and very poor sound for the first half of his set. He was OK, but if I had gone purely to see him I would've been very annoyed.
Rob Zombie on the other hand was fantastic, perfect sound, an elaborate and spectacular stage show - there was something going on wherever you looked, huge video screens, dancing monsters, pyrotechnics, you name it.

Ben Folds Five at Birmingham Academy 03.12.12

Great show, played for 2 and a half hours straight, a great mix of old and new tracks, good sound, much better than when I saw Ben Folds play a solo show and couldn't hear a damn thing over 2 girls chatting next to me.

Rebellion Xmas 2012 - Birmingham Ballroom 08.12.12

An all day punk show featuring among others: Rancid, Cock sparrer, UK Subs, Anti Nowhere League, Drongo's For Europe, The Exploited, Street Dogs, Goldblade and Vice Squad. Brilliant show, but after about 13 hours of standing up and listening to punk music in the front row, my legs were knackered and so were my ears!

Devin Townsend Project & Fear Factory at Wulfrum Hall Wolverhampton 13.12.12

I can't think of a way this night could have been more perfect! Fear Factory were brilliant, played a real mix of stuff, old and new, but Devin Townsend was another thing entirely. Challenging metal music full of joy and goofy and self deprecating humour, IMO Devin Townsend is the Frank Zappa of heavy metal. I was lucky enough to meet Devin Townsend after the show:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/Facebook/gigs%20and%20stuff/201516_10151367195126974_411603106_o.jpg

After the show we went to a Gary Numan themed pub across the road called Numa bar, for a quick drink and to discuss how great the night had been. To our surprise, the two main members of Fear Factory (the singer, Burton C Bell & Dino Cazares the guitarist) walked in the door. We were lucky enough to meet them and get our stuff signed:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/Facebook/gigs%20and%20stuff/479022_10151367195251974_923881172_o.jpg
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/Facebook/gigs%20and%20stuff/241844_10151367195306974_764672741_o.jpg
After that, Burton C Bell got on the karaoke to sing 'Eye Of The Tiger' and Gary Numan's 'Cars' much to the delight of everyone. Brilliant night.

Stratmangler
22-12-2012, 02:05
Thunder at the Manchester Academy on Friday night 21/12/12.
Excellent gig :D

slate
22-12-2012, 23:55
Blimey I forgot to report in... back 15 October Ultravox in http://www.amagerbio.dk/

Solid as always. The oldies with a handfull of their new tunes added

Tim
26-01-2013, 16:15
Cowboy Junkies
Barbican Centre, London
Friday 25th Jan 2013

http://www.bluedive.co.uk/images/timmins.jpg
Margo Timmins at the Barbican last night, clutching some red roses a member of the audience gave her.

Well what a way to open my 2013 gig calendar - simply fantastic.

Cowboy Junkies have been a favourite band of mine since seeing Natural Born Killers in 94' and buying the film soundtrack. They performed a cover of the Lou Reed (Velvet Underground) Sweet Jane song for the film and I was hooked on them from that moment. Not to everyone's taste I know and they have been described as country music on valium, as they have a very laid-back sound which is uniquely an unmistakably Cowboy Junkies. Anyway, the show started at 8.00 and we got a selection of songs from the new Nomad Series (4 albums) for around 60 minutes, a short break then all the old favourites, this included opening the second set with Sweet Jane, which met with loud approval from the crowd. They also played requests from people who had emailed or left messages on their website - the show went on till around 10.30~40 (forgot to check watch) and the full house just lapped it up.

The evening was fantastic, but what really made the event stand out was the sound quality - if anyone thinks all live shows sound shit (which some do), then they should have been in the Barbican last night. It was truly glorious, every note and chord, every pick at the guitar, every beat of a drum and every word sung by Margo Timmins was pitch perfect and clearly heard. It was astonishingly good and I know being at the Barbican clearly helps, but nonetheless the sound was immaculate last night.

I also got a chance to meet Margo and shake her hand after the gig, as she came out to spend some time with fans and sign CD's - what a night :D

Oh, as they are a Canadian band and as stated by Margo, "Every Canadian band should play at least one Neil Young song", then ended their two song encore with a brilliantly timed cover of Don't Let it Bring You Down.

I have quite a few gigs booked for 2013 already, but TBH its going to be very hard to top last night :scratch:

I'm pretty sure this is the set-list, but I'm not 100%

Wrong Piano
Sit Sadly by Your Side
Stranger Here
See You Around
Square Room
3rd Crusade
Late Night Radio
Damaged from the Start
Fairytale
INTERVAL
Sweet Jane
Common Disaster
Cheap is How I Feel
Spiral Down (this was awesome......)
Working on a Building
Lay it Down
A Horse in the Country
Five Room Love Story
My Little Basquiat
Good Friday
ENCORE
Blue Moon
Don't Let it Bring You Down

Z-A
28-01-2013, 00:15
Agreed, great show, as always..

PaulStewart
11-02-2013, 21:23
I was at the Jamaican High Commission last Wednesday, to film their Bob Marley 68 th birthday celebration, 9 acts recorded by Steve Rispin of Liscome Park Studios soon as I get the sound track I will edit the video and post it on Musicosis. What a great night out, the cream of talent from Jamaica, of Jamaican extraction or just lovers of Bob Marley. Each gave their own interpretation of his music. I loved it.

guyhayton
11-02-2013, 22:19
For me it was Barb Jungr on Saturday 9th February

Wonderful night, Barb is on tour promoting her new album Stockport to Memphis (http://www.naimlabel.com/recording-stockport-to-memphis.aspx). Both of us originally coming from Stockport, it was rude not to go and see her perform at the art deco wonder, the Stockport Plaza (http://www.stockportplaza.co.uk/about-the-plaza/gallery/).

Tremendous, and I was able to meet Barb at the end of the gig.

Wakefield Turntables
12-02-2013, 08:55
I went to see Eli scarecrow at the snooty fox in Wakefield. Check out ROBOTRON it's the funniest thing I have ever seen at a gig.

Sonority
12-02-2013, 13:49
Was at the Tate for the opening show of Kraftwerk last Wednesday which was a good night out.
Back there tomorrow to see The Mix :)

Stratmangler
23-02-2013, 00:33
Not long since returned from seeing the Antonio Forcione Trio performing at The Band On The Wall in Manchester.
A excellent performance by a superb band, and the sound was amazing too :D

Thoroughly recommended :cool:

The Grand Wazoo
23-02-2013, 00:46
I went to see Justin Currie in Kendal on Thursday night. What an excellent gig it was.
A great story from the guy who played the support slot....

"We were on our way here to the gig & we stopped by a river to have a cup of coffee & so on. There was a guy there with a bag full of puppies and, thinking the worst, we engaged him in conversation. When we asked him about the puppies he told us he was going to chuck them in the river. We spent ages trying to persuade him to save the poor little cute things and eventually, we came up with a plan.
.....so tonight, all sales of my CDs in the foyer, will go towards looking after those poor little pups!"

I reckon Justin Currie is one of the UK's best songwriters and is criminally under-rated.

dmcEnWPqtgQ

Tim
23-02-2013, 09:01
Nice one Chris, I have yet to see Justin, but he's on my hit list ;)
I saw new kid on the block Robert Vincent from Liverpool last night, could be someone you would like Chris?

Robert Vincent
The Railway - Winchester
Friday 22nd Feb 2013

Great singer songwriter currently touring his début album Life in Easy Steps

yc0J_KePUnA

The album is definitely worth a listen, although last night it was just him and a guitar which I think I might prefer.

http://open.spotify.com/album/2UDhBswmPdluyLBV3XBEX2

The Grand Wazoo
23-02-2013, 11:54
Funny thing Tim, but Robert Vincent is supporting Justin Currie on some of his gigs for this tour. Not the Kendal one we went to though.
Playing his album now, it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the tip.

Sonority
05-03-2013, 08:36
Steve Wilson @ the RFH performing the Raven in its entirety along with loads from Grace (all the great Tolkienesque ones ;) )
In thirty years of gig going this one takes the crown musically.
Six guys at the very top of their tree, all enjoying what they are doing and so obviously performing their hearts out.
Marco is akin to a nuclear reactor behind the drums, with tendencies to occasional explosive moments, astonishingly good. I need to see & hear this again.
Rock royalty in the audience, even his mom..

Rothchild
06-03-2013, 20:17
Richard Hawley, a week ago last Friday

To be fair to him I wasn't well and was going down with a nasty dose of cold but overall I rated it as a bit meh, not very exciting and most of his songs are the same (it was a bit like a less rocking Dinosaur Jr with more women in the audience!)

I'm going to see Jacqui and Geoff this Friday: http://jacquiandgeoff.bandcamp.com/

And despite not having the 6Music hype machine behind them I expect to have at least as much, if not more fun and they've got some really great tunes.

sparrow
06-03-2013, 21:27
The Stranglers last Friday.....third time I've seen em and this gig was the best. Great setlist (mostly older material) and the sound mix was superb. And this time there was no fighting among the crowd.

johnB
06-03-2013, 23:27
Richard Thompson 10 days ago at Cambridge.

