PDA

View Full Version : Today's hunt for Vinyl - Barnsley

Wakefield Turntables
23-09-2011, 16:54
Barnsley it has to be said is a weird place, its 25 minutes drive from where I live and I have had the odd "find". Went today to a new area of the town centre and low and behold I picked up David Bowie - Hunky Dory (+ Lyric sheet) & Nazareth - Ramananaz. Both 1st pressing, both in reasonable condition. A grand total of 3 quid! Had a quick look on popsike and they should flog for between £10-20 each, I thankyou :cool::cool:

Thing Fish
23-09-2011, 17:53
If your of a certain age 'Hunky Dory' will always (or should) hold a special place in everyones collection.

Wakefield Turntables
23-09-2011, 18:23
I'm 37 so I was born a little after it was released but I have heard it so many times I could probably sing it from start to finish.

snapper
23-09-2011, 18:54
Always loved 'Queen Bitch', a great track.

She's so swishy in her satin and tat
In her frock coat
and bipperty-bopperty hat
Oh God, I could do better than that

Thing Fish
23-09-2011, 19:16
Its about time they remastered the early Bowie albums (from the original analogue tapes) onto crisp 180g (pressed at Pallas) vinyl...:eek:

Marco
23-09-2011, 19:20
They have (with some), dude... I've got Space Oddity on 180g vinyl - sounds awesome! :)

Marco.

Thing Fish
23-09-2011, 19:21
Always loved 'Queen Bitch', a great track.

She's so swishy in her satin and tat
In her frock coat
and bipperty-bopperty hat

Ah they don't write em like that anymore...:lol:

snapper
23-09-2011, 19:27
Ah they don't write em like that anymore...:lol:

Great riff as well.

:rock:

Thing Fish
23-09-2011, 19:30
They have (with some), dude... I've got Space Oddity on 180g vinyl - sounds awesome! :)

Marco.

I'm onto google as we speak...:stalks:

Marco
23-09-2011, 19:48
It was the 40th anniversary limited edition :)

Marco.

colinB
23-09-2011, 20:13
There is a mobile fidelity press of ziggy kicking about. Goes for 40 quid on ebay. Dont think they have done hunky and dory.

colinB
23-09-2011, 20:20
I know people who listen to all there music on computers think its dumb listening to records and i sometimes wonder myself. But they dont get the pleasure of finding some treasure in a crappy shop. I still get the same buzz i got when i was a teenager. My best sounding music is cheap early 70s stuff i got for peanuts. Give em a spit and polish and wait for the magic to happen.:)

Thing Fish
23-09-2011, 20:25
I love the smell of freshly pressed vinyl in the morning...;)

The Grand Wazoo
23-09-2011, 20:29
The best pressing of Ziggy Stardust that I've heard is my Japanese one - it's superb.

Macca
23-09-2011, 21:21
I know people who listen to all there music on computers think its dumb listening to records and i sometimes wonder myself. But they dont get the pleasure of finding some treasure in a crappy shop. I still get the same buzz i got when i was a teenager. :)

So true :)

Wakefield Turntables
25-09-2011, 09:46
I know people who listen to all there music on computers think its dumb listening to records and i sometimes wonder myself. But they dont get the pleasure of finding some treasure in a crappy shop. I still get the same buzz i got when i was a teenager. My best sounding music is cheap early 70s stuff i got for peanuts. Give em a spit and polish and wait for the magic to happen.:)

I think you've hit the nail on the head perfectly. I bought 2 reasonable quality records for £3, I got a great buzz which last's even now and will do every time I look at the record. I'll remember where and when I found then. I think that adds to the joy of vinyl. Errmmmm Ahem........ Sorry about that guys, getting all duey eyed and nostalgic

Wakefield Turntables
25-09-2011, 09:47
The best pressing of Ziggy Stardust that I've heard is my Japanese one - it's superb.

Doh! Just noticed this post further down the thread. Isn't that because Japanese pressing use virgin vinyl rather than recycled crap that sometimes goes into pressing??

colinB
25-09-2011, 09:54
And probably because they EQ it properly from the source tapes ( or digital file,who knows )

The Grand Wazoo
25-09-2011, 09:57
Very likely all of the above, but it goes to prove that thick vinyl is not the be all and end all that it is being marketed as. Some Japanese pressings are very thin!

colinB
25-09-2011, 10:02
Agree. Plus i have 180gm stuff that i bought new that was warped so i dont see the big deal with thick stuff

wiicrackpot
25-09-2011, 10:50
I can't understand this fascination with all things from Japan must be good mentality,i am not having a dig at you Chris about the 'Ziggy' Jap vinyl.

Music lovers in the far east swings the other way,UK pressing everytime time (1st pressing if possible) then US prssings before they consider anything else and i agree.

colinB
25-09-2011, 11:12
Ive heard that say before but the Japanese do like their nostalgia to and i expect they have more desire for old English stuff over their own replicas.

Wakefield Turntables
25-09-2011, 20:22
Agree. Plus i have 180gm stuff that i bought new that was warped so i dont see the big deal with thick stuff

Agree with this totally. One of the best sounding records i own is a 125g copy of Pearl by Janis Joplin, put that on and I swear she's only sitting 6 foot away singing to me.

Thing Fish
25-09-2011, 20:28
The best sounding vinyl I have is a paper thin Spanish pressing of Paul Mcartney unplugged. Its so far ahead sonically than anything else I have its scary...!

Well it is to my buggered old lugholes...:)