PDA

View Full Version : Linn now setting the customer service standard just that little bit higher.

Neil McCauley
02-11-2008, 09:36
A worthy goal for those UK audio maker 'also rans' now lagging sadly behind?

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54728

---//---

Togil
02-11-2008, 11:15
Well let's hope the complaint is genuine, because a vaguely similar post you raised ( regarding Nagra ) turned out to be " specious and possibly malicious " according to the editor of a magazine who investigated

Primalsea
02-11-2008, 11:51
If it is true I'm fairly certain that Linn have broken the law. If a manufacturer repairs an item the parts used and the work have to be warranted for 1 year.

Steve Toy
02-11-2008, 12:19
With a customer service policy like that Linn deserve to go out of business.

Togil
02-11-2008, 13:18
If it is true I'm fairly certain that Linn have broken the law. If a manufacturer repairs an item the parts used and the work have to be warranted for 1 year.

It's not as simple as that. Only within the first 6 months does the retailer have to prove that there was nothing wrong with the part and it was normal wear and tear. After 6 months it's up to the customer to show that there is something inherently wrong with the part. You can do this for up to 6 years ( in england ) Famous case : Landrover Engine

Primalsea
02-11-2008, 13:30
It might actually be a good idea to have a sticky that explains in plain English what exactly manufactuers and retailers and obliged to do. Also if they fail to do it what can be done about it.

Neil McCauley
02-11-2008, 15:20
Well let's hope the complaint is genuine, because a vaguely similar post you raised ( regarding Nagra ) turned out to be " specious and possibly malicious " according to the editor of a magazine who investigated
Yes. he didn't he - and at a stroke neatly avoided raising the issue. Convinient or what? Clever!

And to who's benefit? Well ....... certainly not potential consumer's; that's for sure!

Status quo remains neatly intact, as you might expect.

Meanwhile the Nagra owner told me on Friday that his experiences, far from being "specious and possibly malicious" were in fact as reported on the PFM forum posting. Finally, and not wishing to be too pedantic, let's get the vocabulary right. I didn't "raise" the previous post; I merely drew attention to it. Not the same thing at all because the motivation of the person who submitted the post was, I'm pretty certain different to my motivation in drawing attention to it. After all, I'm not the poor so and so who owned the item in question!

---//---

Togil
02-11-2008, 16:25
He apparently avoided the issue because it would have raised the question of disappointment with s/h bargains

Neil McCauley
02-11-2008, 16:30
He apparently avoided the issue because it would have raised the question of disappointment with s/h bargains
Interesting. Thank you.

What do you make of this - from a 'civilians' perspective?

Thanks

Howard

PS

Your avatar appear to be the classic Family line up. Am I correct?

---//---

Togil
02-11-2008, 20:09
Yes ! It's a picture from the 1969 Hyde Park concert ( I missed that by a few days )

The question of servicing abroad is a tricky one, personally I prefer a generous warranty period ( 3 to 5 years ) - my MBL player was repaired in Germany under warranty in year 2 - it didn't take long.

dmckean
02-11-2008, 22:34
All I know if I ever spent $8500 on a pre-amp I'd expect them to fly someone out to my living room to fix it.

Togil
03-11-2008, 06:33
Unfortunately on-site repairs are in some cases no longer possible due to health and safety rules.