PDA

View Full Version : Review: Angle Audio phono stage

keiths
18-09-2011, 12:56
http://www.simister.com/public/angle_phono_stage.jpg

This phono stage has recently replaced a Cambridge Audio 540p in my modest system (see kit list in my signature for details). Having now lived with it for several days, I thought I'd share my opinions here.

These phono stages are made in Suffolk and sold on eBay by Angle Audio (eBay username: “949person”). Several standard options are available and, as each unit is made individually, tailoring input sensitivity, gain and loading to your specific cartridge during manufacture may be possible. Delivery was quick - I ordered mine on a Sunday afternoon and it was delivered on Thursday.

My phono stage is the “Audiophile Phono Preamp with 'virtual battery'” moving magnet version (1.25mV to 5mV input sensitvity, 47KOhm loading) which currently sells for £145 including signed-for delivery in the UK. A moving coil version (0.15mV to 0.5mV, 470Ohm) is also available at the same price. Other options include a version without the 'virtual battery' (for £25 less) or with switchable MM and MC inputs (£25 more).

The unit appears to be well constructed in a sturdy metal case. Rear panel connections are as expected – a pair of phono sockets for the input and a pair for connection to your amplifier. A substantial earth terminal and a DC power socket complete the picture. The front panel has a single toggle switch and pair of LEDs. A large and heavy 15v plug-top mains power supply is provided – so large that I needed to shave a couple of millimetres of plastic off the side of my turntable mains plug to allow them to fit into adjacent mains sockets.

Operation is straight-forward. With the toggle switch in the “up” position, the phono stage is “off” (left-hand LED not illuminated) and the internal battery is set to either “fast charge” (indicated by the right-hand (green) LED flashing), or “trickle charge” (right-hand LED steady green) depending upon the charge currently held by the battery. Flicking the switch “down” turns on the unit (left-hand LED glows red) and the battery goes to “trickle charge” mode. I could detect no hum or other unwanted noise from the speakers nor from the unit or its power supply when switched on.

First LP spun was Everything But The Girl's “Walking Wounded” . This album has lots of very low, tight bass and it was evident from the fist few notes that this bass sounded deeper and more tuneful than via the Cambridge Audio stage. This bass quality and extension was also very evident on the next record – a live version of Kraftwerk's “Radioactivity” (Promo-only 12” single) which sounded fantastic.

Next up was the Cowboy Junkies “The Trinity Session”. Soundstage width and depth here were excellent and the treble sounded clean and extended without any signs of harshness nor undue emphasis of sibilance (the track “Sweet Jane” I have found to be a good test of this). Good resolution of detail was in evidence - the noises from the heater in the church were very clearly audible.

Listening continued throughout the day with a bunch of LPs all recorded in 1972 – Bowie's “Ziggy Stardust”, Jethro Tull's “Thick as a Brick”, ELP's “Trilogy” and Steely Dan's “Can't Buy A Thrill”. Each one had my toes tapping and I found it hard to listen critically as I was enjoying the music too much – always a good sign!

One operational quirk should be mentioned here. Although the battery is held in “trickle charge” mode when the unit is switched on, it is still possible to flatten the battery after about 6 hours continuous play. If this happens, the only option is to switch the phono stage off to allow the battery to fast charge. This is something I can live with, but I could see this being a consideration for some people.

So in conclusion, I find this phono stage to be a vast improvement on the Cambridge Audio one with an excellent, well-balanced sound throughout and is great value for £145.

John
18-09-2011, 13:10
Cheers Keith
I am tempted to go down this route latter on as like the idea of battery operated phono stages

Simon_LDT
18-09-2011, 15:29
I purchased one of these recently too. Previously, I was just using the internal phono stage on my Marantz PM7001, but this sounds better already. Still need to do more listening though, but so far a big thumbs up from me.

keiths
18-09-2011, 15:54
Hi Simon,

Yes, I'm very happy with mine.

Welcome to AoS, by the way :wave:

Before any of the mods catch up with you, maybe you could pop over to the "Welcome" (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) area of the forums and tell us a bit about yourself, your system and your musical taste? This is a requirement for all members here.

Cheers,

Audioman
18-09-2011, 16:40
Thanks for the review Keith. However it would be more usefull if comparison could be made with much more expensive phono stages as I suspect something direct from manufacturer on ebay for £145 ought to be equal to a product up to £500 sold through the traditional routes. Bespoke casework, advertising, distributor mark up, dealer mark up and VAT being adding to the cost. No surprise that it beats a Cambridge easily if competently designed.

keiths
18-09-2011, 16:45
Oh I agree entirely - it's probably more than the rest of my stuff justifies to be honest, but there didn't seem to be much point me upgrading the CA 540P to (say a 640P) when for another £50 I could get something that should be good enough to stay when I upgrade my turntable etc.

jandl100
18-09-2011, 17:38
I have had one of these for 6 months or so, I give it an occasional plug on the AoS threads! Take a look at my siggie, below. ;)

I started off at the bargain end of the range, and was so pleased with the sound I had to try the top model. It didn't disappoint. :)

Thanks for the review Keith. However it would be more usefull if comparison could be made with much more expensive phono stages as I suspect something direct from manufacturer on ebay for £145 ought to be equal to a product up to £500 sold through the traditional routes.

Absolutely!
And I am happy to oblige ...

