PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 20.09.2011: Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief (1969) (CD, Vinyl,)

Vinyleyes
20-09-2011, 04:42
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6155/6164727211_26f80ff3d1_z.jpg

Here we have Liege and Lief by Fairport Convention which is one of my top 10 all time favourite records. Voted the most influential folk/rock album of all time I urge all of you who may not normally go near this genre simpy to find yourself in a nice place, nice mood, possibly with a three quarters drunk bottle of wine and put this on.
Do play it loud .. the powerful interplay between Thompson and Swarbrick on Matty Groves deserves it and if you have never heard the voice of Sandy Denny then prepare yourselves for finally meeting one of the finest female singer/songwriters that Britain has ever produced.
Dave Swarbrick has never been more fluent than during the version here of Toss the Feathers medley ... and the opening self penned track "Come All Ye" bounces with an infectious energy underpinned by the newly evolved drumming style of Dave Mattacks and terrific lead licks of an amazingly young Richard Thompson who has long since been one of Britain’s finest ever guitarists as well as being one of it's most original and proficient songwriters.
The only thing wrong with this album ( and it’s not a fault at all J ) is that it could not contain what IMHO I consider to be Fairport’s finest folk/rock moment on disc which would be "A Sailor’s Life" from the "Unhalfbricking" album. It outdoes Matty Groves for the Thompson/Swarbrick interplay and it also has Sandy singing her own classic "Who Knows where the Time Goes".

So as always it seems we would ask to put aside the preconceptions folks … just open up and listen to the timeless, melancholic beauty of Sandy’s voice, Thompson’s incredibly articulate guitar, Swarbrick’s peerless fiddle, Dave Mattacks pounding drumbeat supported by Ashley Hutchings and the ever present solid and reliable Simon Nicol …… :cool:

There are several links here to give you much more info on the album and the circumstances surrounding the newly evolved band at this time and what was sadly a very short lived Fairport lineup.

Spotify: [ spotify:album:1OicAgzQw7DaGNHzO8Zryf (http://open.spotify.com/album/1OicAgzQw7DaGNHzO8Zryf) ]
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liege_%26_Lief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liege_%26_Lief)
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/93796-fairport-convention-liege-and-lief-deluxe-edition (http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/93796-fairport-convention-liege-and-lief-deluxe-edition)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liege-Lief-Fairport-Convention/dp/B0000657UB/ref=pd_sim_m_h_2 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liege-Lief-Fairport-Convention/dp/B0000657UB/ref=pd_sim_m_h_2)
http://www.fairportconvention.com/the_liege_and_lief_story.php (http://www.fairportconvention.com/the_liege_and_lief_story.php)
http://www.allmusic.com/album/liege-lief-r7059/review (http://www.allmusic.com/album/liege-lief-r7059/review)

Thing Fish
20-09-2011, 05:47
Hmm I have one of their albums but not this one. I look forward to giving it a spin as it were...:)

MartinT
20-09-2011, 06:09
Thanks, Brian. I don't have it so I'll hook up Spotify to the 'big rig' tonight and have a listen. No intro to Sandy Denny required; she was the real deal.

John
20-09-2011, 06:17
I just quickly listened to the album for th first time but just using the laptop so really looking forward to hearing in its full glory latter. But so far I really like this

The Grand Wazoo
20-09-2011, 06:33
What a great choice!
Here's a good excuse to play a great album several times again over the course of a week. A great introduction too, Brian.
Cheers

griffo104
20-09-2011, 09:47
Interesting. Ive had this in may hands in HMV several times, it's on sale quite often, but there's always been something else more urgent to buy.

It looks like I have a proper excuse to go and have a listen now.

John
20-09-2011, 09:56
I given it a 4
I really like the album and to be honest its not something I would of tried out without this thread
The band has put a lot of thought into it and at times the music takes you on a journey. Thanks Brian a really good listn and something I will come back too

WAD62
20-09-2011, 10:11
I don't have this, so I've given the spotify version a good listen...

