PDA

View Full Version : OMG - DREAM THEATER - A Dramatic turn of Events

Wakefield Turntables
19-09-2011, 18:05
If there was ever a record that could test how nimble your system was then this surely has to be the ultimate test records. Track 3 is like a bloody machine gun being fired at you. Discuss.....

John
19-09-2011, 18:14
I been a big fan ever since the day I heard the first album in Shades many yeas ago I was both nights at The Marquee and did Ronnoe Scots to. I am looking to hearing how they sound I thought the last album Black Clouds was pretty good return to form but not paying the crazy money they are asking for tickets. But to be honest think this is either a love or really dislike band
Cheers for the recommendation

Wakefield Turntables
19-09-2011, 18:26
WOW Another DT fan. Well start saving 20 quid for the Systemic Chaos album, this is a way superior album compared to black clouds and silver linings. If you want to hear how bass on a technics 1210 should sound like them just listen to side 2. Nuff said, these albums rock :guitar::hairmetal: and any relevant smilies! :cool:

John
19-09-2011, 18:49
So the vinyl version mastered well

John
19-09-2011, 18:58
Most people I know perfer the heaviness of Black Clouds to the Muse leanings of Systmatic Chaos
I love The Count Of Tuscany like the Ytse Jam showing their Rush influnces

John
19-09-2011, 19:23
Opps getting confussed with the awful Octverian

sparrow
19-09-2011, 19:36
I like the new album but feel they have treaded no new ground. I much prefer Black Clouds. I still feel they done the dirty on Mike Portnoy and although he almost begged to come back he was refused. The new drummer is of course well up to the job and I suppose the band have their reasons for Mike's dismisall. I've followed DT since their first album but sadly never been to a gig of theirs.

Welder
19-09-2011, 19:39
Dream Theater > Rush meets Ozric Tentacles :)
Not heard anything from them I didn’t like.

John
19-09-2011, 19:57
For me losing Mike was a big loss He was the main thrust in the band and without his drive the band would of never of been so big
I seen them well over 20 times

John
19-09-2011, 19:58
Dream Theater > Rush meets Ozric Tentacles :)
Not heard anything from them I didn’t like.

Lol
I used to say Rush meets Metallica:)

Wakefield Turntables
19-09-2011, 20:15
Opps getting confussed with the awful Octverian

Octovarium wasnt bad, just not there best! I saw DT at hammersmith Odeon and John Petrucci did a complete note perfect guitar solo of Flight of the wounded bumblebee, it just blew me away. As for Mike Pourtney, I think he may return. If DT are this good with a new drummer, who knows what they will be like when the new ones bedded in. I must say I'm a little mixed. Mike Pourtney has to be the best prog drummer but the new guy is F'kin excellent :eek:

John
19-09-2011, 20:19
Without Mike they would be no Dream Theater it was him that kept the band focused in those dark days

WOStantonCS100
19-09-2011, 20:52
The band Mike's in now, Adrenaline Mob, is pretty kick - - - , if you like just straight, balls out old school metal.

Mike Mangini, is quite a storied drummer. His resume is long and impressive. Quite simply, he is a true drum monster. But, Portnoy was definitely the personality of DT. As a fan, I'll continue to buy the music; but, a bit less likely to go see them as an essential element of "the show" will forever be missing without MP. Case in point, MP showed up at the last G3 show I attended (Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci). Now, mind you, this is a "guitar show" full to the brim with guitar players. The place went freakin' nuts when Mike Portnoy walked out on stage! He hadn't even took his place behind the kit yet.