PDA

View Full Version : With my next pay packet i think ill and buy a pair of Quad ESL 57's

dantheman91
02-09-2011, 17:01
Hi

i can buy a pair for £200 in reasonable condition with a slight hole in the mesh on the front. my dads best mate who is a vivid hi-fi collector and it pains me to say it there in his garage with a load of other gear all coverd up thank god. if he can find the leads to power them they will be mine i think quite a bargin. i'll get them to try them out.

i'll still use the rogers though as will never replace them
Dan

:cool:

Jonboy
02-09-2011, 17:30
Hi

i can buy a pair for £200 in reasonable condition with a slight hole in the mesh on the front. my dads best mate who is a vivid hi-fi collector and it pains me to say it there in his garage with a load of other gear all coverd up thank god. if he can find the leads to power them they will be mine i think quite a bargin. i'll get them to try them out.

i'll still use the rogers though as will never replace them
Dan

:cool:

Very nice Dan, make sure you bring them indoors to acclimatise them before you power them up and preferably they want bringing up on a variac if they havn't been used for a while, very rewarding with enough space around them as you probably know, one other thing they should be left on 24/7 for best results, not trying to teach you to suck egss or nothing ;):)

Rare Bird
02-09-2011, 17:31
vivid hi-fi collector! :D

However nice one Dan

dantheman91
02-09-2011, 18:01
vivid hi-fi collector! :D

However nice one Dan

you should see some of his stuff i want his flat its full of gear :stalks: including a pair of tannoy canterburys they sound gorgeous.
cadence valve amp mono blocks and countless other gear

Dan

dantheman91
02-09-2011, 18:03
Very nice Dan, make sure you bring them indoors to acclimatise them before you power them up and preferably they want bringing up on a variac if they havn't been used for a while, very rewarding with enough space around them as you probably know, one other thing they should be left on 24/7 for best results, not trying to teach you to suck egss or nothing ;):)

Thanks mate i cant wait but got to wait a month doh

Dan

DSJR
02-09-2011, 18:23
Good luck with the 57's. They transformed the speaker market when they first arrived and a good fettled pair can still do the same with most modern far-eastern made speakers (well, most speakers available and sold in the UK are almost certainly made in the far east :rolleyes:)

With their own limiters in, they can be safely used with a huge range of decent quality stable amps I think...

Stratmangler
02-09-2011, 18:32
you should see some of his stuff i want his flat its full of gear :stalks: including a pair of tannoy canterburys they sound gorgeous.
cadence valve amp mono blocks and countless other gear

Dan

He does indeed sound like an avid collector of classic audio components :)

dantheman91
02-09-2011, 19:52

Hi

yes i can say im jealous :steam: hmm not to mention 2 garages full damn all that gear

Dan

Wilbur
05-10-2011, 16:34
Did you get them....we jus' gotta know :)

Marco
05-10-2011, 17:52

Indeed - avid, rather than vivid... ;)

Nice one, Dan - enjoy (when you get them)! :cool:

Marco.

dantheman91
05-10-2011, 21:07
Friday lads

dantheman91
30-11-2011, 20:09
Right went for a demo today and one plays perfect but one is very quite oh dear.

Wilbur
02-12-2011, 14:56
Plenty pairs about,dont jump in!
Was it powered up....just a thought....

dantheman91
06-12-2011, 10:51
Yeah all was connected do you think there worth a punt in this condition. how much do you think the treble and bass unit would be?

spendorman
06-12-2011, 11:33
Could be just the HT block faulty

dowser
10-12-2011, 11:52
EHT rebuild needed by the sounds of it, only by stripping them will you know whether the panels are OK.

Richard

TBL
16-12-2011, 10:46
You can get a good fully working pair in nice condition for £300, in fact there's a pair on ebay at the moment which look pretty good and not a million miles from you. Those or a knackered pair for £200, I know which I would choose.

Rare Bird
17-12-2011, 12:51
Could be just the HT block faulty

I don't know who repairs those pannels now...If there's an HT problem it's probably a fault on one of the pannels caused it.

spendorman
17-12-2011, 13:14
I don't know who repairs those pannels now...If there's an HT problem it's probably a fault on one of the pannels caused it.

Possibly, but the old HT blocks can just go low output, I have had that

Ali Tait
17-12-2011, 16:39

http://www.classiquesounds.co.uk/quad_esl.htm

dowser
19-12-2011, 09:10
Possibly, but the old HT blocks can just go low output, I have had that

Indeed - I bought an old set that didn't seem that dynamic; refreshed the EHT units and away they go. The diodes break down over time - I'd go as far as suggesting if they haven't been done then do them anyhow.

Fairly straightforward DIY exercise assuming you have the wax encased designs - I did a full write up on PFM when I did mine a couple of years back. You just need to cook them for a while to melt the wax. Change the caps at the same time - even though they are probably OK, better to be safe given the low additional cost/time to replace them too.

Oh, it brings them to life too :)

Richard