As a youth I grew up on a remote farm in Cumbria, our next door neighbours (about 1 mile away) were a commune of 'hippies' (rubbish term), who'd 'dropped out' (another rubbish term) to lead a self sufficient existence. Over the years they became very good friends, and they had some excellent parties/mini festivals. They were very keen on Fairport Convention, The Incredible String band, Planxty, The Albion Band etc, so the tracks on this album are quite familiar to me.

Quite obviously this is viewed as something of a classic of it's genre, and musically I find it very enjoyable, perhaps it goes a bit flat for me with Farewell, Farewell & the Deserter, but overall very nice, and Sandra Denny has a beautiful voice.

But here's where I have a problem with this album (or perhaps the genre to some extent), it's the oldie worldie englishie lyrics...'I did see that crow oh...I took my bow oh...and shot him through the hearty oh...all for my true love', or words to that effect.

I know that most of this is traditional, except for a couple of original tracks written in '69, but even their lyrics are written in a cod pre 18th century style.

I'm a big fan of Dead Can Dance, and they do exactly the same thing with traditional music, but for me they get away with it because they're often singing in a different language...If this album was sung in a foreign language I'd probably enjoy it more, I know that sounds strange, but for me lyrics really have to say something, or they are unintelligible and add to the melody.

This is probably why I'll always prefer Richard Thompson's solo stuff to Fairport Convention.

On balance I'll give it a 3, as for the oldie englishie, that's my own private hell ;)

aquapiranha
20-09-2011, 10:14
I have been a fan of this album for many years. I particularly like anything to do with Sandy Denny, so I would like it wouldn't I?

Welder
20-09-2011, 10:29
What an interesting choice.
Fairport Convention, never short on ideas or the talent to turn those ideas into something that has a much broader appeal than the “folk” label might lead one to believe.
I’ve always liked what Fairport do and this album is no exception. I have it on CD, file and a taped vinyl copy.
I must confess I tend to listen to a compilation of Fairport these days rather than a complete Fairport album but I’ve given this a full play this morning and still think this is a magical album.
I think these days I prefer to listen to bands like Crooked Still or as Will suggests Dead Can Dance for my folk music fix but that certainly doesn’t detract from the gorgeous voice of Sandy Denny or the talent of the band overall.
4 out of 5 from me.

keiths
20-09-2011, 11:43
Thought I had this on vinyl, but I can't find it :scratch:
I do have it on CD though and haven't played it for a while ('Unhalfbricking' usually get the nod when I'm in the mood for Fairport), so I look forward to listening properly to it over the next few days. Good choice :)

Audioman
20-09-2011, 15:16
This album always gets the nod as the best Fairprort album. Frankly I prefer the earlier recordings which gave more scope for Sandy and Richard's song writing skills to shine. In retrospect no surprise Sandy Denny left after this and Thompson only did one more.

Still an excellent album due to the musicianship and arranging of traditional material. Thompson's Farewell Farewell sounds like an old song with Tam Lin being the highlight for me. It was downhill after this and I have little interest in later output. Just off to play my pink rim which is a little noisy.

Audioman
20-09-2011, 16:21
I do concur that this does sound gorgeous and is not just a folk album. Fairport added something unique to this music which never worked so well again. The addition of Dave Swarbrick on this album realy added to the musical palet with his playing and arranging. It's a shame they don't record albums as well as this today as it would make much of the new folk movement more listenable. I give it 4 out of 5 as I prefer Unhalfbricking.

The Grand Wazoo
20-09-2011, 17:19
Just off to play my pink rim which is a little noisy.

I understand that a dab of vaseline may help with this.

MartinT
20-09-2011, 18:32
I understand that a dab of vaseline may help with this.

I have some spare if needed.

Marco
20-09-2011, 18:38
Phnar, phnar..... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Alex_UK
20-09-2011, 20:38
Bunch of kids. I didn't even snigger at that. Ok, maybe I did! :lol:

What I love about Album Club is being "forced" to listen to something I wouldn't normally encounter. Second play - enjoying it, but it hasn't truly blown me away - without wishing to offend, this is the sort of music my mum and dad loved when I was a kid (this album was released the year I was born) so I guess naturally I wouldn't have been drawn to it, on that account alone. I will make some more observations after some further listening, but a good choice Brian - continued diversity, which can only be a good thing. :)

Barry
20-09-2011, 21:23
Just played my vinyl copy. Certainly liked the album when it first came out, though my copy was bought later (stampers are A5/B5).

As others have said, it was the first example of a genre that became known as "Folk rock", and probably the best. I preferred Fairport Convention to Steeleye Span and Mr Fox

I haven't played Liege and Lief for years, and playing it again has been interesting. Dave Swabrick makes a fine debut on this album, and as always Sandy Denny is superb.

However it didn't continue to remain that way: in my opinion Swabrick, on subsequent albums, 'hijacked' the sound and Fairport simply 'turned the handle of the folk rock machine'. I didn't buy any of their later albums and through my annoyance, rechristened Swabrick with a less than polite homeonym! (He later redeemed himself, in my eyes, with his playing on 'Quiet Joys of Brotherhood' on one of Sandy Denny's solo titles.)

But within the genre this album is as good as it gets. A good balance of folk ballads with up-tempo jigs with of course Denny's wonderful voice. I'm not sure the same sound would have been achieved had Martin Lamble not been killed in a tragic road accident and replaced by Dave Mattacks, but we will never know.

I'm not at all impressed by the recording quality. Denny and Swabrick are fine, Thompson less so, but the bass is poorly recorded: thick and lumpy, bass and kick drum barely distinguishable.

I prefer the earlier 'What We Did on Our Holidays' and 'Unhalfbricking', but we are discussing 'Liege and Lief'. Enjoyed it again, but perhaps not quite as much as I used to. Would like to score it 3.5/5, but I can't, so 3/5.

WAD62
21-09-2011, 07:33
I prefer the earlier 'What We Did on Our Holidays' and 'Unhalfbricking', but we are discussing 'Liege and Lief'. Enjoyed it again, but perhaps not quite as much as I used to. Would like to score it 3.5/5, but I can't, so 3/5.

Hi Barry, did you register your vote? I also gave it 3/5 yesterday, but there's still only one 3 vote showing at the moment...:scratch:

Vinyleyes
21-09-2011, 10:40
However it didn't continue to remain that way: in my opinion Swabrick, on subsequent albums, 'hijacked' the sound and Fairport simply 'turned the handle of the folk rock machine'. I didn't buy any of their later albums and through my annoyance, rechristened Swabrick with a less than polite homeonym! (He later redeemed himself, in my eyes, with his playing on 'Quiet Joys of Brotherhood' on one of Sandy Denny's solo titles.)

Barry .. not questioning your comments at all .. but just adding this for reference and possible listening ideas ... Did you ever hear Swarb playing with Thompson's superb replacement, Jerry Donahue, on "Fairport Live" recorded in Oz ........ they do an absolutely knockout version of Sloth ... ... Thompson is pretty hard to replace but Jerry Donahue puts his own stamp all over it with some mesmerising licks and Swarb certainly not going through the motions.

Also Swarb has toured forever on and off with Martin Carthy .. and the 2 of them together playing English folk ( which is MUCH harder to get into then Irish folk IMO ) make for an intricate and rewarding listening experience.

:cool: ........... and I probably would have chosen "Unhalbricking" myself except for all the Dylan covers on it .. but having said that .. they are superb versions ..... :)

keiths
21-09-2011, 11:33
I really enjoyed listening to this again lastnight (even though the last time would only have been a couple of months ago) and have been hummimg "Crazy Man Michael" all morning :lol:

'Unhalfbricking' still just shades it for me, but both are essential albums that EVERYBODY should have in their collections imo.

4 stars ****

Barry
21-09-2011, 11:43
Hi Barry, did you register your vote? I also gave it 3/5 yesterday, but there's still only one 3 vote showing at the moment...:scratch:

Seems I didn't. Last night was a concatination of Forum cock ups for me! :(

Have scored it 3/5, as I said I would, though I wonder if I have been a bit harsh. I intend re-playing it today, when no doubt, I will regret my decision not to score it higher.

Barry
21-09-2011, 11:54
Hi Brian,

I realise I have been a bit scathing of Swabrick, but I really did dislike the way he seemed to dominate the Fairport albums, post Liege and Lief.

