PDA

View Full Version : What/best arm for a Mitchell Orbe?

sprint
06-09-2011, 14:32
Looking to buy a Mitchell Orbe turntable.

Would like a SME V or IV but really both our outside my price range at the moment even with discounts.

Have look at 2nd hand but people are still asking well over £1K.

Which would be the best alternatives to look at, Mitchell Tecnoarm, SME 309..............?

Cartridge would be a Benz-Micro Wood

griffo104
06-09-2011, 14:57
I have a Michell Orbe SE with a Technoarm on it and it's a very good match. I've used the arm with a wide range of carts and all seem to fit pretty well.

I've also tried an SME 309 and although better than the Michell in several areas I didn't feel it justified the cost difference but SME are a very good match with Michell decks.

I've also heard a few OL arms as well on a friend's Orbe and I think he currently has the latest version of the Illustrious and it's also very good but maybe a little too pricey.

Pretty much any arm is a possibility as Michell can custom make armboards for you and they are an absolute doddle to change on the Orbe - even a cack handed muppet like myself finds it easy.

sprint
06-09-2011, 15:36
I have a Michell Orbe SE with a Technoarm on it and it's a very good match. I've used the arm with a wide range of carts and all seem to fit pretty well.

I've also tried an SME 309 and although better than the Michell in several areas I didn't feel it justified the cost difference but SME are a very good match with Michell decks.

I've also heard a few OL arms as well on a friend's Orbe and I think he currently has the latest version of the Illustrious and it's also very good but maybe a little too pricey.

Pretty much any arm is a possibility as Michell can custom make armboards for you and they are an absolute doddle to change on the Orbe - even a cack handed muppet like myself finds it easy.

Thanks for the reply and comments, which are very helpful.

Price is very much a limiting factor at the moment as I have the initial outlay on the deck so the OL Illustrious is also out.

Wakefield Turntables
06-09-2011, 18:30
+1 for the technoarm on your Orbe, indeed any rega from the 250 onwards would sound very very nice, try ortofon or audiotechnica cartridges. I have listened to an Orbe system with something similar at a local hi-fi dealer and it sounds excellent. The SME is better IMHO, you could always try a 309 or even a IV ?

DSJR
06-09-2011, 19:33
If cost is an issue, then get the technoarm (my mate hifi dave had one for dem last time I was there ;)). SME's do cost dearly, but they're such a pleasure to use and own and they also suit the Orbe so well. With the technoarm, just choose the cartridge carefully. An old mate has a Sumiko Blackbird in his and loves it.

griffo104
07-09-2011, 09:28
well I've had the following carts in my Technoarm:

Goldring Elite
Denon DL304
Denon DL301ii
Denon DL103
Lyra Dorian

All except the DL103 have been a good match. the Lyra being my favourite one but I currently have the DL301ii in there and it's a pretty fine job for not a lot of money.

I also think the Goldring MM carts are an excellent match for the Technoarm.

I've also heard the Sumiko Blackbird which is a very good cart, very easy flow and completely lacking in anything mechanical. A very good cart. I nearly bought one for my setup last year but then I had to spend the money on my other half's car :rolleyes:

sprint
07-09-2011, 10:02
Thanks for all of your replies and comments so far, which are very helpful.

Misnomer
07-09-2011, 20:10
I would agree with getting a Tecnoarm. I've just added one to my Gyro and it has absolutely throttled my Audio Note Arm One, which is a modded RB250.

I'm running a Sumiko Blue Point Evo III on it and am very pleased! (previously using a DL160? and Audio Note modded Goldring 1042.

I think I was lucky in finding a good eBay deal from a fellow Canadian. Got the arm for £206 almost new.....he's the proud owner of a new-to-him Micro Seiki deck.

Jeff Z

Wakefield Turntables
07-09-2011, 20:34
Just to complicate things. Have you had a look at the latest Funk tonearm's, they seem to have completely rejigged the Rega tonearm again. The cost for the FXR 1000 I think is approaching something of a second hand V.

DSJR
08-09-2011, 10:51
How to shoot oneself in the foot - make a pretty sound mod and then charge the earth for it. At least George Hadcock made his own excellent (when working) tonearms from scratch - literally - and didn't rely on bodging someone elses efforts to suit his ideals......

Spectral Morn
08-09-2011, 11:01
I have seen SME 4s on PFM and WigWam in recent times for about the £800 mark so be patient, they do turn up from time to time. You will need to factor in an SME armboard (not sure how much those are these days)The techno arm is a very good arm but its not in the same league as an SME imho.

The Audio Mods arm might be another option, though I have never heard one (rega mount) as would one of the Origin Live arms (The encounter) also rega mount.

Regards D S D L

Mika K
10-09-2011, 23:09
Tecnoarm will do the trick but also Origin Live has some good alternatives e.g. the silver model..