More excitement though for SXSW in Austin from this Saturday......8th visit...normally get to see 40-50 bands across the week.

Clothears
10-03-2013, 22:46
Richard Thompson - Salford Lowry Theatre - Tonight!

Bloody brilliant as per usual, the band even did a version of "Hey Joe" to demonstrate their power trio prowess.

Come back soon Richard.

simon e
21-03-2013, 20:18
Beth Orton at The Olympia in Dublin.
Superb gig and even got a signed copy of her las test album.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Tim
22-03-2013, 11:06
Beth Orton at The Olympia in Dublin.
I saw Beth Orton on Tuesday actually Simon, she was support for Ryan Adams at the Royal Albert Hall. I have seen her before solo and this time she had a band. I like her a lot, but this was not her best performance, her voice was rubbish TBH. She kept losing key and just didn't get into it at all, I got the impression she had a cold or some problems with her voice? - very disappointing as I know she can be superb.

simon e
22-03-2013, 18:10
This was my first time to see her. You could tell she was getting over a cold and seemed quite nervous the first half of the show. But then she settled into it and was chatting with the audience and having fun. But the olympia is a much smaller venue than the Albert Hall.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Tim
22-03-2013, 18:38
You could tell she was getting over a cold and seemed quite nervous the first half of the show.
Ah, that makes sense, it wasn't just that night then. Last time I saw her she was pregnant and sat on a stool all night and was very relaxed - her performance that night was really superb - maybe she knew she wasn't giving it her best at the Albert Hall and coupled with the venue and occasion, it got to her a little. It was a sold out house and I reckon pretty much everyone was in their seats for her slot too.

Never mind and it won't stop me from seeing her again :)

Mothman
22-03-2013, 22:00
Giles Headley & The Aviators with Christophe Pélissié - South Street Arts, Reading

Went to this blind last night not being familiar with the artist but have to say I was really impressed. My taste is usually for the rockier side of blues rather than the pure delta stuff but last night definitely won me over. Giles Hedley came across as a charming highly talented muscian with a great band. Will definitely be seeking them out again :)

MartinT
24-03-2013, 19:13
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8585931365_593e6c5beb.jpg

Tina was in excellent form and the gorgeous venue was perfect for this rather small and intimate acoustic set. Displaying the vocal control that I normally equate with Sarah McLachlan (high praise), but greater range and power, she was confident and easy with the audience and sang many favourites, all of which were instantly recognisable despite being stripped down to bare essentials. I have always liked her since her early Zero 7 days, but I must say that she was even more impressive live than I had imagined. Supporting her on stage was Helgi Jonsson. The time passed quickly and soon she had finished. I couldn't resist a cheeky vinyl purchase (they were selling for a bargain £15) and went home cold but happy.

Tim, Alex (Alex_UK) and his friend Steve, and Rich (Mothman), as well as my partner Ruth and myself, enjoyed a pre-gig bite and a drink at The White Swan beforehand.

An overall very enjoyable evening. Sorry for the poor photo in near darkness, perhaps Tim, gigmeister that he is, got a better shot?

Alex_UK
24-03-2013, 19:52
What a fantastic night - great to meet Tim and Rich and Ruth and to see Martin again - Tina was absolutely superb - held us all in the palm of her hand with her spellbindig stage presence and charisma - and didn't miss a note all evening. Only 2 or 3 new songs - this wasn't a promotional gig for the new(ish) album, but a treat for her fans I felt - and a treat it really was.

Worth mentioning the support act, too - Paper Aeroplanes - looking forward to checking out their CDs and may catch them on their own tour if I can manage it.

A top evening all round. :)

Marco
24-03-2013, 19:55
Glad you guys got there and back safely and had a good time! :cool:

Marco.

pjdowns
24-03-2013, 20:00
Went to the O2 and saw The Script on 21st March... They were really excellent!

They were supported by The Original Rudeboys, another group from Ireland who were also pretty damn good.. A fusion between a kind of Folk/Rap sound with a lot of acoustic guitar.. Will be going out to get their album soon as poss :)

Mothman
24-03-2013, 23:12
I can only echo what Martin & Alex have said that the Tina Dico gig last night was excellent. What a voice and the sound in Union Chapel was fantastic, absolutely perfect for an intimate acoustic gig.

It was great meeting Martin & Ruth, Tim, Steve and also Alex who deserves special thanks for first drawing Tina to my attention. Judging by last nights performance it won't be the last time I see her live :)

Tim
25-03-2013, 08:44
Tim, Alex (Alex_UK) and his friend Steve, and Rich (Mothman), as well as my partner Ruth and myself, enjoyed a pre-gig bite and a drink at The White Swan beforehand.

An overall very enjoyable evening. Sorry for the poor photo in near darkness, perhaps Tim, gigmeister that he is, got a better shot?
Sorry, no pics from me - its extremely rare for me to take pictures at a concert as I never take a camera ;)

Great night though and good to meet some fellow members and glad folk enjoyed Union Chapel, I think its a superb venue - lets hope it stays as a music venue.

Worth mentioning the support act, too - Paper Aeroplanes - looking forward to checking out their CDs and may catch them on their own tour if I can manage it.
+1

Mothman
25-03-2013, 12:32
Not a great vid but for me this was one of the stand out moments from the gig, but you probably needed to be there to appreciate it.

V6uZnSDfy8g

Better vid, though probably not my favorite song of the night

Uwt5Sa1D0tA

Tim
28-03-2013, 10:54
Joe Bonamassa - 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire
March 27th

This was day 2 of Joe's 4 sold out London gigs in which he does a totally different show each night. The first was the Borderline and last night at the Empire it was blues night :) I have seen Joe live 6 times and this was the best I have seen him, I guess because it was blues which is my preference for him.

There was a cut down stage, lead, bass, drums, keys and a 3 horn section (sax, trumpet and trombone) with a minimal amount of gear, but the sound was superb. After lining up in the freezing cold for 2 hours I got a spot at the front and it was well worth it for sure. Joe had us in the palm of his hands for 1h 50m, playing songs I had not heard for a few years and some new to me live as well. All four shows are being recorded for a DVD too, so there was minimal chat between songs, they just got on with it played some damn fine music. An really outstanding show and what a great crowd there too, with a lot from the US who have flown over especially to see all 4 shows - some die hard Joe fans for sure.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/joe02_zps8b4e083f.jpg

There are some great videos on YouTube and I'm pretty sure this was recorded by the guy stood next to me, who was using a small GoPro camera which out of its case is the size of a matchbox - pretty impressive results.

Wnj9hLUVFX0

This is great video too from his Tuesday Borderline show.

yVwt_XJVLmA

Roll on Saturday when I see him again at the Albert Hall for the finale :D

Clothears
28-03-2013, 19:23
I saw Joe Bonamassa once a few years back at the Academy 1 in Manchester, and very good he was too. A terrific night was had by all.

Since then, despite touring several times in the UK, he's not been near us since. Bearing in mind we are Englands second city, and not exactly short of venues, I find it strange that he can't slot in a Manchester date.

Tim
28-03-2013, 19:35
I find it strange that he can't slot in a Manchester date.
I may be wrong, but I get the impression Joe might pick area's he likes, or at least makes it known to his tour manager? I have seen him 3 times in my area, the first many years back when he was an fat overweight, jean wearing long haired kid in a club with 60 people (Mr Kyps), which he still mentions now. He's been to the BIC in Bournemouth twice since the Kyps gig and he's coming back again in Sept this year to Bournemouth. So we seem to be lucky and it does seem strange that he doesn't get back to your area, as he is on the road an awful lot :scratch:

DanJennings
30-03-2013, 08:47
Catchup time again!

The Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain - 17th December @ Symphony Hall Birmingham
Fairport Convention - 31st January @ Tewkesbury Roses
High On Fire - 1st February @ Birmingham Academy 2
Deftones - 19th February @ Birmingham Academy
Richard Thompson - 21st February @ Symphony Hall Birmingham
Space - 14th March @ Birmingham Academy 3
Boothby Graffoe - 21st March @ Birmingham Glee Club
The Defiled, Gojira, and Ghost (Jagermeister Tour) - 23rd March @ Birmingham Academy
Everclear - 29th March @ Birmingham Academy 2

A fairly diverse bunch I'm sure you'll agree!
definite highlights for me were Ghost (a satanic rock band where the singer dresses up as an evil pope.) Boothby Graffoe, (a musical standup praised by both Richard Thompson and Stewart Lee), Deftones (probably the best sound I have ever experienced at a metal show, it was breathtaking) and Space (pure nostalgia and great fun)

Mothman
18-04-2013, 07:29
By chance I found ou two very usefull things on Tuesday night, first that unbeknowns to me Newbury actually has a monthly Rock & Blues club that meets in a small room at the back of the local snooker hall, and secondly that Sinnerboy, a Rory Gallagher tribute band were to play there the following night. I had heard of Sinnerboy previously and new that they had a good reputation but had never actualy seen them before.