I have directly compared it to a Slee Amp2 - it easily beat it.
Ditto for a £250 Edwards Audio 'stage.
Also a Trichord Dino with standard PSU. Once again, no contest. I am sure though, that a Dino with a NC PSU would come out on top, but then that is a giant killer and would beat most 'stages in my experience.
A MF XLPSv2/PSUv3 and a Heed Questar have also graced my system in the fairly recent past, and I can confidently say that I prefer the Angle Audio.

It gets a top recommendation from me. :) At £150 or so it's a genuine steal. :thumbsup:

Take a look at the eBay listing here ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130572783649?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
That listing is for the mains powered version at somewhat lower cost, but details of others in the range are also mentioned.

legalhippy
19-09-2011, 19:06
I just got one of these Angle Audio phono stages and am quite impressed so far, it is to go into the system in place of a Trichord Dino (with Dino+PSU and High Performance Power Cable) so has a lot to live up to.

So far I have found the mid-range and bass to be comparable to the Dino and certainly lively without doubt. The top end detail is nowhere near as open and somewhat restrained, will be interesting to see with a bit more playing whether that will sort itself out.

One gripe, and it will hopefully not be major, the transformer that came with it buzzes like a hive full of bees. I have informed the seller, will be interesting to see if it can be resolved quickly and easily.

Test records played so far are: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Pink Floyd Dark Side, Martha & the Muffins -Metro Music, Bjork - Vespertine and New Order - Blue Monday 12".
All sounded good apart from the Miles Davis, a bit flat.

Will probably write a more comprehensive review at some point in the future but at the moment I would say the Dino is still well ahead overall.

John
19-09-2011, 19:08
Did you get the battery version

Gromit
19-09-2011, 19:47
at the moment I would say the Dino is still well ahead overall.

That's informative to hear, and puts the Angle into some kind of sonic perspective. I once owned a Dino of the same spec as yours (but with the std power cable) so I know it well; it was an enjoyable phono amp and obviously very versatile. I did find that the phonostage in my Exposure Super XV to be superior though, hence the Dino got sold on.

Will be very keen to read of your on-going experiences with the Angle, and to hear if its sonics open up for you. :)

legalhippy
19-09-2011, 21:45
Did you get the battery version

Yes it is the one with the Virtual Battery.

I will be doing some serious listening over the next few days and into the weekend.

According to the seller, the units take around a week to 'burn in'.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know the best DP switch settings on the Dino for a Denon DL-304 cartridge? I find when playing singles that I get serious clipping, which is the reason I have been looking for something else.

legalhippy
21-09-2011, 18:56
Day three with the Angle Audio, playing David Gilmour at Gdansk and Pink Floyd's The Wall (Jap one, superb sounding).

Found that the Angle was still sounding somewhat flat and lifeless at the top end so to make sure that it wasn't just my ears going I plugged the Trichord back in (after getting advice on DP settings for the cartridge).

I know it hasn't been a week since getting the Angle unit and it obviously hasn't burnt in yet but there is just no contest whatsoever. The music suddenly sounded alive again, wonderful highs, great mids and the full bass I knew so well.

If I could just figure out why it clips so much playing singles I would send the Angle one back. I certainly can't afford to change the amp at the moment, (anyone know anything about Primare Amps and their input allowances?)

Still, I am going to give the Angle unit a good run in over the weekend and decide what to do next. :doh:

Reid Malenfant
21-09-2011, 19:03
Hi Michael :) Would you mind popping into the welcome section & introducing yourself as this is required of all new members on AoS.

Some details such as your system & musical preferences would go down a treat to chap ;)

Thanks in advance!

Spectral Morn
22-09-2011, 14:05
I purchased one of these recently too. Previously, I was just using the internal phono stage on my Marantz PM7001, but this sounds better already. Still need to do more listening though, but so far a big thumbs up from me.

Welcome to AOS Simon

Could you please on your return pop into the Welcome section of the forum and formally say hello to the AOS community by telling us a wee bit about yourself, system and taste in music thank you in advance.

Regards D S D L

Simon_LDT
24-09-2011, 21:57
I just got one of these Angle Audio phono stages and am quite impressed so far, it is to go into the system in place of a Trichord Dino (with Dino+PSU and High Performance Power Cable) so has a lot to live up to.

So far I have found the mid-range and bass to be comparable to the Dino and certainly lively without doubt. The top end detail is nowhere near as open and somewhat restrained, will be interesting to see with a bit more playing whether that will sort itself out.

One gripe, and it will hopefully not be major, the transformer that came with it buzzes like a hive full of bees. I have informed the seller, will be interesting to see if it can be resolved quickly and easily.

Test records played so far are: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Pink Floyd Dark Side, Martha & the Muffins -Metro Music, Bjork - Vespertine and New Order - Blue Monday 12".
All sounded good apart from the Miles Davis, a bit flat.

Will probably write a more comprehensive review at some point in the future but at the moment I would say the Dino is still well ahead overall.

I noticed mine had a buzz sound as well. I ended up sending mine back in the end. The thing that got to me was the battery. It just wouldn't charge for some reason. It would flash for like 20min but then go into trickle mode, even though I had run it flat and it needed a full charge.

Can't fault the sound though, it easily beat the stock phono on my Marantz PM7001 amp and I really liked the sound for the price. I've nothing else to compare it with though.

I wonder if the seller would consider making a version with potential external PSU upgrade in the future.... I might ask.

