PDA

View Full Version : clearing customs -

muffinman
03-11-2008, 18:40
Does anybody have any idea just how long it takes for an item to arrive at my door from the states. specifically from the new jersey area. i'm guessing that the items were sent on 20oct as that is when payment went out. do customs tend to hold onto them for a while or will they contact you readily.
any soothing words would be great as currently i think my parcel is coming via continental drift:(

aquapiranha
03-11-2008, 20:02
I ordered an amp from the states. It took three weeks to arrive, but when I checked most of that time was spent in the UK, so I am guessing a lot of it was in customs. Can you not trace it? I remember I could via USPS but that was only until it had left the states, then it was a waiting game.

Filterlab
03-11-2008, 20:27
It depends on the service. I normally get stuff sent from the states by USPS Priority Mail within 10 working days, a bit longer for the standard international service. I've not known of Customs hanging on to anything unless it's suspicious, but electronics are normally a straight through job. Whatever, you have to subtract weekend days from any estimate given to you by the supplier/shipper.

Beechwoods
04-11-2008, 06:52
10 - 15 days. My Elcaset player got caught in customs and at around 12 days I got a letter from the PO outlining the VAT and excise duty they were planning to charge :) just as I was really starting to worry! You might want to dust off your wallet.

Togil
04-11-2008, 07:34
Can you still get blank tapes for Elcaset ?

muffinman
04-11-2008, 10:08
parcelforce have informed me that my package has arrived. i've now got to pay them £60 for looking after it :doh:

Beechwoods
04-11-2008, 10:46
Can you still get blank tapes for Elcaset ?
I picked up 12 sealed and boxed NOS FeCr tapes on eBay recently so am sorted. They do still turn up occasionally. I also picked up a nice Demonstration Only tape with some funky tracks on it... the only pre-rec Elcaset tape made as far as I'm aware. Great version of Also Sprach Zarathustra, with disco arrangement :)