PDA

View Full Version : To clamp or not with Achromat? That is the question...

GeorgeO
03-09-2011, 02:52
I'm ordering an Achromat 5mm mat for my Techie SL-1100A (basically an SL-110 with a factory arm), which I've recently modded with a Jelco 750D and DL103SA. The Needle Doctor here in the States has a 10% off sale this weekend on most everything, so that's a pretty good incentive.

For those of you who have used the Achromat, do you prefer a clamp or weight, and if so, which brand or style do you prefer? Any tips on setup?

Thanks!

DSJR
03-09-2011, 07:21
IMO, the most important thing with an SL110/1100 is the isolation of the turntable, 'cos it feeds back terribly in stock form (I owned one for a year or more and remember it very well :)). Get this aspect right and only then should you faff about with weights or clamps. It's a very different animal to the current 12**mk2-5 - I said "different," not "worse" by the way - and just needs to be treated slightly differently.

Good luck with your experiments :)

colinB
03-09-2011, 09:44
Make sure you stick it down with double sided sticky tape to get it flat. Some guys here use silica grease.
Im not sure i see a difference with a clamp using the funk mat but it is noticable on warps.

Themis
03-09-2011, 09:50
I guess what Dave (DSJR) says, is that if your deck is not suitably isolated, then a clamp/weight will actually makes things worse... But, I guess you know that. :o