DSJR
25-09-2011, 08:06
Clipping when playing singles? Sounds like too high a sensitivity to me, or low overload-margin perhaps? Some 7" singles were cut very "hot" using compression in abundance (easily seen on a wave editor), where many 12" singles on the other hand, had the limiting turned off with sometimes awesome results - if only all records had been made this way, no limiting at 45rpm and say, one track per side.....

The phono stage in the ancient and much maligned old Crown preamp has variable adjustors. The max setting allowing high-output MC types but with a very low 33mV overload. Set fully the other way, it's perfect for those huge output Shure M44-7's etc and the overload is around 300mV. My own feeling is that the overload should be no less than 50 - 75mV and if you're using a Decca, summat around 150 - 175mV would probably be more like it, as it's the ticks and snaps of vinyl reproduction which can cause the trouble a lot of the time.

legalhippy
26-09-2011, 18:41
Clipping when playing singles? Sounds like too high a sensitivity to me, or low overload-margin perhaps? Some 7" singles were cut very "hot" using compression in abundance (easily seen on a wave editor), where many 12" singles on the other hand, had the limiting turned off with sometimes awesome results - if only all records had been made this way, no limiting at 45rpm and say, one track per side.....

The phono stage in the ancient and much maligned old Crown preamp has variable adjustors. The max setting allowing high-output MC types but with a very low 33mV overload. Set fully the other way, it's perfect for those huge output Shure M44-7's etc and the overload is around 300mV. My own feeling is that the overload should be no less than 50 - 75mV and if you're using a Decca, summat around 150 - 175mV would probably be more like it, as it's the ticks and snaps of vinyl reproduction which can cause the trouble a lot of the time.

Quite agree with you regarding the 12" singles, some of those sounded stunning. Two of my favourites of those are New Order's Blue Monday and Propaganda's Dr Mabuse. The cartridge that I am using is the Denon DL304 which at 0.18mV is very low at 47 Ohm. Reading other forums (I know, bad move) there are suggestions that I should use a 1kOhm loading, which sounds a bit nuts to me. I set it to 100 Ohm on the Trichord, or should it be 33 Ohm which is the next one down.

I have tried all sorts of connotations with the unit but when I do find one that cures the clipping on 45's then it just sounds flat and lifeless, if I wanted that sort of sound I would buy some average amp with built in phono stage. (NOT GONNA HAPPEN!)

DSJR
26-09-2011, 19:03
My experience of listening to and reading about the 304 is that it's forte is good tracking, rather than grab-you-by-the-balls musical energy... I know that many people used to and probably still do use a high-output MC into a low output input, preferring the energy and "drive" this gives them.

I'm way out of date on MC pricing these days, as they seem to have shot up - all except the DL103 which is little more than double it's late eighties price. Two low output models I've been impressed with (I used to sell their predecessors) were the Dynavector 17D (neutral to toppy in some systems but good tracking I remember) and the 20 series (high or low output versions - ballsy balance and a good step up for fans of the 10X models I thought). As for high-output MC's, I remain a huge fan of the Sumiko BPS, but dislike the skeletal construction as I'm far too clumsy, and also it's more refined sibling, the Blackbird, which a mate has been using for a few years on his Gyro/Technoarm.

I'm not trying to blindly defend the Angle Audio phono stage, as I don't know it, or the people making it. maybe an email to them with your concerns might come up with a solution. Perhaps a straightforward external power supply might be better, especially if the supply is beefed up a bit?

legalhippy
26-09-2011, 19:03
I noticed mine had a buzz sound as well. I ended up sending mine back in the end. The thing that got to me was the battery. It just wouldn't charge for some reason. It would flash for like 20min but then go into trickle mode, even though I had run it flat and it needed a full charge.

Can't fault the sound though, it easily beat the stock phono on my Marantz PM7001 amp and I really liked the sound for the price. I've nothing else to compare it with though.

I wonder if the seller would consider making a version with potential external PSU upgrade in the future.... I might ask.

I haven't had an issue with the battery on the 'Angle' stage, but that transformer is just a hideous piece of junk. It is unnecessarily noisy and gives a high pitched whine through the speakers when plugged in, which is totally unacceptable.

On the up side for it though, when running on battery without the transformer plugged in, it gives a real nice full sound (at times, see below) if a little reserved.

I didn't get to use it as much as I had hoped over the weekend so am giving a few discs a spin tonight. Starting again with Miles Davis, there was definitely more there than the first time that I played it through this stage. Much more top end and the mid and bass full and rich.

Next up was a dose of The Specials, this I always remembered as being a lively record but not this time. There were moments when some of the tracks sounded okay but I was getting bored after a bit. Stiff Little Fingers' live album Hanx! was on the deck next. This is one of my favourite live albums because it just sounded so raw. UM - ER, what can I say, I've heard poor CD systems play it with more life than this did. Does this phono stage not do punk and ska?

However I carried on trying things, Jeff Buckley's Grace up next. Now this album it likes, alot. This was getting somewhere towards how the Dino Sounds, again still reserved at the top end but having a good go at it. Could be due to being a louder pressing than the Specials and Fingers albums but there was more excitement, detail and overall muicality when playing this.

More tunes tomorrow with differing styles aplenty. Might have to try some classical, see how it handles that.