He was superb playing on Sandy and I have heard him playing with Martin Carthy, so he has redeemed himself.

The only album I have featuring Jerry Donahue is Fotheringay: a one-off collaboration with Sandy Denny, returning to the early Fairport folk sound. I just love the track 'Banks of the Nile'.

Regards

Vinyleyes
21-09-2011, 12:10
Hi Brian,

I realise I have been a bit scathing of Swabrick, but I really did dislike the way he seemed to dominate the Fairport albums, post Liege and Lief.

He was superb playing on Sandy and I have heard him playing with Martin Carthy, so he has redeemed himself.

The only album I have featuring Jerry Donahue is Fotheringay: a one-off collaboration with Sandy Denny, returning to the early Fairport folk sound. I just love the track 'Banks of the Nile'.

Regards

Yes indeed .. I love her singing that ... the haunting quality of her voice really comes over on it ..

Check this out for Donahue with Fairport .. he is really really good when they are on song .. Sloth on this is awesome ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairport_Live_Convention

Cheers ...

WAD62
21-09-2011, 12:11
Seems I didn't. Last night was a concatination of Forum cock ups for me! :(

Have scored it 3/5, as I said I would, though I wonder if I have been a bit harsh. I intend re-playing it today, when no doubt, I will regret my decision not to score it higher.

Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to force your vote...I was just a little confused. :)

Audioman
21-09-2011, 12:14
Hi Brian,

Regards

An approachable album by the Carthy/Swarb combo is 'Life and Limb' made around 89/90. I doubt this can be found other than on physical media. Although it gets bad reviews I also like Fairport's 'Rising For The Moon' featuring the temporary return of Sandy. This is more a Fotheringay line up being largely populated by ex members incl Donahue and Trevor Lucas. Produced by Glyn Johns which makes it worth a listen in any case.

Individual Carthy/Swarbrick tracks are on Spotify from L and L inc 'A Question of Sport'.

Barry
21-09-2011, 12:25
Although it gets bad reviews I also like Fairport's 'Rising For The Moon' featuring the temporary return of Sandy. This is more a Fotheringay line up being largely populated by ex members incl Donahue and Trevor Lucas. Produced by Glyn Johns which makes it worth a listen in any case.

I used to have 'Rising for the Moon', and know what you mean. However for whatever reason, I couldn't have liked it sufficiently to have kept it.

You are now going to make me regret my decision!

Thanks for the Carthy/Swabrick title - I'll check it out. :)

Vinyleyes
21-09-2011, 12:34
An approachable album by the Carthy/Swarb combo is 'Life and Limb' made around 89/90. I doubt this can be found other than on physical media. Although it gets bad reviews I also like Fairport's 'Rising For The Moon' featuring the temporary return of Sandy. This is more a Fotheringay line up being largely populated by ex members incl Donahue and Trevor Lucas. Produced by Glyn Johns which makes it worth a listen in any case.

Individual Carthy/Swarbrick tracks are on Spotify from L and L inc 'A Question of Sport'.

Yeah I love that album .. Sandy is in superb form on the title track ..

If you can find it this a brilliant Live album recorded at what was almost my local pub in 81' ... he is playing as a duo with Simon Nicol in the public bar for about 30 people .. it is as live as music ever can get on a record .. superb stuff.

Live at the White Bear (White Bear, 1981)

colinB
21-09-2011, 12:51
A personal favorite. Never got into any of the other albums.

DanJennings
21-09-2011, 18:16
Fantastic album, probably the best of the Sandy Denny era, Fairport still play half of these songs at their concerts.... I really enjoyed digging this one out for a spin. A true original.

Highlights for me were Matty Groves, Tam Lin and Come All Ye, but it really is just a great record from start to finish.

A few people have slightly derided Fairport's later work, but I think a lot of the post Sandy Denny/Richard Thompson stuff is excellent, 'Babbacombe Lee' being probably my favourite album of theirs. Also their latest, 'Festival Bell' is great.

I think for me it would be a bit of an insult to give this album less than 5 stars, so I won't!

The Grand Wazoo
21-09-2011, 23:38
This is a great album and a fantastic choice for Album Club, because I'm guessing that quite a few people haven't heard it, which is a brilliant foil against those of us who will inevitably know it well & rave endlessly about it!