Well all I can say, is that if you are a fan of the great mans music and Sinnerboy are playing near you then GO, as I don't think you will be dissapointed. Last nights set was over 2 hours and just rocked and they only stopped because of the usual venue curfew. Hard to fault and Highly recommended!!

pjdowns
26-04-2013, 14:57
I saw The Script at the O2 last month and I was pretty impressed.

Due to Danny being a coach on the Voice, I was a little concerned it'd be like seeing the Danny show as apposed to the band but I was very mistaken, he (and the whole band) were very humble throughout.

The surprise of the day was the supporting band 'The Original Rude Boys', another Irish band who were really quite. I find some support band to be almost pointless but these guys held their own and I ordered their debut album on my return... Not sure which genre they'd fit into but something of a fuze between Acoustic, Irish Folk, Rock and Rap...

Paul.

Tim
26-04-2013, 22:19
Martin Stephenson
Wedgewood Rooms - Portsmouth
25th April 2013

Had a fantastic night last night in the bar next to the main venue, in a room of about 45-50 people. This created a really intimate atmosphere, suiting Martin's performances which are a unique blend of humour and music - he's a born entertainer. He played well beyond the 10.30 curfew and had to be stopped at around 11.20pm! Great night and I left with a huge grin on my face as did the rest of the audience.

0yv3rDfpq5Y

This isn't from last night, but gives a flavour of what he's like live - well worth seeking out, especially with his band The Daintees.

The Grand Wazoo
28-04-2013, 12:29
Last night's gig was Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash.
A good performance but it's sad that there have to be two versions of Wishbone Ash, neither of which benefit from the fact that they each only have one member of the 'proper' band.

Mothman
30-04-2013, 11:25
This was my second time seeing Chantel but the first as the main act, previously was as support to Robert Cray.

Enjoyed the show as Chantel can certainly play some mean guitar and also has a good voice, something which cannot be said for all blues\rock guitarists. The show was a mixture of original material and some covers with a small solo acoustic section which owing to technical problems she performed on an electric guitar.

One slight annoyance for me was the fact that our Chantel does like a chat, and this coupled with the seeming lack of a set list mean't that there many instances when she would be discussing with either the band or the audience as to what she should play next. This led to a some what dis-jointed show and on a couple of occasions I found myself thinking 'FFS get on with it love'. Would still probably go and see her again though:lol:

Tim
30-04-2013, 20:33
I know what you mean there Rich, I love it when artists interact with the audience, as there is nothing worse than a 'Dylan like' performance, but there comes a point when you want a show as well. Elvis Costello's Revolver Tour was a shocker in that respect, that drove me nuts!

HFpJyb4yo1A

DanJennings
06-05-2013, 07:59
Pretty small catchup this time, it's been a quiet few weeks.

Chas & Dave - Birmingham Town Hall - 5th April.
Slag em off all you like, they were fantastic. Great musicianship, great fun, played all the hits and a whole set of traditional songs, covers and various surprising things they did before they were famous. A long show!

Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts - Kitchen Garden Café - 28th April
I'm always going on about these two, but seriously they are one of the best contemporary folk duos out there. They play all originals, Jamie plays a sort of intricate fingerstyle guitar on his lap, Katriona plays fiddle and mandolin, and they both sing. I've seen them about 5 or 6 times in the last 3 years and they have never disappointed.

Alt-J - Birmingham Academy 5th May
And we're up to date. Saw this last night with Hamish and a couple of his mates, we all agreed it was a good show but we were slightly underwhelmed. The sound was ok, they were in good voice, but it was so exact that we may almost have just put the CD on. A couple of covers and a rarity aside, they played the album almost in sequence and the show ended.

Mothman
06-05-2013, 20:54
Absolutely stonking gig + saxophinist Eddie Blue joined them for the encore.

6Zwy99pNefE

Tim
07-05-2013, 07:16
You can't beat a bit of 'Miller Time' :)

Tim
21-05-2013, 22:20
Mark Knopfler
Bournemouth BIC - 21 May 2013

Just in from a rather mediocre night, which had 3 high-points for me;

No support band
The last song played was Wild Theme from Local Hero, which is a timeless classic
It was all over by 9:50pm.

There is no doubting that Mark is a gifted guitar player/songwriter and a thoroughly decent bloke too, but as a live performer tonight's show was weak and wanting from my perspective. I have not seen him before, so have nothing to measure it by, but tonight's performance was not a patch on the quality of his recorded music. It felt like he and the band were just going through the motions :(

I'm glad I went, but I would think twice before repeating it :scratch:

6pR1cVgk7Is

MartinT
22-05-2013, 05:33
Oh dear, we have him booked for Sat 1st June at the Albert Hall, and I'm hoping he picks it up by then.

Tim
22-05-2013, 08:09
Maybe he's saving himself for then Martin, he is doing a week there isn't he?

At least you will have Ruth Moody for support, which for me would make the night even if he was poor ;)

MartinT
22-05-2013, 08:46
At least you will have Ruth Moody for support

?

<looks her up> ok, she'll do!

eiU8vfup0m4

Tim
22-05-2013, 09:13
From The Wallin' Jennys Martin, just released her second album and I think Alex has her on his radar, so could be someone you would like too. Both her albums are on Spotify :)

julesd68
01-06-2013, 01:13
Well it's about 30 years since I last saw MSG!

I was an absolute fanatic back in the '80s - collected all the vinyl and went to see them 3 or 4 times at the Manchester Apollo. Great memories.

Couldn't resist the chance to see the reunion with fabled Scorpions rhythm section - Francis Buchholz and Herman 'Ze German' Rarebell. The gig promised a greatest hits package of all the old MSG / Scorps / UFO classics and we weren't disappointed. Fantastic to see the boy Schenker looking so well after his long battles with alcohol, and he was clearly enjoying himself. He has certainly lost none of his ability, flashing up and down the frets with his trademark fluidity. For me he is one of the greats, the Teutonic master, par excellence … I have always admired his highly melodic style and all the Paganini-esque classical influences. Makes it look and sound so very easy, like only the very best can do.

The boys rocked out from start to finish, showing great fitness (being mostly around their 60's!) over a roughly 1 hr 30 set. The crowd went particularly wild for all the UFO tunes like 'Lights Out' and 'Too Hot to Handle'. One of my personal highlights was the savage riffing of the Scorpions instrumental 'Coast to Coast'. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable night and hopefully won't be the last time I see the master play …

Must try and find my old copy of 'One night at Budokan'.

hal55
01-06-2013, 01:27
The Watoto Childrens Choir (OK, maybe not really a gig) but it was really good. The only negative was finding the beany I'd paid $20 for was actually made in China and not by a member of the Watoto village. Still, they do good work so I didn't really mind.

Hal55

sparrow
01-06-2013, 09:08
Rush on thursday night....wonderful show and when they played The Wreckers from their latest LPI had tears in my eyes..great sound considering the secc doesn't have good acoustics...this might be the last big tour they do..I hope not.

Tim
02-06-2013, 10:33
Oh dear, we have him booked for Sat 1st June at the Albert Hall, and I'm hoping he picks it up by then.

:popcorn:

MartinT
02-06-2013, 11:48
Mark Knopfler is a master musician who has only one peer in his ability to make his guitar truly sing - David Gilmour. He never even broke into a sweat as he made it all seem so effortless (while the drummer was drenched in sweat by the end of the show). He played a good selection of songs from his whole career, but the audience clearly preferred the old classics, raising the roof with Romeo and Juliet, Sultans of Swing and the awesome Telegraph Road. Finishing the gig with Going Home (Local Hero) was a great choice, too, the audience all standing and dancing for that one. One of my all-time favourites, So Far Away, was also a highlight for me.

The band were without exception a talented bunch, many of them having been with him since 1995 as he announced each one individually.

Ruth Moody provided great support, with a lovely voice, and also guested for two songs with Mark. She was very good throughout and an excellent addition to the show.

Apologies for the crap photo, my phone simply could not cope with the harsh contrast and bright lighting.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5342/8922496007_d625d90876_b.jpg

Tim
02-06-2013, 11:58
I take it you liked it then ;)

Too much Celtic folk going on with the newer stuff for my liking and they all stood like wooden statures on stage, but there is no questioning his credentials as a musician. Glad you liked Ruth Moody, she's making her mark at the moment and she will be at Maverick Festival in July - I wonder if she likes pints of Earl Soham Victoria bitter like Amy Speace did? . . . somehow I doubt it, but I'll certainly try to buy her one :lol:

MartinT
02-06-2013, 12:18
She looked gorgeous when signing discs (the queue was far too long otherwise I would have queued myself), with a radiant smile. Go for it!

MartinT
02-06-2013, 12:22
I take it you liked it then ;)

Yes, l really did and Ruth loved it. We've been playing Dire Straits' first album this morning and marvelling at how they arrived, fully fledged, with such an epic album.

Tim
02-06-2013, 12:37
She looked gorgeous when signing discs (the queue was far too long otherwise I would have queued myself), with a radiant smile. Go for it!
I'll get you a signed CD at Maverick if you want one Martin?

MartinT
02-06-2013, 12:41
Ooh yeah, baby. However, it won't have been handed over to me by her, so not quite the same thing. I'd still take it, though!