I don't think I have yet heard the best of this phono stage, or at least I hope I haven't.

keiths
26-09-2011, 19:07
I haven't had an issue with the battery on the 'Angle' stage, but that transformer is just a hideous piece of junk. It is unnecessarily noisy and gives a high pitched whine through the speakers when plugged in, which is totally unacceptable

I imagine that that's a sample fault as mine is silent (both through the speakers and from the transformer itself).

legalhippy
26-09-2011, 19:16
My experience of listening to and reading about the 304 is that it's forte is good tracking, rather than grab-you-by-the-balls musical energy... I know that many people used to and probably still do use a high-output MC into a low output input, preferring the energy and "drive" this gives them.

I'm way out of date on MC pricing these days, as they seem to have shot up - all except the DL103 which is little more than double it's late eighties price. Two low output models I've been impressed with (I used to sell their predecessors) were the Dynavector 17D (neutral to toppy in some systems but good tracking I remember) and the 20 series (high or low output versions - ballsy balance and a good step up for fans of the 10X models I thought). As for high-output MC's, I remain a huge fan of the Sumiko BPS, but dislike the skeletal construction as I'm far too clumsy, and also it's more refined sibling, the Blackbird, which a mate has been using for a few years on his Gyro/Technoarm.

I'm not trying to blindly defend the Angle Audio phono stage, as I don't know it, or the people making it. maybe an email to them with your concerns might come up with a solution. Perhaps a straightforward external power supply might be better, especially if the supply is beefed up a bit?

I don't think I will be getting into replacing the cartridge to match the Angle Audio stage although it may be worth investigating others for the Trichord Dino to have a go with. Something that is a bit more compatible with the loadings.
The DL304 is suited more to subtler music than high energy but is not untalented in that area. It's overall performance takes some beating even in its new price range.

I'm going to persist with the Angle Audio just to see if it does suddenly wake up and get interested in the music.

Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate any help that I can get.

Hmm, what to do. Don't want to keep both phono stages, not worth the aggro

Peter Stockwell
28-09-2011, 18:40
I have one , it replaced a clear audio nano. I use it with an Ortofon 2M blue, I like it.

YNWaN
29-09-2011, 10:03
What does it look like inside?

sq225917
29-09-2011, 12:36
I wonder, who's circuit it uses?

Skraiduolis
14-10-2011, 18:40
What does it look like inside?

This is the non-battery version:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3406/658e504cdscn77741.th.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3406/658e504cdscn77741.jpg) http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1065/05e4f8aedscn77751.th.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1065/05e4f8aedscn77751.jpg)

I'm not happy with it :(

Marco
14-10-2011, 18:53
Hi Eimantas,

Welcome to AoS :)

Did you read your activation email properly, shown below, (note the bits in bold) before posting what you've just done?

Before posting in the main areas of the forum, please pop into the Welcome area and say 'hello', giving your proper first name, basic location, something about your system and something about your favourite music.

You will be assured of a warm welcome, it helps us get to know you, and it's part of what we think makes The Art of Sound a proper community.

Thank you!

If so, perhaps you suffer from selective blindness? ;)

Marco.

jandl100
14-10-2011, 18:54
I'm still using my Audiophile battery powered Angle Audio stage and am very very happy with it.

No issues at all, and imho it sounds great. I'd take it over the Dino (which I confess I don't like anyway!, at least with its standard PSU) any day. Wonderful, clean, detailed, dynamic, lively sound.

I do wonder if Legal Hippy has a duff one.

sq225917
14-10-2011, 23:40
Interesting, single rail power supply using a ring of two ccs, passive riaa with active gain stage. They use their own pcb which is built out for several revisions including a switchable MM/MC variant.

Given that he's not charging the earth that seems quite decent, not many manufacturers stick a choke, however small, on the input of the psu. Doesn't seem unreasonable for the money, I assume its sins are of omission.

Skraiduolis
15-10-2011, 08:25
949Person said if I connect those points (as you can see in the 1st pic above), the stage would switch to MC mode. It's interesting if besides the gain, resistance would change to 470R... I think this manual switching also applies to everyone else's preamps?

legalhippy
16-10-2011, 17:56
I'm still using my Audiophile battery powered Angle Audio stage and am very very happy with it.

No issues at all, and imho it sounds great. I'd take it over the Dino (which I confess I don't like anyway!, at least with its standard PSU) any day. Wonderful, clean, detailed, dynamic, lively sound.

I do wonder if Legal Hippy has a duff one.

I can confirm that the wall wart that was supplied was definitely a piece of junk making a great deal of noise which detracted from its output. This has now been replaced with a linear power supply which has got rid of most of the airborn noise.

I have been listening a bit more over the last few days and have got more used to how its sounding. I have tried several different recordings of varying styles (Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, All About Eve - Same/Touched by Jesus, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Bjork - Medulla, Bat for Lashes - Fur and Gold, Radiohead - OK Computer, Specials - Specials and Stiff Little Fingers - Hanx). I chose this selection as they are some of the records that I am most familiar with and know how I like them to sound.

Most came through very well with the Angle unit, very listenable BUT records like the Specials and Beach Boys lacked something with the vocals sounding 'distant' in places.

What I do think that it does well is bass, possibly better than the Dino. Where I think it lacks is on its top end and openness of sound. With the Dino I get a feeling of 'presence' in the music and a great soundstage with all musicians in their place. With the Angle, it is more of a sound coming from over there somewhere - if you know what I mean.

