PDA

View Full Version : New or refurbished SME?

sprint
16-09-2011, 07:44
I am looking to buy a SME V arm.

I can buy new with a good discount or for around £500 less I can buy an arm that has been refurbished/serviced by SME. New tonearm, bearings etc and according to SME will perform as a new one. Packing (polystyrene inner box) and tools also available together with a new audio cable.

The only issue is it was originally made over 20 yrs ago. Times are hard and I don't want to spend more that I need to so would it make sense (be safe) to go for the refurbished one?

DSJR
16-09-2011, 07:57
SME are legendary in their after care and service. Expensive for penny-pinchers like me, but they CARE, and if the arm is a factory refurbished one, I can honestly speculate it'll be as good as new as they can get it. Things like bearings don't age and were way over-specified to start with, headshell screw-holes may show tiny signs of cartridges being fitted, but won't be knurdled as Linn ones often are by now. There may be a tiny mark around the arm-rest, as the very first arms didn't have the "roller" in the bracket to ease the pipe sliding into the rest. the signal leads will obviously be older, but the basically fine quality of what was fitted should still be there.

I disagree about the costs of SME parts and new product, but I cannot deny the wonderful and LASTING quality of their products.. Buy a used V in total confidence and take huge pride in owning a product that's been at the very top of the tree for nigh on thirty years now.....

sprint
16-09-2011, 11:47
SME are legendary in their after care and service. Expensive for penny-pinchers like me, but they CARE, and if the arm is a factory refurbished one, I can honestly speculate it'll be as good as new as they can get it. Things like bearings don't age and were way over-specified to start with, headshell screw-holes may show tiny signs of cartridges being fitted, but won't be knurdled as Linn ones often are by now. There may be a tiny mark around the arm-rest, as the very first arms didn't have the "roller" in the bracket to ease the pipe sliding into the rest. the signal leads will obviously be older, but the basically fine quality of what was fitted should still be there.

I disagree about the costs of SME parts and new product, but I cannot deny the wonderful and LASTING quality of their products.. Buy a used V in total confidence and take huge pride in owning a product that's been at the very top of the tree for nigh on thirty years now.....

Thanks for you reply and comments, which does inspire a great deal of confidence.

As indicated, it is my understanding that the tonearm has been replaced, done as a matter of course with the full service, so the internal wiring will also be new as is the audio cable to the amp.

Beobloke
16-09-2011, 11:56
As my fellow HFW scribbler, Rafael Todes, pointed out recently, the only things that will survive nuclear war are cockroaches and SME Vs.

Consequently, an old V is a far less risky purchase than most other arms, and if it's been back to SME for a service then I would say that the only possible worry you have left is how quickly a courier can deliver it!

Wakefield Turntables
16-09-2011, 12:03
The V is superb. I got mine 2nd hand, had audio-origami check it out and fettle the thing, never looked back since. If you can get one refurbed by SME then I would say get your credit card ready for a brusing:lol:

prestonchipfryer
16-09-2011, 12:41
If it's been back to SME then it will be in A1 order. SME's servicing/customer service is beyond reproach.

:)

sprint
16-09-2011, 13:03
Thanks for all the replies.

With all of you giving the thumbs up for a recently serviced SME arm it looks the way to go.

Mighty Ant
16-09-2011, 14:15
Have no hesitation in buying an SME serviced tonearm. The only added extra, when & if funds allow, would be to have it sent to Audio Origami for a rewire. He does a fine job at sensible prices.

Anthony.

Wakefield Turntables
16-09-2011, 14:17
Have no hesitation in buying an SME serviced tonearm. The only added extra, when & if funds allow, would be to have it sent to Audio Origami for a rewire. He does a fine job at sensible prices.

Anthony.

Yep +1 with this suggestion, mine came back a different beast.

CableMaker1
16-09-2011, 16:31
SME V is a top stellar performer. The 309 is also a pretty awesome arm (which I also have)!!! They sound even better coupled with my tonearm cables.

Too bad I did not know that SME offers to purchase refurbs when I purchased my arm. I did save money though by having the option of not to include their audio cable at the time of purchase, since I knew I would be making my own cable for this arm.

Prior to purchasing the V, I was debating whether to go for a IV or V. The dealbreaker for me was that I had to have VTA on my SME.