The Grand Wazoo
12-06-2013, 10:23
Last night was a long awaited gig from a musical hero of mine, playing with the band he plays best with: Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the NEC, Birmingham.

Long awaited is an understatement -to be precise, it's 18 years since I last saw him perform.
Apart from the fact that I utterly loathe the principle of gigs in monstrous cow sheds, this was for me, a fantastic experience. Words just can't do it justice! Utterly brilliant and what a noise! There were some people sitting close to us who were, apparently only familiar with 'Harvest' and perhaps one or two of the other acoustic things he's done. They got a few crumbs in the form of 'Heart of Gold' and others but to say they were a little surprised by the playing style when the four gents on the stage plugged it & turned it up would to understate the case a little. During the 10 minutes or so of the feedback wig-out at the end of 'Walk Like a Giant' from the new album a few people actually left the building!

Some words from a bit that I wrote about the first Crazy Horse album sum it up nicely:
Crazy Horse - 'Crazy Horse' A Lost Classic? (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?21721-Crazy-Horse-Crazy-Horse-A-Lost-Classic)
The playing seems undisciplined and maybe even a little unskilled but there's majesty in the sound of a band playing well together and bouncing off one another. The feel is more important than technical expertise – similar to something Led Zeppelin called 'Tight but Loose' and Neil Young was to later christen 'Ragged Glory'.

Almost two and a half hours of playing like that is a real feat for a guy in his late sixties, but he was obviously enjoying himself immensely. This will go down as one of my best ever gigs. 'Cortez the Killer' was just perfect.

Ragged Glory indeed.

1. Love To Burn
2. Surfer Joe And Moe The Sleaze
3. Psychedelic Pill
4. Walk Like A Giant
5. Hole In The Sky
6. Heart Of Gold
7. Blowin' In The Wind
8. Singer Without A Song
9. Ramada Inn
10. Cinnamon Girl
11. F*!#in' Up
12. Cortez The Killer
13. Mr. Soul
14. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
15. Powderfinger

Oldpinkman
12-06-2013, 11:00
Last big act, and most memorable gig (we have a lot of musician friends, so go to a lot of local stuff) was Kerry Ellis and Brian May - the Born Free concert at Tunbridge Wells. Magical up-close intimate atmosphere. Beautiful singing, and the boy May can play guitar a bit. VINYL copies of the music on sale in the foyer (yes folks, it was this which persuaded me after 20 years of believing vinyl had had it to dust off the kit and get it working again, on the basis that AK's claims that vinyl was making a come-back wasn't pure delusional fantasy).

On the "local musicians who are mates" theme, could I do a quick plug for my mate Joe Gibson who helps me with guitar playing, and his band. Check out Dave Migden and the Dirty Words - Killing it http://www.davidmigdenandthedirtywords.com/ . If I get enough people say they like it, maybe I'll get a limited edition vinyl run done. Needs about 250 people who would like an LP to make it viable.

Thanks - keep enjoying your HiFi But Keep Music LIVE!!

johnB
21-06-2013, 21:31
So, just completed a marathon 10 days of live music

Last Monday. - Public Image Ltd, Leicester
Last Tuesday - Bonnie Raitt, Birmingham
Last Saturday - The Who, London
Monday - Neil Young, London (& Los Lobos)
Last night - Springsteen, Coventry

I'm knackered, so staying in this weekend, recuperating ahead of Glastonbury from Wednesday.

I have to say that all the above were excellent, but Springsteen and particularly Neil
Young were stunning.

John

John
21-06-2013, 23:29
Just got back from Larry Carlton
Great gig I seen Larry play many times but he was really on fire tonight and a very tight band. Only moan was the bass solo, even one of my mates who is a bassist had a moan about the tone he used for the solo I still really dislike slap bass so guess I not mellowed out that much

Tim
22-06-2013, 16:03
Ron Sexsmith & Holly Williams
St George's Church, Kemp Town - Brighton
Friday 21st June

Well what a night this was, a great intimate venue with good acoustics (certainly from my seat) and a fantastic crowd. This was the last night of Ron's tour, so there was a great atmosphere in the Church - in fact some folks got up and danced around the front of the stage area toward the end and Ron commented that this was a first!

A good mix of songs, old & new, with a request list from the audience that he did his best to fill. Ron as usual was very chatty and split the show between the full band, with a few songs of him solo on guitar and also solo on piano. These were some of the best parts of the show for me. His band was very tight and amongst all the smiles on stage, there was some very good musical chemistry going on, with superb vocal harmonies between Ron and his drummer, whose name escapes me.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/01rongig_zpsb55d4bab.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/01rongig_zpsb55d4bab.jpg.html)

What really made the night though was support from Holly Williams - fantastic. Holly sang with just her Gibson acoustic and treated a very appreciative crowd to a selection of songs from her superb new album, The Highway. Holly also promised that she will be coming back to the UK 'in the fall' to do a tour of her own - I can't wait. I also got a chance to have a chat with her in-between the two sets - nice lady and very tall!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/02rongig_zps03d10146.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/02rongig_zps03d10146.jpg.html)

I'm a confirmed Holly fan now and have just booked to see her headline show at The Borderline tomorrow night :D

MartinT
22-06-2013, 21:05
You old dog you :eyebrows:

Tim
22-06-2013, 21:48

Tim
28-06-2013, 18:48
Holly Williams - The Borderline
23rd June

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/01gigs_zpse2167c95.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/01gigs_zpse2167c95.jpg.html)

Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Hampton Court Palace
24th June

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/03gigs_zpsa60c6086.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/03gigs_zpsa60c6086.jpg.html)

Bonnie Raitt - Royal Albert Hall
27th June

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/06gigs_zpsf7a4eacf.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/06gigs_zpsf7a4eacf.jpg.html)

Well its been a busy and rather superb week musically and I just had to share a little with you guys, especially Beth & Joe's gig . . . . I don't really have the words for what a special night this was, beautiful place, fantastic surroundings and music of the highest order. I know music is personal, but I'd Rather Go Blind is one of my favourite songs and boy oh boy, did they nail it. Just take a peek . . . I had a great seat too, a couple of rows right in front of Beth and I don't mind admitting I had a tear in my eye for this. Anyway, I'll let you decide for yourself as this video really does do it justice;

dkBAj_TJOQ0&feature=share&list=FLjS6ODTIUhHhkHL0MXbUV3g

I have seen both Joe and Beth a number of times by themselves, but this was the first time I had seen them together and what a mix. To be honest it was really a Beth Hart gig with Joe Bonamassa and his band as the backers, which really does show the measure of the man. But not to steal anything away from Beth, as she fronted the night with some aplomb and strutted the stage like they had been performing together for ages - she really owned that stage and gave an absolute belter of a performance, but then she always does give it all on stage. There is also no doubt that Beth has really grown since meeting Joe - she has always been good, but now she's pure class and finally getting the recognition she deserves as an artist.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/04gigs_zpsbb6ab47b.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/04gigs_zpsbb6ab47b.jpg.html)

Had a chance meeting with Joe too, just before the show which was a stroke of luck - I thought I would get a last visit to the loo in and bugger me if he wasn't standing stage left chatting to a small group of fans!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/02gigs_zps8a943344.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/02gigs_zps8a943344.jpg.html)

Of the other gigs, Holly Williams pulled off a great night as headline at The Borderline and Bonnie Raitt last night just topped the week off wonderfully. What a great lady she is and no mean blues guitarist either.

But I have to admit, Beth's I'd Rather Go Blind was quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen live before - what a week :)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/05gigs_zps60b130d0.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/05gigs_zps60b130d0.jpg.html)

Rare Bird
28-06-2013, 18:50
You old dog you :eyebrows:

:lol: Some blokes are just natural bird pullers, i know i invented the passtime :D

Tim
28-06-2013, 18:53
:lol: Some blokes are just natural bird pullers, i know i invented the passtime :D
I used to be pretty good at it myself before my hair went grey and my waistline decided to explode :lol: - I've hung up my spurs now though André.

archiesdad
28-06-2013, 20:05
Saw Blackmore's Nights on Wednesday, fine gig, even the wife enjoyed them as it was a first for her. No pictures as my camera is a bit big to take to these nights out.

walpurgis
28-06-2013, 23:36

Last thing I pulled was a hamstring!

Bazil
30-06-2013, 22:52
Just back from The Who at the Liverpool Arena,the main set was Quadrophenia the highlight of which was "Bell Boy", Keith Moon's vocals were done by the man him self on video from an old gig, it was like he was there , brilliant.
The show finished with "Who are you ", You Better You Bet", Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Reilly and Won't Get Fooled Again , the place was bouncing pretty good given the average age of the audience
:gig:

John
05-07-2013, 12:10
So Govt Mule Under the Bridge Good gig but a bit to jam based for my likings

dantheman91
06-07-2013, 18:26
Thea Gilmore - Superb

Tim
08-07-2013, 13:27
Ooh yeah, baby. However, it won't have been handed over to me by her, so not quite the same thing. I'd still take it, though!