I will be putting together a full comparison with the Dino (with Dino+ PSU and High-Performance connecting power lead) at some point when I get a few hours to sit and compare directly.

It isn't a bad unit by any stretch of the imagination, kicks the cr*p out of the Cambridge and Project units that I tried. For the comparison that I will be putting together I will use a different selection of records to those above and will probably use a couple of records that I have never heard on vinyl before to see which I prefer

Dingdong
16-10-2011, 19:46
Yes it is the one with the Virtual Battery.

If you got the one with the virtual battery how does changing the transformer improve things? I is confused.

keiths
16-10-2011, 20:15
If you got the one with the virtual battery how does changing the transformer improve things? I is confused.

I think Michael's stock transformer gave high levels of mechanical noise (ie. not through the speakers).

Mine is fine.

Skraiduolis
16-10-2011, 20:53
With the stock PSU I heard noise through my headphones. It was loudest in the left channel. I substituted it with Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III Headphone Amplifier PSU and now it's almost quiet.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/585/ck2psusch.png

Reid Malenfant
16-10-2011, 20:58
7815 & 7915 are not the quietest regulators. You'd be better off modifying the circuit & fitting an LM317 in the positive rail & an LM337 in the negative rail..

Even they can be bettered by a good margin by discrete regulators about these days :)

Dingdong
16-10-2011, 21:10
I think Michael's stock transformer gave high levels of mechanical noise (ie. not through the speakers).

Mine is fine.

If you unplug it from the mains does it continue to work?

Skraiduolis
16-10-2011, 21:26
7815 & 7915 are not the quietest regulators. You'd be better off modifying the circuit & fitting an LM317 in the positive rail & an LM337 in the negative rail..

Even they can be bettered by a good margin by discrete regulators about these days :)

I would consider something more serious, but I'm returning the preamp :(

By the way, I only use gnd and +15 for it...

The CKK3 amp was my first project this big and it didn't work after >24 hours of building it, of course :lolsign: So I just cut the PSU section off and now use it for other applications.

legalhippy
17-10-2011, 18:34
If you unplug it from the mains does it continue to work?

Yes it does, the battery does go in about 3 hours though so not really ideal for elongated listening sessions.

In response to the transformer change, the original one generated mechanical noise and also a great deal of air-born noise that created a 'wailing' sound through the speakers when plugged in. This made listening to quieter records impossible, the noise drove me mad. :steam:

The replacement unit means I can have it plugged in without the detrimental background noise. This will make the battery last up to 6 hours before having to be put back on quick charge.

Dingdong
17-10-2011, 18:47
By replacement do you mean you have another from Angle, or did I miss something?

legalhippy
22-10-2011, 11:41
Comparison on Angle Audio 'Audiophile' Phono Stage and Trichord Dino w/ Dino+ and upgraded power cable.
Equipment used:
Audionote TT1 turntable with Audionote Arm 2 (Modified Rega RB300 with silver litz cabling and Michell engineering weight), Denon DL-304 Cartridge.
Amplifier: Primare A30.1
Speakers: Tannoy 611
Leads:
Interconnects - AG Audio Silver
Speaker Cables: Sinclair Acoustics Silver
Power to Angle Audio unit: Stontronics Linear 15v Transformer

First record up:
Radiohead - OK Computer - Record 1 only
This record was used as there is quite a lot of different instrumentation going on at the same time on some of the tracks and others are stripped down to little instrumentation, so a good mix.
I started off with the Angle Audio unit, only fair that is what was plugged in at the time, in a marked contrast to when I first got the unit the sound was full and lively with a decent amount of top end detail. Mid-range and bass were also looking good if a touch 'ploddy' on the bass. A good start, very listenable with little to gripe about so far

The Trichord was then plugged in, first thing I noted was that the sound was a lot louder so in the interest of fairness I turned down the gain to about the same level as I was listening to the Angle on. The second thing that I noticed that the sound was just that little bit more crisp with the bass keeping up with the rest of the music. There was something else that I thought I noticed, which I will get onto later.

Next up:
James Brown - It's a Mother
I have never heard this album before so I was under no prejudice whatsoever on how I felt it should sound. Funky :-)

Trichord Dino first this time.
Lots of bass guitar and horns used on this record and of course the inimitable sound of James Brown's voice. Great soundstage, all musicians had their own place like listening to a live band. James sounded like he was in the room strutting his stuff, the horns had a natural sound as did the drum section. The whole thing was well balanced throughout. Timing is great and their is an 'airiness' about the recording as though you are in the recording studio with the musicians.

Angle unit.
I will start with teh bass guitar sound first, it has gone from lively and exciting to positively dull and has faded into the background. Horns still sound good but seem to be trying to take up the same space as the bass on the soundstage. James no longer sounds like he is in the room. I am probably making it appear bad here, it isn't bad at all with a fairly natural sound it just doesn't have the airiness of the Dino, on this record at least.

Next on the deck:
Black Earth - Black Earth ( a local band to me and one of my favourite ever records) A bit like All About Eve but with more edge.

Angle Audio First
The first track has a very distinctive guitar line that is very up front, and there it was right up where it should be and then comes the drums, I thnk I am going to enjoy listening to this again but then lead guitar sounded like it was being played in another room, don't remember that. Vocals are edgy on the first track and quite breathy in others, all good on that front too.