My first exposure to FP was the final track on this album 'Crazy Man Michael' and I discovered it on a compilation tape that had been made for my sister by her boyfriend of the time (I was about 14 or so). Since then, that track has never been far from me - one of those tunes that I hear in my head in odd moments.

I've flirted around with FP for years, but only recently got serious about listening properly to their back catalogue. Strangely enough, though, Sandy Denny has always been high in my list of favourite female singers.

I completely agree that this and 'Unhalfbricking' should be a compulsory component of everyone's music collection. Colin - you might like their first album as it's a lot more 'west coast' than anything else they did.

If this album was made despite the fact that they'd just suffered a personal and professional disaster (the loss of their drummer in a road accident), imagine what they'd have come up with if times had been good!

As mentioned earlier:
Play it loud...........really loud ..........and let the sound of Sandy Denny's incredible voice consume you.

MartinT
22-09-2011, 06:44
For years Fairport Convention have been just a name to me. I don't think of folk rock as being quite my cup of tea but I have always respected Sandy Denny's voice and do have one of her albums (Sandy).

So what do I make of this album? A fresh and different sound, certainly, and very English. Good sound quality, too, considering its age. I think Jefferson Airplane are more to my taste but the two make an interesting comparison. To be honest it won't be making my regular playlist but I shall certainly put a copy in my Amazon basket.

Crazy Man Michael is my favourite song. 3 stars I think for me.

The Grand Wazoo
22-09-2011, 07:11
I think Jefferson Airplane are more to my taste but the two make an interesting comparison. To be honest it won't be making my regular playlist but I shall certainly put a copy in my Amazon basket.

Then you should certainly get a listen to the first Fairport album, Martin as it's very much like an English Airplane (no Sandy Denny, but only a fiver from Amazon)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QFZKueThL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

MartinT
22-09-2011, 08:41
Thanks Chris, will do.

Barry
22-09-2011, 10:52
One thing is for certain, this Album Club choice has had me playing all of my Fairport Convention, Fotheringay and Sandy Denny records.

Now that can't be a bad thing! So Liege and Lief was an excellent choice after all. :)

Thanks

ursus262
24-09-2011, 18:56
Sandy Denny's voice was, as ever, absolutely wonderful. It would appear that the death of their drummer brought out the best in them. Artists often thrive in times of adversity, and it is in evidence on this album. All in all, a good choice and it is one of our favourites.

Tim
27-09-2011, 08:44
Well this album is an easy listen for me, in fact this thread made me go and buy the double CD deluxe version, as I only had the single CD before. I first heard this when it was released as my brother bought it. Around that time he was listening to King Crimson, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind and Led Zeppelin, so this was quite unusual and very different to what I was used to hearing (when I was allowed to venture into his room). I instantly loved it and Matty Groves was my favourite track then and still is. Imagine my surprise when Robert Plant and Alison Krauss included Matty Groves in a medley on the Raising Sand tour..... that made my night.

5 stars here :)

Canetoad
27-09-2011, 08:45
Didn't like this much. Too folky for me. I give it a 2.

Bazil
27-09-2011, 21:18
Only just found the Album club so playing catch-up .
Amazingly I bought this on vinyl the Friday before it was chosen. My first folk record and I love it, will be playing it many times in the coming weeks. 4/5

Thing Fish
27-09-2011, 22:15
So I finally got to hear this album and I liked it. More than I thought I would like twiddley beard music.

I now have an urge to whittle and utter hey nonny nonny to passers by...?

4/5

Stratmangler
27-09-2011, 23:22
Didn't like this much. Too folky for me. I give it a 2.

Would this be because its English folky and not Irish or Scottish folky ?
First song (Come All Ye) conjures images of gallumping around in wellies for me, but I don't hold it against the album.

Truth is I quite like the album, but it's very white, if you know what I mean ;)

DanJennings
28-09-2011, 18:35
Truth is I quite like the album, but it's very white, if you know what I mean ;)

What about the bit on track 3 when Richard Thompson starts a freestyle rap battle with Dave Swarbrick?