Not handed over personally Martin, but the next best thing ;)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/01moody_zpse6b04c59.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/01moody_zpse6b04c59.jpg.html)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/02moody_zpse7cb35e2.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/02moody_zpse7cb35e2.jpg.html)
(inside cover)

Not sure I want to trust it to the post, unless you want it ASAP - but up to you how I get it to you?
She was superb at Maverick too, it was their last gig before heading back to Canada - a little different to the RAH, a barn in East Suffolk!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/03moody_zps820b9760.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/03moody_zps820b9760.jpg.html)

MartinT
08-07-2013, 18:39
Ah, you're a star Tim, and I owe you a couple of drinks as well as payment. No rush, we'll probably see each other some time this year. Did you have any further thoughts about Hawkwind?

Tim
27-07-2013, 10:55
Patty Griffin
Union Chapel, London
25th July 2103

Union Chapel is a pain in the arse for me to get to, especially on a week night, but as regular readers will know its one of my favourite London venues - the sound and atmosphere in there is superb and more than compensates for the hard pews and long journey home time!

This was the first time I have seen Patty without a band and although not solo, she was centre stage for the entire night and the support from David Pulkingham was superb. He is a very accomplished musician in his own right and added just the right level of balance to Patty's performance without being intrusive. This was a sublime performance from Patty and of the dozens of gigs I go to every year, a handful of them stand out . . . this was one of them - being front row and bang in the centre helped too :)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/2patty_zpsadcb281f.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/2patty_zpsadcb281f.jpg.html)

Waiting for Patty

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/1patty_zps078283d8.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/1patty_zps078283d8.jpg.html)

Setlist

T8_vENxSGa4

'Gonna Miss You When You're Gone' - from the album American Kid

stupinder
30-07-2013, 19:49
This. Utterly fantastic!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4btK83EcJN8

Barry
30-07-2013, 21:40
Etran Finatawa are a Niger-based band, formed in 2004 during the Festival au Désert near Timbuktu, Mali. The music of Etran Finatawa blends the traditional music of the Wodaabe and Tuareg people with western instruments such as the electric guitar. The band’s name Etran Finatawa means "the stars of tradition".

Niger is a region that for thousands of years has served as the crossroads between the Arabs of north Africa and the sub-Saharan traditions.

Originally the band consisted of 7 members including three female singers, but for practical reasons of touring, the band is reduced to four members, all male: two Wodaabe and two Tuareg. They play acoustic and electric guitar, electric bass, percussion; including an unusual drum consisting of an upturned gourd floating in a second, larger water-filled calabash.

Their singing is accompanied by hand claps whose timing is rhythmically so precise you could set your watch by it. A close comparison might be with the Tuareg group Tinariwen, however the rhythm is less heavy, and the music a little more melodic and the singing lacks the ululation associated with Tinariwen. This however is most likely due to the absence of the female singers in Etran Finatawa, since it is they who do the ululation. On the debut album “Introducing Etran Finatawa”, which included the three female singers, the ululation can be heard.

2NjX1ziHVX8 OanH2i86W-s cAendSyJPH4

I saw Etran Finatawa at Menai Bridge in Anglesey ,the middle of last month, performing on a very small stage in a rather crowded function room. The performers were wearing traditional costume. The Tuareg wearing their traditional blue robes and black turbans, with the Wodaabe members having ornate face make up. To say their music and singing is infectious was immediately apparent by the fact that the, normally reserved, audience were all nodding their heads with several members up and dancing; a phenomenon that put a smile on the faces of the performers.

All in all a good time was had by everyone.

Tim
30-07-2013, 22:23
A close comparison might be with the Tuareg group Tinariwen
I saw these last year Barry, really superb performers. I have not heard of Etran Finatawa, so will keep a look out - thanks :)

The Grand Wazoo
30-07-2013, 23:43
I just wish that we could have made it Barry, but it wasn't to be - sounds like it was a good un.

Ali Tait
31-07-2013, 06:44
Saw Jools Holland in Edinburgh on Sunday night. Great gig, had Roland Gift as guest singer.

Barry
31-07-2013, 22:10
Seckou Keita

Whilst not strictly speaking the “Last Gig I Went To”, I did however see Seckou Keita at the University of Bangor, in September last year. I trust you will forgive the unintended mendacity; I just didn't get around to reporting it at the time.

Seckou Keita is a kora player and drummer from Senegal. A charismatic live-performer and one of the few champions of the less-known and rhythmically rocking kora repertoire from Casamance in southern Senegal. Keita was born in Ziguinchor, Senegal. Through his father he is a descendant of the Malian Keita family of kings and his mother's family, the Cissokhos, are a griot family (hereditary musicians).

Understandably confused with Salif Keita, (adding to the confusion Seckou Keita has accompanied Salif Keita on occasions), Seckou Keita has carved out a performing career for himself as well as running drumming and kora workshops in schools, arts centres and festivals.

G5bNS514pCo Qt9WqI3SVL0

nETxOuBuwWI rEs08zHLm9o

Quoting from Wikipedia:

The kora is a harp built from a large calabash cut in half and covered with cow skin to make a resonator with a long hardwood neck. The skin is supported by two handles that run under it, and it supports a notched double free-standing bridge. It doesn't fit into any one category of musical instruments, but rather several, and must be classified as a "double-bridge-harp-lute." The strings run in two divided ranks, making it a double harp. They do not end in a soundboard but are held in notches on a bridge, making it a bridge harp. They originate from a string arm or neck and cross a bridge directly supported by a resonating chamber, making it a lute too.

The sound of a kora resembles that of a harp, though when played in the traditional style, it bears a closer resemblance to flamenco and delta blues guitar techniques. The player uses only the thumb and index finger of both hands to pluck the strings in polyrhythmic patterns (using the remaining fingers to secure the instrument by holding the hand posts on either side of the strings). Ostinato riffs ("Kumbengo") and improvised solo runs ("Birimintingo") are played at the same time by skilled players.

Kora players have traditionally come from griot families (also from the Mandinka nationalities) who are traditional historians, genealogists and storytellers who pass their skills on to their descendants. The instrument is played in Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Senegal, Burkina Faso and The Gambia. A traditional kora player is called a Jali, similar to a 'bard' or oral historian. Most West African musicians prefer the term 'jali' to 'griot', which is the French word.

Traditional koras feature 21 strings, eleven played by the left hand and ten by the right. Modern koras made in the Casamance region of southern Senegal sometimes feature additional bass strings, adding up to four strings to the traditional 21. Strings were traditionally made from thin strips of hide, for example antelope skin - now most strings are made from harp strings or nylon fishing line, sometimes plaited together to create thicker strings.

By moving leather tuning rings up and down the neck, a kora player can retune the instrument into one of four seven-note scales.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fZtwTSDEL._SY450_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Pat6vkRSL._SY450_.jpg

The ensemble I saw should correctly be called the Seckou Keita Septet, as two percussionists, two electric guitarists and two female singers accompanied him, as can be seen in this You Tube clip:

Z1hsp0x4_1o

I just love West African music and kora playing in particular (I am also a keen fan of Toumani Diabaté and of Ballaké Sissoko) – Senegal and Mali seem to be disproportionably blessed amongst African nations for their music. This performance was superb and thoroughly enjoyable.

If I had one criticism, it would be that of the sound balance. I, along with Marco, Snapper and DaveM of the Forum, were sat fairly near the front but to the left. The balance was such that the left hand PA speaker was far too dominant; causing an aural/visual dislocation with the Seckou Keita, who was positioned centre stage. When I walked back and stood alongside the mixing desk, the sound was balanced. But given the overall quality of the concert it was a minor niggle!

aquapiranha
25-08-2013, 09:56
Last night in Belfast at belsonic in custom house square..

Starter,

Runaway Go.

Main course,

James.

Dessert,

Suede.

All were fantastic but I have to admit I preferred James by some margin. The mrs liked Suede more but that is just because she wants to marry Brett Anderson.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

simon e
25-08-2013, 10:30
Went to see Ronan O' Snodaigh an Irish bodhran player best known as a member of Kila an Irish folk band.

The gig was in Christchurch Cathedral. First half was Ronan and his bodhran and the second was a full band playing songs from his new album.

It was a brilliant laid back gig. And if you like read music kila are worth checking out.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z462/s_ewings/20130823_210644.jpg

Stratmangler
22-09-2013, 09:59
Joe Bonamassa last night at the Manchester Arena.
I enjoyed the beginning of the show, with Joe on acoustic guitar, and two of his band members (keys and percussion) in an intimate huddle at the front of the stage, and with Seagull and Jelly Roll Blues being amongst the songs they played.

After the acoustic set the electric guitars came out, and it all turned into one rather tedious and safe cabaret.
After twenty or so minutes I was for leaving, but I stayed because my son wanted to see more of the concert.
All I can say that is positive about the whole experience is that Joe and the band all played very proficiently.
It seemed to me that they were just going through the motions, and thankfully (for me) we left during the second number of the encore.

To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly.

simon g
24-09-2013, 06:55
Gilad Atzmon at Goring last week.