Dino time:
There's that guitar line again, slightly lower in the mix than it was with the Angle Audio, but lo what is that I hear in teh back of the mix could it be a bass guitar? Yup it certainly was and there's some keyboards as well All this seemed to be missing or so low in the mix with the Angle that it was nigh on inaudible. There is more depth to the sound overall as well

For the next record I have chosen a bit of classical. This is not a piece of music that I know very well, it is Schubert's Great C Major Symphony Conducted by Sir John Barbirolli and played by the Halle Orchestra - HMV pressing 1966

Dino First this time:
I cranked the volume up on this one to get the full power of the orchestra (as much as you can get from a record anyway)
This piece starts off quite quietly with just a few woodwind instruments and the odd violin but ten crescends into a full orchestral piece with all parts or the orchestra playing. The Dino handles this extremely well with all the instruments in their correct places with an almost 3d effect of sound, very neutral. I have heard better with other systems way out of my price range but I am certainly not disappointed in any way of how this sounds, probably could do with a bit more depth of sound - not as weighty as an orchestra is live.

Let's see how the Angle Audio deals with it:
A bit muted to start off with and so it goes on all through the record, that 3d quality is not there and the soudnstage is GREATLY reduced. It has gone from filling the room to filling the space between the two speakers. It has somehow managed to make this record sound like a lower quality digital recording, a 320KBPS MP3 maybe. some of the instruments sounded almost electronically produced.

I am going to come back to something I had noticed from the Radiohead album, there is little 'decay' in the sound of the notes. When you hear a drum hit that is all you get, the initial hit but not the after sound. It just makes some things sound a bit flat and that is especially noticeable on this classical record.

The next up will be the last one for now, it is Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Original UK press Stereo (has more depth of sound than the mono IMHO)

Angle unit:
I haven't played this record for some years, always going for the Nice Pair version normally, and starting off with the Angle Audio this time am impressed with how it is handling it. There is lots of detail, decent separation of left and right channels. Beats the living daylights out of any CD I have heard of this album (even the new remaster). Pow R Toc H sounded a little flat at the start tho'.
It is giving a good testament to how well this album was recorded

BUT

I then plugged in the Dino and what a colossal difference it has gone from sounding really quite good to absolutely stunning. This album could have been being recorded in front of me it sounded so fresh (if only). For an album that was mixed in an afternoon (stereo version anyway) they really did one hell of a job and the Dino highlights that superbly.

Conclusion:
The Angle Audio unit is a good little phono stage that is well worth its price tag generally , I would have been perfectly happy with it and does beat others in its price range by a margin (others that I have previously tested are: Cambridge Audio Azur 640p (lifeless and boring) and the Project Phono Box - lacks clarity . I would probably compare it to the Graham Slee Era Gold V that is good but not great. If I had never heard the Dino I would have happily kept it but overall it is well ahead of the Angle unit and if you have the spare cash it is the one that I would get (you do need the DINO+ and Power Cable upgrade for the Dino to get the performance I got, the standard unit by itself with the wall wart is not that great).

This is all just a personal opinion and I am sure that others will have a different view on things and will no doubt voice their opinions like I did. It is not a technical review in any way and please don't ask technical questions as I am unlikely to know the answer.

It is also not particularly well written and could be more informative of overall sound, ask questions on that if you want to.

I need one of these now :cool: drink that is

jandl100
22-10-2011, 12:37
Wow - an extensive review! :thumbsup:

I should be getting a Trichord Dino mk2 with a very souped-up Avondale PSU delivered Monday. Said to be as good or better than the Trichord NCPSU, which I know sounds fabulous. I can hardly wait! :carrot:
It also comes with the standard Dino PSU.

... I'll report back, of course. ;)

Dingdong
22-10-2011, 15:27
So there might be a phono stage for sale soon?
Interesting. Might be looking for a phono stage ;)

jandl100
22-10-2011, 15:29
Could be ... could be ... :whistle:

I also have the basic Angle Audio MC 'stage. That was what got me to try the top o' the range one - both excellent vfm imho. :)

Dingdong
22-10-2011, 15:55
I always thought the phono section on my old LK1 pre was half decent. So I had a bit of a play with an old, slightly scruffy one. Pulled out most of the line section and the volume control and added a decent power supply. Sounds way better than the built in one on the MF pre. Would be nice to try an Angle or a Dino, though.

legalhippy
22-10-2011, 16:10

Yep, could well be. Won't be the Dino though.

legalhippy
22-10-2011, 16:19
Wow - an extensive review! :thumbsup:

I should be getting a Trichord Dino mk2 with a very souped-up Avondale PSU delivered Monday. Said to be as good or better than the Trichord NCPSU, which I know sounds fabulous. I can hardly wait! :carrot:

Would definitely be interested in seeing what you have to say about that. I have heard a MKII and it was better than the MKI but not much in it. Haven't had the luck to trial an NCPSU. Next step once I have some spare cash again.

DSJR
22-10-2011, 16:29
What exactly does a phono stage have to do? The signals from even a low output mc cartridge are hardly low (not when compared to FM radio for instance), so it must be possible to magnify that signal without adding significant noise and distortion these days, while maintaining high overload margins - using FET's in the front end? It's relatively standard to do the RIAA eq passively and simply to very high accuracy too I understand and a line output buffer can be done either with a simple discrete circuit, or using modern low noise/distortion op-amps..

