PDA

View Full Version : AR 'The Turntable' for sale

macca63
20-09-2011, 15:02
Hi all

Just joined the group solely to see if anyone's interested in my old classic. I wanted to offer it to a dedicated crowd before going down the ebay road (and I'd rather not ship it if I'm honest even with the transit bolt and bubblewrap).

It's totally original apart from the cartridge (now a Grado Prestige Black) even down to the belt (which could probably do with replacing!) I even have a manual for it (somewhere!) It's served me faithfully for 25 years and still sounds and looks great (pics attached).

I've recently bought a new Rega RP1 (as much for aesthetics as anything - I know, I know but at least it's a decent deck! - driven partly by my girlfriend who has been on at me for two years to update and it's in white which was important apparently).

There's not too much info on pricing available but I feel that £150 is a fair asking price as it's a great deck, rare and has huge potential for upgrading.

Let me know if there's any interest. I'm in Wandsworth, South London.

Cheers

Tony

Barry
20-09-2011, 17:08
Hello Tony,

To make sure you haven't joined AoS simply to offer your turntable for sale, can you pop into the 'Welcome' area and introduce yourself.

Just tell us a little about yourself, what music you like to listen to and what gear you use to play it.

I'm sure there will be some interest of your turntable. Is it one of the later AR models? After 25 years the belt will most certainly need replacing. I would imagine replacement belts are still available. If they are, and with a bit of TLC (re-lubrication of the bearing), your asking price of £150 would, in my opinion, seem to be reasonable.

Welcome to AoS by the way!

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
20-09-2011, 23:03
Tony,
I owned several AR turntables including one of these and a 'Legend', the version that followed it. I can confirm that you have a very capable performer there - it's a beautiful deck too (give me all that walnut over your white Rega any day!). As you say, it will stand a lot of upgrading - my final version used the Zeta arm that I use now along with a Koetsu Black cartridge (I understand a certain UK based American audio journalist also used an AR with a Zeta at one stage).
Good luck with your Rega, but I can't help thinking that you're letting go of the better deck of the two!
This is a bargain, folks - I've seen them go for a good bit more than this price.

DSJR
21-09-2011, 08:24
The RP1 is another triumph of cost-effective engineering though and was listened to extensively in its develpment and evolution in fairness..

Marco
21-09-2011, 08:43
Lovely turntable, Tony. I hope it goes to a deserving home :)

Marco.

Lee Henley
21-09-2011, 09:16
Hi Tony

This looks a nice turntable and one I could be interested in however I am based in the West Midlands. I was wondering if you were planning on going to the National HiFi show at Milton Keynes area this sunday, if you were it may be a chance to do the deal.

Very best and speak soon

Lee

BTW - I tried to send a PM but could not do so!

icehockeyboy
21-09-2011, 09:51
Hello Tony,

To make sure you haven't joined AoS simply to offer your turntable for sale, can you pop into the 'Welcome' area and introduce yourself.

Welcome to AoS by the way!

Regards

In all fairness, he does mention that that is exactly why he joined in the first paragraph. :)

macca63
21-09-2011, 10:13
Dave R

Just wanted to comment on your quote - one of my fave bands from my teen years - pretty obscure, especially these days. I have most of my records still from this era, is this the music you're into?

Tony

DSJR
21-09-2011, 10:32
I first saw this band (Comsat Angels) when they were supporting Siouxsie some thirty odd years ago and liked what I heard. I think I have most of their albums on vinyl and that quote sums me up perfectly these days. I'm having huge fun going through all my old LP's again and it's currently the turn of the Comsats and Mr Numan.....

Barry
21-09-2011, 12:04
In all fairness, he does mention that that is exactly why he joined in the first paragraph. :)

Well this is all now post hoc, but Tony's first post on this thread was his first post on the Forum. The convention, if not protocol, is that new members introduce themselves first before they make subsequent posts.

Apologies if I appeared to have been heavy handed and usurped the eagle eyes of the 'Welcome Police'.

Marco
21-09-2011, 13:59
You did exactly the right thing, Barry. Please don't hesitate to do so again, should an appropriate situation arise :)

Marco.

icehockeyboy
22-09-2011, 09:32
You did exactly the right thing, Barry. Please don't hesitate to do so again, should an appropriate situation arise :)

Marco.

Absolutely! I was just pointing out that he came here "fully disclosed" as to his intentions. :)

macca63
22-09-2011, 13:00
Good stuff Dave!

I've been dusting off a few of these lately: B-52's, Bill Nelson, Cabaret Voltaire, Comsat Angels, The Cure, dalek i, Depeche Mode, Ian Dury, Echo & The Bunnymen, Fad Gadget, Fashion, Gary Numan (& Tubeway Army), Human League, John Foxx (& Ultravox), Joy Division, Killing Joke, Magazine, Modern Engllish, OMD, Scritti Politti, Simple Minds, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Tears For Fears, XTC, Young Marble Giants

macca63
22-09-2011, 13:08
Hi Lee

Sorry for the late reply.

No plans to go to the show I'm afraid. I'm not against shipping - just concerned about it being chucked around on the journey (I take part in Ironman races and - when racing abroad - always have to get my bike set up properly after rebuilding it due to the 'baggage handler' effect even though it's in a hard case and well padded).

I'm sure I can find a box big enough to wrap the deck in enough bubblewrap - not sure how much it would cost though!

Tony

macca63
22-09-2011, 13:47
Hey Barry

Apologies for not doing the welcome thing initially - this is a community after all! Nothing heavy handed about your approach whatsoever - I'm sure everyone feels better knowing the 'welcome police are out there ;)

Tony