Astonishing. Sitting literally just a few feet away from the man and his band, in a village hall for Heaven's sake! This is one of the top musicians in the world (indeed, according to Robert Wyatt, Gilad is the best musician living in the world today) and there he is, playing in a small village hall. £15 for a ticket. It's a real travesty that such talent goes so financially un-rewarded. Look at all the dross out there, earning massive amounts, with little or zero talent, other than looking good and having a great publicist.

This was a superb gig, focusing on his new album which is his best for a while, IMO.

Gilad is often touring, so just get out there and find out just what you've been missing!

As an aside, the concert also confirmed my view that we're all wasting our time, if we're trying to reproduce a live event in our lounges. Just forget it ~ it'll never sound like it was sitting in that chair, in that hall. No chance, Nada.

Tim
26-09-2013, 18:15
Joe Bonamassa last night at the Manchester Arena.
I enjoyed the beginning of the show, with Joe on acoustic guitar, and two of his band members (keys and percussion) in an intimate huddle at the front of the stage, and with Seagull and Jelly Roll Blues being amongst the songs they played.

After the acoustic set the electric guitars came out, and it all turned into one rather tedious and safe cabaret.
After twenty or so minutes I was for leaving, but I stayed because my son wanted to see more of the concert.
All I can say that is positive about the whole experience is that Joe and the band all played very proficiently.
It seemed to me that they were just going through the motions, and thankfully (for me) we left during the second number of the encore.

To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly.
I popped in to see MartinT last night Chris and he mentioned your post. I couldn't agree more, I went to see him in Bournemouth last Friday and very nearly left early, but stuck it out, but when he played John Henry in the encore I made a beeline for the exit. I love Joe, but to me it seems as if he's reached a plateau and his shows have become dull and lacking any real passion. I have seen him 4 times this year which doesn't help and am in double figures for all his shows, but of those only two stand out, the first in a small club with 60 people, which was astounding and his blues show this year at the O2 Empire in London, which was the old Joe again. I did think it might have just been me last Friday and not being in the right mood, but it seems not after reading your comments.

He needs a long break, a new set-list (definitely a new set-list!) and a bit more of his early passion. Right now he's just putting on a 'show' and not really playing the blues or anything else for that matter, which we all know he can do with some aplomb . . . alas, right now he's not hitting the sweet spot for me and I will think very hard before buying my next ticket to see him :(

On a brighter note I was treated to a superb solo performance at The Forge in Basingstoke by Slaid Cleaves last night, but I won't bore you with details as I think many may call him 'country' ;)

Twas darned good though, good songs, tall tales and a bit of mirth shared out amongst a sold out house, nothing better in Tim's book.
I have John Fullbright & Amy Speace tomorrow night in London and I can't wait TBH :D

The Grand Wazoo
29-09-2013, 00:00
Just back from seeing Martin Taylor and Martin Simpson playing together. What a display of mastery of the guitar. Absolutely fantastic.

http://www.adastra-music.co.uk/cache/com_zoo/images/taylorsimpson_forweb_99df442a187300b3e8ac76f934ec7 134.jpg

jollyfix
29-09-2013, 00:07
just got back from seeing Richard Bona, great sound, great musicians, especially the guy on drums.

Tim
29-09-2013, 11:42
John Fullbright & Amy Speace
Purcell Room - Southbank Centre
Friday 27th Sept

I originally booked this purely to see Amy Speace, as I'm a big fan but when I heard how good John Fullbright's album was, it promised to be a double wammy and I was not mistaken. Amy was more than purely support as her and John are friends, having worked together on her latest album. So she got just under an hour instead of a normal 30 minute support slot and she certainly won the crowd over in that time with some great songs and stories. John joined her on stage for one song, 'The Sea & the Shore' from her last album. Amy is a very talented and articulate artist, having worked as a Shakespearean actress in her past, so her public speaking and story telling are very self assured and add to her charm as a performer. Her voice and vocal style have often been compared to Joan Baez and I can agree with that for sure.

John's set was around 75 minutes and was quite frankly remarkable for a relatively unknown 25 year old. He performed solo playing mostly at a Yamaha digital piano, interspersed with songs on an acoustic guitar and harmonica. Right from the very first chord he launched into everything, totally committing himself to his craft, which was something to behold in one so young - it was quite frankly spellbinding at times and met with loud whoops of joy from a very enthusiastic crowd. This guy is somebody to watch out for in the future.

They have a few shows left on their current tour in Gateshead (3/10), Edinburgh (4/10), Dublin (6/10) & Belfast (7/10). If you are nearby and there are tickets left this pair together come very highly recommended :)

q5teMqHsThI

http://www.johnfullbrightmusic.com

http://www.amyspeace.com

MartinT
29-09-2013, 17:28
Glad that went well, Tim. I bought the Amy Speace album on your say-so and it's very good.

loo
03-10-2013, 17:10
Haim freebee at Rough Trade Tuesday night , they were great but set was too short:(
Paul

MartinT
03-10-2013, 21:14
Weren't they on Later... with Jools Holland during the summer? They were good!

loo
04-10-2013, 08:47
Hi Martin ,yes they were they were in the UK doing the festivals , their debut album 'days are gone' was released on Monday on double 45rpm vinyl (lovely pressing) CD and Delux CD. A strong recommendation from me:)
Paul

The Grand Wazoo
10-10-2013, 23:13
Just back from an evening with Stefan Grossman - an excellent gig.
That guy has some stories to tell! There aren't too many people around any more who can say things like "....so I took Mississippi John Hurt to the house of my guitar teacher, the Reverend Gary Davis......"

Or "......I was given the job of looking after the performers before concert that evening. There they were, Big Joe Williams, Skip James, Son House and Bukka White, all staring at each other across the living room...."

And he can play too!

The Grand Wazoo
12-10-2013, 00:05
Another gig tonight - same venue but the music couldn't have been more different.
Acid Mothers Temple are a very, very noisy Japanese rock band. Fantastic!

Bazil
13-10-2013, 19:45
Bit late with this as it was about a month ago, Roger Waters - The Wall at Manchester Arena.
I saw The Wall at the same venue two years ago and as good as that show was this was so much better. The first time around Roger presented The Wall as we know it and added a few special effects , a rock concert in other words. This time it was like a theatre impresario had put the show on, it was incredibly entertaining visually and sonically, probably the best show I have ever seen. Roger as the fascist leader the highlight. 10/10

DanJennings
26-10-2013, 08:10
Oops, big catchup time again:

Cropredy Festival 2013 - August 8-10: - Highlights were Fairport Convention (obviously), Alice Cooper, Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman, 10cc and Levellers (and a surprise impromptu set by Jasper Carrott!)

Jim Moray & Eliza Carthy @ the MAC in Birmingham 22/08/13 This was something special. Two of my favourite folk artists playing together in a small outdoor amphitheatre in Cannon Hill Park in Birmingham. A perfect evening.
The Defiled (supporting Motionless in White) - Birmingham Academy 2 20/09/13 - Great night although the set was a little short, chuffed to meet the band again.
The Duckworth Lewis Method - Birmingham Glee Club 29/09/13
Space - HMV Institute Birmingham 18/10/13
Bowling For Soup - Birmingham Academy 1 19/10/13
Savage Mother Tongue - Birmingham Academy 3 24/10/13 And now we're up to date. This was a great night. I was on my tod for this one, but it was still a great night. There were 3 other bands on, Valous, Left For Red, and Voodoo Six, but Savage Mother Tongue stole the show, and it was great to meet them after the show too. A real shame this is their farewell tour.

Floyddroid
26-10-2013, 20:32
Camel in Harrogate. Totally amazing.:)

Floyddroid
28-10-2013, 21:01
http://progmeister.com/camel-harrogate-royal-theatre

Clothears
28-10-2013, 21:24
http://progmeister.com/camel-harrogate-royal-theatre

That sounds like a great gig Steve. I can still remember buying my copy of The Show Goose LP from Paper Chase in Manchester when it first came out, and I still play the very same LP to this day on a regular basis. Very underated is our Mr.Latimer.

jollyfix
02-11-2013, 20:38
The last few days i attended the Albert Hall blues fest, not so much trad blues, all sorts really. Good time had by all i would say,long days, started at 2.00pm with the stroller. The small rooms and cafe's at the hall had small stages set up, the one place had a vinyl stall and round the corner to my delite found a guy with a hifi set up. VPI turntable, top end Moon Amp/CD/Phono stage and some large Proac's ( not sure what model).
Georgie Fame was due to play, but he was taken ill, some big band on instead. My favorite was World Party, just Mark Wallinger, a fiddle player and lead guitarist, great sound. Huey Morgan and his band played a great set in the Elgar room , and like Mark Wallinger had a great rapport with the audience.
The main hall gigs Tedeschi Trucks band, were one of the biggest surprises. I had never heard of them before, both very accomplished guitar players , nice mix of songs , top notch vocals. The only thing for me was the 2 drummers, if you have 2 drummers who both play the same thing, then the point is to have a powerful sound, they did not.
Chris Rea ok, his sound improved after the first few songs, but his set just seemed to drag, i know the guy has been ill ( stick thin), but it was all to slow, and sounded all the same, for me i would rather watch fish cry.
Robert Plant on the other hand was incredible, he was doing stuff with his voice i didn't think he could do anymore. The band were amazing, the interpretations of the many Zep songs were brilliant, north african hypnotic guitars, full on rhythm section, Hawkwind type space/ swirl noises, it just made those songs fresh again. You can see why he may be not keen to tour with Zep again, and go back to the same ole stuff, he even touched upon that whilst talking to the audience at one point. I have viewed a few bits online from that gig already, and as with every other gig i have been to, it just doesn't come across as good as it was live.
Many more acts played, some good,some great, some OK, all good ,and i and the mrs had a fab time.

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 20:42
I don't do gigs anymore & im praying the wife does not want to go see anyone this year, so far i have gotten away lightly..

Thank the lord for bars at venues :eyebrows:

jollyfix
02-11-2013, 20:51
My Mrs sorted out comp tickets for the whole fest, so it would have been a shame not to go. I have to say i am cream- crackered now, getting there at 1.30pm, getting home at 1.30/1.45am for a few days + a fair bit of booze too.

Tim
03-11-2013, 01:29
The main hall gigs Tedeschi Trucks band, were one of the biggest surprises. I had never heard of them before . . .
Album Club (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?20870-Album-Club-Week-62-09-10-12-Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Revelator-%282011%29) ;)

I'm pretty certain this was their first appearance in the UK Dave as TTB (they are huge in the States), Derek and Susan have played here before in other guises, but this was a first for TTB - pretty special wasn't it?
If you like what you heard definitely check out the album club choice and also Susan's albums (especially Back to the River) and The Derek Trucks Band too. Derek is in the Rolling Stone top 100 guitarists, I think at number 16.

Midnight in Harlem is one of my most played songs and they nailed it on Tuesday I thought, I had goosebumps. I was near the front and the drums were loud there, in fact I could feel them from my seat . . . one of the best shows I have been to this year.

7ubH7dLJJiE

Check this out too, stunning.

07rT1t2hkDU

jollyfix
03-11-2013, 11:40
Thanks Tim, i will check that album out for sure, i said to the mrs i need to get some of their stuff as soon as 'poss'. We were in a private box stage left, but towards the back by the mixing desk. The keyboard player and backing singers were great too, i loved the keyboard players flute solo.

Tim
03-11-2013, 12:10
Thanks Tim, i will check that album out for sure, i said to the mrs i need to get some of their stuff as soon as 'poss'. We were in a private box stage left, but towards the back by the mixing desk. The keyboard player and backing singers were great too, i loved the keyboard players flute solo.
I'm sure you are going to love them :)

They have a great online video channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/TedeschiTrucksVEVO/videos) too.

johnB
03-11-2013, 14:29
Tadeschi Trucks Band....like it.

Did you get to see Van The Man, Dave?

jollyfix
03-11-2013, 14:46
No i didn't want to see Van the Man, i like some of his music, but we almost had a fight once in a caravan backstage many years ago in London. I am not the least bit violent, he was drunk and being an Ahole, it all got a wee bit nuts, Tony the keyboard player with the saw doctors sorted it out thank god, but since then i cant stand the guy. Long story to much to go into on an open forum etc.... Almost as bad as having dinner with Bryan Ferry.

johnB
03-11-2013, 15:12
No i didn't want to see Van the Man, i like some of his music, but we almost had a fight once in a caravan backstage many years ago in London. I am not the least bit violent, he was drunk and being an Ahole, it all got a wee bit nuts, Tony the keyboard player with the saw doctors sorted it out thank god, but since then i cant stand the guy. Long story to much to go into on an open forum etc.... Almost as bad as having dinner with Bryan Ferry.
Sounds like a good one.....I only met him once Dave, at the Kings Hotel in Newport Gwent (there are some bootlegs of his less sober performances at that venue)...I chose not to enter in conversation as I knew his reputation and I didn't want to end up in an argument or worse with one of my musical heroes, so I chose to talk to Georgie Fame who was an absolute gent.

sparrow
03-11-2013, 16:19
gary Barlows touring soon Andre..

Tim
04-11-2013, 21:35
Here you go Dave, a great video from last week - boy do I wish it was tomorrow night not last week!

hbsUubhV5WY

MartinT
04-11-2013, 21:37
I'm at the Bryan Ferry gig at the Albert Hall tonight.

Wakefield Turntables
04-11-2013, 22:01
The Cult @ Nottingham. WOW!

MartinT
05-11-2013, 07:07
I'm at the Bryan Ferry gig at the Albert Hall tonight.

A truly fab gig last night at the Albert Hall, although I did worry at the beginning that it was going to be all 1920s jazz style! An immensely skilled band (and I really mean every member was quite outstanding) accompanied Bryan in many of his, and Roxy's, greatest hits and got the whole Albert Hall dancing by the end. I never thought I would hear him singing classics like Smoke Gets in your Eyes, A Song for Europe, Let's Stick Together, Street Life and Jealous Guy performed live as well as many other hits.

A special accolade for the trumpet player (Enrico Tomasso) who was quite the most amazing exponent of the instrument I have ever heard.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7449/10685437274_6d1c10c19b_b.jpg

Bazil
06-11-2013, 10:42
I saw Steve Hackett last week on his Genesis Revisited II tour, the best gig I have ever been to, music from my favourite period of Genesis played note perfect.
Musicians can of course recreate with instruments the exact songs but singers obviously cannot, nevertheless Nad Sylvan did a tremendous job taking on Gabriel's and Collins' vocals, The Musical Box and Suppers Ready alone were enough to undo any singer but he nailed it.
Fabulous night, here is a vid from youtube of the show I went to.

http://youtu.be/wWkFNQ3d_9k

The Grand Wazoo
08-11-2013, 00:52
Just back from an excellent, excellent gig by Mark Lanegan at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester.
Last time I went to see him (with Isobel Campbell) the gig was cut short due to a visit from the fire brigade attending to a smoking toaster somewhere in the building! This time, we got the pleasure of seeing the full gig.
The 2 support slots were members of the band doing their own solo things and the main event was an interesting set up with a guitarist, bassist, cellist, violin player and someone switching between soprano sax and second guitar. No drums!
The whole family Wazoo were in attendance and we all enjoyed it immensely.

Clothears
09-11-2013, 09:42
I'm off to the Picturedrome in Holmfirth later for a full day and evenings rocking blues at the Holmfirth Blues Splash, featuring Walter Trout and four other bands. While me and my mates are rocking out (well as much as a 57 yo can "rock out"), the wives will be having a pub crawl! The good news is that we will be staying overnight in the hotel next door, so just a 50 yard crawl/stumble back to bed at the end of the night :cool:

Lionheart
09-11-2013, 17:56
The Pretty Things, last night in Putney, London

The Grand Wazoo
10-11-2013, 10:28
We went to see Chris Smither last night. I've never heard anything by him until Thursday, when I found an album in a charity shop for a £1. Despite the huge financial risk, I bought it and happily, lived not to regret it.
So lo & behold, I discovered that he was playing the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal just two days later - serendipity!

What a fantastic guitarist this guy is, and he writes some superb songs. He's been at it for forty years and his music has been covered by Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris among others, though I wouldn't call his style either blues or country.
Excellent & highly recommended.

You Tube clip from another show - when he played this last night, he seemed relieved to be able to talk about it sensibly without fear of being accosted later by creationists!

kpNoQaB2LT0

Clothears
10-11-2013, 14:41
I'm off to the Picturedrome in Holmfirth later for a full day and evenings rocking blues at the Holmfirth Blues Splash, featuring Walter Trout and four other bands. While me and my mates are rocking out (well as much as a 57 yo can "rock out"), the wives will be having a pub crawl! The good news is that we will be staying overnight in the hotel next door, so just a 50 yard crawl/stumble back to bed at the end of the night :cool:

An enjoyable evening. The artistes in order of appearance were The Mitch Laddie Band, Federal Charm, Ben Poole, Virgil and the Accelerators, and finally the venerable Walter Trout Band.

A good nights rocking, packed house, decent beer, and all for £20. I was bloody knackered at the end mind having been stood up for 6 hours, my old legs were creaking at the end :)

Before the show there had been rumours that Walter Trout had cancelled due to ill health, but this was not the case as he arrived on stage at 9.30pm . However, there was a collective gasp as he walked out on stage. The man is a shell of his old self, it was a shock to behold, the man looked about 80. He spent most of the 90 mins sat down, but my god could he still play! He informed the crowd that he had liver damage, and had been in and out of hospital in LA for the last 2 months. He called himself Nosferatu, and said not only was he glad to be back in Holmfirth, he was glad to be back anywhere! I've been watching Walter Trout since 1993 and I sincerely hope this wasn't the last time. Considering all this WT and the boys (possibly the least photogenic band I've ever seen) put on a terrific show. Nice one Walt!

PS: Ben Poole is worth watching if you get a chance.

PPS: I love the Picturedrome.It was my first visit, but wont be the last.

simon e
17-11-2013, 00:04
Sigur ros at the Dublin O2 tonight. Absolutely amazing gig!