If the above is true (I believe at present it is), then WHY do some phono stages have to cost many, many hundreds of pounds, let alone thousands - the top-models Rega phono stages are simply frightening in the circuitry inside and STILL use Sowter transformers at £125 each for the MC step-up (I think)..... I must admit to blanch slightly at Glenn's stand-alone phono stage at £500, which is £100 more than the Micro basic preamp...

YNWaN
22-10-2011, 16:42
Have you listened to many phono-stages recently Dave?

Personally, I've yet to hear an op-amp based phonostage that sounds anything special.

DSJR
22-10-2011, 18:12
Yeah, but I know the reference circuit yours has :lolsign:

Once again, it's not what's used but how it's used IMO. If I must colour the phono signal a tad, I'd rather do it with valves :lol:

Reid Malenfant
22-10-2011, 18:41
<snip> The signals from even a low output mc cartridge are hardly low (not when compared to FM radio for instance)
They are pretty similar yes, though i think you are missing something pretty vital here ;)

While the FM aerial input to the tuner may well be at a similar level of less than a microvolt, it's not really able to be interfered with as it's on a modulated say 100MHz signal. Before it gets demodulated it'll be amplified quite a bit. Now i'm not sure how much you know about radios but FM is significantly quieter than AM. It's in no way unusual to find interference that is caused by things altering in level (amplitude) but it's not common by frequency.

Now look at a phono stage, you remember that 100MHz FM signal, well it can certainly interfere with the phono signal if it's powerful enough. Remember the frequency modulation, well the phono stage is effectively an amplitude modulation device but over a wide bandwidth - so it's noisy ;)

There isn't really any way of comparing them Dave :)

jandl100
22-10-2011, 20:59
I always thought the phono section on my old LK1 pre was half decent. So I had a bit of a play with an old, slightly scruffy one. Pulled out most of the line section and the volume control and added a decent power supply. Sounds way better than the built in one on the MF pre. Would be nice to try an Angle or a Dino, though.

Yup - the phonostage in the mf a1 fbp pre-amp really is a crock of shite - I tried it again a couple of days ago and the Angle Audio wee-ed all over it.

jandl100
22-10-2011, 21:03
Would definitely be interested in seeing what you have to say about that. I have heard a MKII and it was better than the MKI but not much in it. Haven't had the luck to trial an NCPSU. Next step once I have some spare cash again.

The Dino with its standard PSU on its own is pretty poor, imho. But the upgrade when using a NCPSU is nothing short of astonishing. It's amazing what PSUs can do!

DSJR
22-10-2011, 21:21
:(
They are pretty similar yes, though i think you are missing something pretty vital here ;)

There isn't really any way of comparing them Dave :)

Ah, ok Mark :)

lurcher
23-10-2011, 10:06
What exactly does a phono stage have to do? The signals from even a low output mc cartridge are hardly low (not when compared to FM radio for instance)

Just found a tuner at random, has a sensitivity of -20dBm, into 600ohm thats 77mv, typical MC cartridge 0.3mv, factor of 250 more.

DSJR
23-10-2011, 10:27
I thought the better FM tuners had sensitivity of 1 or two microvolts for minimum 30db s/n since the mid 70's? MC cartridges give MILLI-volts, which is an order of magnitude higher?????

lurcher
23-10-2011, 11:49
Well, I just went by the spec I found, MC cartridges are normally in the 300uv and lower range, but its comparing two entirely different things. FM modulation is inherently immune to front end noise anyhow.

legalhippy
25-10-2011, 17:59

There is now :trust:

jandl100
25-10-2011, 18:14
OK ... my new Trichord Dino with a nicely massive Avondale PSU has arrived. :)
Yup, it's better than the Angle Audio jobbie in all ways, pretty much. But so it should be as it cost me over twice as much used as a new AA! Spend more - and if you do it right ;) - you get more.
Better rez, better focus, better transparency.

Brand new at £150 or so for the full-up Angle Audio still seems great vfm to me. :thumbsup:
And the "lesser" ones are equally good vfm at £55 and upwards.
I still recommend them strongly even though I've moved on myself.

Dingdong
25-10-2011, 18:19
Could you put me on the waiting list for the Dino? In no rush. Whenever you are ready.

DSJR
25-10-2011, 18:25
Well, I just went by the spec I found, MC cartridges are normally in the 300uv and lower range, but its comparing two entirely different things. FM modulation is inherently immune to front end noise anyhow.

Thanks. I stand corrected :) :cool:

jandl100
25-10-2011, 18:38
Could you put me on the waiting list for the Dino? In no rush. Whenever you are ready.

Tee hee ... that was quick! :) OK.

Could be a week, could be a month, could be a year.
All depends what comes along and takes my fancy!

Dingdong
25-10-2011, 18:43
And if you could keep the Parasound until I've saved up a lot of pennies that would be cool;)
At the moment I've had a bit of a mod of an old Linn pre-amp and just use the mm stage. Hooked up to an outboard psu it sounds a bit better than the MF phono stage.

jandl100
26-10-2011, 06:14
And if you could keep the Parasound until I've saved up a lot of pennies that would be cool;)
At the moment I've had a bit of a mod of an old Linn pre-amp and just use the mm stage. Hooked up to an outboard psu it sounds a bit better than the MF phono stage.

Well, you'll have to hold your breath a l-o-o-o-ng time for the Parasound amp, I reckon! :eyebrows:

My Angle Audio 'audiophile' phonostage is way better than the one onboard the MF pre to my ears. It's set up for moving magnet (or high output mc which is how I used it) - if that's of use I'll be happy to loan it to you to see what you think. :) Just PM me your address if you're interested.

