PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Today (Classical version)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Marco
05-09-2011, 17:41
Thought I'd start a 'Spinning Today' thread, classical version - so let's hear all about the classical tunes you're spinning every day :)

I popped into a charity shop in Mold today and got the following on minty vinyl:

Bruckner - Symphony No.3 In D Minor (Bernard Haitink - recorded 1968)

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.5 In E Flat, Op 73 "Emperor" with Vienna Symphony Orchestra (William Van Otterloo) recorded in 1968

Bruckner - Seventh Symphony In E Major with Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (Wilhelm Furtwangler)

Camille Saint-Saëns - Symphonies Nos.1 in E Flat and No.2 in A Minor, with the Orchestre National de L'O.R.T.F (Jean Martinon) recorded in 1973

Bruckner - String Quartet In C Minor/Intermezzo for String Quartet with The Keller Quartet

Tchaikovsky - Casse Noisette, Ballet Suite, Op. 71a, Le Lac Des Cygnes, Ballet-Suite, Op.20 with London Pro Musica Symphony (Albert Reeves)

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.6 in B Minor, Opus 74 'Pathetique' with The London Philharmonic Orchestra (Sir Adrian Boult)

Sibelius - Symphony No.5 In E Flat, Op. 82/Karelia Suite, Op.11 with The London Symphony Orchestra (Alexander Gibson)

Schumann - Piano Conerto in A Minor, Op.54 Papillons, Op.2 Arabesque, Op.18 with The London Symphony Orchestra (Josef Krips), Wilhelm Kempff, Piano

Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake/"1812" Overture/Romeo And Juliet with The Nord Deutsches Symphony Orchestra and The London Philharmonic Orchestra (Wilhelm Rohr/Sir Adrian Boult

Tchaikovsky - Suite No.3 in G, Op.55 (Theme and Variations) with The Paris Conservatoire Orcherstra, Symphony No.3 in D Major, Op.29 "Polish" with The London Philharmonic Orchestra (Sir Adrian Boult) Recorded in 1971

Camille Saint-Saëns - Symphony No3 "Organ Symphony", Gaston Litaize, Organ with The Chicago Symphony Orchestra (Daniel Barenboim) recorded in 1976

Taneiev/Glazounov - Symphony No.2/Symphony No.5 with The Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra (Vladimir Fedoseyev) Recorded in 1975

Richard Strauss - Don Juan, Op.20, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op.30 with The Chicago Symphony Orchestra (Fritz Reiner) Recorded in 1961

Rachmaniniov - Symphony No2 In E Minor, Op.27 with The Detroit Symphony Orchestra Recorded in 1958

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana, Gundula Janowitz, Gerhard Stolze, Dietrich Fisher-Dieskau with The German Opera Berlin (Eugen Jochum) Recorded in 1968

Bruckner - Symphony No.6 In A Major with The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (Joseph Keilberth) Recorded in 1963

Bach - Fernando Germani plays Bach at the Royal Festival Hall (including Toccata and Fugue in D Minor) Recorded in 1960

Bruckner - Symphony No.7/ Te Deum with Netherlands Radio Chorus Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam (Bernard Haitink) Recorded in 1967

Mahler - Symphony No.3 Maureen Forrester, Contralto, Women's Chorus of the Netherlands Radio Boys' Chorus of St-Willibrod's Church Amsterdam, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam (Bernard Haitink) Recorded in 1966

Not bad getting all that for £20! :cool:

Off to spin them now...........

Marco.

Tim
05-09-2011, 17:48
Hat's off to you Marco, that's quite a haul for only 20 of your English pounds!

Two Bruckner 7's in there too, fantastic :)

Marco
05-09-2011, 17:51
Hi Tim,

Yes I was rather pleased with it myself, and they're all in wonderful condition! :)

Marco.

norfifty
05-09-2011, 20:13
Charles Avison Six Concertos Op 3 - Avison Ensemble, on Naxos

Schubert Impromptus - Alfred Brendel, on Philips Duo

Marco
05-09-2011, 20:20
Oh I forgot to mention two 10" albums I got on the Decca label (again both minty):

Bizet - Symphony in C Major with L'Orchestre da la Suisse Romande (Ernest Ansermet) Recorded in 1960.

Wagner - Die Meistersinger Von Nurnberg, Prelude to Act 3 with The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (Hans Knappertsbusch).

Both are excellent! :)

Marco.

krautrock2
05-09-2011, 21:06
Hi Marco!

I just felt that you were the most friendly member on this site. Others have been kind of rude to me and unpolite. I am not british, so there are cultural differences of course, most members missunderstood me and some other administor deleted the images of my system which took nearly a day to upload and he insisted that i use Imageschak to upload again. Well maybe i don't get their sense of humor and slangs and forgive me if i am not too much into computers and feel lost in a sea of links and hyper links and registrations, passwords, to upload your images click here, etc...

Could i modestly suggest to you one truly outstanding Symphony? Very well recorded too!
MAHLER Symp num 2 "Resurrection" with vladimir jurowsky conducting The Philharmonic Orchestra at the Royal festival hall in 2009. It is captured live and just been released two month ago on LPO's own label, and believe me it is THRILLING and that is an understatement.
This is the best version right now and it wipes with the floor with the recent performances of the same of Mariss Jansen and The Concertgebauw Orchestra and also Rattle's and Ivan Fisher's.
The price is...well that is relative, not cheap but it is on two discs and it is worth every penny. i call it THE MIRACLE VERSION, THE SYMPHONY!
To really enjoy it i think you need a very wide dynamic range, a nearly full range floorstander would do it justice and also in my modest opinion a three way dynamic speaker would be much better than a two way, stats or panels in this instance.

I hope i did not offend you unintentionaly because of the different use of words and language, different cultures...
I am nice guy really.

sincere and warm regards,

Roger Rahal

BTH K10A
05-09-2011, 21:54
Marco

The Keilberth Bruckner 6 is a great recording. Is your copy on the telefunken label or a reissue?

http://www.popsike.com/JOSEPH-KEILBERTH-Bruckner-ORIG-Telefunken-GER50s-MINT/380333158715.html

Marco
05-09-2011, 22:26
Telefunken, dude :)

Marco.

Barry
12-09-2011, 14:47
Just realised that I mis-filed this post. This sub-thread is the more appropriate place.

Samuel Barber – Adagio for Strings (http://www.last.fm/music/Samuel+Barber/+videos/+1-RRMz8fKkG2g)

- it seemed appropriate.

I prefer the choral version (http://www.last.fm/music/Samuel+Barber/+videos/+1-OIUxwEJ-GXI), but the images are inappropriate on this occasion:

Followed by

Györgi Ligeti – Atmosphères (http://www.last.fm/music/Gy%C3%B6rgy+Ligeti/+videos/+1-fXh07JJeA28)

then

Philip Glass – Koyannisqatsi

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NO65ok02L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Marco
20-09-2011, 16:01
Currently listening, on vinyl, to Beethoven Piano Concerto No5 "Emperor", Friedrich Gulda, piano, Orchestra of the Vienna State Opera, Hans Swarowsky, conductor. Recorded in 1970 on Synchro Concert Hall Records.

This is rather excellent :)

Marco.

MartinT
20-09-2011, 16:58
Beethoven Symphony No. 5 - Kleiber, VPO, DG [cd]

Sometimes it's good to play a popular piece and learn, once again, what a genius Beethoven was. Possibly the most perfect symphony ever written and undoubtedly the best performance on record. Simply thrilling to listen to.

http://www.vinylparadise.com/goodlp/1/8be5klh1.jpg

Tim
20-09-2011, 18:54
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E8-ED0vIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Prompted after a programme on Radio 4 this afternoon, which has given me a deeper understanding of this fantastic work.

MartinT
20-09-2011, 19:11
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E8-ED0vIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The first movement is stark and really quite unsettling but perhaps not as terrifying as the first movement of the ninth. In the latter, Mahler was clearly afraid of dying, in the former he seems to have accepted it but the other-worldliness is quite apparent.

The Grand Wazoo
20-09-2011, 19:16
The Maureen Lipman character in 'Educating Rita' had it nailed, I reckon:

'Wouldn't you just die without Mahler?'

Marco
20-09-2011, 19:35
Now (on vinyl) Chopin Nocturnes Vol.2, Peter Katin, recorded in 1958 on Decca Eclipse.

Next (on vinyl) Schubert, The Trout Quintet in A Major, Clifford Curzon with the Vienna Octet, recorded in 1968 on Decca Ace of Diamonds.

Hey, I could quite get into this classical malarkey - the sound quality on these early original releases on vinyl is simply breathtaking!! :eek:

Marco.

Tim
20-09-2011, 20:07
Some very good choices there Marco :)

And Chris . . . . indeed and I couldn't live without Mahler either - I think if someone said you could only take one classical composer's work to a desert island, it would be a very hard choice but ultimately it would have to be Mahler.

MartinT
20-09-2011, 21:34
I think for me it would be a close run thing between Beethoven and Mahler.

Marco
20-09-2011, 22:34
Oi loikes me Shostakovich - dark and brooding to slit your wrists to! :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
21-09-2011, 05:24
Shossie is fab, but perhaps doesn't cover a huge span of emotions. As you say, dark and brooding most of the time. Have you tried his 13th Symphony? :eek:

Marco
21-09-2011, 10:07
Indeed... Cheery isn't it? :eyebrows:

I usually listen to that one in the dark in the small hours of the morning, particularly during the winter months when its snowing outside, and as I watch the snowflakes falling, the room lit only by the glow of my valve amps, disturbing thoughts enter my mind......

Marco.

MartinT
21-09-2011, 12:09
I usually listen to that one in the dark in the small hours of the morning

Yes, I've done that too. Heard it live at the Albert Hall two years ago and it was a searing performance, really outstanding.

Marco
21-09-2011, 17:47
Yep, that must've been awesome! One of the reasons I like Shostakovich, other than the dark and brooding nature of his work, is that, to put it simply, there's always 'stuff going on'.

I don't really like 'plinky-plonk' classical music, where it's very sparse and there are more quiet bits than anything else. Booorrrrriiinngg! I like something rousing, which stirs the soul, and when an orchestra is belting it out in full flow, and the sheer brutal 'physicality' of the performance takes your breath away - oh yes sireee, dat's my bag! :eek:

Fecking awesome:

FQccC7ATJbE&feature=related

Marco.

MartinT
21-09-2011, 17:54
Try any of Stravinsky's Petrushka, Firebird or Rite of Spring suites, then :eek:

Marco
21-09-2011, 17:58
Will do! :)

You know what I mean though, dontcha?

Marco.

MartinT
21-09-2011, 17:59
Oh I do, and I tend to gravitate towards those pieces too :)

The Grand Wazoo
21-09-2011, 23:05
Try any of Stravinsky's Petrushka, Firebird or Rite of Spring suites, then :eek:

Ha! If you like 'plenty going on', then Igor's yer man! (.....or one of them!)

Marco
22-09-2011, 05:17
I shall investigate his works :)

keiths
22-09-2011, 15:30
Not exactly exciting or anything, but I picked up a boxed set of LPs - "The Great Composers and Their Music" from a local charity shop today. They are from a 1985 Marshall Cavendish monthly part-work which, I think, consisted of 66 magazines and LPs. The box I picked up only has 22 LPs (all Deutsche Grammophon, Philips, or Decca recordings), but they are all in mint condition and only cost £3 for the lot - less than 14p per LP :lol:

Marco
22-09-2011, 15:56
Well done, Keith - that was a nice haul! :)

Marco.

MartinT
22-09-2011, 16:25
"The Great Composers and Their Music"

I have the full set on vinyl. They're a great way to build a collection, some very old recordings but no bad performances at all.

Barry
22-09-2011, 17:22
Currently listening, on vinyl, to Beethoven Piano Concerto No5 "Emperor", Friedrich Gulda, piano, Orchestra of the Vienna State Opera, Hans Swarowsky, conductor. Recorded in 1970 on Synchro Concert Hall Records.

This is rather excellent :)

Marco.

If you liked the Gulda version I can also recommend the Steven Bishop (vinyl, 1969 Philips SAL 3787) and the Arrau (vinyl, 1986 Philips 416 215-1).

In fact all Beethoven's piano concertos are worth investigating: Brendel playing No 1 (vinyl, 1987 Decca TV 3425S) as well as No 3 and 4.

When you have heard the Bruckner let us know. I'm slightly ambivalent about Bruckner - the adjective that comes to mind when I hear Bruckner (especially live) is "monumental"!

Love Shostakovitch - but do check out his small ensemble pieces.

I don't really like 'plinky-plonk' classical music, where it's very sparse and there are more quiet bits than anything else. Booorrrrriiinngg! I like something rousing, which stirs the soul, and when an orchestra is belting it out in full flow, and the sheer brutal 'physicality' of the performance takes your breath away - oh yes sireee, dat's my bag!

Definitely symphonic pieces then and in particular Stravinsky, especially the finale of the Firebird!

Then one day, we must talk about Mozart and Bach. Mozart is sheer genius (and that's not hyperbole) and Bach basically "wrote the rules".

Boy - are you about to embark on a long and, I trust, enjoyable journey of discovery! :)

MartinT
22-09-2011, 21:07
I'll play you Petrushka next time you're over, Marco. It's very exciting to listen to.

WOStantonCS100
26-09-2011, 00:17
Ottorino Respighi The Great Tone Poems (Pines of Rome / Fountains of Rome / Roman Festivals)
Eugene Ormandy / The Philadelphia Orchestra

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/IMG_9093.jpg

MartinT
26-09-2011, 05:56
Ottorino Respighi The Great Tone Poems (Pines of Rome / Fountains of Rome / Roman Festivals)

Now, I love these pieces. For performance, I like the Charles Dutoit / Montreal recording on Decca. For sheer overpowering majesty, I love the Louis Lane / Atlanta recording on Telarc (although that misses out the Festival, which is a shame).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K6w74NtFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

WOStantonCS100
26-09-2011, 06:00
Now, I love these pieces. For performance, I like the Charles Dutoit / Montreal recording on Decca. For sheer overpowering majesty, I love the Louis Lane / Atlanta recording on Telarc (although that misses out the Festival, which is a shame).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K6w74NtFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

:doh: Great! Now I have to track down "The Birds" to see what I'm missing out on. :) :)

MartinT
26-09-2011, 06:37
The Birds is a nice pseudo-baroque piece too.

Reid Malenfant
28-09-2011, 20:33
Gustav Holst - The Planets, Berliner Philharmoniker. Deutsche Grammophon..

Conducted by Herbert Von Karajan :)

Way to go... :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
28-09-2011, 21:24
Ottorino Respighi - Church Windows & Brazilian Impressions. Chandos...

OMG, just like the previous i think i'm begining to understand this classical stuff :eyebrows:

MartinT
28-09-2011, 21:30
Now then, Mark, you have chosen two excellent pieces. Respighi is one of my favourite composers. If you like Church Windows, treat yourself to Pines of Rome as I highlighted in post #34. Trust me, it'll excercise your sub-amp & woofers very nicely :)

MartinT
28-09-2011, 21:33
Respighi - Church Windows, Clark, Pacific SO, Reference Recordings [vinyl 45rpm]

Simply stunning :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Qde2PFtrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Reid Malenfant
28-09-2011, 21:36
Now then, Mark, you have chosen two excellent pieces. Respighi is one of my favourite composers. If you like Church Windows, treat yourself to Pines of Rome as I highlighted in post #34. Trust me, it'll excercise your sub-amp & woofers very nicely :)
:lolsign: Martin, you may remember that i got rid of a load of classical stuff that I inherited from my father... I kept the good stuff, or music i could understand if you like ;)

I'll look out for your suggestion, cheers :cool:

This stuff is great :eyebrows: Thank you...

jandl100
11-10-2011, 08:56
OK - I didn't realise this thread existed until Marco poked me in the ribs about it. :oops:

So ... listened to yesterday ...

Herzogenberg - Odysseus symphony on CPO. Later on in life his music became fairly boring and unadventurous. OK for background listening, but .... :zzz: However, this is an early work, full of the grandiose ambition of youth! :thumbsup:
Hilding Rosenberg - 4th Symphony "The Revelation of St John" for baritone, chorus & orch. A Caprice CD. Quite a discovery; large scale, tuneful and really very approachable. Def a keeper. I have a CD of some of his string quartets - I shall give those a listen today.
Langgaard - string quartets 2, 3 & 6. I've had these for a couple of years and play them occasionally, last night I finally started to enjoy them!

jandl100
11-10-2011, 09:05
I popped into a charity shop in Mold today and got the following on minty vinyl: ....

Bruckner - String Quartet In C Minor/Intermezzo for String Quartet with The Keller Quartet

Ah - one of my fave LPs.

I know it's only 'plinky plonk' string quartet, Marco ... but give it a try, it's oh so wistful and sad, full of gentle melancholy. :violin:
... a perfect accompaniment to a glass of red, perhaps.

Marco
11-10-2011, 09:07
OK - I didn't realise this thread existed until Marco poked me in the ribs about it. :oops:

Haha... Are you blind, boy?? It's a sticky, right at the top of the page!! :doh: :eyebrows:

I think I'd like to check out Hilding Rosenberg :)

Marco.

jandl100
11-10-2011, 09:18
Haha... Are you blind, boy?? It's a sticky, right at the top of the page!! :doh: :eyebrows:

Yep, I think I am a bit - blind to stickies anyway ... I tend to skim over those for some reason. :scratch:

Anyway, I've just made a belated noo year resolution to list my previous day's listening here on a daily basis, unless someone tells me to stf up. My tastes tend to the off-the-beaten track obscurities these days!

MartinT
11-10-2011, 09:42
Faure / Durufle Requiems - St John's College Cambridge, Guest, Decca [cd]

My office at work is just next to the school chapel and one of our girls was singing the Pie Jesu from the Faure, accompanied by the organ, very beautifully this morning. So I took my cup of coffee and sat and listened. It inspired me to dig out one of my all-time favourite recordings of these pieces (I have many), recorded in Cambridge. Forgive the occasional traffic noise because the boy alto is just amazing.

http://images.getmusic.com.au/images/local/250/7f61a1db-2a0a-424b-8f8e-f9a19b6d29f0.jpg

Marco
11-10-2011, 10:30
Yep, I think I am a bit - blind to stickies anyway ... I tend to skim over those for some reason...

It's funny - I often think that making threads into stickies ends up achieving precisely the opposite from what was intended... :scratch:

Anyway, I've just made a belated noo year resolution to list my previous day's listening here on a daily basis, unless someone tells me to stf up. My tastes tend to the off-the-beaten track obscurities these days!

Excellent. Let's hear all about those obscurities - it might result in introducing people to something new! :)

Marco.

keiths
11-10-2011, 10:47
It's funny - I often think that making threads into stickies ends up achieving precisely the opposite from what was intended... :scratch:

I think that too. Also, if people are using Tapatalk to browse the forum on a smartphone, it puts stickies in a seperate tab from the other posts - making it even easier to ignore them :lol:

jandl100
12-10-2011, 10:20
Yesterday's listening ...

Hilding Rosenberg string quartets 1, 6 & 12, on Caprice. A tougher nut to crack than the 4th symphony listened to 2 days ago. But an interesting listen that I am sure will repay future visits.

Robert Hermann (1869-1912) Symphonies 1 & 2, on a Sterling CD. Oh boy! - where have you been all my life, Robert? Simply perfect late Romantic orchestral writing. Difficult to describe, but imagine a musical melding of Mendelssohn and Brahms ... :)

Shostakovich 10th symphony - Karajan / berlin Phil DG 1967. Listened to this version as the Shosty 10th is the subject of a current Wigwam thread ... Hmmm, I am not totally convinced. Herbie mauls the tempos round a bit too much for me, the tymp thwacks in the 'Stalin allegro' are almost inaudible greatly reducing the musical impact. Hmmm, my fave is still Jarvi on Chandos. Karajan is an interesting listen, though.

MartinT
12-10-2011, 10:38
Shostakovich 10th symphony - Karajan / berlin Phil DG 1967. Listened to this version as the Shosty 10th is the subject of a current Wigwam thread ... Hmmm, I am not totally convinced. Herbie mauls the tempos round a bit too much for me, the tymp thwacks in the 'Stalin allegro' are almost inaudible greatly reducing the musical impact. Hmmm, my fave is still Jarvi on Chandos. Karajan is an interesting listen, though.

I have a wonderful 10th with Previn and the LSO. I've just checked and it's now in a double CD with his 13th, which is exceptional.

jandl100
12-10-2011, 10:52
I have a wonderful 10th with Previn and the LSO. I've just checked and it's now in a double CD with his 13th, which is exceptional.

Thanks Martin - I'll keep an eye out for a sensibly (i.e. cheap!) priced copy. ;)
EDIT: I've found one on Amazon.com ... I'll have it routed via a friend in California. :)

jandl100
13-10-2011, 06:51
Yesterdays listening ...

Gilbert & Sullivan's Thespis, watched it on DVD accompanied by the missus (we do a lot of G&S watching together). As hardcore G&S fans will know, Thespis was the earliest operatta and sadly the music is almost entirely lost, but Gilbert's libretto remains. Some bright spark did up some G&S-like music for it. This performance from the Buxton festival a few years ago. It's far from a masterpiece, but worth an occasional outing.

Schubert piano sonatas D 840 & 960. Jonathan Biss on the Wigmore Hall Live label. Some fine Schubert playing there - lovely stuff.

Wagner Wiesendonk Lieder - Christine Brewer, once again the Wigmore Hall Live label. I keep trying with different shades of Wagner ... nope, it doesn't work. :(

But this then cheered me up! ...
Burgmuller Piano Sonata op. 8. A contemporary of Beethoven, the poor sod only lived 1810-1836, but he made quite an impression. This is a mighty fine large scale (26 minutes) sonata - a great listen from beginning to end. :)

jandl100
14-10-2011, 08:37
Yesterday ...

a friend is staying over the long weekend so not much listening.

But these over a slow supper ....

Horn concertos by Fiala, Pokorny and Roseti.
Harp concertos by Wagenseil, Krumpholtz and Dussek.

MartinT
14-10-2011, 09:06
You certainly listen to some obscure material, Jerry.

synsei
14-10-2011, 11:31
Tchaikovsky Overture (1812) - Deutche Gramophon (1990) - Gothenburg Artillery Division - Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra - Gothenburg Symphony Chorus - Gothenburg Symphony Brass Band - Church Bells Of Gothenburg ~ Ove Gotting, Neeme Jarvi.

First time listen to this particular recording, and quite a recording it is too. Very different to my very old Hallmark Classics recording bought way back in 1977 and which is now pretty much defunct.

What strikes me about this version is the sheer scale of the dynamics. The artillery fire is visceral to the extent that you expect to smell cordite. I lost myself totally in this piece and needless to say the volume control was set to an appropriate level so as to deliver its full potential. Oh, hang on a minute, is that a Bomb Disposal team I see pulling up outside? ;)

MartinT
14-10-2011, 12:04
I have this Telarc 1812 on LP (which is on the verge of unplayable such are the dynamics - at one point the groove actually takes a right-angle turn):

http://www.kompaktkiste.de/cd/_label/telarc/80041.jpg

and this Telarc on SACD:

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/dvdaudio/1812-cd.jpg

They both shake the room pretty thoroughly :eek:

synsei
14-10-2011, 12:11
The Telarc recording on vinyl is infamous... :eyebrows: I'm not sure my poor Thorens would ever forgive me if I deigned to plonk that on its platter... :stalks: :lolsign:

jandl100
14-10-2011, 19:34
You certainly listen to some obscure material, Jerry.

Yup - I've a 3000+ disc collection - 95%+ classical - I know all the basic stuff and I like to explore and discover new music. There is an amazing amount of genuinely wonderful and deeply rewarding classical music beyond the 'standard repertoire'. :)

MartinT
14-10-2011, 19:37
Oh there are some beauties, I agree, and I have some too. But much of the 'standard repertoire' is awesome music and no less wonderful because it's more well known.

jandl100
14-10-2011, 19:46
Oh there are some beauties, I agree, and I have some too. But much of the 'standard repertoire' is awesome music and no less wonderful because it's more well known.

Yes yes! I totally agree. It's 'standard repertoire' for a good reason!

But equally, there is some wonderful music that isn't 'standard' and that is very rewarding to dig out. :) I bet you'd be bowled over by that Burgmuller piano sonata and the Robert Hermann symphonies I have previously mentioned.

synsei
14-10-2011, 19:54
I lost touch with classical music after I left school apart from the very few signature pieces I still have in my collection (The Planet Suite, 1812, Beethovens 5th etc). I rediscovered orchestral music a few years later after having seen such wonderful sci-fi blockbusters as Star Wars, Alien, Close Encounters etc where I fell in love with orchestral soundtracks. Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, John Barry, Trevor Jones et al will probably go down as last centuries superstar classical composers and may even be placed up there with the big guns one day...

MartinT
14-10-2011, 20:36
Add to that Ennio Morricone, Dave.

Thanks, Jerry, I'll try and look those pieces up.

WOStantonCS100
15-10-2011, 05:54
Given the aforemention, I feel a little bit better about posting this here:

Frank Sinatra Conducts The Music Of Alec Wilder / The Alec Wilder Octet

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/Picture007.jpg

Wiki on Alec Wilder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Wilder)

jandl100
15-10-2011, 07:04
Ummm ... not really classical music, that. Why do you want to post about it here?

Anyhoo ....

Yesterday (friend still here, so not much) ....

Handel - German Arias, with the lovely Arleen Auger. Beautiful.

WOStantonCS100
15-10-2011, 08:58
Ummm ... not really classical music, that.

"In addition to writing popular songs, Wilder also composed classical pieces for exotic combinations of orchestral instruments."

Why do you want to post about it here?

Anyhoo ....

Hey Jerry, have you actually listened to this music, particularly side one of this album?

At any rate, if the moderator deems the post irrelevant to the thread, it can be removed with no objection from me.

synsei
15-10-2011, 13:12
I sort of feel the label 'Classical' muddies the waters somewhat as some will interpret it literally and only consider the traditional Classical composers whilst the majority will, as I did for an awful long time, use the term to describe a wide range of orchestral music. Perhaps the Classical Section should be renamed The Orchestral Section to avoid any confusion. To illustrate, I'd prefer to post in here if I was listening to one of my orchestral soundtracks rather than in the regular What Are You Spinning Today thread.

MartinT
15-10-2011, 13:33
And I agree with you, Dave. Anything that is of a classical nature or that uses orchestral accompaniment is fine here, and that includes film soundtracks. I would not want it to be called the Orchestral Section, however, because of all the solo and choral singing that would not then be included.

synsei
15-10-2011, 13:35
That is a very good point Martin, me bad... :lolsign:

MartinT
15-10-2011, 14:15
Don't worry about it :lolsign:

Even Wikipedia has difficulties with the definition.

jandl100
15-10-2011, 17:21
Yes, fine .. even a purist like me would include a lot of film music under the classical moniker ... Lord of the Rings - YES!! .... so carry on. :)
________

This morning, before a 6 hour hike ....

Haydn Piano Variations in f-minor. I don't normally like Haydn much, finding him a bit too light-hearted and depressingly jolly ... but this is a very serious and deeply felt piece indeed, exquisitely played for me by Nikolai Demidenko on Hyperion.

synsei
15-10-2011, 17:52
Unforgettable Classics ~ Cello ~ EMI - Unforgettable Classics (http://www.allmusic.com/album/unforgettable-classics-cello-w59595)

A fabulous collection of some of the most beautiful pieces written for Cello and an orchestra from EMI.

Alex_UK
15-10-2011, 18:29
I just love the haunting sound of the Cello... might have to give that a try Dave

synsei
15-10-2011, 18:34
EMI released a whole series of Unforgettable Classics compilations back in the mid 1990's Alex and they are all worth a listen. The production values are excellent too as expected of EMI ;)

synsei
15-10-2011, 18:48
Unforgettable Classics ~ Great British Music ~ EMI - Unforgettable Classics (http://www.allmusic.com/album/unforgettable-classics-great-british-music-w59447)

More from this fabulous EMI collection :cool:

WOStantonCS100
16-10-2011, 03:46
I passed up a good handful of excellent condition pressings yesterday for less than 2 pounds a piece. Then, I had a :doh: moment and went back for them today. Luckily, they were all still there. Many are monaural early pressings or radio station copies. I really need to find a great mono cart. Here are the three I've gone through tonight.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/Picture008.jpg

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/Picture009.jpg

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/Picture010.jpg

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/Picture011.jpg

jandl100
17-10-2011, 06:58
Report on yesterday's listening ...

Out hiking during the day, then restaurant meal in evening then bed.
So ..... musical riches experienced .... Nowt. Zilch. Nada.
Very very rare for this to happen!

But I promised a daily report, so here it is. :)

_____

Biff - I must admit I'd love to hear that Bruno Walter Schubert 7 (well, actually more commonly known as the 9th I am sure!).

Marco
17-10-2011, 13:01
Lol - you forgot to tell us what you had to eat... Call that report thorough! :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

jandl100
17-10-2011, 17:16
Chicken Balti Dansak, coconut rice, spinach & chick peas. Yum. :)

Marco
17-10-2011, 17:23
Thank you. That now completes your requirements for the day, and so you have my blessing to continue with the rest of your evening.

Marco.

MartinT
17-10-2011, 18:20
Albeniz - Suite Espanola, Fruhbeck de Burgos, New Philharmonia, Decca [xrcd24]

This Kingsway Hall performance and recording from 1967 is simply stupendous and the XRCD's quality utterly superb. This is Fruhbeck de Burgos' own orchestration of the work more well known for guitar (but originally for piano). Fantastic orchestral crescendi and very thrilling to listen to. Worth the price and then some for importing it from Amazon.com.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517mjB6D-GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

WOStantonCS100
17-10-2011, 23:05
Biff - I must admit I'd love to hear that Bruno Walter Schubert 7 (well, actually more commonly known as the 9th I am sure!).

Jump the pond and I'll have the missus cook up something! :)

jandl100
18-10-2011, 07:26
Yesterday eve (once visiting friend had departed) ...

Stanford Clarinet Trio, nice & cheap on Naxos - lovely stuff. Stanford can be a bit bland, but this was nice - some very natural and lovely writing for the clarinet.

Elgar string quartet and piano quintet. Chandos CD. The piano quintet is a particularly fine piece, the string quartet I find a rather harder nut to crack.

Cyril Scott Violin sonata #1. Naxos. Interesting, & I think this will repay further listening.

jandl100
19-10-2011, 06:15
Zowee :eek: - a mega haul of classical LPs from a local charity shop where I do some volunteer work yesterday.
... I'm the classical LP expert :eyebrows: ... so it's 1st dibs on everything! :whistle:

Took home about 30 and am checking them out for eBay sale / selling in shop / buying them myself ... it's tough work, but someone has to do it. :)
Will go back and pick up some more today.

All but one Minty so far.

So, to the point, yesterday's listening ....

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #3 - Lazar Berman / Abbado / LSO on a 1977 CBS LP. I've not come across this recording before - fine performamce if somewhat light tonality in the CBS manner.

Bach - Well Tempered Clavier Bk 1 selections - Wilhelm Kempff DG LP. It's worth perservering with this - he sets off at a cracking pace, way too fast really. But once into the 2nd prelude and fugue he settles down a bit and the rest is pure unadulterated pleasure. No, not the choice for the original instrument gestapo - but hey, I'm happy enjoying both styles of music making! Very clean, pure and lucid - so maybe he's not far off current 'best practice' after all, albeit on a concert grand, but Kempff always had a light touch when needed.

Richard Strauss - 4 Last Songs / Schwarzkopf / Szell EMI LP. Surely one of the all time classic recordings. I find Schwarzy a bit affected and forced in places (this wouldn't be my fave interpretation of 4LS) but stunningly moving for the most part. I have a copy of this LP already, but this new one is totally Mint. :thumbsup:

Debussy Images & Estampes. Arrau is tinkling the ivories on a Philips LP. Wow - dreamland, man. :drool: Superb.

Granados Goyescas - de Larrocha on piano on original SXL Decca LP. It doesn't get better than this. :nono:

I'm buying that lot. :carrot:

Also listened to ...

Chopin 10 Mazurkas, Scherzo op. 31 Ballade op 23 & Prelude Op 45 - Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (aka the Prince of Kool!) on a DG LP. Hmmm ... the playing is a bit too cool for me, and the LP has a few clicks and light scratches. Nope.

William Byrd - Psalmes, Sonets & Songs 1588 on a L'Oiseau Lyre LP. Very nice, and a wonderful recording and pretty much Minty ... but once is enough! I reckon this might sell well on eBay.

Marco
19-10-2011, 06:49
Nice haul, Jerry! That's defo one of the benefits of working in a charity shop... Let me know if you get any Clarice Cliff pottery in, 'Bizarre' design, (we collect it)! ;)

Marco.

MartinT
19-10-2011, 07:17
Richard Strauss - 4 Last Songs / Schwarzkopf / Szell EMI LP. Surely one of the all time classic recordings. I find Schwarzy a bit affected and forced in places (this wouldn't be my fave interpretation of 4LS) but stunningly moving for the most part. I have a copy of this LP already, but this new one is totally Mint. :thumbsup:

I have this on original EMI, too. I've never been persuaded by Schwarzkopf's performance despite all the adulation and Penguin rosettes etc. It's a bit straight laced for me. It'll take some performance to move me away from the Jessie Norman, which for me is the pinnacle of Four Last Songs and goes straight to the heart.

jandl100
19-10-2011, 07:25
Ah yes, Jessye Norman. Not at all bad - although I haven't heard it decently for years. I want to get a copy of the LP - the CD digital mastering simply shrieks on every system I have heard it when the lass lets loose. :(

MartinT
19-10-2011, 09:24
I have the original Philips CD:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41X1E6ECTTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...and the 24/96 remaster:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/acg/cov200/cl700/l725/l72524swyag.jpg

I have to say the original CD sounds very good and she never shrieks, even in *that* moment during Beim Schlafengehen when she takes the roof clean off the house.

WOStantonCS100
20-10-2011, 04:48
...even in *that* moment during Beim Schlafengehen when she takes the roof clean off the house.

Ok, I'm sold. I'm going to have to find a copy of this and check it out. :)

jandl100
20-10-2011, 08:00
Yesterdays classical tunes ...

Vaughan Williams - Job & Wasps Overture. Boult / LPO. Everest recording from 1959, recently transferred to CD (AAD). Very good performance, and the early stereo recording is quite spectacular, if with overwide stereo spread and a touch of rawness in the treble.

Ravel Daphnis & Chloe Ballet. Maazel conducting the Cleveland Orch on a Decca LP. The recording is superb, although I struggle to maintain interest in the music!

Schubert piano impromptus D.899. Murray Perahia, CBS LP. I don't normally empathise with Perahia's playing, but this rather bowled me over - I heard things in the music that simply weren't apparent to me before. Mucho impressed!

MartinT
20-10-2011, 08:34
Schubert piano impromptus D.899. Murray Perahia, CBS LP. I don't normally empathise with Perahia's playing, but this rather bowled me over - I heard things in the music that simply weren't apparent to me before. Mucho impressed!

I really like the Perahia Bach Goldberg Variations and Keyboard Concertos.

MartinT
20-10-2011, 08:35
Ok, I'm sold. I'm going to have to find a copy of this and check it out. :)

You won't regret it, Biff. Her performance is simply outstanding.

jandl100
20-10-2011, 08:39
Yup, I like Perahia's Goldbergs, but I generally find his playing fluent rather than deep. I accept I may be in the minority here, though! I found his Mozart piano conerto series prissy and superficial, although he has of course come on a long way since then.

MartinT
20-10-2011, 08:49
He's no Radu Lupu but then again, who is?

synsei
20-10-2011, 18:38
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/Records/mussorgskypicturesatanexhibitiondeutschegrammophon .jpg

Now this does it for me. A wonderful recording and performance ;)

Reid Malenfant
20-10-2011, 18:41
Been a good few years since i have heard that Dave, same record to i believe ;)

Night On Bald Mountain is pretty spectacular :)

Enjoy...

E2A:- love the new Rama avatar :thumbsup:

synsei
20-10-2011, 18:53
Hi Mark,

Mines a FLAC download and Night On Bald Mountain does shake the room :lol:

The new avatar is actually an original piece of e-art I found searching for a new background. It is inspired mainly by Greg Bears Eon but the artist also credits Rama and and some NASA space station concepts as influences :)

Reid Malenfant
20-10-2011, 18:59
Well stuff me for not recognising Axis City & The Way :doh: Love the book & the sequel Eternity... Wasn't too keen on #3 though - Legacy ;)

MartinT
20-10-2011, 20:51
I thought it represented Rama too, the moment I saw it Dave.

synsei
20-10-2011, 21:21
Both Eon and Rendezvous With Rama contain cylindrical insideout worlds Martin, the difference being that Rama is a metallic, cylindrical spacecraft manufactured by an alien civilization. Rama's interior is devoid of vegetation and is more or less sterile except for a cylindrical sea containing nutrients out of which it's psuedo-lifeforms are grown. The Stone, featured in Eon (or The Potato if you are a Russian in the Eon universe), is a hollowed out asteroid that is also a multiverse traversing craft. It was built by Humans from an alternative universe and contains chambers teeming with terrestrial life as well as others containing the machinery which powers its systems. In actual fact The Stone has it's own weird, cylindrical universe trailing out of its backside, so to speak... :lolsign:

jandl100
21-10-2011, 07:04
Yesterday' listening ....

Shostakovich 7th symphony. Jarvi/Chandos CD. I was recommended this by a Wammer who reckoned it to be the best 7th ever. Hmm ... not bad, if you haven't heard better. Kind of clean and unemotional. It'll be on eBay shortly. :)

Shostakovich 7th symphony. Anton Nanut / Ljubljana SO. Stradivari CD. Aha, now we're cookin' with charcoal!! Superbly involving, the infamous 40 page 1st movement crescendo builds to a truly terrifying climax here, not just a build up to a loud noise that Jarvi plays. Fook me, the Nazi's really are battering at the city gates! :wowzer: Good recording, too, really fruity and dynamic. This remains my fave 7th. :)
(Try Nanut's Bruckner 8th, Mahler's 6th and Beethoven's 7th as well, once again my faves of many versions - a great conductor, sadly overlooked).

Brahms Piano Concerto #2. Pollini / Abbado / Vienna Phil. DG LP. Another Minty from my recent charity shop haul. :) Nice performance, Pollini is energetic and forceful - not the last word in the lyrical sections, but good nonetheless.

Liszt - late piano works, Brendel. Philips 9500 775 LP. My, the terrors of old age are cruelly revealed here. Not the flamboyance and bravura of the younger Liszt, but deep melancholy and sadness. Heavy stuff.

Gloria Coates String quartet #9, 12 solo violin pieces, piano trio. Naxos CD. I just love this lady's soundworld. Very very strange, but compelling. Demonstration class recording too.

MartinT
21-10-2011, 09:07
Shostakovich 7th symphony. Anton Nanut / Ljubljana SO. Stradivari CD. Aha, now we're cookin' with charcoal!! Superbly involving, the infamous 40 page 1st movement crescendo builds to a truly terrifying climax here, not just a build up to a loud noise that Jarvi plays. Fook me, the Nazi's really are battering at the city gates! :wowzer: Good recording, too, really fruity and dynamic. This remains my fave 7th. :)
(Try Nanut's Bruckner 8th, Mahler's 6th and Beethoven's 7th as well, once again my faves of many versions - a great conductor, sadly overlooked).

Thanks for that, Jerry. I've never heard of him, but I shall rectify that shortly.

MartinT
21-10-2011, 09:14
Shossie 7 and Beethoven 5/7 by Nanut on their way :)
I couldn't find the Bruckner anywhere.

jandl100
22-10-2011, 07:51
Yep - the Nanut Bruckner 8 is rare, it comes up on eBay now and then. Last one I saw went for over £10! ... maybe that's because I have been singing its praises on other fora. :eyebrows:
The Beethoven 7 gets off to a slow start, Nanut takes the slow introduction slowly! ... but if you aren't dancing around the room after about 5 minutes I will be amazed! :)

I'm a bit nervous with folks spending ££ based on my reccies - I hope you like them, Martin! :goodluck:

Yesterday's classical choons ...

Chopin piano sonata #3. Perahia, CBS LP. Hey, I like Perahia in Chopin! Imaging is curious on this LP though - mostly from the left channel, and spreads a bit to the middle now & then. :scratch: I need a mono button on my pre-amp!! So good, that I played it twice. :)

Chopin - 14 Waltzes. Krystian Zimmerman - DG LP. Perfect Chopin playing? - supreme delicacy of touch and a wonderfully flowing line. Just yummy. :drool:

Richard Strauss - 4 Last Songs

- Jessye Norman (following recent discussions) on Philips CD. Ooo-err, missus - she screeches on my 2 valve-output stage CDPs but sounds fairly smooth on my Audiolab 8200CD! ... not what I expected! I think the valve jobbies are simply more resolving.
Unlike MartinT, I run a bit hot & cold about this performance. It's VERY slow, which Ms Norman seems to think means deep feeling. Must confess I mainly hear her trying to be technically perfect (and, to be fair, succeeding!) ... but for me there's more to this wonderful music than Our Jess portrays. I find her voice a bit impersonal and cold and find the precision with which she changes the dynamic line to be clinical and calculating, a bit like a robot's rendition of the printed score. Ah well, it takes all sorts, eh! - we can't all like the same things. :argument: In music as in audio! :)
Hmm ... that comes across as overly negative. :hmm: JN's is a very fine performance, and is technically immaculate and has astonishing vocal range and technique, but I prefer others for the reasons given. YMMV!

- next up was Soile Isokoski in the 4LS on an Ondine CD. Speed is more typical here (SI's Im Abendrot is 7m41s compared to JN at 9m54s - a huge difference!!). It seems to me that SI has a warmer tone and a more fluid line than JN and, for me, puts more feeling into the music. It's one of my fave versions - my top faves are Christine Brewer and Felicity Lott. With Lotty probably going to my desert island. :thumbsup: ... her Im Abendrot is 7m30s.

Gabriela Lena Frank - chamber music. Naxos CD. Interesting stuff - she's a contemporary (b. 1972) American of Peruvian/Chinese/Lithuanian/Jewish ancestry :stalks: ... and she melds those cultural influences in her music, making it a bit of a roller coaster ride. Worth exploring, I think.

MartinT
22-10-2011, 11:09
next up was Soile Isokoski in the 4LS on an Ondine CD. Speed is more typical here (SI's Im Abendrot is 7m41s compared to JN at 9m54s - a huge difference!!). It seems to me that SI has a warmer tone and a more fluid line than JN and, for me, puts more feeling into the music. It's one of my fave versions - my top faves are Christine Brewer and Felicity Lott. With Lotty probably going to my desert island. :thumbsup: ... her Im Abendrot is 7m30s.

I have her version, too. It is persuasive and I prefer hers to Lucia Popp's, probably the closest in style. A little lightweight for me, but then I am used to Jessye's version now. I will take Jessye to the desert island with me :)

jandl100
23-10-2011, 06:56
Fair enough, Martin. If you have been smitten by Jessye's 4LS, then I can imagine that nothing can compare! :)

Yesterday's tunes ...

Some Beethoven piano sonatas played by John Lill. I have the complete set on Brilliant Classics. His playing doesn't always hit the spot, but when it does (quite often, to be fair) the sparks really fly. I can imagine Beethoven himself playing like that - leonine, powerful, incandescent ... inwardly brooding, violent, passionate ...
Lill's is the only complete set I now have, and I wouldn't part with it. I've loads of single discs by others, of course ... Gilels, Pollini, Kempff, Backhaus, Brendel, Magaloff, Peter Serkin etc ... but somehow I always return to Lill. :)

Robert Hermann symphonies 1 & 2 - again. I still rate these highly - but then I like discovering obscure stuff!

Beethoven Sextet for string quartet and 2 horns op. 81b, Duo for viola and cello WoO 32, Quintet for string quartet & extra cello Op. 47 "Kreutzer".Early stuff that is quite fun in an easy listening kind of way .... and .... Wow, really quite strange ... the famous Op. 47 Kreutzer violin sonata (violin and piano) arranged for extended string quartet a la Schubert string quintet :scratch:
All played by Archibudelli - a re-release on Brilliant Classics from a Sony recording. A bit of Googling research indicates the arrangement is probably not by Beethoven. Must admit that it doesn't supplant the original, no surprise really, but is enjoyable nonetheless.

jandl100
24-10-2011, 06:25
Yesterday ...

Handel Agrapinna - an opera! Jerry listening/watching an opera - whodathunkit?
Yeah, not bad. Quite enjoyed it. I prefer Xerxes, though.

Delius - Walk to the Paradise Garden - Barbirolli / LSO 1965
Hmmm. I like the music. I know I do. But ... "Glorious John" Barbirolli I have problems with. Over the years I have built up the impression that I have never really heard a Barbirolli performance that ignited much interest in me ... so a month or so ago I bought a 10 CD EMI box set of his recordings, and have been slowly making my way through them. Barbirolli is pretty much worshipped as a Great Conductor, at least in England. I wonder if that last sentence explains all? We English don't have much in the way of Great Conductors, maybe calling Glorious John one was just wishful thinking?
Anyone here have opinions on Barbirolli?

MartinT
24-10-2011, 06:38
I like Barbirolli's Mahler 9th very much, I haven't got a lot else conducted by him.

keiths
24-10-2011, 08:26
Anyone here have opinions on Barbirolli?

I've just bought a 7-LP Reader's Digest box set "The Great Barbirolli" - 6 LPs of bits and pieces + a complete Dvorak 9th. Looks unplayed, so thought it worth a punt at £3.

Might take me a while to get round to listening to it though.

synsei
24-10-2011, 17:49
http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/2007-11-04/braveheart1.jpg

A bit different... ;)

jandl100
25-10-2011, 07:16
Yesterday ...

Tchaikovsky symphony #4 - Ashkenazy / Philharmonia - Decca LP. I'd not even heard of this recording before I found it in my recent charity shop haul. Very Russian - you can tell it's in A's blood. A Wilkinson / Decca recording too :thumbsup: .. not the last word in dynamic excitement, but wonderfully natural 3D recording, full tonality, you're placed toward the front of the rear stalls, I guess.

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #4 - Vasary, Ahronovitch / LSO - DG LP. Hmmm :hmm: ... bit of a disappointment really. Didn't exactly set my world on fire, partly due to the somewhat warm and blurred sonics, but Vasary was not at his considerable best.

Chopin piano concerto #2. Zimerman, Giulini / LAPO. DG LP. Great playing - Zimerman is a superb pianist, but let down by DG's overly warm and rather unfocussed sound.

Beethoven piano sonata Op 110 - Pollini - DG LP. Wow. :drool:

MartinT
25-10-2011, 19:33
Beethoven Symphony No. 5 & 7, Nanut, Ljubljana SO, Stradivari

I listened to the 5th tonight after a recommendation from Jerry and it made for some interesting listening. This performance is so very different from my all-time favourite (Carlos Kleiber, VPO, DG) that I had to rewind and set some reference points. The performance is best described as stark, without melodrama and is performed in a dry acoustic. There is little sense of the orchestra having a conversation and none of the glow of the Kleiber. When I first played it I thought it was performed in a very dry studio, but actually there is a bigger space there and the effect is more due to the playing style of short, staccato sections and more obvious pauses in the flow.

I suppressed my grimace at points and continued with it, trying to understand what Nanut was doing. Did he just want a wilfully different performance than the thousands of others on the market, or was he trying for an effect akin to a smaller orchestra or ancient instruments or even just playing Beethoven in a style of, say, Haydn?

I remain puzzled. I played the Kleiber immediately afterwards and an enormous sense of rightness descended on me, together with a big grin. Now this is rhythmic, powerful, infectious.

Sorry, I don't think the Nanut is for me.

jandl100
25-10-2011, 20:52
Gosh - amazing. The Nanut Beethoven 7th has me dancing around the room!

Different strokes for different folks, eh! :)

MartinT
25-10-2011, 21:10
Different strokes for different folks, eh! :)

Certainly is, Jerry. Unfortunately the 7th paired with the 5th is not conducted by Nanut so I'll have to wait to hear it.

jandl100
25-10-2011, 21:14
Ah - I misunderstood - I thought you were talking about the 7th !! ... re-reading your post, you didn't say what you were actually referring to!

MartinT
25-10-2011, 21:17
Sorry - now edited to make it clear :rolleyes:

jandl100
25-10-2011, 21:19
Aha - I didn't actually recommend Nanut's Beethoven 5th (although I think it is quite good) - I was raving about his 7th! :)

Barry
25-10-2011, 21:53
"And now for something completely different":

George Frideric Handel - 'Six Sonatas for Oboe and Continuo HWV 380 - 385'

Burkhard Glaetzner and Ingo Goritzki: oboe, with Walter Heinz Bernstein: harpsichord, Seigfried Pank: viola and Achim Beyer, violin.
1986, Cappriccio 10 066

This is Volume 1 of a two part issue. Quite frankly, six oboe sonatas is sufficient.

MartinT
26-10-2011, 06:44
I didn't actually recommend Nanut's Beethoven 5th (although I think it is quite good)

Sorry Jerry, I thought you had listed it in an earlier post. It was interesting to listen to and always fascinating to hear how different a familiar piece can be made to sound.

jandl100
26-10-2011, 07:03
Big Symphony day yesterday :) ....

Mahler 3rd symphony. Maurice Abravanel conducting the Utah SO on a Silverline DVD-Audio disc, so the entire 98 minute symphony is on a single disc, recodring produced by the late/great Seymour Solomon.
Very very (very very) good - marvellous actually! - good recording too, if a bit lefty-righty.
I could live with this as my only version, although I also love Tennstedt EMI and Zander Telarc.

And an Adrian Boult extravaganza ...
Schubert 8th symphony (quite good, if a bit over-controlled and restrained), Sibelius 7th symphony (Boult is fairly clueless here, imo).
Schubert 9th symphony. Yaba-daba-do! Pay dirt! After a very slow slow-introduction, Wonderful!

jandl100
27-10-2011, 06:30
Yesterday:

Mahler 5th symphony. Tennstedt / LPO from a 16 CD set of all the symphonies that arrived yesterday. :) (A full set of studio recordings, and live recordings of 5 6 & 7). I played the studio 5th. Marvellous stuff.

Dvorak 9th symphony (New World) - Anton Nanut conducting the Ljubljana SO, An excellent performance and very natural recording ... just a muffed edit half way thru the final movement mars it slightly! :doh:

Beethoven 'Kreutzer' violin sonata. Perlman/Ashkenazy Decca LP. Another from my charity shop haul. Mint, but I really don't like the performance - just note spinning to me. But then I rarely get on with Perlman's violin playing.

Beethoven 6th symphony (Pastoral). Karl Bohm VPO DG LP. Ah, now this is real music making! It must be one of the great classical recordings.

MartinT
27-10-2011, 07:13
Mahler 5th symphony. Tennstedt / LPO from a 16 CD set of all the symphonies that arrived yesterday. :) (A full set of studio recordings, and live recordings of 5 6 & 7). I played the studio 5th. Marvellous stuff.

I was very lucky to see Tennstedt perform live at the RFH before he fell ill and died. His 2nd is superb and so is the 6th.

jandl100
29-10-2011, 07:47
Whoops, I've broken my belated New Year's Rez already! ...

So here's the listening report for 2 days ago, quite a busy day so not much time for music ....

Dvorak Cello Concerto - Rostropovich Karajan DG LP. What a great performance - my fave, I think. Sound isn't too bad either - orchestra is a bit muffled but the solo cello is nicely caught.

And yesterday, another busy day :( ...

Rimsky Korsakov Scheherezade. CD with Anton Nanut conducting the Ljubljana SO (I do like Nanut!) ... but Mackerras / Telarc is unbeatable in this work, I think.

Holst The Planets - Solti / LPO Decca LP. Great stuff! :)

MartinT
29-10-2011, 10:06
Dvorak Cello Concerto - Rostropovich Karajan DG LP. What a great performance - my fave, I think. Sound isn't too bad either - orchestra is a bit muffled but the solo cello is nicely caught.

It's Paul Tortelier for me. Superb music, very thrilling to listen to.

jandl100
31-10-2011, 22:09
Today:

Arvo Part - Fratres, Spiegel, Cantus etc - Tasmin Little CfP CD. Mesmerising!

Rachmaninov Symphony #2 - Ashkenazy - Decca LP. Glorious tunes!

Handel - Coronation Anthems - Preston DG ... a bit tedious apart from Zadok the Priest.

Stravinsky Rite of Spring - Dorati - Detroit SO Decca LP. Cor Blimey! :eek:

jandl100
02-11-2011, 08:04
Yesterday ...

Good Haydn can come from some surprisng sources - I recently picked up a 1972 EMI LP of Klemperer conducting symphonies 92 & 95 with the Philharmonia. More out of morbid curiosity than anything, and the fact that the LP looked completely mint! - and it was only £1 in a charity shop.
I played it yesterday for the 1st time ... Otto Klemperer - dull, plodding, slow .... :zzz: Right?
Not a bit of it! - amazingly taut rhythms and a very infectious joie de vivre that swept me happily from the opening chords to the end!
A keeper for sure.
You never can tell! :)

Burgmuller symphony #2 on a MDG CD. Poor bugger only lived from 1810-1836. :( But he didn't waste much time! The 1st movement clearly pays hommage to Beethoven (who died in 1827) - with a straight knock-off of a passage in the finale of Ludwig's 9th! :) But lots of original thought as well - only received the CD yesterday and I played it thrice. Really enjoyed it - and it gets better as familiarity gains a hold.

Burgmuller piano concerto from the same MDG CD - well, blow me - contemporary with Chopin and very similar in many ways. Great stuff!

MartinT
02-11-2011, 10:41
I've had no time to play classical music in the last few evenings :(
Must dig out something stonking for tonight. I feel a Shossie 7th coming on.

Barry
02-11-2011, 20:21
Beethoven - 'The Late Quartets, Nos. 12 - 17', vinyl.

The Hungarian Quartet: Zoltan Szekely, 1st violin; Michael Kuttner, 2nd violin; Denes Koromzay, viola and Gabor Magyar, cello.

1966, EMI SLS 857 (a 10 LP set of all the Beethoven string quartets)

Regarding the Dvorak Cello Concerto, it's Rostropovitch for me. :)

MartinT
03-11-2011, 21:24
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 7, Nanut, Ljubljana SO, Stravidari [cd]

http://www1.alibris-static.com/cover/l477956otr0.jpg

This is good. A very fine performance, well played and built up to a suitably overwhelming crescendo in the first movement. The orchestra do the necessary Shossie dissonance very well while keeping it tight. I could only wish for a little more of the bass drum in the mix.

Thanks to Jerry for the recommendation.

jandl100
04-11-2011, 08:22
Hey, I'm happy that you enjoyed Nanut's Shosty 7, Martin. :) It's very very fine, I think.

Do try an get hold of his Mahler 6th (quite fast, but very exciting, the only drawback to my ears being a somewhat too fast slow mvt, but even that is in keeping with the overall conception) and also his Beethoven 7th. His Bruckner 8 is another fave of mine, but rather rarer.

Yesterday's classical choons ....

Granados Piano Trio - Chandos CD. Gorgeous.

Haydn keyboard sonata #12 played on the harpsichord by Janos Sebestyen on a 4 LP Hungaroton box set. Sparkling and delicious! Superbly alive recording, too. An Oxfam £3.99 minty bargain. :thumbsup:

Duparc - 5 songs with orchestra - EMI LP. Janet Baker / Previn / LSO. The more I listen to this the more I love it ... I'm not usually a fan of Dame Janet, but she is absolutely yummy here!

Barry
05-11-2011, 18:31
Ravel - 'Bolero'
Boston Symphony Orchestra, cond. Seija Ozawa. 1974 DGG

Usually dismissed as 'juvenile', 'entry-level' or 'trite', Ravel's Bolero is surprising sophisticated and a great piece of music to demonstrate dynamic control and resolution - placing the various instruments in the overall sound stage as they come in and out of play.

After the 15 minutes, the hairs are standing on the back of by neck and I'm covered in goose bumps.

Beethoven - 'Symphony no. 3 ('Eroica')'
Berlin Philharmoniker, cond. Von Karajan. 1984 DGG

When Haydn first heard the 3rd he was said to remarked "Beethoven has done what no other composer has done" "From today everything has changed".

Listening to it this afternoon, I can hear what he meant.

jandl100
06-11-2011, 09:26
Howard Blake - Violin Concerto - ASV CD. Haven't played this for a while, but I got quite entranced by it last night and played it 3 times on the trot! A very fine piece, well recorded. Performed by violinist Christiane Edinger, who just happens to be the soloist in my fave version of Bach's partitas and sonatas for solo violin on 2 Naxos CDs!.

Followed by Blake's "A month in the country" a suite for strings, and the Sinfonietta for ten brass instruments - the latter being a bit of a tour de force and huge fun.

A CBS CD of Blake's piano concerto then followed. Luvverly-jubbly, some simply wonderful piano writing here - from barn-storming to heart meltingly delicate. That'll be on my playlist for today as well. :thumbsup:

A very fine composer, Howard Blake - I shall be investigating more of his work.

And yes, t'was he who wrote the music and words for the animated film "The Snowman" including the beautifully poignant song 'Walking in the air". :)

WOStantonCS100
07-11-2011, 04:57
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/IMG_9287.jpg

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/IMG_9288.jpg

John
07-11-2011, 19:33
Julian Bream and John Williams Together Vinyl

jandl100
09-11-2011, 07:55
Of late:

Tom Cullivan - violin sonata 1 &2, piano quintet. On a Far Western CD. I picked this up on a whim about 15-20 years ago in a Tower Records sale for £2.99. It's been one of my fave CDs ever since. Cullivan is a contemporary Irish composer - the music is just brimming with wonderful Irish melodies and, at times, toe-tapping excitement. Just wonderful. This CD is impossible to get now, I think - so if anyone would like a copy, just drop me a line with your address. This really is too good to miss. :)

Benjamin Britten Cello Symphony. Naxos CD. Hmmm .. every now and then I dig this out and play it. I'll be b*ggered if I get the point of it, but I keep trying!
Happily it is partnered by Britten's genuinely fab violin concerto - so all is not lost! :)

Duparc songs with Janet Baker and Andrew Preview / LSO on an EMI LP. Re-playing this with my new Acoustic Zen speaker cables in place (Thanks Chris / technobear! :thumbsup:) Dame Janet's voice is now so much more real and focussed and there. Yummy.

jandl100
11-11-2011, 08:04
Yesterday:

Stephen Wolpe piano music - on a CPO CD. Hmm. Interesting. Definitely of the 'modern' variety - a challenging listen. I enjoyed it, but not sure if it's a keeper.

Bernard Stevens violin concerto and 2nd symphony on a Meridian CD. British composer 1916-1983. Why isn't this guy's music better known? ... probably because his Marxist views were rather unpopular back in the days of WW2 and the cold war. Fine, well constructed music, though.

Gilbert and Sullivan The Mikado. A Canadian CBC live DVD Video. Watched it with the missus. What a wonderful way to end the day. :)

Barry
11-11-2011, 19:32
Mozart

Symphonies No. 35 ("Hafner") and No. 36 ("Linz") 1963/1962 Wiener Philharmoniker, cond. Rafeal Kublik.

Symphonies No. 39 and No. 41 ("Jupiter") 1981 Staatskapelle Dresden, cond. Colin Davis.

I have numerous versions of these works. This one was first to hand - I was only listening to it in the 'background'. :o

synsei
12-11-2011, 21:31
http://boxset.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/cover_small.jpg

Amandine Beyer & Gli Incogniti - The Four Seasons (Studio Master 96kHz / 24bits)

I've finally lost my cherry to Hi Res audio and this performance sounds absolutely wonderful. These people might as well be here playing in my room this is so real. I am utterly blown away by this, my first real experience of Vivadi's Four Seasons. There is no sense of distortion at all, the strings are full of life and vigour, the Harpsichord quills can be heard plucking the strings, every instrument is alive with delicious aural nuances, and the ambience is tangible.

Here sits one very happy camper... :champagne:

jandl100
13-11-2011, 10:23
Gilbert & Sullivan Pirates of Penzance on DVD. Canadian CBC live recording. Pretty good overall, although Caralyn Tomlin as Mabel doesn't really have the voice for the amazingly high vocal line, but surely this is the best Major General's patter song ever! (I am the very model of a modern major general ...) - the speed is astonishing, the diction superb. Bravo, Douglas Chamberlain! And any connoisseur of the male buttock will surely be impressed by Jeff Hyslop as Frederic. :stalks:

Howard Blake violin sonata and piano quartet etc on a Naxos CD. Hmm .. the viloin sonata is excellent in a post-romantic way, but the rest of teh disc fall a bit flat on first listen.

Vaughan Williams Dives & Lazarus, Symphony #6 - Abravanel / Utah SO on a DVD-Audio disc. Excellent performances. Wow Sound - a bit bass light but superb soundstage, dynamics and rez.

synsei
13-11-2011, 15:42
Gilbert & Sullivan Pirates of Penzance on DVD. Canadian CBC live recording. Pretty good overall, although Caralyn Tomlin as Mabel doesn't really have the voice for the amazingly high vocal line, but surely this is the best Major General's patter song ever! (I am the very model of a modern major general ...) - the speed is astonishing, the diction superb. Bravo, Douglas Chamberlain! And any connoisseur of the male buttock will surely be impressed by Jeff Hyslop as Frederic. :stalks:

:lolsign: Jerry, I love reading your reviews they are so entertaining and informative. I guess you really liked this one then? :)

jandl100
18-11-2011, 08:10
Vaughan Williams symphonies 8 & 9. Haitink on EMI CD. Hmm - not bad for a Dutchman! I had previously bought the bargain full set of 9 symphonies by Haitink - but to my ears the single CDs sound so much better, I found the 'bargains' a bit forward and shrill. The original issue EMI CDs sound superb to my ears.
Much underrated, these particular symphonies - they well repay repeated listening.

John Kinsella String Quartet #3. On a Chandos CD of 'Contemporary Irish String Quartets'. Bought in an Oxfam shop a couple of days back :) Well, this is interesting - def one for the re-visit soon pile. Definitely 'modern' but an interesting and varied sound.

Barry
21-11-2011, 19:41
On vinyl:

Beethoven - String Quartets nos. 1 - 6

Maybe a little intellectual sounding, these string quartets are calming, soothing and a pleasure to listen to.

jandl100
22-11-2011, 09:10
Vaughan Williams 8th Symphony - Haitink LPO, EMI CD (again)

Martinu 3rd Symphony - Jarvi - BIS CD. An interesting symphonic cycle with a very distinctive sound all its own. It doesn't sound like Beethoven or Brahms or Mahler or Sibelius or, well, anyone else really .... it just sounds like Martinu! Certainly worth sampling if you haven't tried them - but I'd avoid the bargain priced Naxos series, as they don't really capture Martinu's soundworld. Try the 1st symphony by Belohlavek or Jarvi or Thomson or Flor.
Jeepers Creepers !! - you can get all 6 symphonies conducted by Neeme Jarvi in stunning sound on 3 CDs for £8 delivered! :eek: ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martinu-Symphonies-Bamberg-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B0017HFRFI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1321952799&sr=1-1
Snap it up, guys. Snap - it - up !! :thumbsup:
... or £3.24 delivered for just the 1st CD in the cycle with symphonies 1 & 2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000027EOF/ref=sr_1_15_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1321953064&sr=1-15&condition=used

jazzpiano
22-11-2011, 17:37
* Bach - Tre Sonate, Concerto Italiano, Quattro Duetti, Capriccio - Sviatoslav Richter, Stradivarius label, STR 33323- very reflective late Richter
* Haydn String Quartets Opus 20, "The Sun Quartets" Schneider Quartet, Haydn Society Records LP, HS-9086
* Boult conducts Butterworth, Howells, Hadley, and Warlock - Lyrita cd, SRCD 245

jandl100
23-11-2011, 07:32
Ah, Barry, the Haydn Op 20 string quartets. Lovely stuff. :thumbsup:

Yesterday for me:

Eckard - keybaord sonatas played on original instrument pianoforte on a Zigzag CD. Bracing stuff!

Mahler 9th Symphony - Tennstedt EMI CDs. The adagio finale is a bit upbeat really ... could do with a bit more angst and despair. :eyebrows: But I guess it's as valid an interpretational approach as any.

Mahler 10th Symphony - the opening 25 minute Adagio - Mahler croaked before he completed the rest. Tennstedt again on EMI CD. Lovely lovely lovely. :)
Others have completed the whole symphony based on sketches that Mahler left, I have a couple of recordings in my collection, but Tennstedt's Adagio was just fine for last night. :)

MartinT
23-11-2011, 08:02
Mahler 9th Symphony - Tennstedt EMI CDs. The adagio finale is a bit upbeat really ... could do with a bit more angst and despair. :eyebrows: But I guess it's as valid an interpretational approach as any.

Mahler 10th Symphony - the opening 25 minute Adagio - Mahler croaked before he completed the rest. Tennstedt again on EMI CD. Lovely lovely lovely. :)
Others have completed the whole symphony based on sketches that Mahler left, I have a couple of recordings in my collection, but Tennstedt's Adagio was just fine for last night. :)

Both wonderful, Jerry. As alternatives, Barbirolli's 9th is suitably doom-laden and Rattles 10th a superb realisation of an incomplete work.

jandl100
23-11-2011, 08:35
Ah, Barbirolli - :hmm: I'm not usually sympathetic to his interpretations. Nor to Rattle's come to that!

It's been ages since I had a serious Mahler period, and I think I feel one coming on now. :eek:
Just checked my shelves for other 9ths - Bernstein DG on CD and Abbado / Lucerne on DVD. That's all. :scratch: :( I really can't recall Lennie's 9th - I haven't heard it in ages - but seems to me there could well be a grief-laden finale to be had there!
I shall have a listen later today. :)
I'll check out the Barbirolli if I can find one cheap.

MartinT
23-11-2011, 09:34
My favourites go:
2nd - Tennstedt or Rattle
3rd - Haitink
5th - Abbado
6th - Abbado
7th - Klemperer
8th - Solti
9th - Barbirolli
10th - Rattle

jandl100
23-11-2011, 10:38
OK - here's mine ...

1st - Litton (leaves the rest far behind!
2nd - Tennstedt, Rattle, Solti (2nd recording), Kaplan's 1st recording (surprisingly good -and great sound!)
3rd - Tennstedt EMI
4th - meh! -who cares? Quite a few are good.
5th - Inoue
6th - Nanut (although I would like a slightly slower slow mvt), Zander
7th - Abbado
8th - I detest the work
9th - currently being investigated!

MartinT
23-11-2011, 11:36
2nd - Tennstedt, Rattle, Solti (2nd recording), Kaplan's 1st recording (surprisingly good -and great sound!)
8th - I detest the work

Yes, I have Kaplan's recording and it's very good, if a touch dry.

8th - seriously?! Perhaps you might try Solti's final half - absolutely awesome and the choir & organ really raise the rafters at the end.

jandl100
26-11-2011, 09:09
Mahler 8th? Nah - I've tried and tried. It sounds gruesomely falsely joyous to me. I don't believe that Mahler meant a note of it! I can't bear to listen.

Anyhoo, that's just one of my little foibles. :)

.... yesterday's choons ...

A Stanford-ian evening.
Sir Charles Villiers Stanford - clarinet sonata, piano trio #3, symphonies 4 & 7. All on 2 Naxos CDs.
It baffles me why this guy isn't better known! - marvellous music. :clap:

Followed by a sonata by Silvius Weiss for solo lute from Naxos's wonderful CD series.
Then off to bed, a happy lad. :)

morris_minor
27-11-2011, 22:51
Playing today:

Elgar's Enigma - LAPO/Mehta (splendid Decca LP)
Bartok piano concerto 1 - Anda, Fricsay/Berlin RSO (DG)
Berkeley Symphony 3 - Lennox Berkeley/LPO (Lyrita)

morris_minor
28-11-2011, 09:03
So far today:

Stanford's Clarinet Sonata with John Denman

Gotta get in the mood for work :lolsign:

jandl100
29-11-2011, 08:52
Playing today:

Bartok piano concerto 1 - Anda, Fricsay/Berlin RSO (DG)
Berkeley Symphony 3 - Lennox Berkeley/LPO (Lyrita)

Interesting listening, Bob!

I have the Anda Bartok PC set, too. Lovely, innit! Unsurpassed in my view. :)

And Berkeley symphony #3 - ooo, I have 1 & 2 and enjoy them a lot. I must investigate numero 3.
I also have Berkeley's string quartets on Naxos - bloody marvellous! :thumbsup:

My recent listening ...

Gilbert & Sullivan, The Gondeliers. Canadian CBC live DVD from 1983. Hmm. Definitely one of my least favourite G&S. 25% good bits, 75% fairly tedious. ... probably worth it for the good bits. :scratch:

Erkki-Sven Tuur - Architectonics IV. On an ECM CD. Wow. Truly weird modern stuff - but entrancing. One of my fave 'modern classical' recordings.

morris_minor
29-11-2011, 11:00
My recent listening ...

Gilbert & Sullivan, The Gondeliers. Canadian CBC live DVD from 1983. Hmm. Definitely one of my least favourite G&S. 25% good bits, 75% fairly tedious. ... probably worth it for the good bits. :scratch:

Erkki-Sven Tuur - Architectonics IV. On an ECM CD. Wow. Truly weird modern stuff - but entrancing. One of my fave 'modern classical' recordings.

I've never warmed to G&S. Neither opera nor operetta are my favourite types of music. I blame being dragged along, as a young teenager - to see/hear Die Meistersinger. Five bloody hours :eek: Never quite recovered. (Brain, or bum :rolleyes: )

Mr Tuur has definitely not been on my radar - though I do like a lot of ECM stuff - Scandinavian jazz, Jan Gabarek & the Hilliard Ens. etc.

Will PM you about Berkeley :)

So far today:

Walton - Choral Music, Christchurch Cathedral Choir (Argo)
and, er
Spyro Gyra - Freetime.

(Just trying out my eBay'd and Vantage Audio serviced SL-Q1 - now considering the mods to be applied to it while Richard's away servicing my SL7 - what a guy! :thumbsup: )

jandl100
29-11-2011, 11:15
I've never warmed to G&S. Neither opera nor operetta are my favourite types of music.

Yup, I can entirely sympathise with that. I'm not an opera/etta fan at all ... the previous exception being Philip Glass's Akhnaten.

But .... I recently discovered a step-brother (long story, don't ask! :doh:) and he is mad keen on G&S so, for family's sake, me and the missus thought we'd give it a go, if only to shut Gareth up! :eyebrows:

Has to be the full audiovisual thing - but, yup, we've been totally converted.
If you'd like a reccie or two to give G&S the best shot, then try this Pirates of Penzance if you can play Region 1 DVDs. :thumbsup:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pirates-Penzance-DVD-Region-NTSC/dp/B000G1ALGQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1322565042&sr=1-4

or this Mikado, cheaper and Region 2! :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gilbert-Sullivan-Mikado-DVD/dp/B000795LDK/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1322565208&sr=1-2

It really is worth a go, imho! :thumbsup:

morris_minor
29-11-2011, 14:41
Has to be the full audiovisual thing - but, yup, we've been totally converted.
DVDs it is then:)

I was listening to more Berkeley at lunchtime (gotta love working from home) - the Serenade for Strings op.12 (another splendid Lyrita disc). I'd almost forgotten how "classically" elegant and well-crafted his music is, with harmonic twists to keep you guessing, and - :eek: melodies too.

morris_minor
30-11-2011, 10:38
Not too much traffic to this thread . . . :violin:

Anyhow.

Have just dug out an Argo LP - ASMF/Marriner playing American pieces - Barber, Ives, Copland, Cowell and Creston. . .

MartinT
30-11-2011, 13:17
Ill be listening a lot more in the evenings once the current work stresses die down. Right now I'm going home and collapsing :eek:

morris_minor
01-12-2011, 10:54
Ravel - String Quartet (Parrenin Quartet on Pathe Marconi)

jandl100
02-12-2011, 09:30
Yesterday ...

Mainly listening to a batch of minty LPs acquired from a charity shop tour ...

Ivan Rebroff sings Russian folk songs on CBS LP. What an astonishing voice! 4 octaves from a basso profundo to a genuine soprano. :stalks: Lovely songs, too.

Butterworth - Shropshire Lad, Banks of Green Willow. Dilkes / English Sinfonia / EMI LP.
Bridge - "There is a willow grows aslant a brook". Soppy title, but actually quite challemging and adventurous, in the Frank Bridge manner. Same LP as previous.

Vaughan Williams - The Wasps overture. Chandos LP with Vernon Handley. Mmm ... a bit laid back in the Handley and Chandos manner. I much prefer Previn on RCA, but Handley is interesting if not exactly bubbling with energy.

Bach organ works with the inimmitable Carlo Curley on RCA LP.

And ending the evening with a CD of Antonio Soler's 4th quintet for harpsichord and strings.

julesd68
02-12-2011, 12:42
OMG - just switched on Classic FM and was treated to a live recording of Martha Argerich playing Rach 3 with Berlin Radio Orchestra and Riccardo Chailly. Simply awesome, she is on-fire. :clapclapclap:

Will be more than happy if she decides to play Rach at next year's Barbican concert.

MartinT
02-12-2011, 13:15
I have her recording of Rach 3 and she really does float across the keys. I will be in seventh heaven if she plays that next year.

jandl100
04-12-2011, 08:12
Yesterday ..

Kalliwoda - string quartets 1, 2 & 3 on a Calliope CD - the next generation on from Beethoven, born in 1801. Very listenable.

Michael Kamen - Saxophone concerto on Warner CD. I lurvs the sound of the sax with a lively pair of lungs behind it, just bursting with vibrant energy & ripping thru the air from the speakers! This is pretty much the perfect classically oriented sax concerto for me - forget the soporific pootlings of Milhaud etc! Bravo!! :clap:

jandl100
05-12-2011, 07:54
Yesterday ...

Vaughan Williams symphonies 3 & 4. Haitink / original issue EMI CD. :) I really like Haitink's cycle.

Gilbert & Sullivan "The Mikado" on DVD. D'Oyly Carte production. Hmmm ... a bit 'stiff', more recent productions have a more relaxed and natural way with the humour of it all.
But Valerie Masterson is seriously yummy as Yum-Yum!
EcNtTm5XEfY

morris_minor
05-12-2011, 09:45
I've never heard Haitink's VW - have got both Boult and Handley (RLPO) cycles, plus some of Previn's. Is there an easy way to characterise it?

Yesterday's fare included "Full of Cobbles" by Nymanesque Glassian Wim Mertens http://www.wimmertens.be/.

Maybe something was lost a bit in the title translation (from French/Flemish?). It does invite comments from those not in tune with the style :lol:

jandl100
06-12-2011, 08:08
I've never heard Haitink's VW - have got both Boult and Handley (RLPO) cycles, plus some of Previn's. Is there an easy way to characterise it?

Some contentious (but deeply felt!) opinions below - so please don't get offended.
All opinions are mine, and your mileage may vary, as they say! :)

Boult and Handley.
Is that the stereo Boult set?
Hmm. Both a bit variable, imo.

Handley lacks oomph and can lack for 'fire in his belly'. I read an interview given by him in Gramophone a few years back, and he was proud of his unexcitable approach. Takes all sorts I guess, but I think RVW is a deeply passionate composer, and I think that is missing in Chuck Handley's RVW interpretations.
I find him much overrated in RVW, but I really enjoy his Elgar, where he does take a more passionate stance.

Boult's stereo 3rd is incomparable, really wonderful, but his 5th is a bit perfunctory and a distinct let down for me.

The 8th and 9th for a long time were underrated - largely because it's only recently with Haitink and (especially) Slatkin that the music has been understood in any sensible way and comes over very strongly. No slacking off in old age for RVW, far from it! But I don't think you'd know that from older recordings.

Previn is an excellent allrounder, but the RCA sound quality is def past its sell by date, which is a great shame.

How to characterise Haitink?
Clear headed, with a fine ear for dynamic gradations, surging and passionate when the music calls for it, but with genuine tenderness where appropriate.
I like his whole cycle a lot - and it has excellent sound quality, although the re-mastering/transfer for the budget set has resulted in rather too forward/bright a sound, imo.
I'm collecting the original EMI CD issues, superb sound!

All imo, ymmv. :)

MartinT
06-12-2011, 08:36
I'm fairly sure I have Boult's 2nd (A London Symphony) and it's a stunning, fiery reading. Superb recording, too.

morris_minor
06-12-2011, 08:43
Thanks for your thoughts, Jerry!

Yes, I've Boult's stereo version on EMI. I don't share your assessment of the Handley cycle, but will readily admit that may be because I had a connection to him through singing in his Guildford choirs :rolleyes:.

Browsing eBay last night I saw Haitink's London Symphony/Tallis LP and have put a "snipe" on it, so I can hopefully hear this. I remember a Prom with Haitink where Elgar 2 was on the program, and I'd got a seat behind the orchestra, just near the horns I recall. This was a tremendous experience.

Anyhow - listening now to Moeran's G minor Symphony on a 78rpm transfer - Leslie Heward and the Halle. This is making an interesting comparison to Boult, Handley & Dilkes ...

morris_minor
06-12-2011, 08:45
I'm fairly sure I have Boult's 2nd (A London Symphony) and it's a stunning, fiery reading. Superb recording, too.

Indeed! It was a vintage period for both Boult and the Bishop/Parker recording team :)

morris_minor
06-12-2011, 10:16
Browsing eBay last night I saw Haitink's London Symphony/Tallis LP and have put a "snipe" on it, so I can hopefully hear this. .

Result. Mine for £0.99 plus p&p. :cocktail:

jandl100
06-12-2011, 10:19
Yesterday ...

Mendelssohn violin concerto with one of my fave violinists, Aaron Rosand. Ooooh, just lovely!

Veljo Tormis - Ocean. A very interesting symphonic suite, and Sibelius Swan of Tuonela, both conducted by the very beautiful Anu Tali ... :drool:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/anu_tali.jpg

jandl100
07-12-2011, 07:56
Yesterday ...

Leclair - violin trio sonatas - Trio Sonnerie - Gaudeamus LP

Elgar 2nd symphony - Solti - Decca LP.

Elgar 1st symphony - Boult EMI LP.

Liszt late piano music - Brendel - Philips LP

morris_minor
07-12-2011, 19:47
Playing now -

Tchaikovsky's 4th - Leningrad Phil, Mravinsky (DG LP)

MartinT
07-12-2011, 20:48
Tchaikovsky's 4th - Leningrad Phil, Mravinsky (DG LP)

That's a good version. Have you tried the Jansons/Oslo on Chandos? A really great performance and recording, beaten only by their own Tchaikovsky 5th, which is stupendous.

morris_minor
07-12-2011, 21:05
That's a good version. Have you tried the Jansons/Oslo on Chandos? A really great performance and recording, beaten only by their own Tchaikovsky 5th, which is stupendous.

No, but I have the Oslo 5th. What I like about the Leningrad performances are the idiomatic instrumental timbres; hollow woodwind, brass with loads of vibrato etc Plus thrilling readings. Some while back I got a two disc Privilege set of 4,5 and 6. Really long sides, but gutsy sound. :)

Barry
07-12-2011, 23:07
Bach – ‘Goldberg Variations’

Ralph Kirkpatrick – harpsichord.
1959, DGG 439 465-2

Beethoven – ‘Pathétique’ and ‘Moonlight’ Sonatas

Emil Gilels, piano
1989 DGG 400 036-2

Bruckner – Symphony No. 6

Radio-Sinfonie Orchester Frankfurt, cond. Eliahu Inbal.
1989 Teldec 244 182-2

Rachmaninov – ‘Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18’ and ‘Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op.43’

Philip Fowke, piano Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Yuri Temirkanov.
1985 EMI EMX 9509

Shostakovich – ‘Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2’ and ‘Cello Concerto No. 1’

André Previn, piano Yo-Yo Ma, cello, New York Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Leonard Bernstein.
2001 Sony SMK89752

morris_minor
09-12-2011, 09:11
This morning it's various organ pieces by J S Bach - Helmut Walcha at St Laurens Church, Alkmaar (DG Archiv)

Coming up after that Saint Saens Symphonies 1 & 2, Jean Martinon/Orchestra National de l'ORTF (EMI)

MartinT
09-12-2011, 12:21
Coming up after that Saint Saens Symphonies 1 & 2, Jean Martinon/Orchestra National de l'ORTF (EMI)

Now there's a thought: I don't think I've ever heard them, swamped as they are by the 3rd.

morris_minor
09-12-2011, 15:41
How to characterise Haitink?
Clear headed, with a fine ear for dynamic gradations, surging and passionate when the music calls for it, but with genuine tenderness where appropriate.
I like his whole cycle a lot - and it has excellent sound quality, although the re-mastering/transfer for the budget set has resulted in rather too forward/bright a sound, imo.
I'm collecting the original EMI CD issues, superb sound!

All imo, ymmv. :)

Well, my Haitink "London" turned up this morning - visually immaculate but suffering from rice crispies throughout (need to do a wet clean and vacuum on it . . ). This doesn't help the very wide dynamic range, but it is a both a very good recording and performance. Not what I was expecting, really, because the first movement was taken - after the quiet intro - much brisker than I though Haitink would be. As a whole it was a very satisfying and idiomatic performance!

The Tallis Fantasia was good but doesn't displace Barbirolli's Sinfonia of London HMV disc IMO - which for sheer rapt wonder and passion has the field to itself.

However, I'll definitely keep a lookout for more Haitink VW :thumbsup:

morris_minor
09-12-2011, 16:46
Now there's a thought: I don't think I've ever heard them, swamped as they are by the 3rd.

Well, here's the very disc (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASD-2946-MARTINON-Saint-Saens-Symphonies-Nos-1-2-/270869869607?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3f111a3427#ht_1012wt_1254) :)

MartinT
09-12-2011, 17:44
Kerching! On a BIN of £2.50, it would be rude not to. I also spotted a Kleiber Beethoven Symphony No. 5 with the Concertgebouw, hadn't realised he had made a previous recording of the 5th.

Thanks, Bob!

morris_minor
09-12-2011, 17:58
You're welcome. :)

This was the same eBay seller that I got my VW London from, and I was just curiously browsing his other items. I hope your Saint-Saens isn't as crackly as my purchase, though .. ..

MartinT
09-12-2011, 19:41
No worries - my Clearaudio Smart Matrix should be able to handle it.

morris_minor
09-12-2011, 20:01
No worries - my Clearaudio Smart Matrix should be able to handle it.

Oh, I've got one of those as well :cool:

MartinT
09-12-2011, 20:14
Erm, alternative classical Mark?

Reid Malenfant
09-12-2011, 20:17
PMSL... Erm no...That post is about to go the way of the Dodo :o

jandl100
12-12-2011, 07:59
The Tallis Fantasia was good but doesn't displace Barbirolli's Sinfonia of London HMV disc IMO - which for sheer rapt wonder and passion has the field to itself.

Yes, well - as you say, that's a rather unfair comparison!

However, I'll definitely keep a lookout for more Haitink VW :thumbsup:

Yep, it is good.

A friend came 'round yesterday for a few hours listening. He's looking to buy his dad a CD set of the RVW symphonies for Xmas and was wondering which one to get.

We listened to the opening 5 minutes or so of the Sea Symphony from Haitink, Previn and Slatkin.

Haitink came out tops! It sounded magnificent, tbh - beautifully executed, the playing and singing very clear and articulate, and the sq is clean as a whistle and nicely dynamic.
Yep - that may well be my Sea Symphony of choice these days. :)

jandl100
12-12-2011, 08:06
Recent listening ....

Requiem by Ragnar Grippe on a BIS CD. Ha! - a huge amount of fun - classical requiem meets synth bass and pop! :lol: Demonstration class recording, too.

Jonathan Leshnoff - Double concerto for violin and viola on Naxos CD. Lovely modern piece - tonal and approachable, but quite exhilirating. Well worth exploring, imo. :)

morris_minor
12-12-2011, 10:03
Requiem by Ragnar Grippe on a BIS CD. Ha! - a huge amount of fun - classical requiem meets synth bass and pop! :lol: Demonstration class recording, too.

Have just listened to a few excerpts from this on eClassical.com - will definitely put this one on my list :)

I was on the site downloading "Nordic Spell (http://www.eclassical.com/article-classes/article_musicalbum/nordic-spell-concertos-for-flute-and-orchestra.html)" - an excellent title for some atmospheric Scandinavian flute concertos. Just started listening a few moments ago. Thinks - soundtrack to a film of a Jo Nesbo or Henning Mankell novel ? Anyhow, another good BIS recording. [Actually paid for it on Saturday when it was on special offer - £2.88 :cool: ]

MartinT
12-12-2011, 10:13
another good BIS recording

BIS are consistently good, aren't they?

morris_minor
12-12-2011, 11:50
BIS are consistently good, aren't they?

They are indeed. I think of them as a cross between Chandos and Nimbus in both the repertoire and SQ stakes .. ..

jandl100
13-12-2011, 10:10
Yesterday ...

Langgaard - Music of the Spheres on a Chandos CD with Rozhdestvensky. Kind of weird in a Richard Straussian sort of way. Quite enjoyable.

Some Mozart piano sonatas - Jeno Jando on Naxos. Without doubt my fave versions of these sublime works. I have all 5 Naxos CDs. You can hear where Beethoven followed on from with Jando. Very forthright and dynamic. Wonderful playing. :thumbsup: Immediate and dynamic sq, too, which matches the performances.

Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony - Slatkin/RCA CD, from my boxed set of the symphonies.
Hmm. :hmm: Not sure this impresses me so much any more - I may sell the set on. Haitink is so much better. Slatters hoiks the tempo around a bit and exaggerates the dynamic markings, or so it seems to me, presumably to enhance the excitement. Personally I think RVW knew what he was doing with the way he wrote the score!
Massively powerful sound though.
Hmm. :hmm:

jandl100
14-12-2011, 08:47
Yesterday ...

Sibelius piano music on a Naxos CD. A real find - who knew that he wrote such wonderful piano music? Well, OK, you might have done - but I didn't!

Vaughan Williams symphonies 5 & 2 - Slatkin, RCA CDs. Not bad at all, I think I'll be keeping the set after all! :)

Lennox Berkeley string quartets 1-3 on a Naxos CD. I like these, I play them fairly often. Tonal but challenging.

morris_minor
14-12-2011, 11:13
Spinning today (on the server)

Anthony Louis Scarmolin - Symphonies 1-3. This is an HDtracks download - so details here (https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=093228050223).

MartinT
14-12-2011, 11:30
Richard Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra, Ormandy, Philadelphia, EMI [vinyl]

Last night. I don't think I've ever heard it sound better: the visceral energy of the organ, the sheer beauty of the New Philadelphia strings. My absolute favourite recording of this piece, and not as harsh as I once thought (it's a DMM).

http://www.shugarecords.com/images/records/93784c75-0f14-46b5-824e-663a500a5f3c-0.JPG

MartinT
14-12-2011, 19:49

And very nice these two pieces have proven to be, with good EMI sound.

http://www.musicobsession.com/Pictures/j/e/jeanmartinon373408.jpg

morris_minor
14-12-2011, 20:08
And very nice these two pieces have proven to be, with good EMI sound.

http://www.musicobsession.com/Pictures/j/e/jeanmartinon373408.jpg

Glad you like this! :)

Marco
15-12-2011, 15:59
Currently listening to a mint copy of Vaughan Williams 'Sinfonia Antartica', as I write my Christmas cards and sip a nice glass of Drambuie, by our roaring log fire.

The record is on the purple Decca Eclipse label, from 1970, with the London Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra, featuring Margaret Ritchie and Sir John Gielgud, and conducted by Sir Adrian Boult.

It sounds simply gorgeous! The SPU Classic GM E, on the Techy, undoubtedly does classical music just as well as rock, pop and jazz :)

Marco.

morris_minor
15-12-2011, 16:56
Currently listening to a mint copy of Vaughan Williams 'Sinfonia Antartica', as I write my Christmas cards and sip a nice glass of Drambuie, by our roaring log fire.

The record is on the purple Decca Eclipse label, from 1970, with the London Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra, featuring Margaret Ritchie and Sir John Gielgud, and conducted by Sir Adrian Boult.

It sounds simply gorgeous! The SPU Classic GM E, on the Techy, undoubtedly does classical music just as well as rock, pop and jazz :)

Marco.

Sounds idyllic :). The wind machine howling away while you're warmed inside and out . . . .

The Eclipse disc can't have been one of their dreadful reprocessed stereo efforts, though, if it sounds so good :eyebrows:

Marco
15-12-2011, 19:10
Nope, the copy I've got definitely doesn't fall into that category..... Aye, you can't beat the warmth from a real log fire on cold and wintry nights! :)

Incidentally, we'll be down your way on Saturday, visiting Speedy Steve in Bisley, but we're going to pop into Guildford for lunch and to do some shopping.

Where's good to eat, Bob? We'd like to go to a cosy and quaint little olde worlde pub that serves real ales and classic home-made British pub grub, not bloody curries, Chinese or Italian food, like some pubs do... Think home-made soups with thick rustic bread, game pies and ham hocks, local sausages with onion gravy - that type of thing. Any links to relevant websites would be appreciated :cool:

Marco.

morris_minor
15-12-2011, 20:44
A lot of the old pubs have become part of chains now, but the Royal Oak near Pirbright (on the road from Aldershot) should suit you very well and is between Guildford and Bisley.

There's also the White Hart on Pirbight Green.

Hope this helps. :D:D
:cool:

Marco
15-12-2011, 21:16
A lot of the old pubs have become part of chains now...

I know, and it does my head in. Thankfully, here in (largely rural) North Wales, things are different and we still have most of our characterful old pubs. I can't stand chains, as they all serve the same standardised, mass-produced bullshite! :rolleyes:

It's a sign of the times, I guess... Most people now, when eating, seem to prefer quantity to quality; 'cheap and cheerful' is paramount, whereas I'm the exact opposite! I value quality, individuality, and food made from the best local produce.

...the Royal Oak near Pirbright (on the road from Aldershot) should suit you very well and is between Guildford and Bisley.

See here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14758

Great minds think alike! ;)

Anyway, thanks for your help :cool:

Marco.

morris_minor
15-12-2011, 23:10
Great minds think alike! ;)

Anyway, thanks for your help :cool:

Marco.

Must be a good pub, then! :eyebrows:

Enjoy your day!

Bob

Marco
18-12-2011, 14:18
As discussed elsewhere on the thread about my ebony armboard in the DIY room, I purloined 75 superb classical albums in near mint condition, from a little antique shop near Guildford, for a mere £45! :eyebrows:

Here's what I got:

Symphony No2 in E Minor Op 27, with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra/Alfred Wallenstein, on EMI from 1970 - Sergei Rachmaninov

Piano Concerto No21 - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Elvira Madigari. Serenade for strings. Moura Lympany, piano. The Virtuosi of England, conducted by Arthur Davison, on EMI from 1972 - Mozart

Vienna Carnival - Willi Boskovsky conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, on Decca FFRR - Johann & Josef Strauss

Introduction and Allegro Serenade for Strings, Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields, conducted by Neville Marriner, on Decca (Argo) from 1968 - Elgar

Symphony No6 "Pastoral", Prometheus Overture, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, conducted by Ernest Ansermet. on Decca (Ace of Diamonds) from 1960 - Beethoven

Violin Concerto in D, Opus 61, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam with Arthur Grumiaux (soloist), conducted by Sir Colin Davis, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1974 - Beethoven

Symphony No8 in B Minor ('unfinished') D.759, and Symphony No5 in B Flat Major D.485, with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Karl Bohm, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1966 - Shubert

Symphonie Fantastique Op.14 (Episode de la vie d'un artiste), with the Berliner Philharmoniker, conducted by Herbert Von Karajan, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1975 - Hector Berlioz

Symphony No4 in G Major with the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Jascha Horenstein and Margaret Price (soloist) on EMI from 1971 - Mahler

Symphony No1 in C, Symphony No5 in C Minor, Op.67 with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Bruno Walter, on Phillips - Beethoven

Sonata in B Minor. Dante Sonata. Bagatelle without Tonality. Hungarian Rhapsody No.11, Alfred Brendel (piano) on Decca (Turnabout) from 1964 - Liszt

Moments Musicaux, Klavierstucke, Alfred Brendel (piano) on Phillips, from 1972 - Franz Schubert

Variations on an Original Theme ('Enigma') Op.36. Introduction and Allegro for String Orchestra, Op.47, with The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Adrain Boult, on EMI from 1962 - Elgar

Symphony No9 in E Minor, Op.95 "From the New World", with The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1977 - Antonin Dvorak

Piano Concerto No2 in B Flat Major, Opus 83, with The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and Emil Gilels (soloist), conducted by Eugen Jochum, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1972 - Brahms

String Quartet No1 in D Major/String Quartet No2 in F Major/String Quartet in No3 in E Flat Major - The Gabreli Quartet, on Decca (Ace of Diamonds) from 1977 - Tchaikovsky

Symphony No.92 in G Major ("Oxford")/Symphony No.103 in E Flat Major ("Drum Roll"), with The Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Lorin Maazel, on Synchro Concert Hall records from 1970 - Hadyn

Symphony No.5 in C Minor, Op.67/Symphony No.8 in F Major, Op.93, with The Classics Club Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Alois Gruhn, on Classics Club Records - Beethoven

Symphony No.6 in F Major, Op.68 ("Pastoral"), with The Classics Club Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Rudolf Khovak, on Classics Club Records - Beethoven

Symphony No.40, with The Mozarteum Orchestra, conducted by Carlo Pantelli on Chevron Records from 1979 - Mozart

Jupiter Symphony No.41 in C Major, K551/ Prague Symphony No.38 in D Major, K.504, with The Orchestra of the Paris Orchestra, conducted by Carl Schuricht, on Synchro Concert Hall records from 1971 - Mozart

Symphonie Fantastique, Opus 14, with The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Sir Colin Davis, on Phillips from 1963 - Berlioz

Symphony No.5 in C Minor, Opus 67, with The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Karl Bohm, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1970 - Beethoven

Piano Concerto No.5 in E Flat, Opus 73 ('Emperor'), with The Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam and Claudio Arrau (soloist), conducted by Bernard Haitink, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1964 - Beethoven

Violin Concerto in D Major, Opus 77, with The Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam and Henryk Szeryng (soloist), conducted by Bernard Haitink, on Phillips from 1975 - Brahms

Overtures, including 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', Opus 21, with The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Gabriel Chmura, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1977 - Mendelssohn

Symphonies 5 & 8, with L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, conducted by Ernest Ansermet, on Decca from 1965 - Beethoven

Johann Strauss Concert, with The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Willi Boskovsky, on Decca FFRR from 1958 - Strauss

Oboe Concerto in A Minor/Oboe Concerto in D Minor/Oboe Concerto in B Flat Major/Oboe Concerto in D Major, with Sydney Sutcliffe and The Virtuosi of England, conducted by Arthur Davison, on EMI from 1971 - Vivaldi and Albinoni

Piano Recital, including 'Minute' Waltz, 'Revolutionary' Study, with Tamas Vasary (soloist), on Deutsche Grammophon from 1976 - Chopin

Brandenburg Concertos, No.1 in F Major/No.2 in F Major/No.3 in G Major, with The Virtuosi of England, conducted by Arthur Davison, on EMI from 1972 - J.S Bach

Symphony No9 in C Major, with The SDR Symphony Orchestra, Stuttgart, conducted by Carl Schuricht, on Synchro Concert Hall records - Schubert

Die Schone Mullerin D.795/La Belle Meuniere D.795, with Gerald Moore (piano), conducted by Dietrich Fischer-DiesKau, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1972 - Schubert

Fantasy in F Minor, Divertissement a la hongroise, with Bella Davidovitch, Yakov Zak (Piano Duet), on Melodiya Records from 1971 - Schubert

Piano Concerto No.5 in E Flat, Op.73 ("The Emperor"), with John Lill (piano) and The Scottish National Orchestra, conducted by Alexander Gibson, on EMI from 1974 - Beethoven

Semprini plays Liszt, with The New Abbey Light Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Vilem Tausky, on EMI (Studio 2 Stereo), from 1970 - Liszt

Symphony No.3 in C Major/Symphony No.4 in A Minor, with The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Anthony Collins, on Decca (Eclipse, purple) from 1971 - Sibelius

Symphony No.3 "Organ", with Gaston Litaize (organ) and The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Daniel Barenboim, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1976 - Camille Saint-Saens

Excerpts from Tannhauser and Die Meistersinger Von Nurnberg, with The Vienna Philharmonic/Vienna State Opera Chorus, conducted by Sir Georg Solti, on Decca FFSS from 1979 - Wagner

The Mastersingers of Nuremberg. Overture to Act 1: Overture to Act III: Dance of the Apprentices: Entrance of The Mastersingers. The Flying Dutchman Overture. The Twilight of the Gods - Dawn and Siegfried's journey to the Rhine. Lohengrin Overture to Act III, with the London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Antal Dorati, and The Detroit Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Paul Paray, on Fontana Special from 1962 - Wagner

Symphonie pour Orgue No.10 "Romane", conducted by Pierre Cochereau, Aux grandes orgues de Notre-Dame de Paris, on Phillips - Charles-Marie Widor

Le Sacre du Printemps, with the Berliner Philharmoniker. directed by Herbert Von Karajan, on Deutsche Grammophon - Igor Strawinsky

Romeo and Juliet, Francesca da Rimini. Munch: Boston Symphony, on RCA Victrola from 1967 - Tchaikovsky

1812 Festival Overture, Op.49 (Original Scoring), Capriccio Italien, Op.45, with Antal Dorati conducting the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, on Mercury Olympian records (in Mono) - Tchaikovsky

Classical Symphony in C, with The Bernstein New York Philharmonic, on CBS from 1981 - Prokofiev/Bizet

Fifth Symphony, with The Paris Conservatoire Orchestra, condicted by Carl Schuricht, on Decca (Ace of clubs) - Beethoven

Symphony No.94 in G ("surprise")/Symphony 101 in D ("clock"), with Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Pierre Monteaux, on Decca Eclipse (purple) from 1961 - Hadyn

Orchestral music from "Lohengrin", "Die Walkure", "Die Meistersinger" and "Tannhauser", with The Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Ormandy, on Phillips - Wagner

Beethoven Sonatas: Pathetique/Appassionata/Moonlight, with Daniel Barenboim (pianoforte), on EMI (His Master's Voice - Mono) from 1967 - Beethoven

Symphony NR.2 in D Major Op.36, with The Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Kurt Sanderling, on Helidor - Beethoven

A Recital of Bach Arias by Kathleen Ferrier (contralto) with Sir Adrian Boult conducting The London Philharmonic Orchestra, on 10" Decca FFRR - Bach

A Recital of Handel Arias by Kathleen Ferrier (contralto) with Sir Adrian Boult conducting The London Philharmonic Orchestra, on 10" Decca FFRR - Handel

The Sleeping Beauty, Ballet Suite, Opus 66, with Roger Desormiere conducting L'Orchestre de la Societe des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris, 10" Decca FFRR - Tchaikovsky

Marco.

morris_minor
18-12-2011, 14:22
Nice haul Marco! :)

If it isn't a trade secret, which little shop was selling these? :rolleyes:

Marco
18-12-2011, 14:28
There's MUCH more to come - lol! I know very little about what's good to have or not in classical music, so is some of the stuff I got not bad? :)

I'm not sure what it was called. Speedy Steve will know... It was a little antiques shop, on the right, on the way from Bisley to Guildford - is it the A3222, or something?

You can't miss it. If you go, there's still plenty of vinyl there in the back shop :cool:

Marco.

morris_minor
18-12-2011, 14:36
I think I know it - at Worplesdon (http://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/2282748-perryhill-antiques-guildford). Will have to have a nose round.

Thanks Marco. :cool:

Marco
18-12-2011, 14:49
Perryhill - that's the one, matey! Hope you find some good gear there :cool:

What do make of some of the stuff I've manage to 'purloin'? Any stand-outs you can see? :)

Marco.

morris_minor
18-12-2011, 18:19
These would be my picks, Marco, but obviously YMMV :eyebrows:

The Suisse Romande and the Decca Eclipse issues should be good, and the Cochereau organ too; I've an ASV issue of Cochereau improvisations which are monumental!

The Marriner/Elgar is typically stylish ASMF fare, and Boult's Enigma is self recommending.

Happy listening :)

Introduction and Allegro Serenade for Strings, Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields, conducted by Neville Marriner, on Decca (Argo) from 1968 - Elgar

Symphony No6 "Pastoral", Prometheus Overture, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, conducted by Ernest Ansermet. on Decca (Ace of Diamonds) from 1960 - Beethoven

Variations on an Original Theme ('Enigma') Op.36. Introduction and Allegro for String Orchestra, Op.47, with The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Adrain Boult, on EMI from 1962 - Elgar

Symphonie Fantastique, Opus 14, with The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Sir Colin Davis, on Phillips from 1963 - Berlioz

Symphonies 5 & 8, with L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, conducted by Ernest Ansermet, on Decca from 1965 - Beethoven

Symphony No.3 in C Major/Symphony No.4 in A Minor, with The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Anthony Collins, on Decca (Eclipse, purple) from 1971 - Sibelius

Symphony No.3 "Organ", with Gaston Litaize (organ) and The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Daniel Barenboim, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1976 - Camille Saint-Saens

Symphonie pour Orgue No.10 "Romane", conducted by Pierre Cochereau, Aux grandes orgues de Notre-Dame de Paris, on Phillips - Charles-Marie Widor

1812 Festival Overture, Op.49 (Original Scoring), Capriccio Italien, Op.45, with Antal Dorati conducting the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, on Mercury Olympian records (in Mono) - Tchaikovsky

Symphony No.94 in G ("surprise")/Symphony 101 in D ("clock"), with Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Pierre Monteaux, on Decca Eclipse (purple) from 1961 - Hadyn

Marco
18-12-2011, 18:29
Okies, I'll check those out first... Not bad, eh, for £45? And I've got about another dozen still to list! :eyebrows:

Now all I need to do is clean the fuckers on the RCM! :doh: :eek:

Marco.

MartinT
18-12-2011, 19:09
Some good ones there, Marco, and a great haul overall.

I'd love to hear the Rite of Spring, Widor's 10th, the Beethoven Violin Concerto and the Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto in particular.

WOStantonCS100
18-12-2011, 19:30
:stalks: Did I hear someone yell,

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!!!

WOStantonCS100
18-12-2011, 19:32
From my wife's collection... which has been absorbed in to my collection. ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61gkkXaLNhL._SS500_.jpg

Marco
18-12-2011, 20:24
Some good ones there, Marco, and a great haul overall.

I'd love to hear the Rite of Spring, Widor's 10th, the Beethoven Violin Concerto and the Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto in particular.

No worries... I'll bring those with me next time I come down :)

Incidentally, the last ones to list from the lot I bought yesterday are a dozen 12-page magazines, plus 10" records from the mid to late 60s, of the world's 20 greatest composers and their music, shown here:

http://treesureisland.co.uk/acatalog/great_composers.html This type of thing:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7994/cl001.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/cl001.gif/)

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2952/cl067.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/cl067.gif/)

These are in virtually 'as new' condition, and quite wonderful things, beautifully illustrated and presented, and containing some of the most superbly recorded classical music I've ever heard, all on minty super-heavyweight vinyl! :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
19-12-2011, 07:49
Recent listening Chez-J ...

Philip Glass - Satyagraha. An opera. A modern one, very much so! ;)
I have little patience with standard opera but this is fab and quite unusual. It's in Sanskrit, and the verses are adapted from the Bhagavad-Gita. :eyebrows:
Go on, have a listen to some of it ...
wU7HcvfpMzQ
Hmm .. the YT embedding doesn't seem to be working. :scratch: Try this ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU7HcvfpMzQ

BAX - Tintagel (tone poem) & 7th Symphony on a Naxos CD. Tintagel is wonderful - a "La Mer"-ian seascape of great power. The symphony is a bit more problematic for me, and will require yet more listening, I think.

Fernando Sor - songs for voice & lute. Sung by the gorgeous Montserrat Figueras on an Astree CD. Yummy.

morris_minor
19-12-2011, 08:58
Ah, Philip Glass . . .

I do like Koyaanisqatsi: haven't got the t-shirt, but do have it on DVD-A, CD, LP and DVD video. The film that launched a thousand visual advertising cliches :lol:

Last night was a Malcolm Arnold night:

The stunning Reference Recordings album of Arnold conducting his own overtures (HDTracks hi-res download)

Tod Handley's Grand Grand Overture on Conifer, with virtuoso vacuum cleaners

Concerto for Harmonica with Larry Adler on RCA (needledrop download (http://themusicparlour.blogspot.com/2011/03/larry-adler-rpo-morton-gould-harmonica.html))

MartinT
19-12-2011, 09:19
If you like Philip Glass, do listen to the 1st Violin Concerto. It's mesmerising, and I was lucky enough to see it live last year and hear Glass speak before the performance.

kJoClZ7JosM

morris_minor
19-12-2011, 09:40
If you like Philip Glass, do listen to the 1st Violin Concerto. It's mesmerising, and I was lucky enough to see it live last year and hear Glass speak before the performance.

Will do! :)

JJack
20-12-2011, 15:59
Sibelius 4 on London LP - perhaps the best sounding LP I own - WOW.

Then #5 on LSO Live cd.

I'm embarassed that I'm "discovering" Sibelius after decades of listening to music.

WOStantonCS100
20-12-2011, 23:04
I'm embarassed that I'm "discovering" Sibelius after decades of listening to music.

I only beat you by about 5 months. :o

MartinT
21-12-2011, 06:36
I'm afraid to admit that Sibelius has always been a bit of a blind spot for me. Must do better in 2012.

jandl100
21-12-2011, 08:01
So many folks not, or only recently, into Sibelius. :scratch:
But it's wonderful!

Here's a tip - get to know the Sibelius violin concerto on any recording except one - then buy the version with Christian Ferras and HvKarajan and hear how it should be played!

But where to start with Sibelius? ... the tone poems probably, if you are new to the composer. Gibson, Karajan, Saraste, Ashkenazy ... so many excellent performances.
Then have a go with the symphonies ... 2 & 5 are probably the places to start. Then get into the more "serious" works ... 4, 6 & 7.

So much superb music to explore! :eek:

jandl100
21-12-2011, 08:10
Recent spinning things ...

Elgar 2nd symphony - Solti - Decca LP.
Mozart Concerto for Flute & Harp. Bennet, Ellis, Leppard on ASV LP.
Brahms 2nd symphony - Jochum EMI LP. Wonderful performance - taut and exciting! Might fine sq, too.
Malipiero orchestral pieces - Naxos CD conducted by the wonderful Peter Maag. Malipiero was an Italian contempory of Respighi - his music is really tuneful and accessible. I've ordered another CD, this time of some symphonies. :)

Marco
21-12-2011, 20:21
Just been listening to (all on minty vinyl), whilst sipping a glass of vintage Armagnac and devouring some of Del's home-made Crème Brûlée... Man, I LOVE Christmas! :eyebrows: :cheers:

Ninth Symphony in D Minor, Opus 125, 'The Choral', with The Leipzig Philhamonic Orchestra and the Cathedral Choir (augmented), accompanied by soloists Greta Schumann, Hanni Meltke, Emil Wolf and Friedl Hauptmann, and conducted by Hannes Ulrich Berchteld, on Lyrique Records from 1966 - Beethoven.

Symphony No.5, with The Cinicinatti Pro Arte Philharmonic, conducted by Cesar Duhamel, on Lyrique Records from 1967 - Tchaikovsky.

'A Night on the Bare Mountain', with The Philharmonia Orchestra and Sorotchinsky Fair, Khovantschina and others, conducted by Walter Susskind, on EMI from 1969 - Moussorgsky.

Sonata in B Minor, Opus 58, Ten Mazurkas with (pianist) Fou Ts'ong, on The World Record Club label from 1966 - Chopin.

'Scheherazade' Symphonic Suite, with The Leningrad Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ivan Vrotoshoff, on Lyrique Records from 1968 - Rimsky Korsakov.

Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op.16, Moura Lympany, with The Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted by Herbert Menges - Grieg. Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op.54, Moura Lympany, with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Constantin Silvestri - Schumann., on EMI from 1969.

Marco.

Marco
21-12-2011, 22:58
Still in Classical mode (all on mint vinyl).....

Symphony No.6 "Pastorale", with The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Eugen Jochum, on Heliodor Records from 1965 - Beethoven.

'Carmen', concert performance sung in French, with Franca Sacchi, Eddie Rhul, Antonio Boyer, Alberta Hopkins, Chorus and Orchestra of the Teatro Communale, Firenze, conducted by Erasmo Ghili, on Saga Records from 1966 - Bizet.

Favourite Choruses and Arias from Handel's 'Messiah', with The London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir, conducted by Douglas Gamley, on Damont Records from 1972 - Handel.

Marco.

morris_minor
22-12-2011, 00:29
Still in Classical mode (all on mint vinyl).....

Favourite Choruses and Arias from Handel's 'Messiah', with The London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir, conducted by Douglas Gamley, on Damont Records from 1972 - Handel.

Is this a "Stereo Gold Award" LP ? These were one of the first budget labels. I remember buying an 1812 and New World from Woolworth's for 49 pence in the early 70s. :)

Marco
22-12-2011, 00:37
Yes it is! That one cost me feck all, as it was amongst 250 albums I got for free, which were left in the garage by the previous occupant of the house my parents have just bought in Wrexham :)

Sounds fine for a budget label... The early 70s were before my record buying days, Pinky & Perky aside! ;)

Marco.

jandl100
22-12-2011, 07:21
Yesterday ....

Rawsthorne - cello concerto, orchestral variations, sting quartets & duo for 2 violins 1, 2 & 3. All on Naxos CDs. Interesting stuff and surprisingly accessible (he has a reputation for being 'difficult'.)

Bax - Tintagel & 7th symphony (again) on Naxos CD

morris_minor
22-12-2011, 09:35
Yes it is! That one cost me feck all, as it was amongst 250 albums I got for free, which were left in the garage by the previous occupant of the house my parents have just bought in Wrexham :)

Sounds fine for a budget label... The early 70s were before my record buying days, Pinky & Perky aside! ;)

Marco.

I've seen some of these Damont discs going for a BIN of £5 or more on fleabay. I needledropped mine a few months ago - bit crackly - even after a couple of washes, and a somewhat dubious acoustic but good to listen to. :)

Marco
22-12-2011, 10:18
£5? Lol, that's mad!

Mine's minty, though. I'm extremely particular about the used records I buy. I'll only buy them if they're a little dirty or dusty, so that once I run them through the RCM, they come up like brand new... Scratches and scuffs are strictly a no-go!

An RCM really is an invaluable (I would say essential) tool, if like me, you're an avid buyer of used vinyl :)

Marco.

morris_minor
22-12-2011, 10:21
An RCM really is an invaluable (I would say essential) tool, if like me, you're an avid buyer of used vinyl :)

Marco.

Couldn't agree more!

Marco
22-12-2011, 10:47
Nice one... Have you popped into that antiques shop yet? If not, I'd get there ASAP, as word will be out now and the place will be getting emptied! ;)

Marco.

morris_minor
22-12-2011, 11:44
No, not yet. Maybe after Crimbo. I have to use a wheelchair (but do have an adapted car I drive my chair into from the back - for someone else to drive). Will need to phone the shop to see what access is like . . :rolleyes:

Marco
22-12-2011, 13:26
Hi Bob, ah, sorry to hear that... Knowing what the shop is like, it could be difficult. The owner, however, was very friendly, so I'm sure he will help you as best as he can :)

Marco.

morris_minor
22-12-2011, 13:51
Cheers Marco. I'll give the guy a call and see what's what. Or I can send the Missus out on a recce. :eyebrows:

morris_minor
22-12-2011, 16:49
Recently listened -

Glinka - Ruslan and Ludmilla Overture - Chicago SO/Solti (RCA LIving Stereo)
Janacek - Sinfonietta - Abbado/LSO (Decca)
Moeran - Symphony in G Minor - Dilkes/English Sinfonia (EMI)

jandl100
23-12-2011, 09:23
Recent listening ...

Malipiero - Sea Symphony. It's that Italian bloke again - they get everywhere! :eyebrows:. On a Naxos CD. You know, I'm getting quite enamoured with this guy. I've just now ordered a 2 CD set of his string quartets on ASV. :)

Sergio Rendine - Passio et Resurrectio. Another bloody Italian! :doh: - born 1954. And another Naxos CD.
Mmm ... this is a strange one. A big work with "soloists, speakers, percussion, chorus and orchestra". Great fun, very unusual and a very good recording. I think this is gonna grow on me. :)

morris_minor
23-12-2011, 11:03
Am having a Neville Marriner/ASMF morning:

Vaughan Williams - Tallis/Greensleeves/Lark/5 Variants
Vivaldi - 4 Seasons

(Both on Argo LP)

royzak
23-12-2011, 20:50
Berlioz - Les Nuits d'ete..The wonderful Janet Baker with glorious John Barbirolli.

MartinT
23-12-2011, 21:39
Berlioz - Les Nuits d'ete

I have a rather wonderful recording of this by Jessye Norman.

WOStantonCS100
24-12-2011, 04:26
I found this at the local library while the kids looked for books. I decided to give it a go.

Elmer Bernstein: Concerto for Guitar
Christopher Parkening, guitar
London Symphony Orchestra

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/05/e4/fcb0024128a0cb24e30d5010.L.jpg

royzak
24-12-2011, 07:40
I have a rather wonderful recording of this by Jessye Norman.

Don't know this one,will give it a go,the other version I have enjoyed is Regine Crespin with Ansermet.

royzak
24-12-2011, 14:14
Mahler/Zemlinsky Lieder - Anne Sofie von Otter,Gardiner.
Great music and performance to keep me going till Tosca comes on BBC2.

JJack
27-12-2011, 02:05
Am having a Neville Marriner/ASMF morning:

Vaughan Williams - Tallis/Greensleeves/Lark/5 Variants
Vivaldi - 4 Seasons

(Both on Argo LP)

The Vaughan Williams Tallis and Greensleeves is my standard Christmas fare, although I play the Bernstein version.

Just had the Munch La Mer on today.

Have to admit I'm in a bit of a funk about my vinyl: I have something negative going on somewhere in the chain; it's just not sounding right.

morris_minor
27-12-2011, 08:50
Have to admit I'm in a bit of a funk about my vinyl: I have something negative going on somewhere in the chain; it's just not sounding right.

Nothing worse than a niggling feeling that something's not quite right :(. I hope you sort it ...

MartinT
27-12-2011, 12:07

There's nothing worse. It's usually a case of back-tracking and undoing something you did as an 'improvement'. Carefully putting it back to the way it was often works.

Marco
27-12-2011, 17:59
Today we were in Shrewsbury doing some shopping, so I popped into one of the charity shops and picked up this lot for £15.00 (all minty vinyl):

Bach and Liszt Organ Recital - Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Liszt: Prelude and Fugue in G minor, on the name of Bach. Bach: Chorale Prelude: Ich ruf 'zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ. Bach: Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, with Karl Richter at the organ of the Victoria Hall, Geneva, on Decca ffrr from 1958 - Bach/Liszt.

Das Lied von der Erde, with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone), Murray Dickie (tenor) and the Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted by Paul Kletzki, on EMI records from 1960 - Mahler.

Octet in F Major, D.803, Chilingirian Quartet, with Andrew Marriner (Clarinet), Thomas Martin (Double Bass), Felix Warnock (Bassoon), Jonathan Williams (Horn), on EMI from 1987 - Schubert.

Flute Concertos, Op.10, Nos. 1-6, with English Chamber Orchestra and William Bennett (Flute), directed by George Malcolm (Harpsichord), on EMI from 1986 - Vivaldi.

Symphony No5 in C Minor, Op.67/Egmont Overture, Op.84, with The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Josef Krips, on World Record Club records from 1959 - Beethoven.

Symphony No.1 in D major, with The Boston Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Seiji Ozawa, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1977 - Mahler.

Symphony No.4 in F Minor, with The Berlin Philharmonic, conducted by Herbert Von Karajan, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1967 - Tschaikowsky.

Symphony No.5 E-Moll Op.64, with The Berliner Philharmoniker, conducted by Herbert Von Karajan, on Deutsche Grammophon from 1967 - Tschaikowsky.

Piano Concerto No.1, Concert Fantasia in G Major, with Peter Katin (pianist) and The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Edric Kundell and The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Adrian Boult, on Decca from 1971 - Tschaikowsky.

The Ride of the Valkyries, Tannhauser - Overture and Venusberg Music. The Flying Dutchman - Overture, with The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Hans Knapperbusch, on Decca Eclipse from 1972 - Wagner.

Bizet, Jeux d'enfants. Ibert, Divertissement. Saint-Saens, Danse Macabre - Le Rouet d'Omphale, with The Paris Conservatoire Orchestra, conducted by Jean Martinon, on Decca Eclipse from 1960 - Bizet/Ibert/Saint-Saens.

Enigma Variations - Introduction & Allegro for Strings, with The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Adrian Boult, on EMI from 1962 - Elgar.

The Four Seasons - The Stuttgart Soloists, conducted by Marcel Couraud, with Astorre Farrari (violin), on Fontana Special from 1962 - Vivaldi.

Ballet Suites, with The New Symphony Orchestra of London, conducted by Robert Irving, on Decca (Ace of Clubs) from 1966 - Gluck/Gretry.

Clarinet Concerto in A major, with Gervase de Peyer (clarinet). Bassoon Concerto in B flat major, with Henri Helaerts (bassoon), and The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Anthony Collins, on Decca Eclipse from 1970 - Mozart.

Piano Concerto No.17 in G/Piano Concerto No.21 in C, with Andor Foldes (piano) and The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Fritz Lehmann and (Concerto No.21) Paul Schmitz, on Contour Records from 1958 - Mozart.

Anything particularly worthy in that lot then, chaps? :cool:

Marco.

JJack
27-12-2011, 19:57
Wow, Marco, quite a haul, wonderful performances all around!

morris_minor
27-12-2011, 20:17
Enigma Variations - Introduction & Allegro for Strings, with The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Adrian Boult, on EMI from 1962 - Elgar.

Didn't you get this one on your Surrey trip, Marco? :stalks:

:)

Marco
27-12-2011, 20:51
Thanks, Jack - I agree! :)

From the Surrey trip:

Looks like you're right, Bob, but that's no bad thing, especially considering what I paid for them... Anyway, it's not a bad 'doubler' to have, and one pressing might sound better than the other! ;)

Marco.