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z462/s_ewings/IMAG0214.jpg

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
18-11-2013, 21:09
Hi Guys

Went to see Gary Numan at the Round House Camden last Saturday.
Not a massive fan but the gig was great, surprisingly heavy gig.
Massive wall of sound heavy synths and guitars. well impressed.
Would go and see him again.
The Loosers as the support were pretty good too, will have to research them better later in the week.

?v=74GrlVGmhns

Andy - SDDW

The Grand Wazoo
21-11-2013, 08:31
Zappa Plays Zappa were at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester last night and so was I!

It's hard for someone who saw Frank himself play several times, to judge a show like this - it was different, yet so much the same.

The three hours of music comprised a complete rendition of the 'Roxy and Elsewhere' album, which was made up from several live performances itself. The second half of the show comprised material taken from the rest of the Zappa canon.

The 'Roxy' material was excellent and much appreciated because a lot of the songs on that album have never appeared anywhere else, either on disc or on subsequent Zappa tours, so it was a unique opportunity to witness it again.
How do six musicians cope reproducing a performance originally performed by fifteen? And that fifteen comprised some musical geniuses such as George Duke, Ruth Underwood and Chester Thompson. Well the answer is, that they coped very well actually! The sound wasn't quite as rich and full of texture as the original, but excellent all the same.

As for the second half of the show......well, any Zappa fan given the chance to hear 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' rendered with perfect precision has got to come away very happy indeed.

Yomanze
21-11-2013, 12:46
Depeche Mode last Friday at the MEN Arena in Manchester. Very tight, huge sound & they even got the horrendous acoustics in that arena out of the way...

The Grand Wazoo
23-11-2013, 00:50
Tonight was the last night of a long run of closely spaced gigs - I've been to more shows in the last few months than I've been to for years.
Glen Tilbrook - we nearly didn't go to this one for all sorts of reasons.
We made it though, and I'm really glad.....for all sorts of reasons.

Firstly, I learnt about songwriting through his music - some of the Squeeze singles were such perfectly crafted examples of the pop song and they were the equal of anything recorded by anyone.....ever, in my opinion. The likes of 'Up the Junction' (especially 'Up the Junction'), 'Pulling Mussels from a Shell' and 'Labelled With Love' with are so completely tied up with my youth that they feel like they're part of me.

Secondly he played a fantastic cover of 'Voodoo Chile'. Now who'd have thought that?!

Thirdly, the support act was utterly superb. Leslie Mendelson - she was fantastic. Googling her name gets you a few YouTube videos and the odd review, all of which mention Carole King - what I hear is strong shades of Rickie Lee Jones' first album - there's something in her intonation that screams RLJ to me.

nAUD2spUIdo

spotify:album:3sfVeO02CpZz7xusvYtW3i

synsei
23-11-2013, 00:56
Gotta agree Chris, Squeeze were a huge influence on my teenage years, such a fantabulous band. I heard Cool For Cats on Radio 1 at work and was hooked. I went out to buy the single from Andy's Records during my lunch break, on pink vinyl I might add. Up The Junction is one of those rare songs which grabs you by the scruff of the neck and makes you listen to the lyrics :)

The Grand Wazoo
23-11-2013, 01:03
I honestly think Glen Tilbrook and Chris Difford, along with Justin Currie and Iain Harvie (of Del Amitri) represent the Lennon and McCartney of their respective decades.

synsei
23-11-2013, 01:14
I honestly think Glen Tilbrook and Chris Difford, along with Justin Currie and Iain Harvie (of Del Amitri) represent the Lennon and McCartney of their respective decades.

I wouldn't argue with you there either Chris, I feel likewise. It always amazed me that Del Amitri didn't get more recognition. All their stuff is superbly produced and recorded too :D

EDIT: My fave Del Amitri track is It Might As Well Be You btw ;)

MartinT
23-11-2013, 13:09
Thirdly, the support act was utterly superb. Leslie Mendelson - she was fantastic. Googling her name gets you a few YouTube videos and the odd review, all of which mention Carole King - what I hear is strong shades of Rickie Lee Jones' first album - there's something in her intonation that screams RLJ to me.

She sounds good, Chris. I'm not sure about RLJ, though. She has better diction than RLJ and not that 'throw-away' Californian drawl.

Clothears
07-12-2013, 10:04
Tonight was the last night of a long run of closely spaced gigs - I've been to more shows in the last few months than I've been to for years.
Glen Tilbrook - we nearly didn't go to this one for all sorts of reasons.
We made it though, and I'm really glad.....for all sorts of reasons.

Firstly, I learnt about songwriting through his music - some of the Squeeze singles were such perfectly crafted examples of the pop song and they were the equal of anything recorded by anyone.....ever, in my opinion. The likes of 'Up the Junction' (especially 'Up the Junction'), 'Pulling Mussels from a Shell' and 'Labelled With Love' with are so completely tied up with my youth that they feel like they're part of me.

Secondly he played a fantastic cover of 'Voodoo Chile'. Now who'd have thought that?!

I would, went to see him a few years ago at the old Witchwood in Ashton-under-Lyne (anyone remember that venue?) and he ended his show with his show-stopping acoustic version. Brilliant stuff, and he had the crowd eating out of his hand.

When the show had to come to an end, 11.00pm curfew and all that, the mics and PA were switched off, but Glenn asked if anyone wanted to hear more. Yes of course we did! He then stood up on top of a bar table, we gathered around so that we could all hear, and he gave us another 20 minutes of random requests, banter, laughs, the full works. As chance would have it he was being interviewed on the Nicky Campbell 5Live show a couple of days later, and for the one and only time in my life I rang a radio station and spoke to the great man himself, (GT that is, not NC!), thanking him for the show and his impromptu extra encore Top bloke.

Give me that sort of show any day of the week, rather than some over bloated £100 a seat arena gig.

The Grand Wazoo
15-12-2013, 01:51
We were in Krakow for four nights last week and saw a different band every night at various places. Under a rather intolerant political regime, jazz was deemed to be a nasty western influence in Poland. In Krakow, it became an underground movement - underground in all senses of the word. They went into the cellars of the buildings in the old town.

Jazz Club u Muniaka in Krakow - a gig a night....every night.

Janusz Muniak, tenor sax (semi-)legend and owner of the venue.

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/2845/z35u.jpg

Another night, another 14th century cellar, another band....

Gurgul Band with Mateusz Gurgul and his trusty sidekicks

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/8790/5gmt.jpg

Each gig represented an excellent night out for about fiver a head.

Rothchild
15-12-2013, 08:33
http://www.soundcheckchannel.com/templates/default/images/flyer.jpg

Went to this on Friday night, astounding! In a big church in hackney, each act are supported by the 'house band' of a choir, strings and the church organ + get to use a rather odd old church piano. In a huge reverberant acoustic space. The whole thing was stunningly well conceived and executed and the overall effect was pretty magical.

I went for Alice Russell (becuase imo it's about as close as I'll get to seeing Aretha Frankin!) but to give them their due 'NYPC' were way better than I'd expected and really helped lift it from a great to an incredible evening. Strongly reccommend keeping an eye on these promoters.

MartinT
15-12-2013, 09:56
We were in Krakow for four nights last week and saw a different band every night at various places.

They look great, Chris, and I don't think your seats were exactly 'back of the hall' for your fiver!

archiesdad
15-12-2013, 12:38
We saw KingKing on Thursday night at the Green Hotel in Kinross, fronted by one half of the Nimmo Brothers, "backstage" is a pleasant wee venue very well run, really good night oot, only the rugby to look forward to now till Paul Carrack in Edinburgh in 2014, nowt else planned anyway
Never remember to take a camera with us when we go oot, must try harder.

The Grand Wazoo
15-12-2013, 12:56
They look great, Chris, and I don't think your seats were exactly 'back of the hall' for your fiver!

Ha, no!
I've been to one or two gigs where I wished I'd brought binoculars. This was not required last week!

MartinT
28-12-2013, 17:47
I went to a gig once (Skin Games) where there was our table of three and another with a couple on it. When the band joined us afterwards, the audience doubled!

Thomps557
29-01-2014, 10:48
Won tickets to this gig through a local paper. Hadn't heard him prior to attendance and thoroughly enjoyed the night.

C&C were like a downtempo Oasis. Lots of bluesy chord progressions and guitar licks. Great vocals; Sings a bit like Fran Healy (Travis).

Got a sweet 180gm double album at the merch stall too, lovely piece of vinyl.

Floyddroid
30-01-2014, 22:38
Steve Hackett, Genesis revisited II at Newcastle City Hall. F.....g brill!!!!!!!

The Grand Wazoo
08-03-2014, 19:35
Danny Bryant last night -a good blues night-out.
Highlight for me was when he played a version of this.....

j2zDc-VdNSU

MartinT
12-03-2014, 14:37
Just now, in a lunchtime concert in the school chapel, Randy Mayfield. Wonderful voice and he did a superb rendition of O Sole Mio in a mixed opera, gospel and folk programme. The benefits of working in a school with a great Music Department.

http://www.thesheldon.org/tiles/randymayfield650.jpg