PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Croatia

popol_vuh
04-11-2008, 21:31
I live in Zagreb, Croatia, am quite a young lad - 28 years old and most of all, I love music. So, since when i've discovered that one simply can't hear the music the way it's meant to be heard i'm very much into hi-fi. I'm quite a vinyl-head and primarily listen to 60s/70s progressive rock, kraut rock and newer experimental music.

I found out about your lovely forum through hi-fi wigwam.

So, cheers everyone :pub:

Marco
04-11-2008, 21:42
Hi Popul,

Welcome to AOS :)

Is that your first name?

It's good to see someone joining from Croatia. My father-in-law was born in Golinci, which I think is reasonably near Zagreb (it's hard to tell from the map I'm looking at on-line).

I love Croatia - the people are great and so is the food! Being from Italian descent, my country is not far from yours :smoking:

What system are you running?

Marco.

popol_vuh
04-11-2008, 22:05
Hehe Marco, that's great! Golinci is like you've said, reasonably near Zagreb (actually, any place in this country is reasonably near any other place here :) ). It's always nice to hear stuff like this about your father in law. And i'm not surprised you like Italian and Croatian cooking - actually they're quite similar and really good!

The system i'm running is rega p3/24 with DL-110, rega TTPSU, groovetracer subplatter, acrylteller platter and tecnoweight; EAR 864 preamp; quad 909 amp; quad 21L speakers. My next upgrade is most certainly going to be the speakers. Oh yeah, i also don't have a cd-player for quite some time now :lol:

Cheers Marco :cool:

P.S. My name iz Zvonimir, popol vuh is name of one of my favourite bands - it's a kraut rock band from 70s. If you've seen some films by Werner Herzog, they've done soundtracks for most of his films.

Marco
04-11-2008, 22:13
No problem, Zvonimir (great name, by the way!). Nice system - I particularly like your preamp. I was at the EAR factory recently with a friend. I met Mr Paravicini and watched preamps like yours being made :)

I like valve gear and vinyl just like you! Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself here and look forward to reading your opinions on music and hi-fi :smoking:

Marco.

popol_vuh
04-11-2008, 22:19
Oh yeah, that preamp truly is a great machine. It raised performance of my system so freaking much when i upgraded from quad 99 preamp to EAR. It must have been really cool visiting EAR factory and meeting Tim. Sometimes i wish i lived in England because you have opportunities like these, plus there's so many more dealers in England than in Croatia and also your 2nd hand market is much bigger than the one here.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, looking forward to being a part of this community :)

Beechwoods
04-11-2008, 22:27
Very cool Avatar, Mr Vuh :) Nick Cave ... have you read his book 'And The Ass Saw The Angel'. If you haven't, do! He did a CD of excerpts, read by himself too, which I highly recommend. A modern day renaissance man. Not unlike myself :lol:

Enjoy the forum and welcome!

Marco
04-11-2008, 22:28
The EAR factory was interesting and Tim is a real character!

We look forward to seeing you here often, Zvonimir :)

Marco.

popol_vuh
04-11-2008, 22:40
Thanks guys, you are very nice :).

Beechwoods - as you can see, the avatar is no more...i decided to put this nice english lady whom i admire very much as well for my avatar. I really love nick cave's later career and birthday party and have most of his and all birthday party vinyls. I haven't read and the ass saw the angel, but it does seem like a very interesting book. Recently i've read this biography of Nick:

http://xs433.xs.to/xs433/08452/badseed948.jpg (http://xs.to)

and it is really fascinating. About half of the book is about Birtday party. Anyway, it's really helpful in putting Cave's work, ethos and existence further into context!

Beechwoods
04-11-2008, 22:45
Nick's an interesting guy, I like his spoken and written stuff more than his music, I must say, though I should also mention his acting. 'Ghosts Of The Civil Dead' is extremely freaky! 'And The Ass Saw The Angel' really is worth reading. A book that reads kind of like a blues song, and if you've heard his voice, you can't help but read it with that voice in your head. So good I bought it twice (my first copy was stolen by someone I lent it to!).

Shame you flipped Nick for Kate on the Avatars! I've never been a special Kate Bush fan, though she does look nice, so I guess that's OK! You obviously have a thing for barking mad pop stars!

Cheers :)

popol_vuh
04-11-2008, 22:55
I must say, though I should also mention his acting. 'Ghosts Of The Civil Dead' is extremely freaky!

