PDA

View Full Version : Michell Gyro motor noise

hughmc2
12-09-2011, 20:59
Can somebody give me some advice please.

The motor on my Michell Gyro is making a very faint "rapid ticking" when running. It is not anywhere near as audible when you take the belt off the pulley. I read that if you take the pulley wheel off the top ( using the tiny hex head bolt ) and put a drop of the bearing oil down the spindle that should fix it but I don't want to go putting oil anywhere until I know whats what.

I bought the turntable from a very reputable ( and rich ) guy who had bought it on a whim, then never used it. It sat unused for a year. I cleaned and oiled the bearing sump when I got it but never touched the motor.

blake
13-09-2011, 01:44
AC motor or DC motor?

hughmc2
13-09-2011, 09:09
the power supply is a tranformer so I'm guessing DC ?

blake
13-09-2011, 12:19
Is the base surrounding the pulley at the top of the motor housing flat or knurled. Flat indicates DC, knurled would indicate that it is the AC motor.

The DC motor I am not familiar with maintenance on; if it's AC I might be able to help you out.

DSJR
13-09-2011, 18:33
A call or email to Michell should give the required answers... Please report your findings so others could be helped.. :)

hughmc2
13-09-2011, 18:33
it's DC then, but thanks for taking the time to post.

very much appreciated.

hughmc2
13-09-2011, 18:34
A call or email to Michell should give the required answers... Please report your findings so others could be helped.. :)

Email sent. Will ring tomorrow

and report back........

hughmc2
16-09-2011, 13:51
reporting back on Gyro DC motor noise

Michell were very busy and did not answer my email but once I got through on the phone they were very helpful.

Basically faint mechanical noise from the DC motor is the norm, but once you move your ear more than 6" - 12" away from the motor you cannot hear it. That is exactly what I found. So all is ok.

They also said that it is sealed unit and any oil on the spindle would not go down into the motor anyway.

To be honest the noise from the motor is not as loud as the ticking from the clock or the sound of next doors kids. It's just that having only had a Techy SL1210 any noise from the turntable was unusual.