Dingdong
26-10-2011, 14:53
Well, you'll have to hold your breath a l-o-o-o-ng time for the Parasound amp, I reckon! :eyebrows:

My Angle Audio 'audiophile' phonostage is way better than the one onboard the MF pre to my ears. It's set up for moving magnet (or high output mc which is how I used it) - if that's of use I'll be happy to loan it to you to see what you think. :) Just PM me your address if you're interested.

Cheers Jerry. I think I'll take you up on that. Pm sent.

jandl100
01-11-2011, 11:08
Cheers Jerry. I think I'll take you up on that. Pm sent.

So - how's it goin' ? ;)

sergiox
19-11-2011, 15:57
yes...good question...Jerry, how is going the preamp you have borrowed to dingdong? :)

jandl100
19-11-2011, 16:33
Well, Mark is sure to comment sometime ...

But as I understand it -
1) Mark agrees with me that the Angle stage is significantly better than the one in the MF A1 FBP pre
2) He nonetheless prefers the stage in his Linn LK1 pre in which he has bypassed the rest of the Linn's circuitry
3) the Angle stage is heading back to me sometime soon. I must admit I'm looking forward to giving it another go! :)

Or something like that!

Dingdong
19-11-2011, 16:39
Sorry, forgot about this bit. The answer is that it is going back to Jerry.

It is very good. Certainly better than the inbuilt one on my Musical Fidelity pre. The only negative I could possibly mention is that it only lasts a certain time before needing recharging. I tend to leave my system on for most of the day at weekends and listen now and then. More now than again with my new tt. It can be a bit of a bugger if it's recharging just when you want to listen.
For the money I'd highly recommend it, especially if you can order it to match your cartridge.
Why am I sending it back and not wanting to send Jerry a bunch of money for it?
I have an old Linn LK1 spare and I did a few modifications to it. I always though the phono stage was good. The line stage lets it down a bit. So I got the soldering iron out and bypassed all the bad bits and wired the phono bit to the output bit. Then wired up a Dirak power supply. Result is pretty impressive. Had to do a bit of buggering about with the earthing as the Hadcock I use has some strange earth arrangement.
Back to the Angle phono stage. I don't think anyone would be unhappy after spending a hundred and odd quid (depending on option) for it. Apparently Hifi World thought the phono stage in the MF A1 FBP was quite good. It is easily beaten by the Angle Audio. Sort of like taking a thin pillow away from the speakers.

jandl100
19-11-2011, 16:45
Aha! - Mark re-appears - and it looks like I got his views about it right! :)

zappa100
05-12-2011, 21:39
A bit late to the party but has anyone any experience of the Artisan Silver battery powered MC phono stage that was well received in July's Hifi World?

The reviewer concluded "it was smooth and clean but lacked bass weight"(something he had noticed in a lot of battery powered stages)

Do battery powered stages lack oomph compared to their mains powered
bretheren?

I currently use a standard Dino mk 2.Maybe i would be better looking into a better psu ?

Reid Malenfant
05-12-2011, 21:44
I have seen a car jump started with a Yuasa 12V 6amp hour battery when it failed to start on it's own battery :eyebrows:

Batteries can certainly supply some oomph, they do have higher internal resistance than a good regulator though ;)

Just don't ask a regulator to supply 300Amps or more even for an instant :D

jandl100
05-12-2011, 22:03
I currently use a standard Dino mk 2.Maybe i would be better looking into a better psu ?

The standard Dino PSU does it no favours whatsoever! You are getting about 20% of the performance that the Dino is capable of - I kid you not. :)

A Trichord NCPSU is fab, as is the Avondale PSU that I have with my Mk2 Dino. :thumbsup:

zappa100
08-12-2011, 13:00
Thanks.
Will see if i can find a nice dealer to borrow one from...

Skraiduolis
11-12-2011, 12:19
I modded the stock PSU with LM317T and the preamp is DEAD silent as never before! :eyebrows:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9829/dscn7855.th.jpg (http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9829/dscn7855.jpg) http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6038/dscn7856.th.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6038/dscn7856.jpg)

7815 is truly noisy...

shire
20-02-2016, 10:51
Hi, just installed ANGLE AUDIO REF 2 MC/MM phono stage.
Initial impressions impressive, betters the built in Quad 99 pre phono, both MM/MC.
Perhaps not as involving as the EAR834P but only first listen, will need time to settle.
One noticeable thing, very very quiet, even with the Denon 103r ,

Simon_Nottingham
22-03-2016, 03:53
So in conclusion, I find this phono stage to be a vast improvement on the Cambridge Audio one with an excellent, well-balanced sound throughout and is great value for £145.

Hi,

I appreciate that this review is a few years old, but I've just been looking at phono stages and this piqued my interest. However, rather than £145 the current price on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Angle-Audio-Reference-2-phonostage-amp-preamp-phono-stage-MM-or-MC-New-/131754849999?hash=item1ead3376cf:g:eToAAOSwLVZVvNG W) appears to be £329 - a bit of a jump!

My other option is a Pro-ject Tube Box DS - how do the two compare?

Simon_Nottingham
22-03-2016, 09:05
OK, I've done a bit of research and the £329 one has upgraded components. It looks like this one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131754849623?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) at £199 is the equivalent of the one reviewed.