PDA

View Full Version : These new UK-produced interconnects have certainly rattled my cage.

Neil McCauley
04-11-2008, 18:08
The full story, as requested by Marco after the abridged version was posted here.

Out of the blue a package arrived here recently. It contained a stereo pair of interconnects with reassuringly solid locking plugs. (HP Edit 7/1/09: Locking plugs too expensive. Makers have reverted to high quality non-locking) The cables felt curiously lightweight. Ordinarily I’d think … oh no …, not again, not another cable sample. But this one came from a person who I’ve worked with on and off for years – and who isn’t currently a supplier.

So I plugged them in. Cold and straight out of the jiffy bag.

Into my current fave system:

* Benchmark DAC-1 preamp
* LFD PA2M SE twin mono power amps (single chassis version),
* Eggleston speakers and
* Venerable, old but much loved Meridian 508.20 used as transport.

It didn’t matter where I inserted the interconnects in the system, the impact was the same. All the usual stuff like taut bass, sweet treble, openness – I guess you know the sort of phrases. The thing is though, initial reports indicate that these frankly extraordinary interconnects will apparently sell per channel for £19.00 – yes nineteen pounds. £38 per pair + carriage.

There’s no VAT. the company is too small.

And yes, they are making the industry standard profit. I know - because I asked. Makes you wonder about the margins the 'other guys' are making - right?

So now what do I do?

On the face if, this initial sample is not only sonically engaging as the best I have to offer – but available at truly a fraction of the lowest price interconnects I sell.

Let’s put this into perspective, with my commercial hat on.

If my target retained profit for interconnect sales (using my current interconnect range) in any one month is say £x as a consequence of selling y stereo pairs, then with these new interconnects as mentioned above, I have to sell at least, and I do mean at least 9y in order to achieve £x.

So – nine times the amount of work but on the other hand, potentially 9 times as many delighted customers.

I’ll very probably opt for the latter – if (a) I can persuade the maker to let me sell them and (b) production releases are as consistently engaging as the pre-production sample that I’ve received.

---//---

(HP Edit 5/1/09: The makers told me today that the run on cost per metre per channel is £2.00. XLR terminations are not currently available due to ongoing experimentation to hold the rather thin but sheathed wires securely in place.)

(HP Edit 7/1/09:For a AOS members-only reduced price special offer and 90 day sale or return, please click here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1774)

Marco
04-11-2008, 18:13
Oi, Mr Popeck, if you're going to start a thread report *ALL* of the information/story here! ;)

Marco.

P.S Thanks for the blues CD - most excellent :)

Neil McCauley
04-11-2008, 18:31
Oi, Mr Popeck, if you're going to start a thread report *ALL* of the information/story here! ;)

Marco.

P.S Thanks for the blues CD - most excellent :)
Okay. Fair enough. I'll do that right now.

Best

Howard

---//---

Marco
04-11-2008, 18:35
Thanks Howard - much appreciated. I hope you understand :)

Marco.

Neil McCauley
04-11-2008, 18:53
Thanks Howard - much appreciated. I hope you understand :)

Marco.

Even if I didn't, I'd certainly try to. But I did understand. No problem.

Strongly suggest everyone listen to 'Hesitation Blues' by Hot Tuna from the Live at Sweetwater Two CD. It won't solve world problems, but it does induce the sort of mellowness that Pussers Navy Rum (the 57% proof issue) does, but without the collateral damage!

---//---

sastusbulbas
06-11-2008, 21:44
Well if you do get these interconnects, post a pic n stuff, I am sure a few of us will buy some from you.

:)

Beechwoods
06-11-2008, 22:27
It certainly fits my budget. Now where do I get them?

Neil McCauley
07-11-2008, 09:35
First things first, it’s a solid core cable. Secondly the product (I only had a prototype) is scheduled for release in Q1 of 2009.

The solid cores are both thin and fragile on these prototypes. Work is being undertaken to (a) sleeve them in such a way as to add protection without impairing the sound and (b) making the mechanical interface with the heavy duty locking connectors more robust.

This in turn is now leading to protracted and apparently quite tedious but necessary listening tests to see if a more lightweight connector can equal or perhaps improve on the sonic performance of the heavy duty locking ones which, in turn, might make the strain relief aspect of the termination simpler – so I'm told.

Meanwhile the maker (not currently a supplier of mine but using me as a test bed) is from time to time sending me variants constructed to address the issues above. So far, no improvements sonically but a more solid termination in the plugs. One step at a time I guess.

More on this as and when I have something to report that might be worthwhile reporting.

Meanwhile, I have been listening yesterday to this on auto repeat. It’s not audiophile quality, no way. But in terms of technique and ‘magnetism’ this takes some beating – if you love the Blues. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fifpxqrgldse

Pressure of work at Stereonow (currently having its best ever month re sales) and my B2B software businesses means that I won’t be around on this forum for a while. I’ll be looking in from time to time but I guess will rarely have time to post new threads or reply. Gives others a decent chance thought – right?

---//---