PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Fidelity Brush with RCM.

Audioman
03-09-2011, 09:07
I just aquired this brush initialy for seperate use with L'art du Son and my Okki Nokki. Idea to keep Okki Nokki brush for use with the standard fluid.

Played my 4U/3U Tea For The Tillerman in anticipation of the arrival of the new Quality Records pressing. Suprisingly noisy with the ATOC9 so ran through my RCM with standard brush. Big improvement but still intrusive noise on side 2. Decided to try another clean this time using the Mo-Fi brush again with Okki Nokki fluid. Great result and a significant furthur reduction in crackles and pops. Now have a practicaly mint playing copy.

The Mo-fi brush has very fine fibres and must get where a courser brush can't. Very heavy so you just rest on record while turning and hold in place. A very nice and effective product obtainable for under £16. I am going to order another one of these to avoid cross contamination using different fluids.

colinB
03-09-2011, 09:40
I was looking at that brush and wondering if it would work with my okki.
I cleaned a new pressing of love forever changes the other day using okki brush and russ andrews revive and i have more crackles than i had to begin with.
I like the look of their cleaning fluids to.

colinB
03-09-2011, 09:53
I might add their record pressings are also good. Just bought Echo and the Bunnymen heaven up there from their silver series. Its not heavy weight vinyl like their expensive line but their was still no noise whatsoever .
I dare not clean it just in case i mess it up.

Audioman
03-09-2011, 13:41
I think the Russ Andrews revive may be partly the problem. I have never made a record noisier with the Okki Nokki fluid and the supplied brush. Just think fine cleaning with the MFSL brush takes it a stage furthur. I have not tried the MFSL fluids so can't comment on those.

topoxforddoc
03-09-2011, 13:44
Paul,

It may not be the type of brush. If you have a particularly dirty pressing, then one clean cycle may not be enough. I've occasionally had to clean a record twice before I'm happy - just using the standard brush on my Moth.

keiths
03-09-2011, 13:45
I'm a big fan of the KAB DiscSweep brush when used on my Moth RCM. Only about £15 delivered from http://www.kabusa.com. The goat hair and 'thunderon' bristles really do a good job.

Audioman
03-09-2011, 13:53
Paul,

It may not be the type of brush. If you have a particularly dirty pressing, then one clean cycle may not be enough. I've occasionally had to clean a record twice before I'm happy - just using the standard brush on my Moth.

It probably is in this case because the pressing in question was visualy spotless having been cleaned previously with Disco Antistat and purified water rinse. It was a very clean record to start with purchased of ebay a few years ago and not covered in layers of gunge or anything.

sq225917
03-09-2011, 17:18
The Mofi brush is good because it has a large surface area so really sucks muck up out of the grooves due to the much higher surface tension it creates. Think of the flat underside of F1 cars and you are thinking along the right lines.

More than anything else thought what really makes the difference is leaving the record wet for as long as possible, the longer you leave it wet the cleaner they get.

If anyone fancies making a larger flat brush I have some very fine knap 3M pressure adhesive backed velour sheet, makes a great brush from a block of wood if you round the corners off. I've used it to replace all the 'brush' bits on my Okki Nokkia and 3 old Clearaudio brushes that i've owned for ages. A damn site cheaper than the £15 my replacement mofi 'brush fabric' cost.

Canetoad
03-09-2011, 18:42
I'm a big fan of the KAB DiscSweep brush when used on my Moth RCM. Only about £15 delivered from http://www.kabusa.com. The goat hair and 'thunderon' bristles really do a good job.

I use this as well and it works very well. :)

colinB
03-09-2011, 19:40
I do wonder if the crackle i get on new vinyl after cleaning is static.

Audioman
03-09-2011, 20:38
I do wonder if the crackle i get on new vinyl after cleaning is static.

Wet cleaning greatly reduces and even gets rid of static. You should get the record realy wet and not continue vacuming once the record is visualy dry. About two revs is sufficient.