Shame you flipped Nick for Kate on the Avatars! I've never been a special Kate Bush fan, though she does look nice, so I guess that's OK! You obviously have a thing for barking mad pop stars!

Cheers :)

Oh yes, Ghosts of the civil dead is really really cool. I've also liked Nick's little appearance in Wim Wenders' "Himmel ueber Berlin" - great stuff.

The bold thing - QFT :smoking:

EDIT:

An interesting Birthday party live appearance on German TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvlS4BwTUQw

popol_vuh
04-11-2008, 23:24
I've just read your "basics of ethos" thread and i really like what you've written there. By skimming through several threads, I can see you're also really acting under those "rules". A big thumbs up guys ;)

John
05-11-2008, 08:14
Welcome to the board I use to have the 864 and like you it made a big improvement in the end found it to be a bit coloured for me but great preamp
I must try and listen to Popol Vuh what the best album to try out

Filterlab
05-11-2008, 08:48
Hi Zvonimir, lovely to have you on here. It's so nice when folk from around the world join up and join in, particularly when they've drifted over from another forum. ;)

Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

:)

Marco
05-11-2008, 09:07
I've just read your "basics of ethos" thread and i really like what you've written there. By skimming through several threads, I can see you're also really acting under those "rules". A big thumbs up guys ;)

Thanks, Zvonimir. We didn't just write those words 'for the good of our health'; we meant every word - they form the core of what AOS is and will continue to be all about :)

Marco.

popol_vuh
05-11-2008, 11:18
@ John - If you'd like to investigate popol vuh, i'd advise listening to albums "hosianna mantra", "einsjaeger und siebenjaeger", "letzte tage, letzte naechte" first. Their earlier records are mostly synth driven /florian fricke had the first moog in the whole kraut rock scene, which he sold to Klaus Schulze later on :). Those earlier records are more texture based - something like earlier Pink floyd (atom heart mother, saucerful of secrets, meddle) - but more abstract perhaps. Those records would be "affenstunde" and "in den gaerten pharaos".

@ filterlab - it's great being here and on the wam as well - i like your forums so very much :). Very nice, friendly people, great humour...spirited people.

@ Marco - that's truly great. The culture of discussing audio equipment without need for dick-swinging, without spitting at certain manufacturers, but at the same time putting your sincere thoughts and findings about equipment out is really great and it requires a lack of ego, which is often so inflated in this hobby.

Cheers guys :pub:

Filterlab
05-11-2008, 12:14
@ filterlab - it's great being here and on the wam as well - i like your forums so very much :). Very nice, friendly people, great humour...spirited people.

Glad to hear it my friend, it's due to our superb selection of members you see. ;)

John
05-11-2008, 20:44
I always wondered what Nick Cave and Kate Bush would sound like together they both have a way of telling stories within their music.
If you like Nick Cave check out Warrem Elis band the Dirty Three, for me the band come more into there own when live, Warren is a great player and well worth checkin out in his own right

popol_vuh
06-11-2008, 11:47
I always wondered what Nick Cave and Kate Bush would sound like together they both have a way of telling stories within their music.
If you like Nick Cave check out Warrem Elis band the Dirty Three, for me the band come more into there own when live, Warren is a great player and well worth checkin out in his own right

Oh yes, those two would make some stunning music together, i'm quite sure. It's both - the story-telling thing and their basic sensibilities. A whole album would be very nice indeed :).

Dirty three i do know and already listen to quite frequently, a great recommendation :smoking:

Togil
08-11-2008, 07:27
Do you have anything by Amon Duul ? ( Sorry i don't know how to do umlauts here)

popol_vuh
08-11-2008, 10:51
Do you have anything by Amon Duul ? ( Sorry i don't know how to do umlauts here)

Oh yes :). Phallus dei, Yeti, Tanz der lemminge, Psychedelic underground, Wolf city...quite a few Ash ra tempel records as well!

All bloody great IMO.

Togil
08-11-2008, 11:24
Excellent !
I saw them at Munich University once, around 1969

popol_vuh
08-11-2008, 14:12
Excellent !
I saw them at Munich University once, around 1969

Wow, that must have been something! However, it was 11 years before i was born :lol:

Filterlab
10-11-2008, 12:51
Hehehehehe. :)