PDA

View Full Version : S.I.P.P's

Covenant
19-09-2011, 19:25
Had a Independant financial adviser around toninght. He wants to move all my little pots of pension money into a self investing pension plan. The money would then be invested in a variety of countries, for example buying agricultural land in Argentina.
Anyone else looked at doing this or decided that it was too risky and kept with traditional investments that don't keep up with inflation?

Reid Malenfant
19-09-2011, 19:29
From what i have been reading (& it makes a whole lot of sense) it pays to spread the risk via multiple investments.

That way even if one or more don't do too well :rolleyes: the rest should bring you in a good one...

Me, i don't think i'll last that long :lol:

Covenant
19-09-2011, 19:41
Yes, thats what he is suggesting Mark. What surprises me is that you are investing directly, not buying shares in some anonymous organisation. So, as an example, you would buy a hotel room in the Carribean and get yield from the return every year. Charges are higher and risk is higher but reward potentially far greater.

DaveK
19-09-2011, 19:55
Hi Jerry,
Question to ask yourself with risky investments: - can you survive comfortably if it all goes 'tits up'? In other words is it to provide you with your bread and butter or just to put a bit of jam on it?
FWIW, with pensions I tend to play safe but YMMV :) .
Good Luck either way :) .
Dave.

Beechwoods
19-09-2011, 20:17
There are those who say the smart money is on gold and agricultural land. There's something to be said for diversifying into less traditional 'instruments' given the volatility of the mainstream economy. There is a risk around investing in small organisations with limited 'spread' and that is where good financial advice is really important. Hopefully your adviser will have a local presence and knowledge if investing in local concerns.

Once upon a time things were simple. A pension and some savings. These days pension plans are not the be-all and savings are stagnant. The stockmarket only seems to make money for those who can afford to play the to and fro' of minor rises and falls (those with an awful lot of money and the ability to buy and sell in near-real time - not the likes of you and me!).

This made me weep (http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/apple-briefly-becomes-the-worlds-most-valuable-company-197714-Aug2011) (proverbially) recently... "if you had opted against buying a first-generation iPod and instead spent your $399 buying Apple shares, your investment would now be worth $16,309 – enough to buy an iPad 2 for yourself and 31 friends at today’s prices, with enough change to buy seven iPod shuffles."

Wakefield Turntables
19-09-2011, 20:18
Buy good quality cyclical shares i.e. National Grid, Vodaphone etc, very very low risk, very boring but they are consistant, slow increase in price and generate an inflation busting dividend. You may also be able to bag some value from depressed share value, again Glaxo Smith Kline and Vodafone being 2 good examples.

Covenant
19-09-2011, 21:07
In answer to your question Dave, my wife will have a good teachers pension to I guess that will provide the bread and butter. Probaly down size the house to release some cash too.
I do think we are in a different age now where traditional investing just barely keeps up with inflation at best. I am very tempted to take a chance with this once I have looked into it a bit more.

DaveK
19-09-2011, 21:36
Jerry,
My daughter is also a teacher and I understand she will have to work longer for a smaller pension. Might this mean that the loaf of bread may not be as big and/or not delivered as early as anticipated?
I guess I'm just cautious :scratch: .
Dave.

MartinT
19-09-2011, 21:40
I will leave all my pensions separate. As Mark says, spread the load and the risk. Also as Mark says, I doubt that I'll get to enjoy it :eek:

The Grand Wazoo
19-09-2011, 21:44
Agreed. Spread your bets.
This is good advice, take it from me - someone whose pension plan will start paying back when I'm about 155 years old!

DaveK
19-09-2011, 21:57
Nothing to add (to the spread the risk advice) other than to say this is my 1,000th post :cool: :eek:
Dave.

Alex_UK
19-09-2011, 23:01
Jerry, my wife is an Independent Financial Adviser (very good and highly qualified - but currently asleep - not a technical term!) - I will ask her unbiased opinion on this tomorrow, and let you know what she thinks.

Welder
19-09-2011, 23:51
This is a wind up right? :lolsign:

You’ve had a qualified independent financial adviser round and now you’re asking this lot who can’t even pick out a decent tune, or a decent bit of kit to play it on, what to do with your money? :doh:

You’re way past any help mate and if the whole business is stressing you out you can always give me the money and go happily nodding into your dotage, if you’re not already there which seems likely on the evidence above :mental:

Covenant
20-09-2011, 07:10
Jerry, my wife is an Independent Financial Adviser (very good and highly qualified - but currently asleep - not a technical term!) - I will ask her unbiased opinion on this tomorrow, and let you know what she thinks.

Cheers Alex-much appreciated. I can P.M more details if required.

This is a wind up right?

Lots of very comfortably off people on this forum methinks, I bet they have their pensions well sorted. I bet Marco has millions stashed away!

Marco
20-09-2011, 07:58
Mostly tied up in property, dude, or buried underneath the floorboards... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Macca
20-09-2011, 12:13
What's a pension? :eek:

Joe
20-09-2011, 12:32
Lots of very comfortably off people on this forum methinks, I bet they have their pensions well sorted. I bet Marco has millions stashed away!

Did you ask the IFA's advice on your hifi?

Joe
20-09-2011, 12:34
What's a pension? :eek:

A French guest-house.

Wakefield Turntables
20-09-2011, 18:51
Dont put anything into the stock market its due another correction probably something north of 4800 in the next 3 months, property is probably gonna be your next bet. I can get nearly a 9% return on some of the properties around where I live + the value of them going up when the housing market picks up. There is going to be a whole generation of 20 something too skint to buy a house who'll end up renting :cool: