PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton - The Lost Boy. Channa Vithana

Neil McCauley
15-09-2011, 09:55
Guest writer Channa Vithana (ex Hi-Fi World) writes as follows:

I’m not a great fan of Eric Clapton’s music anymore. When I was younger, in my early teens, I thought some of his stuff was pretty cool, especially the experimental Cream, with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, and the Derek & The Dominoes Sessions box set, with Duane Allman on guitar. Clapton’s other solo works, such as 1977’s ‘Slowhand’ and later works like ‘August’ (1986) and the slightly superior ‘Journeyman’ (1989) were enjoyable in a good-but-not-amazing, yet-still-listenable manner where I tended to like certain songs like ‘Cocaine,’ ‘Behind The Mask,’ and ‘Old Love,’ but not the whole album.

Boring

I don’t precisely know what triggered my estrangement from Clapton’s music but my appreciation gradually declined as my twenties faded. The main reasons were that I found his guitar playing to be really boring and just not engaging enough. The music was also beginning to sound repetitive and formulaic while the song choices were mostly covers, which would still be bettered by the shining blues-based originals.

http://bit.ly/nlp7j9

Marco
15-09-2011, 10:39
Indeed; I concur completely, which is why he is referred to in some circles as 'Eric Clapped-Out'! ;)

He's a decent, but grossly over-rated musician, IMO. A so-called 'blues man' who totally lacks soul compared with the true greats of the genre. Well, how can you truly 'feel' the blues, if you come from Surrey?!!

Ask John Lee Hooker or Muddy Waters about the blues! Clapton's a posh southern softie who had a few lucky breaks - no more.

Marco.

Audioman
15-09-2011, 12:01
Clapton got lazy. He is in fact one of the worlds top guitarists still but needs a push as with his collaboration with Stevie Winwood. Slowhand is a top notch album though produced by the great Glyn Johns. The last realy good one was 'Money and Cigarettes' before he went down the corporate rock with star guests route. August and Journeyman are the main offenders from this period though they have a few good tracks. The 'Unplugged' is a later day highlight and 'From The Cradle' a pretty good blues cover album. I also like the JJ Cale collaboration from a few years ago. The pricing of his most recent vinyl releases has put me off taking a risk on any new material frankly.

Werner Berghofer
15-09-2011, 12:17
Paul,

'From The Cradle' a pretty good blues cover album

I can’t stand Clapton’s style of singing on this album. Gives me the impression of a Surrey country nobleman trying to sound like a black, 70 years old French cigarettes chain smoker from New Orleans – very artificial and affected.

Werner.

Concerto Audio
15-09-2011, 13:10
I am a big fan of EC and i respect others opinion.
I agree that his recent albums are not up to the standard one would expect.
But I have seen him live many times and IMO no one can play guitar like EC and what i enjoy more is the relaxed nature/way he plays the guitar.
anyone watched recent Cream concert at Royal Albert Hall...if you have not i would recommend it.:doh:...you can watch the DVD.
Today Amazon deliverd his recent CD "Wynton Marsalis and EC" Play the Blues...I am listening to it now.:ner:

Neil McCauley
15-09-2011, 13:49
............. But I have seen him live many times and IMO no one can play guitar like EC ......

Possibly. However last night I was at a gig featuring the magnificent Steve Cropper. And unlike a Clapton gig, I didn't feel inclined to fall asleep!

Howard

Concerto Audio
15-09-2011, 15:25
Possibly. However last night I was at a gig featuring the magnificent Steve Cropper. And unlike a Clapton gig, I didn't feel inclined to fall asleep!

Howard

If you have paid for the ticket it is a very expensive way to go to sleep:scratch:

Vinyleyes
19-09-2011, 03:52
Whilst he is not my favourite player ,, there is no doubt in my mind that Clapton is one of the true greats ... I do agree that in later years his playing began to lose inspiration .. his collaboration with that Genesis guy on drums being a particular lowlight ... But my feeling is that he just needs rousing and when he is roused he can still turn it on. Anyone who doubts this should take a look at the Crossroads music festivals he has organised to benefit his addiction centre in 2004, 2007 and 2010 ... he is the match and more for all the old time blues greats that played there .. as well as the younger guys.

His playing for me always had a touch more melody in his blues .. and I totally disagree with anyone who says he cannot play the blues because he is white and comes from a posh part of England ... jeez .. people used to say that 40 years ago about every white boy that picked up a guitar ..

He has suffered more than his fair share of tragedy in life .. and since recovering from his addictions has given all awful lot back .. not least with his almost entirely self supported addiction centre in Antigua.

http://crossroadsguitarfestival.com/

The guy almost singlehandedly brought a lot of the old blues greats back into the public eye .. and I have not heard any of them ever slag off his playing .. or his commitment to his music .....

Granted the energy of his playing has declined .. very very few musicians escape this ... but I do not understand where this slagfest of a thread on Clapton has suddenly came from ... Go and listen to Clapton unplugged again if you don't think this guy plays from his heart ..

Here is a pretty good and honest critique of his catalogue ...

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/clapton.htm

And now I will go and listen to some Clapton ...... :cool:

Themis
19-09-2011, 03:58
The only album of Clapton I listen to regularly is 461 Ocean Boulevard (1974), that I consider as its best (and only).

Neil McCauley
19-09-2011, 15:27
Frankly I have not the slightest interest in who did or didn't shoot the bloody sheriff.

Themis
19-09-2011, 16:40
Frankly I have not the slightest interest in who did or didn't shoot the bloody sheriff.
:lol: :cool:

Me neither, but there are some very sexy love songs on this record. A very slow record, the slowest Clapton has ever made. ;)

Thing Fish
19-09-2011, 18:00
To be honest nothing he has ever done has inspired me to think he is one of the best guitarists around?

For ages I thought I was missing the point. I even bought 'Slowhand' when it came out. Oh dear...!

Welder
19-09-2011, 19:42
Eric who?
Wasn't he the lead guitarist with a band called Cream? :lolsign: