PDA

View Full Version : My first SET amp

electric beach
13-09-2011, 23:53
I've recently acquired this cheeky monkey to drive my Sachiko horns - and what a totally enthralling musical experience it is!

Talk about Little and Large!! The builder (another Steve) has refined the component choices while he's lived with the amp over a few years, to the point that he considers the sound optimised regardless of parts cost. As you can see from the pictures, Steve's build quality is immaculate and that he wears the badge of perfectionist with pride.
He's now built a more powerful design from the same company and I can see why you'd only want more of the same. It's a very balanced and complete experience that just delivers the performance to enjoy. No, make that it throws it at you.

The Lilliput power amplifier is a 2.5 watts per channel SET amp. http://www.megahertzaudio.it/lilliput.htm

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=554

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=553

The 6080/6AS7G seems to be most commonly found in otl headphone amps such as Bottlehead and perhaps most famously atma-sphere.
This tube is quite similar in sound to the 300B apparently, but has much lower power and costs nothing in comparison. I've just bought two matched section Russian 6n13s Svetlanas for £14.00 a pair!
The photos and Steve's choice are a Philips Miniwatt SQ E88CC and a CV2984, which is the UK military version of the 6080.
Inside the amp, resistors are Takman metal film, Takman carbon and the cathode has the big green non-inductive 30w resistors from DIYhifisupply. For capacitors we have Philips in the power supply, Nichicon Muse KZ on the 6080 cathode, Nichicon Muse ES on the E88CC, and Mundorf ZN coupling caps. Rectifier diodes are ultrafast MUR880EG. Switching on is two stage – top switch for filament power and bottom switch for HT. Earth arrangement is earth follows signal with both channels split until the last power supply cap.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=622

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=619

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=621

There’s not a lot written about Megahertzaudio products, but the Italians are fond of their horns in more ways than one and of course low powered tube amps make them sing. Below are some comments taken from a forum contribution by F Grove. He really likes the Lilliput and the comments he makes about the sound of the amp (also driving large horns), and the Megahertzaudio iron are correct in mine and the builders opinion.
His comment “It doesn't sound like an overly romantic tube amp at all but rather crystal clear and precise” sums up the amp really. It has tube warmth but it isn’t rosy warmth. Very clear, musical, and even across the frequency range.

Here are mr Grove’s comments;
“The Lilliput amp is a very good sounding little amp. In fact, I think I must have mentioned this before, I heard it perform on horn loaded Lowthers a few times and was impressed: it was one of the few times I actually heard the music and not the Lowthers' notorious nasality for a change. Actually it sounded very similar to the AN Baransu 300B amp another friend uses on his Lowthers which is very high praise in anyone's book, I reckon.”
“I heard the kit in its standard form and was already blown away by the sound. It doesn't sound like an overly romantic tubeamp at all but rather crystal clear and precise.This is how I like an amp to be regardless of topology or genetic persuasion but it may not be to everyone's liking.”
“Why waste time and money on something mediocre when you can have some world class quality amp for such a small outlay? If I had some 96db/m speakers this would be the amp I'd use to go with it. No doubt in my mind about that, it's THAT good, it uses readily available tubes and the one that's going to burn up the fastest (6AS7G, 6080) is sooo cheap it's hard to believe...
“To answer your question once and for all, the Megahertz iron is extraordinary both in measurement and sonics: it's about the only OPT I ever heard that sounds like no OPT at all. Coming from someone who's been religiously devoted to OTL amps for well over two decades that's very high praise indeed.”

Photos, tech spec, (most) description and the reference comment are lifted from Steve's ad with his permission.

Valerie's impression: "Awesome!". If someone enquires what the new toy is like I just tell them to ask her. And that it reminds me of a Star Wars Stormtrooper. And my mum all but cried to Nerina Pallot.

:champagne: Cheers Steve

Ali Tait
14-09-2011, 05:00
Looks a nice little amp Steve. I've heard Sachikos driven with flea-power SET amps, and a very nice combination it is. One of WAD's early amps was a 4w SE jobbie using the 6080, and a nice sounding amp it is too.

BTW, Langrex sell Mullard 6080's for a tenner each.

John
14-09-2011, 07:01
A lovelly looking amp and a ideal partner to your speakers

Jonboy
14-09-2011, 07:38
That a really nice looking amp

Rare Bird
14-09-2011, 13:13
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=622

Thats quite novel how he's used a valve base to mount the Bridge Rectifier diodes! I'm asuming thats what he's done?

HighFidelityGuy
14-09-2011, 13:19
That's a lovely looking amp. I love the clean, simple aesthetics. Very nice!

Do you mind me asking how much these cost? It wouldn't be suitable for my speakers but one of their 845 amps might. I have a feeling they'll be a bit out of my price range though. :doh:

Cheers. :cool:

Ali Tait
14-09-2011, 15:22
Dave, you can still get a Mr Liang 845 with 300b drivers imported for about £750 all in, which is a bloody bargain for an amp as good as it is. I wouldn't hesitate if I was looking for one. I heard the one I used to have walk all over a 4k Unison research 845 at one of our do's. The mains trannies are proper spec for the UK.

HighFidelityGuy
14-09-2011, 15:28
Dave, you can still get a Mr Liang 845 with 300b drivers imported for about £750 all in, which is a bloody bargain for an amp as good as it is. I wouldn't hesitate if I was looking for one. I heard the one I used to have walk all over a 4k Unison research 845 at one of our do's. The mains trannies are proper spec for the UK.

Thanks Ali. Where do you get Mr Liang gear from?

Ali Tait
14-09-2011, 15:39
Dave,

Site is here, just contact them directly-

http://www.lsyx.com/cn/index.asp

Looks very nice in black!

Review here-

http://www.affordableaudio.org/Issue_Archives.html

Open the September 2010 issue.

Dave, don't be put off by the cheap price. This amp sounds superb, and is built like a battleship (50kg+!)

HighFidelityGuy
14-09-2011, 15:46
Cheers, I'll have a look. :cool:

electric beach
14-09-2011, 15:50
Dave,

All pricing is on the link to Megahertzaudio.

Standard completed Lilliput - €900
Upgraded completed Lilliput - €1,120
Lilliput kit - €500

Musical connection - Priceless

HighFidelityGuy
14-09-2011, 19:01
Dave,

All pricing is on the link to Megahertzaudio.

Standard completed Lilliput - €900
Upgraded completed Lilliput - €1,120
Lilliput kit - €500

Musical connection - Priceless

:doh: You're quite right, I've found the price list now. Cheers. :cool:

John
14-09-2011, 19:30
The Mr Laing amps are really nice

Ali Tait
14-09-2011, 19:44
Aye, I think so. Fantastic VFM too.

electric beach
14-09-2011, 22:03
As I said, my first SET experience and it looks like I've fallen on quite a special example - a chance find on ebay. I'd love to say I did meticulous research but at least I'd learnt enough to understand the importance of the transformers in these simple designs. I haven't noticed any other SET users here but there must be some? I've heard one or two 300b amps at shows or gatherings but the sound was so poor that I concluded they were a misrepresentation given the tube's reputation.

Ali, I thought you'd be taken by the OTL references :eyebrows:
Mullards at £10 EACH - that's a bit steep!
That's another plus with a flea-watt, only two tubes so I'm into rolling already :doh:

My first conversion to valves was to import a Yaqin MC100B. I chose this for the 30w power as I knew my nOhr speakers need a kick from behind to wake them up (picture top right on the banner). I actually found this site while looking for someone to check the amp out for UK suitability after seeing the warning posts scattered around the weird world web. Enter Anthony TD, who pronounced the amp to be the only example he had seen which actually checked out OK in this respect. I discussed possible upgrades with him and it was a no-brainer really - he had already done what I wanted for Marco!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=477

Interestingly my valve amp comparison is really at both ends of the scale. The Yaqin is big, bold and brassy. A dynamic and authorative push/pull, velvety dark and weighty in stock form. With Anthony's modification it became a great all-rounder, retaining all the positives while gaining impressive rhythmic pace, sparkling treble and the stage lights came on; basically more balanced in all respects. It's also capable with all types of music. This amp is quite something to follow, though to be fair, when I mated it with the Sachikos it didn't feel the same; maybe too powerful for the 96db drivers, it lost it's apparent speed and light.

I do firmly believe that equipment synergy is more influencial than outright individual component performance. A great system is just that because it's greater than the sum of the parts. Playing with the Mini-T amp showed me what low powered speed and transparency could do for these speakers and gives an amazing sound, but pairing this amp with them has released their potential. Now this is synergy that makes sounds sound - well, real.

I hear this as due to:

1. The level of detail, including tonal detail.
2. The amp is completely silent and the noisefloor so low.
3. The speed is lightening fast, bringing your attention to a musician's technique; a piano pedal mute, a finger lifting from a guitar fret, the timing of a hesitant note start.
4. The frequency range appears balanced from top to bottom.
5. The dynamics are so great that you hear the variation in a musician's playing that exposes their emotion.

I was expecting to find this limited to acoustic and small scale music, maybe psychological due to the low power but it's not happening. The reality of the instruments, the presence and tonal information mean that no genre gives the feeling that you're missing something. I'm sure that with a few more watts that large orchestral crescendos and the like could be even more dramatic but there's just so much information coming at you that unless you're undertaking a critique session it's always an inthralling and complete experience.

Ali Tait
14-09-2011, 22:20
Not using any SET's at the moment, but have used several in the past, and definately the topology of choice for me.

Aye, Langrex are a little more, but at least they are in the UK and the valves are guaranteed.

I hope to have the direct coupled GM70 amps completed in the not too distant future.

aquapiranha
14-09-2011, 22:41
Wow that is a lovely looking amp Steve. Not much more power than the Decware Zen I was using the sachiko's with at one point, and very nice the sound was too. This is the Decware, I will be looking closely at that amp you have there, nice. Steve

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/aquapiranha/Decware/CIMG3149.jpg

SPS
15-09-2011, 08:13
nice little amp, i have heard the WAD amp Ali noted above in one of my set ups, the power supply in that example was not quite so good, i could hear slight effect on the sound, other than that it was very fine amp?

it is very suprising was a decent low watts valve amp can to, it has to be heard to be believed, in your home is best,
there are many poor ones out there, so its not easy to find a good one.
you have been lucky.
my main system runs at 2 1/2 watts in the lounge, plays every type of music
- loud.. my speakers match the amp
any one that can solder/ understand basic electricity and has a bit of comon sense could build there own... people dont for lots of reasons, the investment in parts and lack of confidence and the high possiblity their speakers will not match.
you have a head start with those speakers ..

electric beach
15-09-2011, 09:10
Is it a Steve club?

Single-ended
Triode
Evangelical
Valve
Enthusiast

aquapiranha
15-09-2011, 10:37
Lol Steve, perhaps! I think the Decware Zen was about 1.8W but it drove the Sachiko's to anti social levels with ease.

i have seen quite a few small, low powered valve amps of late, some from China and it would be interesting t see how they fare considering how important the quality of the transformers are.

I am sure I saw that someone here here has for example the Glow 1 as seen here..

http://www.glow-audio.com/i//white_james.jpg

electric beach
15-09-2011, 12:18
I found it posted that Ali has/had one for headphones - but he gets commission from Mr Liang now :lol::lol::lol:

Good reviews. Certainly unique things are possible if power is not an issue and most people wouldn't get to hear a headphone amp with Sachikos!
May be unfair to compare mass production from China with a lifetime's dedication to designing and producing valve amps with bespoke iron, where sound quality is the prime driver.

aquapiranha
15-09-2011, 12:44
I have actually tried a Mr. Liang on the Sachikos. I had one for a couple of weeks that belonged to the late, great Dave Hewitt who let me try it out. i thought it was a very good amp but for some reason I went back to using the Decware and / or Trends TA10.1 I had at the time.

Ali Tait
15-09-2011, 13:23
I found it posted that Ali has/had one for headphones - but he gets commission from Mr Liang now :lol::lol::lol:

Good reviews. Certainly unique things are possible if power is not an issue and most people wouldn't get to hear a headphone amp with Sachikos!
May be unfair to compare mass production from China with a lifetime's dedication to designing and producing valve amps with bespoke iron, where sound quality is the prime driver.

I do indeed have one of those Glow Audio amps. Very good it is too.

As for commission-I wish! :lol:

SPS
16-09-2011, 09:51
Is it a Steve club?

Single-ended
Triode
Evangelical
Valve
Enthusiast

fantastic.....

Just be carefull you may end as sad as me...

Toby
20-09-2011, 18:19
Photos look good, very nostagic look to it all.

electric beach
21-09-2011, 10:16
Thanks Toby - but nostalgic? This is the second golden Age of Tubes!

It's the way forward :bum: