PDA

View Full Version : Should I or Shouldn't I ???

LittleTone
05-09-2011, 12:18
Hi Guys,

Currently using SB Touch into Beresford DAC into Audiolab 8000S to Mission 753 Freedom speakers.
I tempted to purchase a Temple Audio Bantam Gold.
Any opinion guys as to the benefit ; if any.

Skeptical
Tony

YNWaN
05-09-2011, 14:03
I am tempted to purchase a Temple Audio Bantam Gold.

Why are you tempted?

LittleTone
05-09-2011, 17:33
Their web page and testimonials sound quite convincing. The manufacturer has advised that it will be more dynamic than a 80w per channel amp !!! I only need one input and the size and price is attractive. Unfortunately I have no experience of this type of amp. Just looking for feedback from those who have. I've grown up, that's about 45 years, mainly with transistor amps of all sorts and the belief that bigger (power wise) along with quality of course, is better.
Regards
Tony

Ali Tait
05-09-2011, 17:40
I have two and IMHO they are very good indeed. They do like speakers with an easy load though.

DSJR
05-09-2011, 17:44
8000S into 753 freedoms? Hmmmm.....

The 8000S isn't the gentlest of presentations either pre or post Tag I feel, but, and I think Alex_UK will bear this out as he's struggling with one at present with some success, that if you get the cabling right (no silver plated anything and excellent as I know them to be, the Mark grant HD1000 cables are too much of a good thing), the 8000S can still do a good job - even better if you can find a matching 8000PX from the old UK made series and bi-amp instead.

As for 753's, the further away from them you get, the better :eyebrows:

My recommendation, for the little it's worth, would be to sell the Missions and get something better - the likes of B&W CDM-7's for something that sort of shape, or, I dunno, some Rogers LS7's or similar. You can even get Naim SBL's for several hundred quid and they can sound good in passive form if properly driven - and not necessarily with vintage Naim electronics either ;)

Unless there's something drastic happened with these little amps you're interested in, you're going to need far more powerful I think...

Welder
06-09-2011, 13:55
Go on Anthony, give it a shot.
If the Audiolab can do it I reckon the Bantam might as well, and sound a great deal better providing it doesn't run out of steam.
The T and D class amps I've heard I've been very impressed with overall; its just a matter of having enough headroom. They are far more efficient than B class amps and as you write, they have had a rather good press overall.
I doubt you'll have any trouble moving it on if it doesn't work out and the only way you'll ever know is by giving it a shot.

Speaking of steam, forgive Dave coz steam is about his generation. If it don't puff out smoke, wasn't used by the BBC, doesn't run hot and tinkle a bit, then it ain't working ;)
Oh err, i think i may be older than Dave :eek:

I'll get my coat :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
06-09-2011, 14:36
If budget allows, go for the monoblocks. Should be plenty power there for your speakers.

LittleTone
08-09-2011, 19:01
Settled for a Rega Brio R
Well Happy

Tony

DSJR
08-09-2011, 21:47
Speaking of steam, forgive Dave coz steam is about his generation. If it don't puff out smoke, wasn't used by the BBC, doesn't run hot and tinkle a bit, then it ain't working ;)
Oh err, i think i may be older than Dave :eek:

I'll get my coat :eyebrows:

Bloody cheek :D

Grade 1 listed too, some of it........ :eek:

P.S. The Brio R ia a really great little belter of an amp and really gives the emotion in the music without resorting to compression artifacts or old fashioned steam-driven Class A stodge :lol: I'm sure the little bantams are great though and they are extremely cheap...

Alex_UK
08-09-2011, 21:50
Settled for a Rega Brio R
Well Happy

Tony

Look forward to hearing what you think of it, Tony - and if it lives up to the hype. :)